[GUIDE] Galaxy S4 Sim-Unlocking

Search This thread

audit13

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Did you try flashing a 4.4.2 ROM, 4.2.2 modem, root, run regionlockaway app, flash latest stock rom, and check to see if the phone is sim unlocked?

63glide

Nov 22, 2015
I recently received a used i9505 that I purchased from an online retailer. They stated the phone was unlocked. My current provider is Verizon so I couldn't just pop in the sim to see if it was unlocked and things worked. I plan to use this phone when traveling overseas.
I followed the guide in the first post of this thread and also several other posts and pages in this thread. Because I could not get to the step on the phone where the three options appear for PERSO_SHA256, I thought I was sunk and the phone was locked as the only option that shows is PERSO_SHA256 INFO. If I select that, it says SHA256_ENABLE_FLAG [1]. Reading all the posts implied this means the phone is locked.
Being curious, I drove to an AT&T store. They put in a sim card and the phone and data service worked :). I then went to a T-Mobile store and they put in a sim card. To my surprise, phone and data service worked also :D!

Is it safe to say that my phone is indeed unlocked for overseas use or am I missing something???

The phone is unrooted, unmodified Lollipop 5.0.1. Build LRX22C.19505XXUHPK2

Thanks!

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
It's unlocked. If it wasn't, the moment the AT&T SIM was inserted you would have been prompted to enter an unlock code. So either the reseller got an unlock code, or they used RegionLock Away to remove the SIM lock. Since neither option touches the service menu at all, it's possible to be unlocked yet still have the flag in the service menu set to 1.

Reactions: 63glide

63glide

Nov 22, 2015
It's unlocked. If it wasn't, the moment the AT&T SIM was inserted you would have been prompted to enter an unlock code. So either the reseller got an unlock code, or they used RegionLock Away to remove the SIM lock. Since neither option touches the service menu at all, it's possible to be unlocked yet still have the flag in the service menu set to 1.

What a relief. I'm technologically challenged when it comes to this stuff and your assessment makes my day:good::good::good::) Thank you!!!

laysoft

Apr 1, 2009
I'm using Resurrection Remix, but this ROM not included the necessary code for unlock with this method. Where can i download the simplest ROM, which installable with recovery, and can i use to unlock the phone, after flash back Resurrection Remix?

laysoft

Apr 1, 2009
I guess searching the thread or at least reading the last 10 pages is too much for you, otherwise you wouldn't be trying to do this on a custom ROM when you must be on a stock ROM.

Thank you for the lesson, but my queston was not like "why doesn't works sim unlock with my rom", because i know it is not works on custom roms. My question was, which is the simplest (stock) rom, which is recovery installable, and where can i download it.

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
The simplest stock ROM is the stock ROM. Download it from sammobile.com and flash it via Odin.

Hilati.Ashref

Aug 16, 2017
Network lock

I've followed all the steps but it when i select network lock it says command not available or s.t like this The device was correctly working but after installing and using the first flight rom v6 for two weeks it ask for sim unlock

audit13

Jun 4, 2012
Toronto
Sounds like your phone is not running the correct modem when trying to select the command.

Strephon Alkhalikoi

Aug 3, 2010
Vulcan
Samsung Galaxy S4
Nexus 6
Your first task is to get all parts of the firmware to match, by installing a stock ROM using Odin. If that resolves the SIM issue, then that's great. Otherwise, you need to purchase a replacement SIM card tray from Amazon, open up the S4, remove the old tray and replace it with the new one. Peel the small square of foam off the old tray and place it in the same spot on the new one, then close up the phone.

Hilati.Ashref

Aug 16, 2017
I've tried to install 4.3 stock ROM but I'm not sure if it is a good one but I faced the same issue
I installed it from TWRP because in Odin it ends with fail.
I tried to download another one from sammobile but the download failed. I can't find another place to install the latest lollipop stock ROM (Tunisia)

Witcher030

Jan 24, 2018
I tried to get in service menu after tap 1 it show me this and desapear
MENU NOT EXIST
PRESS BACK KEY
CURRENT COMMAND IS 1111
How to get in service menu?
i am from Serbia

@kitokit

Mar 15, 2017
My friend has a galaxy s4 i9500 5.0.1 and has this network lock problem. what would be the best approach for this problem? can i downgrade directly from 5.0.1 to 4.2.2?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Follow steps carefully and correctly. Remember, this could damage your device.
    Regular disclaimer applies to all.

you have been warned

Instructions:

METHOD 1

1. Dial *#0011#

2. press Menu then tap BACK

3. press the Menu again the tap KEY INPUT then enter 1, press OK button

4. press Menu then tap BACK

Your are now in the SERVICE MODE MAIN MENU

Tap [1]UMTS

then [1]DEBUG SCREEN

then [6]PHONE CONTROL

then [6]NETWORK LOCK

then tap [3]PERSO SHA256 OFF

Go back to the UMTS MAIN MENU by pressing Menu then Back then tap [6]COMMON

then [6]NV REBUILD

then tap [4]RESTORE BACK UP

the device will freeze, black screen, Blue LED Light, Menu and Back key ON. Wait for it to reboot (about a minute).

Your Samsung Galaxy I9505 is now Sim-Unlocked.

----------

METHOD 2 - artnada

This is what I did. Slightly different to OP.

I did this with my AUTHORISED Sim in first.

1. Dial *#0011#
    3. press the Menu again the tap KEY INPUT then enter 1, (wait a few seconds) it auto jumped into service menu.

4. press Menu then tap BACK (not needed for me)

Tap [1]UMTS (may auto go into next menu (mine did)

then [1]DEBUG SCREEN
    then [6]PHONE CONTROL
    then [6]NETWORK LOCK

Go back to the UMTS MAIN MENU by pressing Menu then Back (several times)

then tap [6]COMMON

then [6]NV REBUILD (if this does not work next time)

do [4]RESTORE BACK UP

the device will freeze, black screen, Blue LED Light, Menu and Back key ON. Wait for it to reboot (about a minute).

Edit:

When I booted back in with AUTHORISED sim, I had to turn off Mobile Data, then turn it on.
    I then turned off the phone, put my UNAUTHORSIED Sim in, booted back up and NO NETWORK PIN request!

Again, I had to turn off Mobile data, then turn it back on. The UNAUTHORSIED Sim worked!!! 

My previously locked to Three UK GT-I9505 is now unlocked to all networks  Thanks again to XDA (Y)

----------

It has been reported that this is indeed a "permanent" unlock:

artnada's tests:

I had sim unlocked my phone when I was on the "djemby" pre-rooted I9505XXUAME2-DEODEXED-KNOX-FREE-HD-VOICE

I have just re-flashed my original factory Three ROM. I9505XXUAMDC_I9505H3GAMD6_I9505XXUAMDC_HOME and the Sim unlock was still UNLOCKED!

I then re-flashed back to I9505XXUAME2-DEODEXED-KNOX-FREE-HD-VOICE.tar.md5 and the sim unlock was still UNLOCKED!

So, I think we can safely say this sim unlock method is a permanent unlock! :good:

Mod Edit

In order to get this to work ,you need modem ME2... follow this :

Finally I managed to sim unlock my phone after 10 days of experiments

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-i9505 LTE with Android 4.4.2 bought from France (XEF):
    1. I rooted my phone using CF-Auto-Root
    2. I flashed with Odin the ME2 modem only (XXUAME2 for my case) using the CP/PHONE bouton - find the list in this thread
    3. I used RegionLock Away as described in this post

Thanks to all members of XDA

----------

Credits:
    royskeyz
    djembey
    artnada
    Hungary T-mobile Perfect!!THX

you're welcome... Enjoy your unlocked S4... a simple THANKS will do...
    Tested only on Samsung Galaxy I9505

Instructions:

1. Dial *#0011#

3. press the Menu again the tap KEY INPUT then enter 1, press OK button

4. press Menu then tap BACK

Tap [1]UMTS

then [1]DEBUG SCREEN

then [6]PHONE CONTROL

then [6]NETWORK LOCK

Go back to the UMTS MAIN MENU by pressing Menu then Back then tap [6]COMMON

then [6]NV REBUILD

then tap [4]RESTORE BACK UP

Credits:
    royskeyz
    djembey

hi

tried this on my I9505 locked to EE Uk - dosnt work :(
    Tried with MDM, MDF, and currently ME2. All still locked on Three UK.
    EDIT - IT WORKS!!!!!!!

This is what I did. Slightly different to OP.

I did this with my AUTHORISED Sim in first.

1. Dial *#0011#
    3. press the Menu again the tap KEY INPUT then enter 1, (wait a few seconds) it auto jumped into service menu.

4. press Menu then tap BACK (not needed for me)

Tap [1]UMTS (may auto go into next menu (mine did)

then [1]DEBUG SCREEN
    then [6]PHONE CONTROL
    then [6]NETWORK LOCK

Go back to the UMTS MAIN MENU by pressing Menu then Back (several times)

then tap [6]COMMON

then [6]NV REBUILD (if this does not work next time)

do [4]RESTORE BACK UP

Edit:

When I booted back in with AUTHORISED sim, I had to turn off Mobile Data, then turn it on.
    I then turned off the phone, put my UNAUTHORSIED Sim in, booted back up and NO NETWORK PIN request!

Again, I had to turn off Mobile data, then turn it back on. The UNAUTHORSIED Sim worked!!! :)

My previously locked to Three UK GT-I9505 is now unlocked to all networks :) Thanks again to XDA (Y)
    working on my o2 uk, i can use my three sim now, thanks

you're welcome... a simple THANKS will do...

should i have any sim inserted ? or without sim?

you can do it with an accepted sim inserted or you can try inserting a non accepted sim, when greeted with the ENTER UNLOCK PIN just press dismiss then follow the steps.