[GUIDE] For Newbs!How to [RECOVERY,ROOT] for .291 MM Z3C(Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

Strmy

Sep 13, 2014
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hi! So i created this thread because I am experienced to rooting and flashing recoveries etc. but i was new to xperia world.
So when i wanted to flash new recovery, i had too many questions and little answers.
However, i did it :D
Ofcourse, with help of @kwstas13 none of this would be possible :angel:
So, how to install recovery and root to get most out of yours Z3c with locked bootloader?
1. Ure phone needs to have more than 50% battery.

2.Download flashtool. DOWNLOAD
Download all 3 file attachments from thread made by @russel5 DOWNLOAD
Download superuser mod from thread made by @Rajeev (For 291 Build)DOWNLOAD
Download SuperSU from THIS link

3.Once everything is downloaded, copy superuser mod amd superSU to the phone.
Install flashtool, navigate to its folder, and open folder called Drivers and install following drivers: Flashmode drivers,fastboot drivers and xperia z3 compact drivers.

4.Find kernel575.zip and kernel291.zip, rename them to kernel575.ftf and kernel291.ftf.
Copy kernel 575.tft to C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares\

5. Start flashtool as admin, press black lighting and then press flashmode. For source, navigate to C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares\
Under firmware tab, you should see Xperia Z3 Compact, press arrow to the left to open D5804 tab, press againt to open stock kernel tab, press again to open the kernel. Click on the kernel and click flash
Flashtool will give you instructions to finish the flash.(One tab will pop up, press no)

6. After flashing kernel, turn on the phone. Check kernel build date > Settings > About phone. If it's April 22, 2016, you successfully flashed the 575 firmware. The 291 kernel is dated June 28, 2016.
Open developer options and enable USBdebugging and plug phone to the pc.

7. Extract recovery_for_mm575.zip to the desktop, run install.bat as admin(be sure that flashtool is closed and install.bat and its folder are on desktop). After it finishes, phone will restart to the recovery.

8. In recovery, go to install tab, navigate to zips you placed on the phone. Flash ''SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip'' and flash ''superuser_238_291.zip'' file, then reboot system and check if theres a superSU app in app drawer.

9. Turn off the phone, now using previous steps you need to flash kernel291.ftf placing it in the same folder you placed kernel575.ftf. Make sure to delete kernel575.ftf.
After flashing it, using previous steps make sure you have right kernel by checking kernel build date(june28,2016)

10. Thats it. If u have any questions, I'll be answering them under 5mins... I really hope this helps and clears something for u. :eek:

Huge thanks to @kwstas13 :cool: :cool:

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Cheers for the guide. I'm just curious if anyone has tried this yet? Am I right in thinking this keeps the DRM intact?

Perhaps I'm being blind here too, but I can't find the "Download SuperSU from attachment on this post" ... can't see the attachment.

Vega_s

Jan 14, 2017
thanks for the guide, it worked successfully.
mentioned SuperSU 2.78 flashable zip can be downloaded here: http :// www . supersu . com / download (sorry for spaces, forum engine does not allow me to post external URLs)
I also encountered an error when installing Flashtool drivers, my Win 7 refused to execute DPInst.exe. to solve the issue I did the following:
1. do not close the error message so files from %USER_DIRECTORY%\AppData\Local\Temp\Flashtool would not be removed.
2. choose the Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode to run your dpinst*.exe (e.g. dpinst64.exe).
3. run dpinst*.exe.
4. close the error message.
5. continue installing other Flashtool drivers in a normal way.

kwstas 13

Sep 11, 2011
Cheers for the guide. I'm just curious if anyone has tried this yet? Am I right in thinking this keeps the DRM intact?

Perhaps I'm being blind here too, but I can't find the "Download SuperSU from attachment on this post" ... can't see the attachment.

You are right, download it, I attach it below in case you need it...I messaged him that he forgot to add it on OP but he didn't reply.

Attachments

• SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 13,883
Last edited:

Strmy

Sep 13, 2014
Redmi Note 10 Pro

Your DRM is intact because youre not unlocking bootloader

Poslano sa mog D5833 koristeći Tapatalk

Reactions: allclownsareevil

Strmy

Sep 13, 2014
Redmi Note 10 Pro
mentioned SuperSU 2.78 flashable zip can be downloaded here: http :// www . supersu . com / download (sorry for spaces, forum engine does not allow me to post external URLs)
I also encountered an error when installing Flashtool drivers, my Win 7 refused to execute DPInst.exe. to solve the issue I did the following:
1. do not close the error message so files from %USER_DIRECTORY%\AppData\Local\Temp\Flashtool would not be removed.
2. choose the Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode to run your dpinst*.exe (e.g. dpinst64.exe).
3. run dpinst*.exe.

Thats not very common problem. But thanks for the solution :cool:
Theres now link in the post for downloading SuperSU :angel:

Reactions: allclownsareevil
Jun 3, 2013

Yeah I saw that by reading a few other posts. I should have been a little less lazy.

Your guide is really helpful, but mind if I make two suggestions?

In step 4.
4.Find kernel575.zip and kernel291.zip, rename them to kernel575.ftf and kernel291.ftf.

The location "C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares" will not exist until you run Flashtool, it only creates those folders upon its first run. Flashtool needs to be run before step 4 happens.

The second suggestion was regarding "recovery_for_mm575.zip". I had to run install.bat as admin twice. I don't know why, both times gave me the same success message prompt, but for whatever reason it only worked on the second attempt.

Thanks again for posting buddy.

Strmy

Sep 13, 2014
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Yeah I saw that by reading a few other posts. I should have been a little less lazy.

In step 4.

The location "C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares" will not exist until you run Flashtool, it only creates those folders upon its first run. Flashtool needs to be run before step 4 happens.

The second suggestion was regarding "recovery_for_mm575.zip". I had to run install.bat as admin twice. I don't know why, both times gave me the same success message prompt, but for whatever reason it only worked on the second attempt.

Ill fix the step 4.
For install.bat, if its on desktop and stil does that, report problem in their thread

kwstas 13

Sep 11, 2011

Make sure Flashtool and/or Xperia Companion is closed before you begint the whole procedure with "recovery_for_mm575.zip" file! I had the same issue when I first tried to install it, hope this helps you

Jun 3, 2013
Make sure Flashtool and/or Xperia Companion is closed before you begint the whole procedure with "recovery_for_mm575.zip" file! I had the same issue when I first tried to install it, hope this helps you

I said that in guide too.

Nope all other programs were closed, firewall wide open. No idea why it had to be run twice, just thought to mention it.

Flash recovery without root?

Hi, thanks a lot for posting this. Is it possible to flash recovery but not root, i.e. skip the steps where you flash SuperSU? I'm running stock .291 MM with LB on my Z3C.

I ask because I want to flash panzerox123's awesome-sounding stock-based ROM and keep using Android Pay.

Thanks!

Strmy

Sep 13, 2014
Redmi Note 10 Pro
Hi, thanks a lot for posting this. Is it possible to flash recovery but not root, i.e. skip the steps where you flash SuperSU? I'm running stock .291 MM with LB on my Z3C.

I ask because I want to flash panzerox123's awesome-sounding stock-based ROM and keep using Android Pay.

Thanks!
Im using his rom, root shouldnt create any problem for the rom or the pay..

ayamkecil

Nov 18, 2012
Hello... after TWRP installed, how do i boot to TWRP?
i tried power on and press volume up + down simultaneuosly but it doesnt work

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi! So i created this thread because I am experienced to rooting and flashing recoveries etc. but i was new to xperia world.
    So when i wanted to flash new recovery, i had too many questions and little answers.
    However, i did it :D
    Ofcourse, with help of @kwstas13 none of this would be possible :angel:
    So, how to install recovery and root to get most out of yours Z3c with locked bootloader?
    1. Ure phone needs to have more than 50% battery.

2.Download flashtool. DOWNLOAD
    Download all 3 file attachments from thread made by @russel5 DOWNLOAD
    Download superuser mod from thread made by @Rajeev (For 291 Build)DOWNLOAD
    Download SuperSU from THIS link

3.Once everything is downloaded, copy superuser mod amd superSU to the phone.
    Install flashtool, navigate to its folder, and open folder called Drivers and install following drivers: Flashmode drivers,fastboot drivers and xperia z3 compact drivers.

5. Start flashtool as admin, press black lighting and then press flashmode. For source, navigate to C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares\
    Under firmware tab, you should see Xperia Z3 Compact, press arrow to the left to open D5804 tab, press againt to open stock kernel tab, press again to open the kernel. Click on the kernel and click flash
    Flashtool will give you instructions to finish the flash.(One tab will pop up, press no)

6. After flashing kernel, turn on the phone. Check kernel build date > Settings > About phone. If it's April 22, 2016, you successfully flashed the 575 firmware. The 291 kernel is dated June 28, 2016.
    Open developer options and enable USBdebugging and plug phone to the pc.

7. Extract recovery_for_mm575.zip to the desktop, run install.bat as admin(be sure that flashtool is closed and install.bat and its folder are on desktop). After it finishes, phone will restart to the recovery.

8. In recovery, go to install tab, navigate to zips you placed on the phone. Flash ''SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip'' and flash ''superuser_238_291.zip'' file, then reboot system and check if theres a superSU app in app drawer.

9. Turn off the phone, now using previous steps you need to flash kernel291.ftf placing it in the same folder you placed kernel575.ftf. Make sure to delete kernel575.ftf.
    After flashing it, using previous steps make sure you have right kernel by checking kernel build date(june28,2016)

10. Thats it. If u have any questions, I'll be answering them under 5mins... I really hope this helps and clears something for u. :eek:

Huge thanks to @kwstas13 :cool: :cool:
    3. run dpinst*.exe.

You are right, download it, I attach it below in case you need it...I messaged him that he forgot to add it on OP but he didn't reply.
    Hi can you please upload both the kernel ftf files in one zip for me, because if i rename the zip to ftf it still shown as zip format only so its not recognized by the flashtool.

Sorry for my bad english:)

You have to enable the visualization of file name extensions in Windows, look for it on Google. This way, you'll see the .zip extension and be able to change it.

In step 4.