[GUIDE] Flashing a different customization on the XQ-AT51 with FlashTool

Search This thread

KlausWillSeeYouNow

Sep 19, 2013
Flashtool then repaired with Xperia Companion

About phone-sim status-mobile voice network type LTE

Not sure if it is working or not as I have never had VoLTE with ATT because they are a PIA about an unlocked device

Wait...is your physical hardware XQ-AT51 or XQ-AT52?

The reason I ask is because I have an XQ-AT52 running Customized US XQ-AT51 firmware, and I'm unable to do a restore with Xperia Companion. Despite that, everything seems normal.

mehdi_s82

Oct 30, 2007
Rockville, MD
If it doesn't make any difference, it's probably because of their ridiculous VoLTE "whitelist." Call AT&T and provide them the IMEI of an AT&T-branded VoLTE-compatible device, and it should work for you once you put it in your Xperia 1 ii. I can't guarantee it'll work in this case, but it certainly has for other devices of mine in the past.

Got to the bottom of AT&T story. What you suggest doesn't work, they whitelist by specific IMEI and not simcard/phone number. I have a basic ATT phone that my current sim card works with VoLTE but same sim on Xperia 1 Ii doesn't work for VoLTE. After a long discussion with tech support, and filing FCC complaint, I got a call from "Office of the president" from AT&T and the lady flat out said go buy AT&T branded phone or else it wouldn't work. When I told her that I have been ATT customer for 13 years and this will make me switch, she said "I said what I had to say, it is your call from here". So there you have it :) Going to switch my carrier soon.

augie7107

Mar 18, 2009
Boston
Sony Xperia Pro-I
Wait...is your physical hardware XQ-AT51 or XQ-AT52?

The reason I ask is because I have an XQ-AT52 running Customized US XQ-AT51 firmware, and I'm unable to do a restore with Xperia Companion. Despite that, everything seems normal.

XQ-AT51. I couldn't care less if it's LTE or not for voice. If ATT wants to make it so you have to buy a branded phone to use they're network I'll be switching carriers as well.

KlausWillSeeYouNow

Sep 19, 2013
Got to the bottom of AT&T story. What you suggest doesn't work, they whitelist by specific IMEI and not simcard/phone number. I have a basic ATT phone that my current sim card works with VoLTE but same sim on Xperia 1 Ii doesn't work for VoLTE. After a long discussion with tech support, and filing FCC complaint, I got a call from "Office of the president" from AT&T and the lady flat out said go buy AT&T branded phone or else it wouldn't work. When I told her that I have been ATT customer for 13 years and this will make me switch, she said "I said what I had to say, it is your call from here". So there you have it :) Going to switch my carrier soon.

XQ-AT51. I couldn't care less if it's LTE or not for voice. If ATT wants to make it so you have to buy a branded phone to use they're network I'll be switching carriers as well.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I hear you loud and clear! It's too bad AT&T has such an absurd policy – just a flagrant moneygrab. Might I suggest T-Mobile? :D Been very happy with them for over 10 years. (Although I'm not thrilled that they have accelerated the timeline of sunsetting 3G, I do understand the reasoning behind it. While it isn't great for people who don't have a VoLTE-compatible device and aren't able to flash a stock ROM like we did to support it, at least they're being transparent about it, and not sending out ridiculous emails like AT&T is. Not to mention they don't believe in IMEI whitelisting, and leave their VoLTE source open to anybody who wants to implement it! Very fair, in my book.) But I digress.

I think the reason you are able to do the restore via Xperia Companion (and I'm not) is because you went from one Customization of XQ-AT51 to another. I went from an XQ-AT52 firmware to XQ-AT51, and I'm unable to perform a full restore via Xperia Companion right now. (Obviously, I know how to flash, so this is not a problem. But I'm just wondering if it indicates anything else I should be aware of.) I can't help but wonder if you flashed an XQ-AT52 firmware on your XQ-AT51 whether Xperia Companion would give you the same error!

Do either of you (or anyone) know whether flashing an XQ-AT52 firmware on the XQ-AT51 results in the same error in Xperia Companion? Also, does a -52 firmware on the -51 enable Dual-SIM on the XQ-AT51? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)

Reactions: augie7107

NunoB512

Flashtool then repaired with Xperia Companion

About phone-sim status-mobile voice network type LTE

Not sure if it is working or not as I have never had VoLTE with ATT because they are a PIA about an unlocked device
I can see that you have AT&T the bars are different from TMobile, if you go to Network details it will have a VoLTE toggle switch if your phone is enabled. When I put my AT&T sim on my xperia I lose the VoLTE.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I hear you loud and clear! It's too bad AT&T has such an absurd policy – just a flagrant moneygrab. Might I suggest T-Mobile? :D Been very happy with them for over 10 years. (Although I'm not thrilled that they have accelerated the timeline of sunsetting 3G, I do understand the reasoning behind it. While it isn't great for people who don't have a VoLTE-compatible device and aren't able to flash a stock ROM like we did to support it, at least they're being transparent about it, and not sending out ridiculous emails like AT&T is. Not to mention they don't believe in IMEI whitelisting, and leave their VoLTE source open to anybody who wants to implement it! Very fair, in my book.) But I digress.

I think the reason you are able to do the restore via Xperia Companion (and I'm not) is because you went from one Customization of XQ-AT51 to another. I went from an XQ-AT52 firmware to XQ-AT51, and I'm unable to perform a full restore via Xperia Companion right now. (Obviously, I know how to flash, so this is not a problem. But I'm just wondering if it indicates anything else I should be aware of.) I can't help but wonder if you flashed an XQ-AT52 firmware on your XQ-AT51 whether Xperia Companion would give you the same error!

Do either of you (or anyone) know whether flashing an XQ-AT52 firmware on the XQ-AT51 results in the same error in Xperia Companion? Also, does a -52 firmware on the -51 enable Dual-SIM on the XQ-AT51? Inquiring minds want to know! ;)
I run into the same issue when I flashed my xperia 1 dual sim last year to the single sim US Firmware. Can't use the Xperia Companion.

Reactions: KlausWillSeeYouNow

avetny

Jul 16, 2010
Private Island.
Maybe stupid question but what is that call pop up... Is that a stock thing?

There is no stupid questions my friend !
But what is pop up ?
Call screen is Pixel feature. You can forward any incoming call to Google Assistant. And you will see all conversation on a screen, without own participation.
So basically if I receiving a call from uknown number i can press "Answer" or "Decline" or Screen call.
(Usually if you doing something on a phone, example gaming or watching video you will see a window "pop up" with choice of answering (Answer/Decline/Screen call)

Jeshter2000

Aug 24, 2010
There is no stupid questions my friend !
But what is pop up ?
Call screen is Pixel feature. You can forward any incoming call to Google Assistant. And you will see all conversation on a screen, without own participation.
So basically if I receiving a call from uknown number i can press "Answer" or "Decline" or Screen call.
(Usually if you doing something on a phone, example gaming or watching video you will see a window "pop up" with choice of answering.

Ok thanks!

KlausWillSeeYouNow

Sep 19, 2013
I can see that you have AT&T the bars are different from TMobile, if you go to Network details it will have a VoLTE toggle switch if your phone is enabled. When I put my AT&T sim on my xperia I lose the VoLTE.

---------- Post added at 08:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

I run into the same issue when I flashed my xperia 1 dual sim last year to the single sim US Firmware. Can't use the Xperia Companion.

That settles it, then. I'm sure you received OTAs (and they were fine). I guess it really is a complete conversion, but for some reason, this is normal behavior to be expected from Xperia Companion in that circumstance. Thank you for confirming!:D

Montane

Jun 27, 2020
I'm really interesting in flashing again but I'm worried I'll lose all my data and apps. Is this the case? Never really flashed before more than once and there's some important data on my phone. I have a SD car dinserted but can't see how to backup on it or transfer. Any hints?

avetny

Jul 16, 2010
Private Island.
Does anyone know if we'll get future OTAs for us who flashed different region firmware?

Yes u will.

---------- Post added at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

I'm really interesting in flashing again but I'm worried I'll lose all my data and apps. Is this the case? Never really flashed before more than once and there's some important data on my phone. I have a SD car dinserted but can't see how to backup on it or transfer. Any hints?

If you worry about loosing data, all this hacking and flashing is not for you. No offense please.

Reactions: mehdi_s82

tanipat

Nov 22, 2011
i have tw version and wait for SEA fw to release so that i can flash it. Anybody tried other fw that able to activate volte and 5G in Thailand?

GawarFR

Aug 8, 2019
If there's one thing I learned in the past years about VoLTE is that its such a messed up implementation. Each carrier has its own configuration and nobody can assume a global phone should work fine on any carrier VoLTE. Have you contacted your carrier that it doesnt work and see what they say?
Yep, they told me they had no way they can fix that as my phone has a global ROM. They proposed to turn off and turn on again VoLTE. Guess what, nothing changed ?

sutekidane

Jun 15, 2010
Macau SAR
+1 success on directly flashing US FW (58.0.A.3.88) on XQ-AT52 HK variant with all userdata intact.

Added features: RAW, RAW+JPEG on Camera Pro, VoLTE on network menu, July security patch, and VoLTE (TMUS) provisioned on *#*#4636#*#*.
Missing feature: 5G NR is no longer an option in networks menu. SIM2 is completely disabled from all menus.

Off-topic: WiFi calling is not enabled/provisioned for TMUS in this FW. After comparing the OEM folders between the 1ii and XZP (which has VoLTE and WiFi Calling working on TMUS), it seems like the necessary IMS files, modem.config, and configuration for WiFi Calling are missing on the US 58.0.A.3.88 firmware for now. Hopefully those files will be added later on.

Last edited:
Reactions: KlausWillSeeYouNow

mehdi_s82

Oct 30, 2007
Rockville, MD
after reading what tmobile will do to non VoLTE phones on tmobile got me all worry about my new XPERIA 1 ii will not work in the future.
If your T-Mobile phone doesn't have VoLTE, you could get kicked off the network soon

i currently got the XQ-AT52 purple. if i do flash to US firmware will i lose all my data (app settings), 5G, FOTA, and fingerprint sensor??

Will be a fresh install so have to redo apps etc but backup before doing this. Only thing you lose is useless 5g

samteeee

Warning!!

After successfully flashing the US firmware on XQ-AT52 with "NewFlash",
you CANNOT switch back to a non-US firmware! And will end up "Corrupted"! And you have to flash back to a US firmware! At least in my case. The only thing I haven't tried is with the "FlashTool" software as it is too complicated.
And we already know it isn't possible through Xperia Companion software as you end up with an error.
Hope this info would help you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can find out your current customization by dialling *#*#SERVICE#*#* -> Service info -> Software Info -> Customization Version. This guide explains how to flash another official Sony firmware of different customization onto your Xperia 1 II XQ-AT51. You do NOT need to unlock your bootloader to do this.
    1. Download and install FlashTool from http://www.flashtool.net
    2. On Windows you will then need to install the Flashmode and Fastboot drivers.
      On Linux you do not need to install drivers, but you do need to set some udev rules.

On Windows you will first need to reboot Windows with driver signature enforcement disabled to do this. Then install the Flashmode and Fastboot drivers from the installed C:\FlashTool\drivers\Flashtool-drivers.exe:
      drivers.png

3. Open Flashtool and let the device database sync
      This may fail on Windows if you have Windows Defender Antivirus Real-time protection running -- disable Windows Defender Antivirus Real-time protection in Windows settings:
      antivirus.png
    4. Click on the XperiFirm icon to get a list of official Sony firmwares:
      xperifirm_selection.png
    5. Select the XQ-AT51 on the left, and the select the particular Customization you would like. Then click on the box below "Available Firmware" to start downloading:
      donwload.png
    6. Once the Firmware has downloaded, close XperiFirm and then let FlashTool do some processing on the downloaded firmware to create a .ftf file of the firmware in your C:\Users\<username>\.flashTool\firmwares folder.
    7. This step is no longer needed as the FlashTool database has now been updated. This step is temporary and will not be required once the FlashTool devices database has been updated for the XQ-AT51.
      Download the .fsc file and .properties file and unzip them into a new folder in C:\Users\<username>\.flashTool\mydevices\XQ_AT51 . Rename the .fsc file to "58.0.fsc" to use it with more firmware versions. Then in FlashTool's menu choose Devices->Manage->Import -- this will give an error, but ignore.
      fsc_download.png
    8. Now click on the Flash button and choose Flashmode.
      flash.png
    9. Set up the Firmware Selector window as follows - this setup will erase all data on your phone. Then click Flash:
      flashtool_settings.png
    10. When prompted, power off your phone and then hold down the volume down key on your phone and connect a USB cable from the phone to your computer (do NOT use the UCB24 USB C - USB C cable that comes with the phone -- the UCB24 is for charging only and does not work -- you need to use a quality USB C - USB A cable or try the UCB32 instead). Keep the volume down key held until the notification light turns green. The flashing process will now be prepared.
    11. When you get a prompt saying "A FSC script is found. Do you want to use it?" choose yes. An error of "those data are not in the fsc script: persist, reset-non-secure-adb" is entirely normal, so choose Yes, and let the flashing commence. If you get a prompt asking you to select a partition, select the top option for 128GB storage and the bottom for 256GB storage -- if unsure click cancel. If you get "ERROR:null" then repair your phone with Xperia Companion first.
      reset_adb_error.png
    12. Flashing will be complete when you see "Sync status : OKAY".

If you are worried as to whether the flashing worked or not, you can always then do a software repair using the Xperia Companion software. Please check your storage after flashing - some users are reporting that they only are seeing 128 GB of storage instead of 256 GB - please repair with Xperia Companion if you see this and report in the comments below.

Switched to T-Mobile today after 20 yrs with ATT. VoLTE working fine.
    Tomorrow they start shipping the US Mark II version I hope they can get it going I want the white version and not the black one. By the way Google Fi offers VoLTE and Wifi calling on the Xperia 1 without any need for flashing

Lmao im not gonna give up on color. Matter of time now.
    Hey,
    I saw your post here: https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=82876277#post82876277
    here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82876571&postcount=2
    and here: https://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=82896159&postcount=2
    where each post refers the other in 3 different threads.
    Considering that you have already put the effort to write these, would you mind to aggregate this information in a single post, possibly the first post of this thread and rename it to a guide?

Done.

I have also made a pull request in the FlashTool devices db so that we won't have to do the .fsc and .properties bit in the future.
    @KlausWillSeeYouNow

Which international AT52 did you get? I got the HK one and the only downside that I've really seen is that I can't send group MMS with Android messages (works on other sms apps). I know for my previous international Xperias I just had to flash the US firmware to get it going but I'm hesitant since I don't want to lose my dual SIM functionality. Wondering if your TW firmware allows group MMS via Android messages?

I had the HK one and flashed the Taiwan one onto it and now my group messages works. I used newflasher