[Guide For-Newbies] How to revert to stock/get ready to receive 5.1 OTA.

Search This thread

whizinc

Mar 20, 2014
Karachi
Greetings XDA Members,

I am seeing alot of people repeating this same question again and again like "Hey, I have messed up I flashed this and this and now I want to get all setup to take the official Lollipop OTA of MOTO X, Please help" the same question over and over again in several other threads so I thought it might be a good idea to sum up everything in one thread and make this easier for other members to point any person having issue like these to this thread. Now keep in mind that I am not a professional developer, Im just here to tell the basics of flashing a stock firmware, IF I make any mistake please let me know and also this thread will be a long briefly explained one so please read carefully and consider everything before applying anything. :)

To start off, the point of this thread is to help our new members of XDA to have an idea of what to do and how to do, Now the main topic of this thread is to point our newbie fellows on how to flash a stock firmware on a messed up MOTO X (Any Model), By messed up I mean: Either the user corrupted or damaged or somehow got stuck between anything like bootloops,not getting signals,phone not working properly and all sorts of basic software problems. If you are having such problems with your phone and want to get back to the newly fresh Moto X like when you bought it, it was shiny and all the software was fresh etc And also you want to get all setup to receive the Lollipop OTA.. you are at the right place mate. Keep reading.

Have a look at this thread also for more useful information about getting ready to take the OTA its for the kitkat ota but still its all the same so this could be very useful! by @KidJoe http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/faq-kit-kat-how-to-prepare-carriers-t2536735

or If you have an unlocked bootloader and are rooted, and the only change you did to your phone was replacing recovery to root.. Here is another option to flash Stock Recovery back on your phone to get ready to install the latest OTA -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ooted-t3027079 credits goes to @KidJoe .

PRECAUTIONS (A MUST READ BEFORE PROCEEDING ANY FURTHER)
I am not responsible if anything happens to your device during this process because I am just explaining here what to do I wont be the one who is applying the instructions on any phone so in no matter or aspect I am the responsible for damage caused to your device. So again do this on your own risk. I wont be responsible for any damage to your phone.

1: NEVER DOWNGRAED FIRMWARE/BOOTLOADER VERSION!
Okay so you want to downgrade to get the advantages of the previous android version of your phone. THE ANSWER IS A BIG NO! if you try to downgrade your phone and mess up with motoboot.img or gpt.bin you will get a hard brick! Never try to downgrade! Refer to this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/info-warning-risks-downgrading-impacts-t3058202 by @KidJoe to know all the facts about downgrading.

2: Downlaod the exact and correct firmrware, before flashing
Flashing another carriers rom on your phone would be a stupidity. MAKE yourself 100% sure that you have downloaded the correct/exact firmware of your phone, never flash some random firmware on your particular moto x. Flashing another carriers rom would give you a hard brick probably.. Never play with different firmwares. (I will be mentioning further in the thread, how to make sure to download the correct firmware.)

3:You must consider of having an Unlocked Bootloader before proceeding any further, Or if you have a locked bootloader this method might work on the locked bootloaders also but, again flashing different carriers firmware on a locked bootloader device will get you more screwed up
This method should also work for the locked bootloaders but be 100% sure that you are flashing the correct signed firmware of your specific carrier. As for the Bootloader Unlock, There are not much of options for now, You can unlock your bootloader either from the motorola official site or use sunshine unlocker to unlock your bootloader. Refer to this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/request-help-exploit-moto-x-bl-t2828471 by @samwathegreat to have an idea about the sunshine unlocking method.
Also refer to this also for info about gaining root and unlocking bootloader http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/one-stop-shop-how-root-moto-x-confusion-t2826159 by @KidJoe.

4:You messed up your stock rom and freezed some apps
If you have rooted, put xposed etc. Dont plan to revert back by restoring the freezed apps and Instead just flash the stock firmware from RSD. Restoring back freezed apps etc will cause more problems. But make sure you uninstall all of the frameworks of xposed before proceeding to flash stock firmware.

5:This method will wipe your data completely
As the Title says this method will obviously wipe every single piece of your personal data stored on this phone such as pictures,contacts,videos and pretty much everything. So be sure to backup your data on your pc or anywhere.

Grab Your Phones Its time to start the process. Make sure its charged more than 60%.

Okay enough theory, lets get this over with.
Download and install motorola drivers : https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481 and restart you computer and proceed.

STEP 1: Identifying the correct name or model number of your Moto X
1: If the original motorola back cover is on the phone, there is some very fine/small print at the bottom of the back. It will have the FCC ID, Model number, etc. It could be hard to see, So you might have to tilt/twist the phone so the light shines off it just right and the model no appears. The Model No of your MOTO X should start with XT. Make a note of that. (credits goes to @KidJoe for explaining this in detail.)
2:Another way to find the model is by checking the Settings>About Phone of your X.
3:More ways to find out your model no, Connect the phone with the pc and see what does it shows on the pc when connected on USB MASS STORAGE. It should mention the XT10xx (Model name) of your phone on pc

NOTE:BEFORE you flash away from Stock, on the phone you first go App Drawer -> Settings -> About Phone... Make note of what is listed under System Version, Android Version, and build number. Then visit one (or all) of the sites until that host the leaked SBF files until you find the SBF that matches and down load the file to your PC for use later.. The file name will usually contain parts or all of that info listed under settings, and possibly the carrier name, or acronym for the carrier name (Verizon might be VZW, Rogers Canada might be RCI, etc).

So for example: If your phone model is XT1058 and under about phone it reports...

android version is 4.4.4
system version is 212.44.26. ghost_row.RCI.en.ca
build nunber is KXA21.12-L1.26

That tells me you have a Rogers Canada (RCI) XT1058 with 4.4.4 ROM on it. When you look at the file factory site for your SBF, you want to look for a file that contains some/all of that info, like... XT1058_RCI-CA_4.4.4_KXA21.12-L1.26_59_cid14_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

(notice the parts of the "about phone" info and file name which are highlighted in Bold to help illustrate the example)

IF you are already running a CUSTOM or 3Rd party rom, like CM, system version and build number will not match STOCK Moto SBF files. credits goes to @KidJoe for adding this additional info about figuring out what ROM is on your phone.

STEP 2: Identifying and downloading the correct firmware for your model of X
1:So now that you have identified, your Moto X is XT10xx, Now you will be downloading the correct firmware of your phone which should match the System/Build Version of your phone.
For Example: If your phone is from Rogers,ATT,Sprint,T-Mobile,US-CELLULAR,Europe etc. IT should be mentioned in the Settings>About Phone section below build version. Make a note of the whole build version/system version on a piece of paper or anything you like. Because the system/build version is the main key to have the proper knowledge about your phone before flashing any firmware.
Additional Info about bootloaders according to android version(This will give an idea about bootloaders, read it carefully and match the version of you bootloader in order with this dont downgrade):
(Android Version: Bootloader)
4.2.2: 30.70

4.2.2/camera patch OTA: 30.71

4.4: 30.B2

4.4.2: 30.B4

4.4.4: 30.B7

2:Now this part must get hard for the newbie guys but I will try my best to keep everything clear and easy. All The firmwares you need for your X is available at this site: http://www.filefactory.com/folder/dd05c058d3ff8dbe/?sort=created&order=DESC&show=100&page=1
Now start by searching the model no and system version of your moto x. For example: if your phone is from Rogers Canada it must have "XT1058 RCI_CA " in it.. XT1058:Model Name Rci: Rogers CA: Canada. You get this right? on the firmware there should be mentioned a little bit hint or info you need to identify your firmware. Go ahead and download it. Again for the newbie guys I cant explain much easier than i've explained above, Still if you cannot find the correct firmware let me know I will try to find it out. But please first try your best from your own side first, I cant spoonfeed you [emoji14] . ATTENTION: Please download the 4.4.4 Version of your carrier because it will be easy to receive the 5.1 OTA on a 4.4.4 rom.

STEP 3: Getting ready to flash through RSD LITENote: I wont be explaining a method to flash through fastboot as from my opinion I dont like fastboot it can cause you a serious problem if you type anything wrong. If you want to try the fastboot method there is also another similar guide on how to flash through fastboot refer to this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/guide-moto-x-return-to-100-stock-using-t2446515 by @TechSavvy2
1: Download RSD LITE 6.1.5 (RSD LITE SETUP IS ATTACHED download from there) and install it in your PC Windows. (I dont have a mac dont know anything about mac.)
2:Make a new folder and unzip the firmware zip file in that new folder
3: Open the XML FILE and edit the .XML file and remove any lines with "getvar" written in them, Remove that whole line which has "getvar" in it, and (CTRL+S) save that edited file.
3: RUN RSD LITE IN ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS on rsd lite right click and run as administrator, IF you dont run as administrator rsd lite wont flash anything.
4: Now on rsd lite press the three dotted "..." button and select the XML File from the "new folder" you made moments ago.

STEP 4: Getting your phone in fastboot mode
If you are totally fine and running your software normally: Power off your phone, wait for 5 seconds then press and hold the power/lock button and volume down button simultaneously for 5 seconds, then release those buttons after 5 seconds. You will be in the fastboot mode of your phone now plugin your phone on usb cable of your computer make sure the bootloader says "USB CONNECTED." If it doesnt shows usb connected sign, Change the usb cable or try another usb slot.

For the people who have damaged and corrupted the software and having black screens stuck and nothing else or either they did something naive and somehow cant get in the fastboot mode: Hook up your phone to an A/C Charger and wait for about 30mins to atleast recharge it. Then remove your phone from charger and dont press the power button! Do this: Press and hold the power/lock button and volume down button simultaneously for 5 seconds, then release those buttons after 5 seconds,If you are not properly bricked you will be on the fastboot now probably, now plugin your phone on usb cable of your computer make sure the bootloader says "USB CONNECTED." If it doesnt shows usb connected sign, Change the usb cable or try another usb slot.

For the people stuck on bootloop after flashing a 3rd party custom rom or stuck on the motorola logo etc. Do this: Press and hold the Power/lock button, Volume Up Button and Volume Down button, all the three buttons simultaneously for about 15 seconds, when the screen turns off, Quickly press the Power button and volume down button repeatedly (this time dont press and hold! Press both buttons repeatedly!) You will be on the fastboot mode of your phone plugin the phone on usb port and your bootloader should say "USB CONNECTED" AFAIK. If you are not bricked!

STEP 5:Flashing the firmware
On Rsd lite, make sure that your device is showing "Connected" Now, Press the start button on the rsd lite and wait for about maximum 30-40Mins to get your firmware flashed in the phone successfully. ATTENSION: Dont touch or power off your phone or computer during the flashing process untill or unless your device reboots and comes to its homescreen on the factory settings, make sure the usb cable is connected properly not loose. If you mess up anything during flashing process you are risking your whole phone so do this when you are calm enough.

Flashing Process Done Now You Are All Set Up To Receive The Latest OTA OF 5.1!

For the people who have flashed the 5.1 soak test/leak and are stuck at some certain point
So you couldn't wait and flashed the LEAKED test/soak versions of 5.02 and 5.1 and your bootloader is upgraded to 30.BC or 30.BD you are stuck on a bootloop and cant get your phone to work ----> There is nothing you could really do to save your self till now only one thing you can do is wait! DO NOT DOWNGRADE YOUR BOOTLOADER/FIRMWARE as that will risk bricking, but rather WAIT and hope a 5.1 SBF for their model/carrier leaks in the coming weeks/months, then fully flash it to return to stock. credits goes to @KidJoe for adding this info.

Good luck mates!
Thats all I can sum up in one thread, I hope this helps the new people. Peace Out.

Attachments

• RSDLite6.1.5.rar
    5.8 MB · Views: 1,101
Last edited:

cindylike24

Sep 26, 2008
Vincennes, IN
Greetings XDA Members,

I am seeing alot of people repeating this same question again and again like "Hey, I have messed up I flashed this and this and now I want to get all setup to take the official Lollipop OTA of MOTO X, Please help" the same question over and over again in several other threads so I though it might be a good idea to sum up everything in one thread and make this easier for other members to point any person having issue like these to this thread. Now keep in mind that I am not a professional developer, Im just here to tell the basics of flashing a stock firmware, IF I make any mistake please let me know and also this thread will be a long briefly explained one so please read carefully and consider everything before applying anything. :)

To start off, the point of this thread is to help our new members of XDA to have an idea of what to do and how to do, Now the main topic of this thread is to point our newbie fellows on how to flash a stock firmware on a messed up MOTO X (Any Model), By messed up I mean: Either the user corrupted or damaged or somehow got stuck between anything like bootloops,not getting signals,phone not working properly and all sorts of basic software problems. If you are having such problems with your phone and want to get back to the newly fresh Moto X like when you bought it, it was shiny and all the software was fresh etc And also you want to get all setup to receive the Lollipop OTA.. you are at the right place mate. Keep reading.

Have a look at this thread also for more useful information about getting ready to take the OTA its for the kitkat ota but still its all the same so this could be very useful! by @KidJoe http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/faq-kit-kat-how-to-prepare-carriers-t2536735

I am not responsible if anything happens to your device during this process because I am just explaining here what to do I wont be the one who is applying the instructions on any phone so in no matter or aspect I am the responsible for damage caused to your device. So again do this on your own risk. I wont be responsible for any damage to your phone.

Okay so you want to downgrade to get the advantages of the previous android version of your phone. THE ANSWER IS A BIG NO! if you try to downgrade your phone and mess up with motoboot.img or gpt.bin you will get a hard brick! Never try to downgrade! Refer to this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/info-warning-risks-downgrading-impacts-t3058202 by @KidJoe to know all the facts about downgrading.

Flashing another carriers rom on your phone would be a stupidity. MAKE yourself 100% sure that you have downloaded the correct/exact firmware of your phone, never flash some random firmware on your particular moto x. Flashing another carriers rom would give you a hard brick probably.. Never play with different firmwares. (I will be mentioning further in the thread, how to make sure to download the correct firmware.)

3:You must consider of having an Unlocked Bootloader before proceeding any further
There are not much of options for now, You can unlock your bootloader either from the motorola official site or use sunshine unlocker to unlock your bootloader. Refer to this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/request-help-exploit-moto-x-bl-t2828471 by @samwathegreat to have an idea about the sunshine unlocking method.
Also refer to this also for info about gaining root and unlocking bootloader http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/one-stop-shop-how-root-moto-x-confusion-t2826159 by @KidJoe.

3:You messed up your stock rom and freezed some apps
If you have rooted, put xposed etc. Dont plan to revert back by restoring the freezed apps and Instead just flash the stock firmware from RSD. Restoring back apps freezed etc will cause more problems. But make sure you uninstall all of the frameworks of xposed before proceeding to flash stock firmware.

Grab Your Phones Its time to start the process. Make sure its charged more than 60%.

Download and install motorola drivers : https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/88481 and restart you computer and proceed.

1: If the original motorola back cover is on the phone, there is some very fine/small print at the bottom of the back. It will have the FCC ID, Model number, etc. It could be hard to see, So you might have to tilt/twist the phone so the light shines off it just right and the model no appears. The Model No of your MOTO X should start with XT. Make a note of that. (credits goes to @KidJoe for explaining this in detail.)
2:Another way to find the model is by checking the Settings>About Phone of your X.
3:More ways to find out your model no, Connect the phone with the pc and see what does it shows on the pc when connected on USB MASS STORAGE. It should mention the XT10xx (Model name) of your phone on pc

1:So now that you have identified, your Moto X is XT10xx, Now you will be downloading the correct firmware of your phone which should match the System/Build Version of your phone.
For Example: If your phone is from Rogers,ATT,Sprint,T-Mobile,US-CELLULAR,Europe etc. IT should be mentioned in the Settings>About Phone section below build version. Make a note of the whole build version/system version on a piece of paper or anything you like. Because the system/build version is the main key to have the proper knowledge about your phone before flashing any firmware.
Additional Info about bootloaders according to android version(This will give an idea about bootloaders, read it carefully and match the version of you bootloader in order with this dont downgrade):

2:Now this part must get hard for the newbie guys but I will try my best to keep everything clear and easy. All The firmwares you need for your X is available at this site: http://www.filefactory.com/folder/dd05c058d3ff8dbe/?sort=created&order=DESC&show=100&page=1
Now start by searching the model no and system version of your moto x. For example: if your phone is from Rogers Canada it must have "XT1058 RCI_CA " in it.. XT1058:Model Name Rci: Rogers CA: Canada. You get this right? on the firmware there should be mentioned a little bit hint or info you need to identify your firmware. Go ahead and download it. Again for the newbie guys I cant explain much easier than i've explained above, Still if you cannot find the correct firmware let me know I will try to find it out. But please first try your best from your own side first, I cant spoonfeed you [emoji14] . ATTENTION: Please download the 4.4.4 Version of your carrier because it will be easy to receive the 5.1 OTA on a 4.4.4 rom.

STEP 3: Getting ready to flash through RSD LITENote: I wont be explaining a method to flash through fastboot as from my opinion I dont like fastboot it can cause you a serious problem if you type anything wrong. If you want to try the fastboot method there is also another similar guide on how to flash through fastboot refer to this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/guide-moto-x-return-to-100-stock-using-t2446515 by @TechSavvy2
1: Download RSD LITE 6.1.5 (RSD LITE SETUP IS ATTACHED download from there) and install it in your PC Windows. (I dont have a mac dont know anything about mac.)
3: Open the XML FILE and edit the .XML file and remove any lines with "getvar" written in them, Remove that whole line which has "getvar" in it, and (CTRL+S) save that edited file.
3: RUN RSD LITE IN ADMINISTRATIVE RIGHTS on rsd lite right click and run as administrator, IF you dont run as administrator rsd lite wont flash anything.
4: Now on rsd lite press the three dotted "..." button and select the XML File from the "new folder" you made moments ago.

If you are totally fine and running your software normally: Power off your phone, wait for 5 seconds then press and hold the power/lock button and volume down button simultaneously for 5 seconds, then release those buttons after 5 seconds. You will be in the fastboot mode of your phone now plugin your phone on usb cable of your computer make sure the bootloader says "USB CONNECTED." If it doesnt shows usb connected sign, Change the usb cable or try another usb slot.

For the people who have damaged and corrupted the software and having black screens stuck and nothing else or either they did something naive and somehow cant get in the fastboot mode: Hook up your phone to an A/C Charger and wait for about 30mins to atleast recharge it. Then remove your phone from charger and dont press the power button! Do this: Press and hold the power/lock button and volume down button simultaneously for 5 seconds, then release those buttons after 5 seconds,If you are not properly bricked you will be on the fastboot now probably, now plugin your phone on usb cable of your computer make sure the bootloader says "USB CONNECTED." If it doesnt shows usb connected sign, Change the usb cable or try another usb slot.

For the people stuck on bootloop after flashing a 3rd party custom rom or stuck on the motorola logo etc. Do this: Press and hold the Power/lock button, Volume Up Button and Volume Down button, all the three buttons simultaneously for about 15 seconds, when the screen turns off, Quickly press the Power button and volume down button repeatedly (this time dont press and hold! Press both buttons repeatedly!) You will be on the fastboot mode of your phone plugin the phone on usb port and your bootloader should say "USB CONNECTED" AFAIK. If you are not bricked!

On Rsd lite, make sure that your device is showing "Connected" Now, Press the start button on the rsd lite and wait for about maximum 30-40Mins to get your firmware flashed in the phone successfully. ATTENSION: Dont touch or power off your phone or computer during the flashing process untill or unless your device reboots and comes to its homescreen on the factory settings, make sure the usb cable is connected properly not loose. If you mess up anything during flashing process you are risking your whole phone so do this when you are calm enough.

Note: Currently please dont and I repeat DONT flash any soak test or any 5.1 leaked release of stock rom. All you will be getting by doing this would be A messed up bootloader,motoboot,gpt etc. Dont be so impatient just wait for the ota to show up on your phone!

Good luck mates!
Thats all I can sum up in one thread, I hope this helps the new people. Peace Out.
That's exactly what I did last night to make sure that I can get the OTA of Lollipop 5.1 when it finally comes out. I have a feeling that it will be rolling out here pretty soon.

Mod Edit : HIDE tags added by @Darth ... No need to quote long Opening posts, or use hide tags if you must. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

hbar98

Oct 11, 2010
Cool! Small world, isn't it?!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8" model using Tapatalk

Yep! I don't think that 5.1 is rolling out in the states yet... you'd think that whichever carrier rolled it out first would make some noise about it. I'll be ready, though! I really like 5.1.1 on my 2013 Nexus 7.

KidJoe

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2008
Thorndale/Romansville, PA
If you have an unlocked bootloader and are rooted, and the only change you did to your phone was replacing recovery to root.. Here is another option to flash Stock Recovery back on your phone -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/ref-return-to-stock-recovery-rooted-t3027079

----
@whizinc , Something else to add to the OP on figuring out what ROM is on your phone...

Normally I would suggest BEFORE you flash away from Stock, on the phone you first go App Drawer -> Settings -> About Phone... Make note of what is listed under System Version, Android Version, and build number. Then visit one (or all) of the sites until that host the leaked SBF files until you find the SBF that matches and down load the file to your PC for use later.. The file name will usually contain parts or all of that info listed under settings, and possibly the carrier name, or acronym for the carrier name (Verizon might be VZW, Rogers Canada might be RCI, etc).

So for example: If your phone model is XT1058 and under about phone it reports...

android version is 4.4.4

That tells me you have a Rogers Canada (RCI) XT1058 with 4.4.4 ROM on it. When you look at the file factory site for your SBF, you want to look for a file that contains some/all of that info, like... XT1058_RCI-CA_4.4.4_KXA21.12-L1.26_59_cid14_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

(notice the parts of the "about phone" info and file name which are highlighted in Bold to help illustrate the example)

IF you are already running a CUSTOM or 3Rd party rom, like CM, system version and build number will not match STOCK Moto SBF files.

-------

You also might want to add info for those who couldn't wait, and flashed the LEAKED test/soak versions of 5.02 and 5.1 that now have bootloader 30.BC or 30.BD... as they will NOT want to downgrade to 4.4.4 as that will risk bricking, but rather WAIT and hope a 5.1 SBF for their model/carrier leaks in the coming weeks/months, then fully flash it to return to stock.

Last edited:
Reactions: whizinc and azu89

whizinc

Mar 20, 2014
Karachi
If you have an unlocked bootloader and are rooted, and the only change you did to your phone was replacing recovery to root.. Here is another option to flash Stock Recovery back on your phone -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/ref-return-to-stock-recovery-rooted-t3027079

----
@whizinc , Something else to add to the OP on figuring out what ROM is on your phone...

Normally I would suggest BEFORE you flash away from Stock, on the phone you first go App Drawer -> Settings -> About Phone... Make note of what is listed under System Version, Android Version, and build number. Then visit one (or all) of the sites until that host the leaked SBF files until you find the SBF that matches and down load the file to your PC for use later.. The file name will usually contain parts or all of that info listed under settings, and possibly the carrier name, or acronym for the carrier name (Verizon might be VZW, Rogers Canada might be RCI, etc).

android version is 4.4.4

IF you are already running a CUSTOM or 3Rd party rom, like CM, system version and build number will not match STOCK Moto SBF files.

-------

You also might want to add info for those who couldn't wait, and flashed the LEAKED test/soak versions of 5.02 and 5.1 that now have bootloader 30.BC or 30.BD... as they will NOT want to downgrade to 4.4.4 as that will risk bricking, but rather WAIT and hope a 5.1 SBF for their model/carrier leaks in the coming weeks/months, then fully flash it to return to stock.

All the information that you suggested has been added to the OP. Thank you! :good:

Reactions: KidJoe

whizinc

Mar 20, 2014
Karachi
factory image for XT1052. if you download from the file factory site it takes a lot of time.
file factory is the only site present and online for now which has all the firmwares in it... So that's why i preferred it, ignoring the problem of the download speeds...

Sent from my ghost using Tapatalk

miju12

file factory is the only site present and online for now which has all the firmwares in it... So that's why i preferred it, ignoring the problem of the download speeds...

yeah i know. if someone uploads the file to some other cloud like drive, won't it be easy to others to download? i have posted the link because if someone needs the asia retail factory image, it would be easy and fast to download from this link. and for others the file factory website is there. and the problem from downloading file from file factory is it can't be resume so if there is a network error you have to download the file from begining.

whizinc

Mar 20, 2014
Karachi
yeah i know. if someone uploads the file to some other cloud like drive, won't it be easy to others to download? i have posted the link because if someone needs the asia retail factory image, it would be easy and fast to download from this link. and for others the file factory website is there. and the problem from downloading file from file factory is it can't be resume so if there is a network error you have to download the file from begining.
I agree with you, But i dont think someone will do that because its not easy to upload such big files on a private drive like clouds etc...

miju12

I agree with you, But i dont think someone will do that because its not easy to upload such big files on a private drive like clouds etc...

yeah its a pain to upload such big file. but the link i posted someone have uploaded file so its easy for XT1052 asia retail users to download

---------- Post added at 05:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Do you know the file name for the Verizon Dev Edition?

check this link for the file as it was uploaded in google drive. before flashing confirm it is for your model with the dev http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/development/vzw-4-4-kitkat-fastboot-factory-image-t2537398
check this page of motorola https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images

Last edited:
Reactions: mbush78

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Greetings XDA Members,

I am seeing alot of people repeating this same question again and again like "Hey, I have messed up I flashed this and this and now I want to get all setup to take the official Lollipop OTA of MOTO X, Please help" the same question over and over again in several other threads so I thought it might be a good idea to sum up everything in one thread and make this easier for other members to point any person having issue like these to this thread. Now keep in mind that I am not a professional developer, Im just here to tell the basics of flashing a stock firmware, IF I make any mistake please let me know and also this thread will be a long briefly explained one so please read carefully and consider everything before applying anything. :)

or If you have an unlocked bootloader and are rooted, and the only change you did to your phone was replacing recovery to root.. Here is another option to flash Stock Recovery back on your phone to get ready to install the latest OTA -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ooted-t3027079 credits goes to @KidJoe .

3:You must consider of having an Unlocked Bootloader before proceeding any further, Or if you have a locked bootloader this method might work on the locked bootloaders also but, again flashing different carriers firmware on a locked bootloader device will get you more screwed up
    This method should also work for the locked bootloaders but be 100% sure that you are flashing the correct signed firmware of your specific carrier. As for the Bootloader Unlock, There are not much of options for now, You can unlock your bootloader either from the motorola official site or use sunshine unlocker to unlock your bootloader. Refer to this thread : http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/request-help-exploit-moto-x-bl-t2828471 by @samwathegreat to have an idea about the sunshine unlocking method.

4:You messed up your stock rom and freezed some apps
    If you have rooted, put xposed etc. Dont plan to revert back by restoring the freezed apps and Instead just flash the stock firmware from RSD. Restoring back freezed apps etc will cause more problems. But make sure you uninstall all of the frameworks of xposed before proceeding to flash stock firmware.

5:This method will wipe your data completely
    As the Title says this method will obviously wipe every single piece of your personal data stored on this phone such as pictures,contacts,videos and pretty much everything. So be sure to backup your data on your pc or anywhere.

NOTE:BEFORE you flash away from Stock, on the phone you first go App Drawer -> Settings -> About Phone... Make note of what is listed under System Version, Android Version, and build number. Then visit one (or all) of the sites until that host the leaked SBF files until you find the SBF that matches and down load the file to your PC for use later.. The file name will usually contain parts or all of that info listed under settings, and possibly the carrier name, or acronym for the carrier name (Verizon might be VZW, Rogers Canada might be RCI, etc).

android version is 4.4.4

IF you are already running a CUSTOM or 3Rd party rom, like CM, system version and build number will not match STOCK Moto SBF files. credits goes to @KidJoe for adding this additional info about figuring out what ROM is on your phone.

For the people who have flashed the 5.1 soak test/leak and are stuck at some certain point
    So you couldn't wait and flashed the LEAKED test/soak versions of 5.02 and 5.1 and your bootloader is upgraded to 30.BC or 30.BD you are stuck on a bootloop and cant get your phone to work ----> There is nothing you could really do to save your self till now only one thing you can do is wait! DO NOT DOWNGRADE YOUR BOOTLOADER/FIRMWARE as that will risk bricking, but rather WAIT and hope a 5.1 SBF for their model/carrier leaks in the coming weeks/months, then fully flash it to return to stock. credits goes to @KidJoe for adding this info.

Good luck mates!

----

android version is 4.4.4

-------

I am a bit confused though. Doesn't this page say it's available?

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/105221

Am I reading something wrong?
    Yes, those are release notes... But there are many variants of the 2013 Moto X (aka 1st gen), and each variant will get the update at different times.

You said you have the Verizon version. Verizon has NOT started pushing 5.1.

And other that test drives via the Moto Feedback Network (MFN), I've not seen reports of a GA release to all 1St Gen Moto X's yet.

Also, notice that page says "If you have received a notification message for this update:" Well, have you received a notification for that update yet? I bet not.

---------- Post added at 11:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 AM ----------

Motorola would only send me the link for 4.4.2 for my phone. Is that OK to use instead of 4.4.4?
    PMJI late, but... Moto has the 4.4.4 images for the 1st Gen Dev Edition for Verizon on their page. https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/standalone/bootloader/recovery-images

Its listed as...
    Code:
    MOTO X, VZW Dev Edition:
    KK-4.4.4-KXA21.12-L1.26.1-1 (VZW)
    I have a Developer's Edition of this phone so I don't think I installed any custom recovery, but it's been a while so I do not remember. Is there any different process for those with Developer Editions of the phone other than not locking the bootloader? I never installed a custom ROM or anything. I don't even think I installed a custom recovery since the unlocking came right from Motorola. Also, I really do not want to do a factory wipe; I just want to be able to go to "about phone" and get the update. :)

I am still on 4.2.2 and would like to go to Lollipop (Motorola's page doesn't even have a download for 4.2.2 for Verizon! So now I don't know what to do!)..
    There is nothing special for the Developer Editions of the 2013 X compared to any other. In reality it was ability to unlock the bootloader by getting the code from Moto without voiding warranty, and not being able to customize its look and memory size. For all but the ATT XT1058, Republic Wireless XT1049, and the Retail/MotoMaker Verizon XT1060, you could unlock the bootloader by getting the code from Moto, but it voided the warranty.

In your case, you mention Verizon... and you say you are STILL on 4.2.2... So you're not getting the OTA updates for some reason (you likely messed with 3C_OTA.APK and its ODEX file, or are running a custom rom with the updater disabled. So I would download the 4.4.4 XT1060 Verizon Dev rom from Moto's web site, and follow the instructions on Moto's page, using moto's Fastboot, to flash it.. that will take you to 4.4.4 STOCK, not rooted, no custom recovery, etc. At that point, you can sit and wait for the 5.1 update to finally get pushed.
    Just to confirm, the following should be Rogers 4.4.4 XT1058 ROM correct?

XT1058_RCI-CA_4.4.4_KXA21.12-L1.26_59_cid14_CFC_1FF.xml.zip

RCI - Rogers Canada
    KXA21.12-L1.26 - What my stock Rogers 4.4.4 Moto X says undr build number

I know it's a sstupid question but my first Rogers Moto X was stuck on AT&T ROM for a couple months back in the day before the Rogers sbf came out (my own fault)... =( Just wanna be super duper condom safe
    While that is the correct rom/SBF for a Rogers Canada (RCI) XT1058, when you mention being Stuck on an ATT Rom, the only caution I have would be if the GPT.BIN and Motoboot.img components are NEWER in the ATT rom on your phone, you wont be able to flash the RCI SBF without error, and potential bricking.

For more see -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto-x/general/info-warning-risks-downgrading-impacts-t3058202 especially points #3, #9, #12 in the original post, and Post #6 and Post #9 of that thread.

Of course, if the GPT/Motoboot components are newer (or somehow the same) in the RCI SBF, you are safe.