{GUIDE} Flashing the SM-935U firmware onto your Verizon S7 Edge and Rooting

Search This thread

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Alright here is a guide to installing the unlocked S7 Edge firmware onto your Verizon S7 edge. I will also be giving some tips on setting up specific parameters to get the best battery and performance towards the end of this guide. A list of credits for all the folks who actually discovered and wrote about all these topics will be at the end of the guide as well. All credit goes to those guys!!!!

I am not responsible for anything that occurs to your phone. Period. Use this Guide at your own risk.

Part 1: Installing the 935U firmware

WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE (except SD card)! BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START THIS PROCESS.

Before you start, make sure you have the Samsung phone USB drivers installed. If you do not have them installed ODIN will not recognize your phone. Here is a link to the drivers installation package: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...G_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.00.exe

Note: I personally had success with this version of Odin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6a2xg2frrin92o6/odin_3.12.3.rar?dl=0 (MD5 - 9C878DB69273148F01910D1CBCB1ABBD)
However another user couldn’t get it to work and used this version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfe8zn2adnwdtuw/ODIN .zip?dl=0 (MD5 - 136E707B39C2E4CDC47820C68065CD5C)

How to install:

Step 1. Put your phone in download mode. You do this by having the phone off and pressing the power button, the home button, and the volume down button at the same time, holding them until the download screen comes up. Sometimes there will be a prompt that says press the home button to continue to download mode. In that case press the home button as well.

Step 2. Flash the 4 files in this zip (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24588212152304771)(MD5 - BB4D013B3B6D7638484A4B0F56953BFA) to your phone using Odin, all 4 of them at the same time. Unzip the files into the folder that contains your ODIN installation, or a folder where they are easy to find. Open up ODIN and put the BL file in the BL slot, AP file in the AP slot, and so on. Then flash all 4 at once.

I have flashed the U firmware multiple times in experimentation and at one point the flash failed. I simply forced the phone to reboot into download mode (by the normal method listed above) and tried reflashing. It went through just fine. So don't panic, just retry.

Part 2: Rooting the U firmware

NOTE: This guide is mostly taken from an excellent guide already made by @Argyrus. The only reason I am posting it here is to keep the flow of the overall guide together.

First off download these files (https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4yymhbthn6nmqp/Root Files.zip?dl=0) and extract all the files to one main folder. Make sure all the files that are in the "SuperSU-v2.76-S7QC" folder are moved to the main folder.

- Folder named "SuperSU-v2.76-S7QC" contains the SuperSU and thing needed to root the phone
- ADB Setup EXE called "adb-setup-1.4.3.exe", needed to install ADB and the Drivers
- Special patched Odin that skips the SHA 225 called Odin PrinceComsy.exe (Mainly for AT&T) including an .ini file named "Odin3.ini"
- file named "Samsung_G935x_QC_Rooted_BOOT.TAR", this is the engBoot for the phone that will allow rooting

NOTE: Some users have experienced endless boot loop; this seems to be caused by using a package disabler that disabled certain services. If you used one and end up getting an endless boot loop try wiping the cache and factory reset the phone.

1. Install ADB by running adb-setup-1.4.3.exe (select YES to all options, especially system wide ADB)
2. Make sure to put your phone into downloading mode (Power off--- Hold Down arrow + Home + Power button)
3. Open up Odin and click AP and mount Samsung_G935x_QC_Rooted_BOOT.TAR, then flash it
4. Once restarted put the phone into USB debugging mode, if it is not already enabled (need Developer options for this)
4b. To get developer mode, go to "About" then tap "build number" about 6 or 7 times
4c. Go back to settings and you should now see developer options, turn on USB debugging
5. Now back on your PC, double click on the file called "root.bat" (it should be in the main folder with ALL the other files, aka no subfolders)
6. Wait for the CMD to finish and then your phone should restart
7. Once your phone has finally restarted you will notice that SuperSU was installed and root should be working, download root checker to find out for yourself.

Part 3: Implementing all the Verizon specific fixes (enable Verizon volte, fix wifi password saving issues, doze issues, cpu issues, VVM, etc.)

1. Download the Verizon s7 edge fix zips (there are two zips that will be flashed together in a certain order) (File 1 - http://dl.psouza4.com/android/S7_or_S7Edge_Fixes_V15.zip)(File 2 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591023225178488)

2. Use Flashfire (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.flash&hl=en) to flash both zips, keep the standard options that are already selected in Flashfire. Arrange the zips so that S7_or_S7Edge_Fixes_V15.zip is flashed first, and Verizon_VVM_Volte_Wifi_Calling_G935U_Fix.zip is flashed second. It will auto reboot after flashing both files.

3. Profit

Also it is always a good idea to change all the animation speeds to .5, which you can find under the developer options. This speeds up the phone visually, providing for a faster user experience.

Part 4: Setting up xposed and additional battery life saving tools (optional)

These are some steps that I have taken to see great battery life results. Feel free to try them out and see if they work for you.

1. Install xposed using Flashfire (only use the modified xposed zip below or else you will have serious issues)
Here is the modified xposed zip to flash through Flashfire (https://www.dropbox.com/s/67aujyog5...arm64-custom-build-by-wanam-20160709.zip?dl=0)

Note: It takes a while to boot after flashing this due to the cache rebuild. Do not panic, let it do its thing.

Also you will need to install the Xposed apk to be able to use Xposed: (https://www.dropbox.com/s/euqp5ofg32gjspj/XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk?dl=0)

2. Install Greenify (xposed module) and enable all the additional features (donate only), including aggressive doze. Add any apps that are running in the background that seem to be battery hogs and enable auto-hibernation.

I also went through the system files and removed or froze any Samsung files I did not want with Titanium. But that's just a personal preference of mine, I'm OCD about files I have enabled on my phone lol.

Note: By request I have posted screenshots of all the files I have frozen, as well as a screenshot of all the apps I have greenifyed. I decided to Greenify more apps than disable this time to see if I get the same battery life as disabling everything. Time will tell.

That's about it. Hopefully this is helpful to us Verizon users who are trying to comb through multiple forums trying to find all the pieces to the puzzle in regards to flashing and rooting the U firmware. I am simply putting everything into one guide, along with any additions which I learned from my personal experience flashing and rooting my S7E onto the U firmware.

If there is any questions or comments hit me up, i'd be happy to help anyway I can.

Cheers!

Credits:
@Misterxtc for the U firmware link (and firmware updates in general)
@wanam for the modified xposed installation for samsung phones
@psouza4 for the fix zip that cures many issues
@gtg465x for providing info on the U files
@Symphony0fLife for his excellent AT&T guide which I used a lot of here
@jrkruse for his CSC and ims hacks and the U fix zip
@Argyrus for his guide on how to root our Verizon phones
@Mastajeff for his original T-mobile guide that helped Argyrus and I with our guides
@br3w3r, @Chainfire and @princecomsy for making the root possible and guiding us towards the light of freedom
@Syn Ack for posting a guide with all the fixes he had collected from other forums
@lahegry for originally posting the modified xposed zip
@Snoop05 for his awesome system wide ABD installation package

NOTE: If I have forgotten anyone on the credits list please let me know and I will add them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160709-192336.jpg
    Screenshot_20160709-192336.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 11,633
  • Screenshot_20160709-192621.jpg
    Screenshot_20160709-192621.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 11,730
Last edited:

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
I would love for someone who uses wifi calling on Verizon to try out the CSC file replacement I have posted here. I want to see if that file fixes that function but i personally don't use Wi-Fi calling so I can't test out out.....

Sent from my Verizon S7 Edge (U firmware / rooted)

TheWu-Wei

Mar 15, 2016
Walla Walla
This is outstanding. Thank you so much!

I've yet to go through the whole process, as I want to set aside some time to prepare everything, etc. But I was wondering whether you'd be willing to share a list of the packages you froze or removed with Titanium. I am also a minimalist when it comes to what files I keep around on any device. If you'd prefer to share via PM, that's fine too. I know those kinds of lists elicit a variety of reactions from a variety of users. ;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using XDA Labs

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA

I've yet to go through the whole process, as I want to set aside some time to prepare everything, etc. But I was wondering whether you'd be willing to share a list of the packages you froze or removed with Titanium. I am also a minimalist when it comes to what files I keep around on any device. If you'd prefer to share via PM, that's fine too. I know those kinds of lists elicit a variety of reactions from a variety of users. ;)

No prob! Glad I could help in a small way. I'll post the screenshot of what I have disabled to the main thread..... let the haters hate, it don't bother me ??

Last edited:
Reactions: TheWu-Wei

dartz28

Feb 15, 2011
Quick question
I already rooted us8ng adb
-So to flash U firmware
I use regular Odin for that
-Then is modded Odin for Eng g935x_qc_rooted_boot.tar. is that right?
- then adb and root.bat?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA

Screenshots are posted ?

Reactions: MrWicked1

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Quick question
I already rooted us8ng adb
-So to flash U firmware
I use regular Odin for that
-Then is modded Odin for Eng g935x_qc_rooted_boot.tar. is that right?
- then adb and root.bat?

Yea it actually does not matter that you are rooted. You are basically starting over from scratch by using ODIN to flash the U firmware. So start at the beginning and follow all the steps and you should be good!

dartz28

Feb 15, 2011
Yea it actually does not matter that you are rooted. You are basically starting over from scratch by using ODIN to flash the U firmware. So start at the beginning and follow all the steps and you should be good!

Okay thank you.

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Thanks so much for this!
What's your reasoning for leaving greenify aggressive doze off?
No worries! I leave aggressive doze off because I use Force Doze to control doze instead. It does a much better job than Greenify at dozing quickly, as long as you use xposed to manage it. Force Doze screws up auto rotate and auto brightness bad if you don't use xposed settings in it.

Reactions: zachchen1996

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Md5s to check downloads please and thank you for posting this can't wait to try it out
I will post the md5 files when I get back to my house tonight. Also it appears that the ODIN files mediafire link is down. I will replace all links in my guide with files linked to my Dropbox to ensure they stay live and reliable.

ykjae

Oct 19, 2013
OnePlus 8T
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Can someone repost the vzw files? It won't let me view them keeps taking me to file manager. Weird.

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Can someone repost the vzw files? It won't let me view them keeps taking me to file manager. Weird.

Nevermind I got it thank you.

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA

---------- Post added at 02:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 AM ----------

Yea I'll repost all the files hosted from my own Dropbox when I get home, so that I know the files won't get deleted or moved. I don't like mega download anyways lol

dajmanjt

Oct 3, 2010
Shreveport, LA
Md5s to check downloads please and thank you for posting this can't wait to try it out

All files (except the U firmware files) have been uploaded to my Dropbox and posted with md5 info. The U firmware has also been updated with md5 info. If the mediafire link ever goes down for the U firmware I will share a Dropbox link to that file as well.
What's your battery life looking like?
I am getting 5 to 6 hours screen on time with medium to heavy usage (navigation, maps, streaming music, YouTube, Tapatalk, internet browsing, etc)

NoogynSmith

Apr 21, 2016
Hi, I need help with one of the step to root the phone. So i was able to flash the .tar file on the phone using the custom Odin but I couldn't flash SU on the phone. Whenever I tried to run the root.bat file the cmd return this:

C:\adb\super>adb wait-for-device
'adb' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Please help!

markwebb

Thanks again for this. So, If I have the actual unlocked phone which already has the U firmware, I can skip a few steps and just root, do the cpu fixes, etc., right? The only thing I don't like about this phone is lack of voicemail notifications since the U firmware is stripped of that function.

Or is it better for me to perform all of the steps knowing I can flash the full U firmware to get back to the original state if I have to?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Alright here is a guide to installing the unlocked S7 Edge firmware onto your Verizon S7 edge. I will also be giving some tips on setting up specific parameters to get the best battery and performance towards the end of this guide. A list of credits for all the folks who actually discovered and wrote about all these topics will be at the end of the guide as well. All credit goes to those guys!!!!

I am not responsible for anything that occurs to your phone. Period. Use this Guide at your own risk.

Part 1: Installing the 935U firmware

WARNING: YOU WILL LOSE ALL DATA ON YOUR PHONE (except SD card)! BACKUP EVERYTHING BEFORE YOU START THIS PROCESS.

Before you start, make sure you have the Samsung phone USB drivers installed. If you do not have them installed ODIN will not recognize your phone. Here is a link to the drivers installation package: http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...G_USB_Driver_for_Mobile_Phones_v1.5.45.00.exe

Note: I personally had success with this version of Odin: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6a2xg2frrin92o6/odin_3.12.3.rar?dl=0 (MD5 - 9C878DB69273148F01910D1CBCB1ABBD)
    However another user couldn’t get it to work and used this version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfe8zn2adnwdtuw/ODIN .zip?dl=0 (MD5 - 136E707B39C2E4CDC47820C68065CD5C)

How to install:

Step 1. Put your phone in download mode. You do this by having the phone off and pressing the power button, the home button, and the volume down button at the same time, holding them until the download screen comes up. Sometimes there will be a prompt that says press the home button to continue to download mode. In that case press the home button as well.

Step 2. Flash the 4 files in this zip (https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24588212152304771)(MD5 - BB4D013B3B6D7638484A4B0F56953BFA) to your phone using Odin, all 4 of them at the same time. Unzip the files into the folder that contains your ODIN installation, or a folder where they are easy to find. Open up ODIN and put the BL file in the BL slot, AP file in the AP slot, and so on. Then flash all 4 at once.

I have flashed the U firmware multiple times in experimentation and at one point the flash failed. I simply forced the phone to reboot into download mode (by the normal method listed above) and tried reflashing. It went through just fine. So don't panic, just retry.

Part 2: Rooting the U firmware

NOTE: This guide is mostly taken from an excellent guide already made by @Argyrus. The only reason I am posting it here is to keep the flow of the overall guide together.

First off download these files (https://www.dropbox.com/s/x4yymhbthn6nmqp/Root Files.zip?dl=0) and extract all the files to one main folder. Make sure all the files that are in the "SuperSU-v2.76-S7QC" folder are moved to the main folder.

- Folder named "SuperSU-v2.76-S7QC" contains the SuperSU and thing needed to root the phone
    - ADB Setup EXE called "adb-setup-1.4.3.exe", needed to install ADB and the Drivers
    - Special patched Odin that skips the SHA 225 called Odin PrinceComsy.exe (Mainly for AT&T) including an .ini file named "Odin3.ini"
    - file named "Samsung_G935x_QC_Rooted_BOOT.TAR", this is the engBoot for the phone that will allow rooting

NOTE: Some users have experienced endless boot loop; this seems to be caused by using a package disabler that disabled certain services. If you used one and end up getting an endless boot loop try wiping the cache and factory reset the phone.

1. Install ADB by running adb-setup-1.4.3.exe (select YES to all options, especially system wide ADB)
    2. Make sure to put your phone into downloading mode (Power off--- Hold Down arrow + Home + Power button)
    3. Open up Odin and click AP and mount Samsung_G935x_QC_Rooted_BOOT.TAR, then flash it
    4. Once restarted put the phone into USB debugging mode, if it is not already enabled (need Developer options for this)
    4b. To get developer mode, go to "About" then tap "build number" about 6 or 7 times
    4c. Go back to settings and you should now see developer options, turn on USB debugging
    5. Now back on your PC, double click on the file called "root.bat" (it should be in the main folder with ALL the other files, aka no subfolders)
    6. Wait for the CMD to finish and then your phone should restart
    7. Once your phone has finally restarted you will notice that SuperSU was installed and root should be working, download root checker to find out for yourself.

Part 3: Implementing all the Verizon specific fixes (enable Verizon volte, fix wifi password saving issues, doze issues, cpu issues, VVM, etc.)

1. Download the Verizon s7 edge fix zips (there are two zips that will be flashed together in a certain order) (File 1 - http://dl.psouza4.com/android/S7_or_S7Edge_Fixes_V15.zip)(File 2 - https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24591023225178488)

2. Use Flashfire (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.flash&hl=en) to flash both zips, keep the standard options that are already selected in Flashfire. Arrange the zips so that S7_or_S7Edge_Fixes_V15.zip is flashed first, and Verizon_VVM_Volte_Wifi_Calling_G935U_Fix.zip is flashed second. It will auto reboot after flashing both files.

3. Profit

Also it is always a good idea to change all the animation speeds to .5, which you can find under the developer options. This speeds up the phone visually, providing for a faster user experience.

Part 4: Setting up xposed and additional battery life saving tools (optional)

These are some steps that I have taken to see great battery life results. Feel free to try them out and see if they work for you.

1. Install xposed using Flashfire (only use the modified xposed zip below or else you will have serious issues)
    Here is the modified xposed zip to flash through Flashfire (https://www.dropbox.com/s/67aujyog5...arm64-custom-build-by-wanam-20160709.zip?dl=0)

Note: It takes a while to boot after flashing this due to the cache rebuild. Do not panic, let it do its thing.

Also you will need to install the Xposed apk to be able to use Xposed: (https://www.dropbox.com/s/euqp5ofg32gjspj/XposedInstaller_3.0_alpha4.apk?dl=0)

2. Install Greenify (xposed module) and enable all the additional features (donate only), including aggressive doze. Add any apps that are running in the background that seem to be battery hogs and enable auto-hibernation.

I also went through the system files and removed or froze any Samsung files I did not want with Titanium. But that's just a personal preference of mine, I'm OCD about files I have enabled on my phone lol.

Note: By request I have posted screenshots of all the files I have frozen, as well as a screenshot of all the apps I have greenifyed. I decided to Greenify more apps than disable this time to see if I get the same battery life as disabling everything. Time will tell.

That's about it. Hopefully this is helpful to us Verizon users who are trying to comb through multiple forums trying to find all the pieces to the puzzle in regards to flashing and rooting the U firmware. I am simply putting everything into one guide, along with any additions which I learned from my personal experience flashing and rooting my S7E onto the U firmware.

If there is any questions or comments hit me up, i'd be happy to help anyway I can.

Cheers!

Credits:
    @Misterxtc for the U firmware link (and firmware updates in general)
    @wanam for the modified xposed installation for samsung phones
    @psouza4 for the fix zip that cures many issues
    @gtg465x for providing info on the U files
    @Symphony0fLife for his excellent AT&T guide which I used a lot of here
    @jrkruse for his CSC and ims hacks and the U fix zip
    @Argyrus for his guide on how to root our Verizon phones
    @Mastajeff for his original T-mobile guide that helped Argyrus and I with our guides
    @br3w3r, @Chainfire and @princecomsy for making the root possible and guiding us towards the light of freedom
    @Syn Ack for posting a guide with all the fixes he had collected from other forums
    @lahegry for originally posting the modified xposed zip
    @Snoop05 for his awesome system wide ABD installation package

NOTE: If I have forgotten anyone on the credits list please let me know and I will add them.
    Got it to work :)

So posting my (failure but then) success story in case it helps someone else!

First of all... ALL the files in PART 1 here are outdated! I used updato.com to find the current version of 935U for Oreo, yes I went from Marshmallow 935V, skipped Nougat, to Oreo 935U! Also you HAVE TO USE Odin3 v3.13.1_3B_PatcheD.exe or later WITH OREO! Find it here https://www. droid views .com/download-odin-tool-for-samsung-galaxy-devices-all-versions/ Trying any previous version of Odin (like the v3.12 here) will give you “emmc_appsboot.mbn.lz4” error. Not sure if that applies to Nougat. After an hour of failed Odin (3.12) attempts, trying different USB cables/ports firmwares reinstalling Samsung USB drivers, etc, even soft bricking my phone (wouldnt boot, stuck on GalaxyS7 boot screen, but WOULD go into download mode), it finally worked. After searching around and finding Odin 3.13, it worked on the first try. It was like watching your team score the winning shot after trailing behind for so long lmao.

Took an OTA update and now I'm at G935UUES4CRG3 July 1, 2018 security patch level. Used Smart Switch to get my data restored and I'm back in business :)
    OP HAS BEEN UPDATED!!!

Two major changes:

A respected user has recommended taking the xtouchwiz section out, due to issues with dvfs disabling and other conflicts. It has been removed.

I have included a link to a thread over on the regular Verizon s7 side, in which contains a zip that cures a ton of issues which I have been battling, including no doze and whatnot. I have included that zip as step 3, because it will fix all Verizon issues, no matter if you are on U firmware or on PE1 firmware. I highly recommend flashing that zip.
    Thanks, dajmanjt -- I'm not going to (persistently) hijack the thread here, but I do want to help out a few confused people I see so here's a big ol' reply post with answers, links, and fixes...

I am having problems everything went smoothly till I got to super su and changing cpu. Kernel auditor say no root and super su will not install the binaries
    Thank you for this U ROM! But I have 1 question: When making the recommended changes with Kernel Adiutor, Where can I find the I/O field?
    If it's the 'I/O Scheduler' field, I can't edit anything there. Can someone please send me a screenshot of what it supposed to look like.
    I'm only able to change the 'Read-ahead' field. But when I tap on 'Scheduler', nothing happens.
    I checked with 'Root Checker' & tells me I'm rooted. I also went on SuperSU & see Kernel Auditor on the list.
    No, no, no! Don't use Kernel Adiutor to make any changes, for several reasons. First, it falsely believes that our first physical CPU core controls the settings for all our cores so you are setting max CPU speed for the big 2.15 GHz cores at the 1 .6 GHz speed. This will throttle your performance. Secondly, and more importantly, it's not able to change many other CPU settings that need to be fixed like enabling CPU idling sleep settings, changing the governor for the big cores, adjusting scaling load targets, etc. Uninstall Kernel Adiutor and use my flashable update instead and save yourself the grief.

Just note, once you flash firmware you, you have to flash the custom firmware u made by jrkuse which can be found in the development thread to get vvm and the other Verizon stuff working correctly.
    Awesome guide. My only suggestion is to make the explanation of flashing xposed a bit more thorough. I was confused on whether I had to flash the zip before or after unzipping the downloaded folder, but figured it out.
    My flashable update includes the patched imsservice.apk and framework-res.apk as well as verbose instructions for Xposed, so you can cut down the number of steps required by following my guide

I do have one question though, is there any way to disable the samsung defender app (or whatever it's called)? It keeps giving me annoying warnings and I didn't see a way to disable it within the settings.
    That's the SecurityLogAgent app and it's removed in my fix+debloat flashable update.

I'm on the U firmware rooted but I really want the Verizon firmware back because my signal and downloads speeds have taken a dive.
    I have an unroot guide in the S7 forum that includes stock images for the Verizon S7 Edge, too. However, I recommend you try again with my guide and see if perhaps there was a mis-step somewhere that's leading to your poor experience -- you shouldn't be seeing diminished performance at all.

I really feel like I'm probably hijacking this thread a little, but if it helps out anyone who's getting stuck or confused about performance, etc., then it's a win for everyone. Thanks to dajmanjt for his work getting people rolling and enjoy!

I just wanted to let you know that being on the U firmware is the best. I have SIMs for all for carriers and GoogleFi. In order not to get locked into a carrier on first boot, don't insert any SIM. Then, shut of request for WiFi. Don't accept anything....just keep clicking thru menu. Unclick Google Location request, etc.

When you are all done with that, insert your SIM. You will get notification from Samsung that a new SIM has been inserted and needs to reboot to initialize. Get your SIM metal pin tool ready to push it out and after you click yes to reboot push out SIM. As phone is rebooting, reinsert SIM. You should now have your service provider added without having it install it's own software. The update that is waiting is for each carrier's RIL files and some APPs.

I switch back and forth all the time now. As far as T-Mobile, I didn't know about their new update to increase speeds, but I was in Charlotte Michigan and was doing a speedtest and was getting like 200 mbps and thought it was a fluke. So, if you just stay on the U band you will get all of the LTE bands. You can verify by going to *#2263#. This is a bit tricky as some SIMs won't let you access this menu...like AT&T and Verizon. But, you can either buy Samsung Info APP or use something like Nova launcher or Anycut and go to System Activities and under Settings you will see one for GSM.

I hope that helps. I love using this. I actually got into a bit of a situation trying to flash the Dual SIM firmware as the software is installed on the phone. But, I later found out that this phone doesn't have the hardware installed in the second SIM slot. But, not once did it ever give me a KNOX error and I was trying all kinds of stuff.

I see there is a new update but haven't see an update on here yet for just the U firmware again as I don't want it to be stuck on one carrier again.
    The mediafire link for the U firmware in the Installation section is saying "The file you attempted to download was determined to be dangerous. For your protection, MediaFire does not enable distribution of dangerous files."

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=24588212152304771

OP should update original post.