[GUIDE] found reason why battery doesn't feel like 6000mAh and how to calibrate

Search This thread

dvijetrecine

Mar 7, 2012
SOLUTION: deplete your battery to zero. now, when you turn on your phone, it will go through boot sequence and as soon as it hits homescreen it will turn off.
what you need to do is enter recovery.

press power and volume up.

then choose with vol up/down recovery.

and let it stay there till it shuts down on its own.

after that, you won't be able to turn your phone on and when connected to charger red led will flash. just let it charge for a few hours and you're ready. after that, battery should be restored to full capacity.

let me know if that helps

a few days ago i wanted to find out why our phone doesn't feel like it has 6000mAh battery.

i tried and am still using tweaks from that 25 SOT tweaks thread. but battery life just doesn't feel right. before i used those tweaks, or uninstalled any of the unnecessary apps, i had about 12 hours SOT with 4 hours of playing heavy games (codm and pubgm).

now i'm lucky if i get 2-3 hours of gameplay and around 8 hours of overall SOT. okay, sometimes i stretch it to 10 hours, but that's rare.

installed a few battery calibration /battery health or/and wear apps and i saw something that could easily explain why a lot of us don't feel like we have 6000 mAh battery.

ALL of battery wear/health apps shows that full charged phone doesn't go over 5000mAh.

as i'm rooted, i went into sys/class/power_supply/battery and opened "charge_full" file. it showed 4942000. if you remove those three zeroes, you get the same number as all of those battery apps show: 4942 mAh.

i have accubattery installed and will try to use their battery health option to see what number will i get after charging from zero to 100.

i also tried to edit that charge_full file to show 5942000 but it would just revert to the previuos number.

also, my phone is not even a year old so that kind of battery degradation shouldn't even be possible. or maybe asus put ****ty batteries in our phones.

another thing that is worth noticing is how battery lasts longer after a complete wipe and new OS install so it's not that there is a real battery problem but more like kernel problem or something. i'm not the only one that noticed that. there was another user on "25 hours SOT tweaks" thread that said the same thing.

EDIT: would be nice if this thread is moved to "guides, news, discussion" as this is now a guide with some background why i made it

Last edited:

DarkSoul88

Dec 23, 2010
Katowice
Same thing for me. Franco Kernel Manager shows 80% of battery health after a year of using. I dont even use a quick charge, and im always charging phone over night with charge hours active. I wonder how the heck my battery degraded so much. I have never done a full wipe and new os install, always upgrade only. I dont want to waste my time to configure entire phone once more. So i want my 1k mah back too ;)

dvijetrecine

Mar 7, 2012
i'm backing up my phone and doing a wipe in a day or two. i'll give accubattery one day to prove that there is more than 5000 mAh capacity.

i mean, i don't care what it says, i just want 12 hours SOT with heavy usage back. i deleted some log files and stuff and restarted. battery seems like it's getting discharged quicker, which is a good sign, as charge left and percentage does not correspond with each other

DarkSoul88

Dec 23, 2010
Katowice
I need a full wipe too becouse right now 2 alarms eating my battery so fast
Job.delay and job.deadline.. Over a night im losing about 15/20% battery.. I have block every suspixious wakelock and this 2 alarms are getting me mad..

dvijetrecine

Mar 7, 2012
blocking wakelocks is what could actually be the problem. before i applied any tweaks, my battery was perfect. then i started messing around in kernel manager and here i am lol

KnowThyPro

Jul 4, 2018
I'll give this a try later on this evening and will give my feedback. I'm using stock kernel and i also check the 25 sot on another thread that when i applied the settings it breaks what's important to me which is the battery manager since i always charge overnight and without it I'll always hit 100% by the time i wake up so i reverted back for now.

dvijetrecine

Mar 7, 2012
I'll give this a try later on this evening and will give my feedback. I'm using stock kernel and i also check the 25 sot on another thread that when i applied the settings it breaks what's important to me which is the battery manager since i always charge overnight and without it I'll always hit 100% by the time i wake up so i reverted back for now.

that guy unfortunately doesn't know much about what his tweaks are doing to our phone. i mean, you can disable some apps and analytics. but not everything. he disabled grip sensors and i use squeeze to screenshot and to turn on flashlight. later on i found out in the middle of the game that game genie, or air triggers, don't work. it's a mess. he probably uses his phone for checking emails and texting/making phone calls. ofc he won't miss airtriggers and specific asus related functions.

edit: he definitely uses this phone for very basic stuff.

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
The battery has the capacity it has, no app or firmware can change that. All they can do is misreport the actual capacity.
Accubattery shows you the total mAh consumption in a given usage cycle. It may be accurate or not.
Most Li's have about 200 full cycles before significant degradation occurs so if you top it off every night for 200 days from 6-100%, yes you could have significant degradation.

Li's love partial midrange usage (40-65%) with frequent charging vs being charged to 100% (100-20%) with one big shot charging.
Avoid charging beyond 90% with 80% being a better cap limit. 64-70% is ideal for longevity*.
Avoid discharging below 20% it needlessly stresses the battery.
40% is an ideal discharge cut off.
Avoid charging if battery is below 70°F as it can cause Li plating.
Never charged if bat temp is 32°F or less.
Never charge if bat temp is near 100°F and stop charging if it climbs to 100°F or cool.

×*Doing this can extend battery life by hundreds even thousands of full charge cycles. A partial charge in this range is a very small fraction of a full charge cycle.

Reactions: Phoen1xSRT

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Perhaps @Oswald Boelcke could move it to guides, as per OPs request....?

Cheers
    The battery has the capacity it has, no app or firmware can change that. All they can do is misreport the actual capacity.
    Accubattery shows you the total mAh consumption in a given usage cycle. It may be accurate or not.
    Most Li's have about 200 full cycles before significant degradation occurs so if you top it off every night for 200 days from 6-100%, yes you could have significant degradation.

Li's love partial midrange usage (40-65%) with frequent charging vs being charged to 100% (100-20%) with one big shot charging.
    Avoid charging beyond 90% with 80% being a better cap limit. 64-70% is ideal for longevity*.
    Avoid discharging below 20% it needlessly stresses the battery.
    40% is an ideal discharge cut off.
    Avoid charging if battery is below 70°F as it can cause Li plating.
    Never charged if bat temp is 32°F or less.
    Never charge if bat temp is near 100°F and stop charging if it climbs to 100°F or cool.

×*Doing this can extend battery life by hundreds even thousands of full charge cycles. A partial charge in this range is a very small fraction of a full charge cycle.
    Perhaps @Oswald Boelcke could move it to guides, as per OPs request....?

Cheers
    CC @dvijetrecine

Accomplished as requested.

Stay safe and stay healthy!
    Regards
    Oswald Boelcke
    CC @dvijetrecine

Accomplished as requested.

Stay safe and stay healthy!
    Regards
    Oswald Boelcke

thanks mod!