• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[GUIDE] For Newbs!How to [RECOVERY,ROOT] for .291 MM Z3C(Locked Bootloader)

Search This thread

petrishki

Mar 11, 2014
When I try to connect my phone in flashmode(step 5), Win10 can't detect it - it shows error driver related message... I've installed all necessary drivers correctly.. Any advice?

petrishki

Mar 11, 2014
Flashmode Drivers, Fastboot Drivers, Xperia Z3 Compact Device Driver. I am able to enter just Fastboot, holding the volume UP key .... I can see that in Flashtool log. Also in the same log if you have missing drivers it gives you red text error that you miss them, so I suppose I installed drivers correctly, is that wrong? I guess I should try on my laptop running Win7?

Xdiptkp

Nov 21, 2017
Hello, and thanks for your work. I succesfully flashed the kernel, then the recovery and superuseser and supersu, and Then I reboot and the phone is back in the same way as before the recovery. The proximity sensor if faulty so I need to root this thing to be able to use it ;)

I tried clearing cache and / and without. (mentioned in a lot in other threads.)
It's a branded phone. (T-mobile) Don't know if that matters.
I tried rootchecker and it says root is not correctly installed and potentially dangerous... :rolleyes: Edit , my bad; I have root acces! I struggled to a lot of methods but in a lot of them the download links were dead for some neccesary files. So, thanks again dude! I rooted my first phone and fixed the black screen on calling bug on my Z3C

On a sidenote ; For real newbees like me it would have been nice to have the line to make the extensions in windows visible there. In order for windows to see a .zip changed to a .ftf file.
But I found it in the comments. ;)

Last edited:

cooltime

Nov 27, 2017
Some notes on my process, from someone new to Android, rooting, etc.. My end goal was unlocked bootloader to install a custom ROM. I wanted to backup my DRM keys too. One of the resources I found implied that we needed a really old root exploit, but I don't know. I ran the backup program using root on the latest 291 firmware. This was after downgrading to the 575 version mentioned in the first post of this thread to install root.

Getting the drivers to install was a hassle. sony net driver 05 05 2014 was "not needed". Installing the drivers took enabling this:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=61375142&postcount=61
Code:
bcdedit /set testsigning on
As well as restarting Windows 10 x64 with "advanced startup options" to disable driver signature checks. To stay on the safe side, I also followed the directions from Sony for unlocking the bootloader, but I did not finish, because that would delete my DRM keys.
HTML:
A. Install the Android SDK and the device drivers

1. Download and install the Android SDK. The SDK Manager is included in Android Studio, but you don’t need to install more than the basic Android command line tools. These can be found at the bottom of the page.
Tip: Take note of the installation path, you may need to access specific files later.
a. If you are running Windows: You need to install additional drivers.
1. When completing the installation, open the Android SDK Manager and go to the Extras folder to install the Google USB driver.
2. Download and install an updated Fastboot driver. This is the standardandroid_winusb.inf-file, with a few lines of code added to enable Fastboot to support Sony devices.
3. Replace the original android_winusb.inf-file with the downloaded file in theusb_driver folder, located in the Android >sdk > extras > google  folder on your computer.
https://developer.sonymobile.com/downloads/drivers/fastboot-driver/

The Sony instructions are unclear; finding the Android SDK Manager is hard. Google might help you there.

For running FlashTool as admin, you have to put the files in the *administrator* user folder. I don't run Windows as an admin so the files didn't belong in my personal user folder.

Use this to backup DRM keys. [UNMAINTAINED][TOOL][LB][ROOT] Backup TA v9.11 for Windows [20140615] https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2292598

What do you lose with lost DRM keys? https://forum.xda-developers.com/z3-compact/general/loss-drm-keys-t2890936

root_mac

Mar 22, 2018
I am stuck on the following point:

3. ....... Install flashtool, navigate to its folder, and open folder called Drivers and install following drivers: Flashmode drivers,fastboot drivers and xperia z3 compact drivers.

As I am using MacOS, I look in the contents folder of the Flashtool application, but I cannot see a file called 'Drivers' or similar anywhere.

Flashtool seems to detect my phone without issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nortelus

Feb 26, 2015
I am stuck on the following point:

As I am using MacOS, I look in the contents folder of the Flashtool application, but I cannot see a file called 'Drivers' or similar anywhere.

Flashtool seems to detect my phone without issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Look at post #9 in this thread, it may help if you haven't already sorted it out.

RAZR-93

Dec 14, 2015
Kandy
I have a Docomo variant of the Z3C... I flashed the D5803 ftf .291 ftf... I tried your guide, flashed .575 kernel but doesn't change in the settings or else. What should I do?

EDIT: I've managed to install .291 D5803 firmware but flashing .575 doesn't change the kernel and it starts the same. So I flashed the .575 firmware itself but kernel date stays at May 2016.

Why's that?

All the flashing processes go through properly but only the kernel is having issues...

Last edited:

sev7en

Jul 10, 2006
www.maccopoli.net
I have a Docomo variant of the Z3C... I flashed the D5803 ftf .291 ftf... I tried your guide, flashed .575 kernel but doesn't change in the settings or else. What should I do?

EDIT: I've managed to install .291 D5803 firmware but flashing .575 doesn't change the kernel and it starts the same. So I flashed the .575 firmware itself but kernel date stays at May 2016.

Why's that?

All the flashing processes go through properly but only the kernel is having issues...
Same as mine, it looks like that Docomo so "special".

Reactions: meverick72

RAZR-93

Dec 14, 2015
Kandy
Same as mine, it looks like that Docomo so "special".

I've managed to install D5803 firmware though. Only stock based firmwares seem to work though. Anything else bootloops and I've need to flash stock again, then recovery and stuffs. I've tried only the unofficial Carbon Oreo builds... So, I am not so sure about the other roms.

If you'd like to know how I flashed the D5803 firmware let me know.

tommek82

Feb 15, 2016
4.Find kernel575.zip and kernel291.zip, rename them to kernel575.ftf and kernel291.ftf.
Copy kernel 575.tft to C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares\
Please tell me if this is correct?
My original kernel is 291. So should I first copy to "\flashTool\firmwares" folder kernel575.tft file to flash it or kernel291.ftf ???

6. After flashing kernel, turn on the phone. Check kernel build date > Settings > About phone. If it's April 22, 2016, you successfully flashed the 575 firmware. The 291 kernel is dated June 28, 2016.
Open developer options and enable USBdebugging and plug phone to the pc.
I am not sure that I understand this point. Before rooting I checked my kernel and it was 291 (22.04.2016).
After succesful flashing I checked it again and it was still 291 (22.04.2016).

7. Extract recovery_for_mm575.zip to the desktop, run install.bat as admin(be sure that flashtool is closed and install.bat and its folder are on desktop). After it finishes, phone will restart to the recovery.
I' m stuck at this point. After it finishes my Z3C restarted not into recovery but it started in normal Android.
Is there another way to get into recovery?

Last edited:

angryplum

Dec 24, 2010
Please tell me if this is correct?
My original kernel is 291. So should I first copy to "\flashTool\firmwares" folder kernel575.tft file to flash it or kernel291.ftf ???

I am not sure that I understand this point. Before rooting I checked my kernel and it was 291 (22.04.2016).
After succesful flashing I checked it again and it was still 291 (22.04.2016).

I' m stuck at this point. After it finishes my Z3C restarted not into recovery but it started in normal Android.
Is there another way to get into recovery?

i just finished with my Z3c root. Thanx a mil to OP and your "muse"

As for the firmware... you can copy both firmware files at the same time (just had a rahzel flashback... damn im old)

after you click the bolt and choose flash mode, you get to pick which firmware you want to write.

you want to flash down to 0.575 so you can apply/zip install the recovery.

make sure that you run the flash tool with administrator rights (right click run as administrator) and that your flashmode driver installed correctly.

also that the ftf files are in the correct location "%userprofile%\.flashTool\firmwares" folder not "\flashTool\firmwares" folder as you stated. (you missed a '.')

good luck

Last edited:

temporary2010

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver

This is what you are doing:
- flash to old kernel (575)
- install recovery
- flash back to new kernel (291)

You don't actually need to move those kernel*.ftf files anywhere. Just click on the Lightning Button in Flashtool, then browse to wherever those files are.

Uschiekid

Sep 21, 2013
I am looking for very basic help.

I use my old z3c for a project that involves taking photos. My z3c has a problem with the touch screen that means the top half has unreliable touch. So I was trying to transfer photos to a memory stick and it instead deleted them. They were on the internal memory.

So I was looking how to recover them, and every thing I found indicated I need to root my phone. All I care about is making sure those deleted photos aren't lost forever and not losing the DRM keys for the camera.

I've never rooted, or done anything similar. My z3c is on firmware .291 of marshmallow. I have a computer that runs windows 7 pro and ubuntu 16.04 (but I am no expert at linux either).

From what I understand I have to flash to .575 (and i would need to untick clear data...or something) and then I can root, and presumably find a way to recover the photos.

If any one has the patience to explain how I can do all of this for an utter noob, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

Techanderer

Sep 30, 2019
Hello to everyone.

I'm kind of a noob with all the technical things in the rooting process, but I normally can follow tutorials and get the things done. I've already rooted a Z5 compact a few months ago, but now I'm not being able to root my older z3 compact.

My main problem is that my model is the D5833 (I bought it in Brazil some years ago). When I try to follow these guide, I can't flash the "kernel 575.tft" because it says "The bundle does not match the connected device". I tried to use these files, and I can flash it and get the TWRP to work, but I can't root it because I can't install Super User or Magisk (It allways fails to install). The problem is that this was the only tutorial I found with all the files available, but I don't have the roms for the D5833 (here we have only for D5803).

Can someone help me? Is there a kernel575 for D5833?

temporary2010

Dec 22, 2013
Vancouver
My main problem is that my model is the D5833 (I bought it in Brazil some years ago). When I try to follow these guide, I can't flash the "kernel 575.tft" because it says "The bundle does not match the connected device". I tried to use these files, and I can flash it and get the TWRP to work, but I can't root it because I can't install Super User or Magisk (It allways fails to install). The problem is that this was the only tutorial I found with all the files available, but I don't have the roms for the D5833 (here we have only for D5803).
I'm not really sure what your problem is, but you can download the latest firmware using Xperifirm from within Flashtool.

Since you've already got TWRP installed, you may want to try building your own pre-rooted ROM:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=58395100&postcount=71

I think that's what I did for my X3c. Rooted Android 4.4.4, installed dual recovery, then created a pre-rooted 5.1.1 ROM/zip and updated in recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: Techanderer

J.O

Apr 26, 2020
Hello,

I have a sony A4 (SO-04G), an i would like to know how to install TWRP as it is sometimes branded as a Sony Z3C.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi! So i created this thread because I am experienced to rooting and flashing recoveries etc. but i was new to xperia world.
    So when i wanted to flash new recovery, i had too many questions and little answers.
    However, i did it :D
    Ofcourse, with help of @kwstas13 none of this would be possible :angel:
    So, how to install recovery and root to get most out of yours Z3c with locked bootloader?
    1. Ure phone needs to have more than 50% battery.

2.Download flashtool. DOWNLOAD
    Download all 3 file attachments from thread made by @russel5 DOWNLOAD
    Download superuser mod from thread made by @Rajeev (For 291 Build)DOWNLOAD
    Download SuperSU from THIS link

3.Once everything is downloaded, copy superuser mod amd superSU to the phone.
    Install flashtool, navigate to its folder, and open folder called Drivers and install following drivers: Flashmode drivers,fastboot drivers and xperia z3 compact drivers.

4.Find kernel575.zip and kernel291.zip, rename them to kernel575.ftf and kernel291.ftf.

5. Start flashtool as admin, press black lighting and then press flashmode. For source, navigate to C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares\
    Under firmware tab, you should see Xperia Z3 Compact, press arrow to the left to open D5804 tab, press againt to open stock kernel tab, press again to open the kernel. Click on the kernel and click flash
    Flashtool will give you instructions to finish the flash.(One tab will pop up, press no)

6. After flashing kernel, turn on the phone. Check kernel build date > Settings > About phone. If it's April 22, 2016, you successfully flashed the 575 firmware. The 291 kernel is dated June 28, 2016.
    Open developer options and enable USBdebugging and plug phone to the pc.

7. Extract recovery_for_mm575.zip to the desktop, run install.bat as admin(be sure that flashtool is closed and install.bat and its folder are on desktop). After it finishes, phone will restart to the recovery.

8. In recovery, go to install tab, navigate to zips you placed on the phone. Flash ''SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip'' and flash ''superuser_238_291.zip'' file, then reboot system and check if theres a superSU app in app drawer.

9. Turn off the phone, now using previous steps you need to flash kernel291.ftf placing it in the same folder you placed kernel575.ftf. Make sure to delete kernel575.ftf.
    After flashing it, using previous steps make sure you have right kernel by checking kernel build date(june28,2016)

10. Thats it. If u have any questions, I'll be answering them under 5mins... I really hope this helps and clears something for u. :eek:

Huge thanks to @kwstas13 :cool: :cool:
    thanks for the guide, it worked successfully.
    mentioned SuperSU 2.78 flashable zip can be downloaded here: http :// www . supersu . com / download (sorry for spaces, forum engine does not allow me to post external URLs)
    I also encountered an error when installing Flashtool drivers, my Win 7 refused to execute DPInst.exe. to solve the issue I did the following:
    1. do not close the error message so files from %USER_DIRECTORY%\AppData\Local\Temp\Flashtool would not be removed.
    2. choose the Windows Vista SP2 compatibility mode to run your dpinst*.exe (e.g. dpinst64.exe).
    3. run dpinst*.exe.
    4. close the error message.
    5. continue installing other Flashtool drivers in a normal way.
    Cheers for the guide. I'm just curious if anyone has tried this yet? Am I right in thinking this keeps the DRM intact?

Perhaps I'm being blind here too, but I can't find the "Download SuperSU from attachment on this post" ... can't see the attachment.

You are right, download it, I attach it below in case you need it...I messaged him that he forgot to add it on OP but he didn't reply.
    Hi can you please upload both the kernel ftf files in one zip for me, because if i rename the zip to ftf it still shown as zip format only so its not recognized by the flashtool.

Sorry for my bad english:)

You have to enable the visualization of file name extensions in Windows, look for it on Google. This way, you'll see the .zip extension and be able to change it.
    Your DRM is intact because youre not unlocking bootloader

Yeah I saw that by reading a few other posts. I should have been a little less lazy.

Your guide is really helpful, but mind if I make two suggestions?

In step 4.

The location "C:\Users\(username)\.flashTool\firmwares" will not exist until you run Flashtool, it only creates those folders upon its first run. Flashtool needs to be run before step 4 happens.

The second suggestion was regarding "recovery_for_mm575.zip". I had to run install.bat as admin twice. I don't know why, both times gave me the same success message prompt, but for whatever reason it only worked on the second attempt.

Thanks again for posting buddy.