[Guide][FIX][No Root] Can't establish a reliable connection. (New Method)

Search This thread

inaqi69

Nov 21, 2012
www.Qhub.tk
TWGurqJ.png

on XDA Portal (02/09/2015) :)
[REMOVED from portal:mad:]
yF5U4W4.png

TWGurqJ.png

Sometimes you get error message saying Cant Establish a reliable data connection to server. Which takes hours, days or sometimes week to fix. :angel:

swOC1MI.jpg

TWGurqJ.png

Today i am going to show you a guide by which you can skip this error easily. i know there are many threads related to this,, but this one is different. You don't need to delete any host file, or any file manager or Root. This method did worked for me and i didnt find this on XDA. (Sorry if there is already).

Lets jump in to the Fix now! :laugh:

There are two ways, first one is by going to router settings and second one is through your device.

• Open your browser
• Goto 192.168.1.1
• Sign in (default username and password is "admin" without quotes)
• After you are signed in to your router follow this picture:

BmXiaM0.png

If above method don't work for you dont worry try this method below: :)

First step is connecting to wifi, if you are already connected to wifi then disconnect and again connect with this method:
Remember that: there will be values in light color just use that light color values not mine. Maybe in your case its different. for example in step#4 below its showing 192.168.1.1 as default gateway i am using that. If its change in your case then use your :)
• Enter wifi password, Check mark on Show Advanced Options:
15r2sH1.png

• Change IP Settings to Static:
4vkegkR.png

• Write down the IP Address that is already written in the box:
zsyXDVo.png

• Similarly, Gateway:
sJxGHYL.png

• Network Prefix Length, DNS 1 & DNS 2:
8Kp1HiT.png

• After writing all of these Tap on Connect:
fXnMV1a.png

• Now you will be connected to the wifi:
yyrHAiS.png

• You can now download apps or sign in to google successfully! :fingers-crossed:
LyFLKqE.png

TWGurqJ.png

Hit thanks :good: if this works for you! :)

Last edited:

spoidar

Aug 13, 2010
This is not good advice. How does this stuff end up on the portal?

Here are some of the things that are wrong with this advice:
  • If you enter an address that is already in use, now neither your device nor the device that was already using the address can connect to anything reliably, you've just broken someone else's networking
  • Even if no other device is using the IP currently, if DHCP is not completely broken then the DHCP server may give out that address at a later time because it doesn't know anyone is using it, and then again, neither your device, nor the device that just obtained the address, will be able to connect to anything reliably
  • It assumes every network uses the 192.168.1.1/24 subnet
  • It doesn't fix the actual problem

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
This is not good advice. How does this stuff end up on the portal?b(...) It doesn't fix the actual problem
Was just about to say, how would configuring a static ip instead of a dynamic one fix "the problem"? As there is probably no common cause to all suffering from the same error message, there is no "the problem". This here is probably simply a malconfigured network.

So not good advice indeed and thread starter does not seem very knowledgeable about how networks, dhcp and ip stuff works.

spoidar

Aug 13, 2010
The other router uses 192.168.0.x
Well, the IANA designated private subnets are:

10.0.0.0/8
172.16.0.0/12
192.168.0.0/16

So, networks may use any of these, or any smaller subnet. And the gateway could be any address within that subnet.

inaqi69

Nov 21, 2012
www.Qhub.tk

• If you enter an address that is already in use, now neither your device nor the device that was already using the address can connect to anything reliably, you've just broken someone else's networking
  • Even if no other device is using the IP currently, if DHCP is not completely broken then the DHCP server may give out that address at a later time because it doesn't know anyone is using it, and then again, neither your device, nor the device that just obtained the address, will be able to connect to anything reliably

I dont know why are you saying this but dude this works :). There are many other method to fix this problem, some of them works and some won't in some users. How can you say that It doesn't fix the actual problem. It did mine and obviously some other users too. I dont know much about that DHCP and subnet but this solution works.

inaqi69

Nov 21, 2012
www.Qhub.tk
Was just about to say, how would configuring a static ip instead of a dynamic one fix "the problem"? As there is probably no common cause to all suffering from the same error message, there is no "the problem". This here is probably simply a malconfigured network.

So not good advice indeed and thread starter does not seem very knowledgeable about how networks, dhcp and ip stuff works.

Yep! You are right i am not knowledgeable but this guide works :cyclops:

spoidar

Aug 13, 2010
I dont know why are you saying this but dude this works :). There are many other method to fix this problem, some of them works and some won't in some users. How can you say that It doesn't fix the actual problem. It did mine and obviously some other users too. I dont know much about that DHCP and subnet but this solution works.
I'm saying this because I actually understand how networks function. It works for you thanks to dumb luck. Read my post again and try to absorb some of what's written there.

I can't believe this was featured on the portal, is nothing actually checked?
Doesn't appear to be. I think I'm going to have to remove XDA from my news feed, the portal seems to be nearly entirely filled with trash now.

inaqi69

Nov 21, 2012
www.Qhub.tk
I'm saying this because I actually understand how networks function. It works for you thanks to dumb luck. Read my post again and try to absorb some of what's written there.

Doesn't appear to be. I think I'm going to have to remove XDA from my news feed, the portal seems to be nearly entirely filled with trash now.

What's wrong with you? This is working! Not in mine many other people too. Just wait and see :p

Reactions: ratedadorable

schaggo

Jan 16, 2008
Zürich
@inaqi69 I understand your excitement, but sorry to disappoint you, I'm with @spoidar on this one. There is no technical relevancy to your writeup, it's "dumb luck" that it worked for you.

Quick question: why do I have to fill in completely different values, and I mean *completely different* values...? I tried with yours, now my connectivity is *completely broken* I cant do anything anymore. Nothing, I'm offline. Why?

Paul L.

Nov 22, 2011
Mendoza

I think this issue is more of a "buggy/broken DHCP server" on your router/modem/ISP issue.

I really don't see how this would fix anything else otherwise.

granets

Oct 14, 2011
Vratsa
Maybe you can use this guide to change the default DNS and leave everything else as it was. I tried this when I bought my nexus 5 and it was unable to connect and download from the playstore, but nothing helped. I even contacted google support and they had no idea what was wrong. Half an hour later it just started working. So this is not 100% working, not even close...

pat99

Dec 4, 2013
Dortmund
Looks promising but what about those other half who doesn't have Static IP and stuck with Dynamic? Like for example i've tried to follow given steps and at final step connect button was darken so couldn't able to make it possible.

Also, given setting was default on every other Android Device, if we choose Static IP. So what's the point?

fabiane79

Mar 8, 2008
Atlanta
www.linkedin.com
Assign dedicated IP

most routers have a feature to assign a dedicated IP. A recommendation is to change your router DHCP DNS and a class C /25 subnet mask

DHCP 192.168.2.1
DNS 192.1683.1
DNS2 192.168.4.1
Subnet 255.255.255.128

If you have a dual band router in my case I have a Asus RT-AC66U separate your wireless AC and N (ex ssid1 ASUS-AC, ssid2 ASUS-N) I also increase the TX power to 100 but I'll recommend having a secondary router and set it up as a Access Point and creating a scheduler to turn off the radio off your primary router (ex. router1 operates from 7am to 11:59pm router2 operates from 12am to 6:59am)

Last edited:

coolkoushik07

Oct 26, 2009
Kolkata
What's wrong with you? This is working! Not in mine many other people too. Just wait and see :p

actually nothing wrong with him, but its wrong with your trick.. My routers default gateway is 192.168.0.1 and I lost connectivity after following your trick.. So its not a trick.. Its dumb luck as he said..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    TWGurqJ.png

on XDA Portal (02/09/2015) :)
    [REMOVED from portal:mad:]
    yF5U4W4.png

TWGurqJ.png

Sometimes you get error message saying Cant Establish a reliable data connection to server. Which takes hours, days or sometimes week to fix. :angel:

swOC1MI.jpg

TWGurqJ.png

Today i am going to show you a guide by which you can skip this error easily. i know there are many threads related to this,, but this one is different. You don't need to delete any host file, or any file manager or Root. This method did worked for me and i didnt find this on XDA. (Sorry if there is already).

Lets jump in to the Fix now! :laugh:

There are two ways, first one is by going to router settings and second one is through your device.

• Open your browser
    • Goto 192.168.1.1
    • Sign in (default username and password is "admin" without quotes)
    • After you are signed in to your router follow this picture:

BmXiaM0.png

If above method don't work for you dont worry try this method below: :)

First step is connecting to wifi, if you are already connected to wifi then disconnect and again connect with this method:
    Remember that: there will be values in light color just use that light color values not mine. Maybe in your case its different. for example in step#4 below its showing 192.168.1.1 as default gateway i am using that. If its change in your case then use your :)
    • Enter wifi password, Check mark on Show Advanced Options:
    15r2sH1.png

• Change IP Settings to Static:
    4vkegkR.png

• Write down the IP Address that is already written in the box:
    zsyXDVo.png

• Similarly, Gateway:
    sJxGHYL.png

• Network Prefix Length, DNS 1 & DNS 2:
    8Kp1HiT.png

• After writing all of these Tap on Connect:
    fXnMV1a.png

• Now you will be connected to the wifi:
    yyrHAiS.png

• You can now download apps or sign in to google successfully! :fingers-crossed:
    LyFLKqE.png

TWGurqJ.png

Hit thanks :good: if this works for you! :)

This is not good advice. How does this stuff end up on the portal?b(...) It doesn't fix the actual problem

No not my values but use the one that are shown lightly (sorry i am not english speaker). I was saying put the values that are already written like (...) its showing 192.168.1.1 as default gateway (its light in color) just use that. Not mine. Maybe in your case its different. :mad: P.S i have updated the thread too
    So thank you for proving my point that your advice is rubbish. Please do not further populate your advice which is, simply put, wrong. Here you go with my explanation:

My hotspot configuration:
    ssid_pc.PNG
    Please note that the IP address of this adapter is 192.168.137.1 (<- important bit!) the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (<- important bit!). This is where all the network traffic flows through, this is the "gateway", this is where the data goes to and comes from. This must be configured on the device, if set to manual/static.

On the phone, when having on auto the phone pulls those values in, important part marked with a red arrow:
    ssid_auto.png
    Absolutely correctly, Android gets the dynamic IP of 192.168.137.75 which is in the same range as the gateway, which has 192.168.137.1. Subnet mask is not shown, but of course - otherwise I wouldn't be able to access the net - configured correctly to 255.255.255.0.

On the phone, without changin anything else, when setting to static I get the following default values, most important bits marked with red arrows
    ssid_manual.png
    The prepopulated IP address is 192.168.1.128 (as in your example), the gateway is prepopulated with 192.168.1.1 (as in your example) and the DNS 1 server is prepopulated with 8.8.8.8, as in your example. Now if I'd really fill in and confirm these values, I'd be on a completely different network than my hotspot and be cut off the internet completely, with no way of data flowing from or to my device. I'd be, simply put: offline.

The values you are proposing are prepopulated, imaginary example values put there by Google with no real connection to the real world, to your network whatsoever. It's by pure luck that your network matches these numbers, that your gateway is 192.168.1.1 and that 192.168.1.128 is accepted as a client. On my home network I have a limited pool of 32 addresses, so only x.x.x.2 to x.x.x.34 would be valid IP's, x.x.x.128 would be rejected straight away. This is appart from the fact that my home network doesn't even use 192.168.1.x but 10.0.0.x. So I hope you see, its pure luck that the values, by accident, match your network.

I just checked your opening post, you are proposing to override your routers dns configuration put 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 there. Do you even know what 8.8.8.8 is, where you are pointing your router at? You are simply using Google's public DNS, which works but is not recommended. Your ISP's DNS is just fine. Leave it on automatic.to prove my point, once more, important bits marked in red:
    ssid_dns.png
    You're using google-public-dns-a.google.com and google-public-dns-b.google.com

I'll try once more to figuratively explain, what you are proposing and what you are very proud of, using a car analogy (yes, car analogies always work, because: well, who doesn't know what a car is and how it works...?:p )
    You are telling your fellow users which have problems with their car making strange noises, to go out the house, get in the car, drive left, left and then right. stop at the filling station, put 20 liters of diesel in the tank, clean the windows and then drive off. This must work, as it worked with your car.
    Problem is: not everyone has a filling station when driving left, left and right (10.0.0.1 vs 192.168.1.1), then we have the poor guy with a petrol powered car filling diesel in his tank (10.0.0.34 vs 192.168.1.128) effectively ruining his engine and subsequently wiping your windows, which has nothing to do with anyone's car making noise.

Seriously, it's pure luck. Take your stuff off the net. But given how your "solution" works for you, I - and probably many others - could guess what your real problem is and why it does get indeed "solved" with what you do/did.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone