[GUIDE] Flashing unapproved firmwares (online FullOTA-MF firmwares)

Search This thread

CosmoHunter

Jul 25, 2014
You don't have to wait. After flashing, reboot straight to bootloader and unlock the device.

My problem is, after I flashed the stock rom and re-lock the bootloader via fastboot, the OEM unlock function on my developer option was greyed out. So when I attempt to unlock again, the fastboot gives me an error message telling me to turn the OEM unlock function back on. I am not able to do so cause it is greyed out.

miguemely

Jan 25, 2011
Stuck on HiSuite

Hey! Regarding the steps listed above, I'm stuck on the update part using HiSuite. After installing 5.0.1.300_OVE, I'm stuck here:
R8ZevfJ.png

Been stuck at 0% for a good hour now.

Last file the hicloud got from the server was the filelist: GET query.hicloud.com/redlotus/firmware/full/filelist.xml

makinapufterpup

Nov 16, 2014
New England
Thanks for this! I am unable to root my phone because DCUnlocker doesn't work with FRD-L14. But, with this tutorial, I was able to upgrade to Oreo/EMUI8 by downloading the FRD-L14C567B560 8.0.0.560 firmware.

Obviously I had to use Method 1 since I'm not rooted, and I also couldn't do section A of method 1, since I couldn't flash a recovery partition. But I was able to do all of section B.

Things went well at first in section C. I had to use HiSuite_5.0.1.300_OVE to get HiSuite to recognize the update.

I didn't get to see the phone reboot after the installation, but when I turned on the screen after it was booted, it was just a blank screen with a solid back button and the other two buttons were just blinking.

To fix this problem, I did a factory reset.

The next time I booted into Oreo, things went well, until I noticed that all google apps were missing, including the play store. At this point I panicked a bit. But here's what I did to fix it: I just went into settings and selected system update. And I got lucky! It said there was an update to FRD-L14.8.0.0.560(C567) (even though that was even listed as the Current Version). So I selected the update, let it download, then it restarted, did it's installation, and when it was done, I had Oreo and all the apps!

I still wish I could unlock and root the dam3d thing! That's what I get for taking a chance on a second hand phone w/o reading that Huawei no longer allowed you to get your unlock code!

[email protected]

Oct 5, 2014
Hello I have FRD L19 C10 B402 firmare.
The system does not find newer version.
Is it possible to update manualy to newer version of Android end EMUI?

Of course I have TWRP recovery but flash it to stock recovery. I have unlock bootloader as well.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: Flashing an unapproved firmware can cause unexpected issues. The OP will not be liable for any bricked device which resulted because of the use of this method. Everything is done at user's discretion. Also, ensure that you're using the correct firmware file (matches your model and is not corrupt).

Important notes for updating from Oreo -> Oreo
    If you're on Oreo, don't download the recoveries mentioned in the guide below. Instead grab the one below (thanks to TeamMT for the patched recovery):
    Code:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HmFAMYm1pU7RdKkOq_TMdthCxZJflzv9
    Note that this is only 1 recovery. So whenever you see the command:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery FRD_RECOVERY_NoCheck.img
    Replace it with:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery_ramdisk FRD_RECOVERY_RAMDISK_NoCheck.img
    For recovery2:
    Code:
    fastboot flash erecovery_ramdisk FRD_RECOVERY_RAMDISK_NoCheck.img
    I know it's the same recovery being flashed on two different partitions but it doesn't matters ;)

Happy flashing !

What will you achieve...

With this guide you can flash FullOTA-MF firmwares which are unapproved for installation (also called 'online firmwares', shows errors when flashing in TWRP or authentication errors when using Firmware Finder proxy) on your device by bypassing the authentication checks at stock recovery. PV (Point Version) firmwares should not be flashed by this method since they can be already flashed via TWRP.

I successfully updated my FRD-L09 from B392SP01 to B394. I'm writing down two methods, you can use any ;)

Method 1 Using RedLotus

RedLotus is an open source huawei proxy that allows you to push any update to your device through HiSuite.

A) PREPARATION / Device
    1. Download the modified (NoCheck, authentication removed) stock recovery:
      Code:
      Recovery 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SPRmBNsTefSWZLSWxpWGd6QkE
      Recovery 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SPRmBNsTefSVhxMWFoa01wams
      These recoveries have authentication checks removed allowing you to flash any firmware.
    2. Flash both recoveries via fastboot:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery2 FRD_RECOVERY2_NoCheck.img
    3. Reboot your device.
    B) PREPARATION / Setting up HiSuite and RedLotus
    1. Download and install HiSuite and nodejs:
      Code:
      HiSuite: consumer.huawei.com/minisite/HiSuite_en/
      nodejs: https://nodejs.org/en/download/
    2. Visit RedLotus Github repository and download it (find the green Clone / Download button)
      Code:
      https://github.com/lukx/redlotus
    3. Extract the downloaded file to any directory. Inside that directory, hold down left Shift button and click right mouse button. In the context menu that appears select Open Command Window / Powershell Window here. Do not close this window till the end of the instructions.
    4. Execute the following command inside the CMD / Powershell window.
      Code:
      npm install
    5. You will now download the firmware you want to flash (for example FRD-L09C432B394, only FullOTA-MF supported). Goto TeamMT Firmware Finder and search for the firmware you wish to download. Copy the link to the filelist.xml of that firmware (for example filelist of FRD-L09C432B394: http://update.hicloud.com:8180/TDS/data/files/p3/s15/G1585/g104/v93530/f1/full/filelist.xml)
    6. Execute the following command inside the CMD / Powershell window.
      Code:
      npm run download path-to-firmware-xml (replace last part with actual link)
    7. Wait for the download to complete.
    8. Navigate to C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc. Open hosts file as Administrator and add this line at the end of it:
      Code:
      127.0.0.1 query.hicloud.com
      This will set up a redirection resolving all hicloud queries to your localhost server.
    9. Execute the following command inside the CMD / Powershell window:
      Code:
      npm run listen-hisuite
    C) INSTALLATION
    1. Connect the device to computer and ensure that HiSuite is recognizing the attached device. If it isn't go to Settings -> Developer Options and ensure ADB Debugging is enabled.
    2. Hit the Update button in HiSuite. You'll see a message reading a new update is available and the update will be named RedLotus-OTA.
    3. Start the update process and wait patiently.
    4. Your device will eventually reboot to stock recovery and update will start installing. The update might seem to stuck at some percentage. It's normal, wait patiently for the update to install.
    5. You're now updated to the firmware you chose.
    OPTIONAL: In case of bootloops, factory reset the device and also unlock bootloader if the device automatically relocked.

Method 2 Using Root

A) PREPARATION / Downloading the required files
    1. Download the modified (NoCheck, authentication removed) stock recovery:
      Code:
      Recovery 1: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SPRmBNsTefSWZLSWxpWGd6QkE
      Recovery 2: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4SPRmBNsTefSVhxMWFoa01wams
      These recoveries have authentication checks removed allowing you to flash any firmware. Move both recovery files to internal storage or any path of your choice (this guide will assume you copied both files to /sdcard)
    2. You will now download the firmware you want to flash (for example FRD-L09C432B394, only FullOTA-MF supported). Goto TeamMT Firmware Finder and search for the firmware you wish to download. Open the filelist.xml of that firmware and download all the files mentioned inside it. For example, the links for FRD-L09C432B394 are
      Code:
      http://update.hicloud.com:8180/TDS/data/files/p3/s15/G1585/g104/v93530/f1/full/update.zip
      http://update.hicloud.com:8180/TDS/data/files/p3/s15/G1585/g104/v93530/f1/full/public/update_data_full_public.zip
      http://update.hicloud.com:8180/TDS/data/files/p3/s15/G1585/g104/v93530/f1/full/FRD-L09_hw_eu/update_full_FRD-L09_hw_eu.zip
      Copy the firmware files to /sdcard/HWOTA (ensure the files are inside HWOTA, it doesn't matters whether you copied the files to internal or external).
    B) PREPARATION / Device
    1. Flash the downloaded recoveries via fastboot:
      Code:
      fastboot flash recovery2 FRD_RECOVERY2_NoCheck.img
    2. Reboot your device.
    B) INSTALLATION
    • After your device is rebooted back to system, open any file manager that supports root.
    • Navigate to /data/ and create a new folder update/HWOTA.
    • Copy all the three downloaded zips to the folder created above.
    • Now using either Terminal Emulator or ADB Shell, grant SU privileges by executing su within the app or shell and further execute the following commands:
      Code:
      echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update.zip" > /cache/recovery/command
      echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_data_full_public.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
      echo "--update_package=/data/update/HWOTA/update_full_FRD-L09_hw_eu.zip" >> /cache/recovery/command
      You need to replace the file names (of the zip files) with the ones you've downloaded.
    • With everything done reboot your device to recovery:
      Code:
      reboot recovery
    OPTIONAL: In case of bootloops, factory reset the device and also unlock bootloader if the device automatically relocked.

Credits:
    @mankindtw : he originally patched the Mate 9 recovery removing the authentication. I patched Honor 8 recovery by identifying his edits and adding them.
    @OldDroid : for hinting about how to patch the image and because this guide is inspired by his similar guide in Honor 8 Pro forums.
    May I use RedLotus method without unlocking bootloader?

Yes you can use but it depends on the update you're trying to flash. Updates have built in verification and authentication checks and hence will fail.

That's where the modified recovery comes in which bypasses those checks and allows you to flash any firmware. Unfortunately, flashing modified recovery requires an unlocked bootloader.
    For now use RedLotus method. There might be some problems with TWRP method. I'll try to find the root of the issue but until then, enjoy.
    I've made fixes to the TWRP method and have successfully flashed the firmware.
    Also, B402 can be successfully flashed using this guide. Enjoy.
    Also just to add, if your device gets stuck at the boot screen after flashing, a simple force reboot is enough to get it back again.
    unfortunately not work for me ,,, stick in "no internet connection" in Hisuite even when I move the host from end to middle

what about nodejs , why we download and install it ? why we don't use it ?

Thanks

I couldn't get it to work with HiSuite v5. Download the older version v4 and it will work straight away.

Nodejs is used in the background when you use the other commands,
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone