Guide: Get HDR SUPPORT on YouTube!

Search This thread

JhinCuatro

Mar 2, 2017
Since no one ever mentions HDR support for oneplus 5[T], I've decided to do a guide seeing that the display and snapdragon 835 is very well capable of displaying HDR. Mate 10 supports hdr with a very similar or even the same display. Please note this is limited to youtube, as i dont know any other way to have other apps think oneplus 5T support hdr. So here starts my steps.

1. Download the iYTBP app. If you're not rooted simply download the non rooted versions listed in the post links. https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum....tbp-injected-youtube-background-t3560900/amp/

2. You may need to install the corresponding microG apk to have the youtube app work correctly, so i recommend you install it.

3. In iYTBP app, click library, then go to settings. Go to iYTBP settings and click the about as many times as necessary. Then go to the codec override and click galaxy s8+ hardware hdr.

4. watch HDR content on YouTube! Lool at the hdr channel for good examples. make sure to load in 1080 hdr. you will have a green line on the side if not.

5. Enjoy ?. You can watch an hdr test sample for testing. on sdr mode the white space will just remain the same brightness, while hdr has that white space start dim and get a bright as the screen may allow it.

6. Compare vs other hdr capable devices. i have only compared to regular devices like iPhone 7, and what hdr content looks like normally (sdr) by switching back to my normal YouTube app. HDR on op5T looks phenomenal! wish i could do this on media players or Netflix if anyone here knows how to.

20mark

Nov 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
did not work. Override the coded with the samsung one but on the videos hdr playlist and i only get "normal" resolutions, no sign of "1080 hdr" or something like that. tried to swipe off youtube from recents too, still no-go.

mrcool007

Jan 13, 2010
Paris
Well, what I see is that there are lots glitches / artifacts when HDR in on, I've tested the 2 videos, on and off, and if you look closely in the background, you see the problem, when you switch it off, well, no problem anymore. I'm running stock OOS 4.7.2 with stock kernel

Manya1999

Oct 7, 2017
Since no one ever mentions HDR support for oneplus 5[T], I've decided to do a guide seeing that the display and snapdragon 835 is very well capable of displaying HDR. Mate 10 supports hdr with a very similar or even the same display. Please note this is limited to youtube, as i dont know any other way to have other apps think oneplus 5T support hdr. So here starts my steps.

1. Download the iYTBP app. If you're not rooted simply download the non rooted versions listed in the post links. https://www.google.com/amp/s/forum....tbp-injected-youtube-background-t3560900/amp/

2. You may need to install the corresponding microG apk to have the youtube app work correctly, so i recommend you install it.

3. In iYTBP app, click library, then go to settings. Go to iYTBP settings and click the about as many times as necessary. Then go to the codec override and click galaxy s8+ hardware hdr.

4. watch HDR content on YouTube! Lool at the hdr channel for good examples. make sure to load in 1080 hdr. you will have a green line on the side if not.

5. Enjoy . You can watch an hdr test sample for testing. on sdr mode the white space will just remain the same brightness, while hdr has that white space start dim and get a bright as the screen may allow it.

6. Compare vs other hdr capable devices. i have only compared to regular devices like iPhone 7, and what hdr content looks like normally (sdr) by switching back to my normal YouTube app. HDR on op5T looks phenomenal! wish i could do this on media players or Netflix if anyone here knows how to.
I tried this on a op5..I got a green line on side as you said.And when using hdr screen brightness automatically went high while playing video.But is my phone really playing hdr video?
I mean I can see a little difference in colours.Colours were bit cooler while playing hdr and more pleasing to eyes.Is this how it should work?
Update:I tried taking screenshots while playing video and I can see the difference in colours in even screenshots.
Is this normal?

Last edited:

benno4403

Apr 16, 2010
#
I also noticed the fact that it should be capable of playing HDR content (since it also has p3)

Display should be no problem and also supports playback with this Qualcomm CPU. I truly hope a smart developer will be able to make this work on apps like Netflix.

JhinCuatro

Mar 2, 2017
I tried this on a op5..I got a green line on side as you said.And when using hdr screen brightness automatically went high while playing video.But is my phone really playing hdr video?
I mean I can see a little difference in colours.Colours were bit cooler while playing hdr and more pleasing to eyes.Is this how it should work?
Update:I tried taking screenshots while playing video and I can see the difference in colours in even screenshots.
Is this normal?

Yeah brightness will go to max, but in hdr mode where colors aren't supposed to be bright they are dimmed. bright is bright dim is dim. Compare to Normal mode and colors only go as bright or dim that you set your brightness to! To see of its actually working give this video a try. https://youtu.be/NlAsAuBtmps. The white square should start dim then get as bright as possible up to a limit (4000 nits, don't expect displays to get this bright yet)

JhinCuatro

Mar 2, 2017
Well, what I see is that there are lots glitches / artifacts when HDR in on, I've tested the 2 videos, on and off, and if you look closely in the background, you see the problem, when you switch it off, well, no problem anymore. I'm running stock OOS 4.7.2 with stock kernel

Make sure video loads in 1080p HDR. Lower resolutions result in all those defects. after switching video to 1080 reload it to make sure its 1080 all the way.

JhinCuatro

Mar 2, 2017
did not work. Override the coded with the samsung one but on the videos hdr playlist and i only get "normal" resolutions, no sign of "1080 hdr" or something like that. tried to swipe off youtube from recents too, still no-go.
Videos must actually be in HDR to begin with so make sure you're watching actual hdr content (https://youtu.be/NlAsAuBtmps) this video will test hdr by making brightness of white pixels brighter and brighter up to a cap. also the Channel of that video has hdr content so give the ones that you'd like a try!

Reactions: gotshoaib

JhinCuatro

Mar 2, 2017
When I set Galaxy s8 codec, and then I watch a movie, no option in video of quality of HDR

Envoyé de mon ONEPLUS A5010 en utilisant Tapatalk

Video has to support hdr to begin with. start with the 4k hdr channel. youtube has yet to get more hdr video. some youtubers have some hdr video but not many.

samtab37

Jun 24, 2014
Jaulnay
Video has to support hdr to begin with. start with the 4k hdr channel. youtube has yet to get more hdr video. some youtubers have some hdr video but not many.
Yes of course, but it is precisely on his videos that I do not see anything

samtab37

Jun 24, 2014
Jaulnay
My example Screenshot_20171203-101817.jpgScreenshot_20171203-101913.jpgScreenshot_20171203-101907-01.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

5. Enjoy ?. You can watch an hdr test sample for testing. on sdr mode the white space will just remain the same brightness, while hdr has that white space start dim and get a bright as the screen may allow it.

Found this thread while googling to see if OP5T (which I just got today) supports HDR playback.

All this seems to be doing is just ramping up the brightness of the screen. Doesn't seem to provide proper HDR coverage since increasing only the brightness removes detail from the other end of the spectrum. There's also lots of clipping near the white point.

I've compared the HDR videos to my HDR TV (LG) and another phone (Galaxy S8+) which resolve a lot more detail in the scene in both bright and dark areas at the same time. This codec override also introduces lots of artifacts, specially on fast moving scenes like gameplay even at 1080p HDR (which also start stuttering) for some reason. While YouTube does offer you an HDR stream, it isn't being displayed correctly, and has errors and artifacts, so in my opinion, it's better to not have it enabled at all.
    Found this thread while googling to see if OP5T (which I just got today) supports HDR playback.

All this seems to be doing is just ramping up the brightness of the screen. Doesn't seem to provide proper HDR coverage since increasing only the brightness removes detail from the other end of the spectrum. There's also lots of clipping near the white point.

I've compared the HDR videos to my HDR TV (LG) and another phone (Galaxy S8+) which resolve a lot more detail in the scene in both bright and dark areas at the same time. This codec override also introduces lots of artifacts, specially on fast moving scenes like gameplay even at 1080p HDR (which also start stuttering) for some reason. While YouTube does offer you an HDR stream, it isn't being displayed correctly, and has errors and artifacts, so in my opinion, it's better to not have it enabled at all.

Yep. Just because it meets the brightness standard doesn't mean it's HDR compatible. To view "proper" hdr, you'd also need a 10/12-bit display as well being able to support and fully cover the BT2020 colorspace. afaik, the display on the op5t is 8bit and does not cover BT2020, so you're missing out on millions of colors. When you normally try watching an HDR video on a youtube, youtube will downscale the colors to 8bit/BT701 so the screen won't try displaying colors not supported by the hardware. When you force the display to show those colors, the picture becomes either washed out or over-saturated because the colors get crushed together.

tl;dr: just oversaturate your colors in your display settings. it'll have the same effect as using this but better compatibility/less effort.
    Videos must actually be in HDR to begin with so make sure you're watching actual hdr content (https://youtu.be/NlAsAuBtmps) this video will test hdr by making brightness of white pixels brighter and brighter up to a cap. also the Channel of that video has hdr content so give the ones that you'd like a try!
    When I set Galaxy s8 codec, and then I watch a movie, no option in video of quality of HDR

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone