[GUIDE] Get the most out of X4 Camera [24/06/2019]

Search This thread

uccollab

Dec 30, 2013
Carbonia
WARNING: I'VE TESTED THIS GUIDE ON STOCK FIRMWARE (OREO AND PIE) ONLY

Hey, just a moment before reading: did I help you? Then consider paying me a coffee or anything for my effort :) of course this isn't mandatory!

UPDATE: the reddit thread is dead! It will now only link to this guide since updating the same guide two times is pretty useless!

This is an expanded guide for all those people which want to reach the maximum camera quality on their X4.
Please note that this post is not intended to give advices on how to get the best shots on GCAM (but you can do it in comment or ask me, no prob!), but on how to get the best working GCAM possible setup! In other words I won't suggest parameters for HDR+ or Saturation, or custom libs etc...

FOA why you should choose Google Camera instead of the Motorola one? Well I think the following shots speak for themselves:

Cropped detail of an HDR shot:
Moto Camera HDR (taken with wide lens)

Google Camera HDR+ (taken with wide lens)

If you'd like to see more examples just look at this HQ album, you'll be amazed by the details.

Another field in which you can really apprecciate the potential of this camera is the selfie and portrait one. I will spare you from looking at my selfies (you can find one in the previous gallery), so just trust me, or do some googling!

What you need to do in order to use the GCAM on your X4 really depends on what you want to achieve:

1) GCAM 6.2.0.30 for normal lens
- Root needed: NO
- Unlocked Bootloader needed: NO

GCAM 6.2.0.30 adds Time-Lapse feature, and you can simply install it and it will run. There's a lot of ports avaiable, my suggestion goes to this one. Please remember that all the rights belong to Arnova, the original developer.
A couple of things must be tuned in order to get the best experience, so head up to the app settings and:
- on "About" check "advanced options"
- on HDR+ Options:
1) Disabled AWBGains Mod -> ON
2) RAW Format -> RAW10
3) Image Format -> YUV_420_888
4) GCAM wb Mode -> ON
Also, I suggest you to check the "Saturation adjustements" section, because this version really oversaturates photos. Try what levels are the best for you, in my case they were 1.0 - 1.0 for back camera and 1.1 - 1.3 for front camera.

2) GCAM 6.2.0.30 for wide lens
- Root needed: NOT NECESSARILY
- Unlocked Bootloader needed: YES

This is the 6.2.0.30 GCamera with Wide Lens support.
The apk is the same one

After the installation you must enter the package name (org.codeaurora.snapcam)inside the followind /system/build.prop lines:
1) vendor.camera.aux.packagelist
2) vendor.camera.aux.packagelist2
3) ro.camera.cfa.packagelist
You can do this either with a privileged file manager (i.e.: Solid) or with adb pull.
Then activate "Enable aux button" in Settings, and a little tree icon will pop up, allowing you to switch lens.
----------------------
FAQ:
Q: What works in these ports?
A: The following features are fully working:
- HDR +
- Portrait
- PhotoSphere
- Night Sight- Panoramic
- Video
- Slow Motion
- Pixel 2/3 AWB
- TimeLapse
- Motion

Q: What about AR?
A: I'm not interested in it and haven't checked, so I can't assure you that it will work

Q: 60fps videos aren't in 60fps?
A: You can shoot in 60fps by disabling video stabilization in Settings, otherwise 60fps videos will drops to nearly 28-30fps.

Q: Why does my selfie looks purple/green/any other ****ty color?
A: In that case just head over Input model in your port settings and change the front camera model (in my case to Nexus 6P with 6.1 and Pixel 3 for 6.2, but just try). This port also have specific fixes for certain titn problems

Q: I can't even start the camera!
A: this can happen on some devices. To fix try the following: long press on the app icon and use the "take a selfie" shortcut. Wait a moment and the camera should work, allowing you to use it in future just by opening it normally. If it is black even via the selfie shortcut long press the switch camera button, it should work. This procedure must he done only one time!

Q: The 6.2 ports gives me some weird greenish/yellowish balance in photos.
A: This is a problem with Pixel AWB. It reduces chromatic shifts to give you more natural photos, but it can ruin other ones. It usually happens when you are pointing an object which has an intense illumination behind it. If your port allows it just disable it, otherwise select from the viewfinder another White Balancement mode (Cloudy works best for my tastes). Pixel 2 AWB should be the best anyway, and I almost never encounter problems.

Q: Can't install the apk
A: Delete the old version before re-installing.

Last edited:

Organics

Oct 20, 2018
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hi there!
Anybody has any idea why gcam (MGC_6.1.021_MI8_V1a_xcam_0.apk) does not want to take any shots without HDR?? I remember gcam 5.1 working fine without HDR and the shutter speed was obvs way faster. So sometimes I want to take a fast shot and gcam 6.1 won't let me. I already tried changing the input model.
Thanks!

johnjingle

Jun 25, 2010
UPDATE: for those who want GCAM 6.1 with Night Sight I updated the suggested apk, with one that looks more stable (the old one used to crash rarely on my phone).

In case anyone had any trouble editing the build.prop remove the following space:

vendor.camera.aux.packagelist2=com.motorola.ccc,co(THIS SPACE)m.dual.GCam,com.motorola.camera2

I realized it while typing, but if you only copy and paste you might not.

Last edited:
Reactions: xLuis92x

sleze

Nov 6, 2007
With all these camera mods, is there anyway to verify the security of them? I don't think I have ever had problems with an XDA app but these are all hosted offsite.

munchy_cool

Apr 6, 2008
void (0)
I don't really check it, cause that's the official repo for the gcam ports, and all the developers (like Arnova etc..) are well known here.

I am on Moto Pie and using the gcam port from 2nd option. once I take a picture in night sight, I cannot take another picture till I force close the camera. Do you have the same issue as well?

xLuis92x

Jul 7, 2012
Mexico City
2) Open up the buid.prop file (located in /system/system/). You can either do this by an adb pull command (after booting a custom recovery like TWRP) or with a privileged file manager if you're rooted. In the build.prop you must add the following line (or edit it, if already present): vendor.camera.aux.packagelist2=com.motorola.ccc,com.dual.GCam,com.motorola.camera2

In case anyone had any trouble editing the build.prop remove the following space:

vendor.camera.aux.packagelist2=com.motorola.ccc,co(THIS SPACE)m.dual.GCam,com.motorola.camera2

I realized it while typing, but if you only copy and paste you might not.

Had to remove the space as well, Night Sight works wonders!

samshady7

Dec 13, 2018
Hi, just tried this out on my new moto x4 (The second one with night sight) and it works pretty smoothly. I was just wondering if there was a way to enable the actual front facing flash for selfies and not just brighten the screen up like it does on default (in the recommended app at least)

TeamRainless

Jun 19, 2011
ALL i want to do is have the stock camera default to manual mode... Or at least REMAIN in manual mode after I set it to that so I don't have to switch to manual every single time I start the camera app. The Auto settings on the stock camera are GARBAGE compared to my Moto X2 (2nd Gen).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WARNING: I'VE TESTED THIS GUIDE ON STOCK FIRMWARE (OREO AND PIE) ONLY

Hey, just a moment before reading: did I help you? Then consider paying me a coffee or anything for my effort :) of course this isn't mandatory!

UPDATE: the reddit thread is dead! It will now only link to this guide since updating the same guide two times is pretty useless!

This is an expanded guide for all those people which want to reach the maximum camera quality on their X4.
    Please note that this post is not intended to give advices on how to get the best shots on GCAM (but you can do it in comment or ask me, no prob!), but on how to get the best working GCAM possible setup! In other words I won't suggest parameters for HDR+ or Saturation, or custom libs etc...

FOA why you should choose Google Camera instead of the Motorola one? Well I think the following shots speak for themselves:

Cropped detail of an HDR shot:
    Moto Camera HDR (taken with wide lens)

Google Camera HDR+ (taken with wide lens)

If you'd like to see more examples just look at this HQ album, you'll be amazed by the details.

Another field in which you can really apprecciate the potential of this camera is the selfie and portrait one. I will spare you from looking at my selfies (you can find one in the previous gallery), so just trust me, or do some googling!

What you need to do in order to use the GCAM on your X4 really depends on what you want to achieve:

1) GCAM 6.2.0.30 for normal lens
    - Root needed: NO
    - Unlocked Bootloader needed: NO

GCAM 6.2.0.30 adds Time-Lapse feature, and you can simply install it and it will run. There's a lot of ports avaiable, my suggestion goes to this one. Please remember that all the rights belong to Arnova, the original developer.
    A couple of things must be tuned in order to get the best experience, so head up to the app settings and:
    - on "About" check "advanced options"
    - on HDR+ Options:
    1) Disabled AWBGains Mod -> ON
    2) RAW Format -> RAW10
    3) Image Format -> YUV_420_888
    4) GCAM wb Mode -> ON
    Also, I suggest you to check the "Saturation adjustements" section, because this version really oversaturates photos. Try what levels are the best for you, in my case they were 1.0 - 1.0 for back camera and 1.1 - 1.3 for front camera.

2) GCAM 6.2.0.30 for wide lens
    - Root needed: NOT NECESSARILY
    - Unlocked Bootloader needed: YES

This is the 6.2.0.30 GCamera with Wide Lens support.
    The apk is the same one

After the installation you must enter the package name (org.codeaurora.snapcam)inside the followind /system/build.prop lines:
    1) vendor.camera.aux.packagelist
    2) vendor.camera.aux.packagelist2
    3) ro.camera.cfa.packagelist
    You can do this either with a privileged file manager (i.e.: Solid) or with adb pull.
    Then activate "Enable aux button" in Settings, and a little tree icon will pop up, allowing you to switch lens.
    ----------------------
    FAQ:
    Q: What works in these ports?
    A: The following features are fully working:
    - HDR +
    - Portrait
    - PhotoSphere
    - Night Sight- Panoramic
    - Video
    - Slow Motion
    - Pixel 2/3 AWB
    - TimeLapse
    - Motion

Q: What about AR?
    A: I'm not interested in it and haven't checked, so I can't assure you that it will work

Q: 60fps videos aren't in 60fps?
    A: You can shoot in 60fps by disabling video stabilization in Settings, otherwise 60fps videos will drops to nearly 28-30fps.

Q: Why does my selfie looks purple/green/any other ****ty color?
    A: In that case just head over Input model in your port settings and change the front camera model (in my case to Nexus 6P with 6.1 and Pixel 3 for 6.2, but just try). This port also have specific fixes for certain titn problems

Q: I can't even start the camera!
    A: this can happen on some devices. To fix try the following: long press on the app icon and use the "take a selfie" shortcut. Wait a moment and the camera should work, allowing you to use it in future just by opening it normally. If it is black even via the selfie shortcut long press the switch camera button, it should work. This procedure must he done only one time!

Q: The 6.2 ports gives me some weird greenish/yellowish balance in photos.
    A: This is a problem with Pixel AWB. It reduces chromatic shifts to give you more natural photos, but it can ruin other ones. It usually happens when you are pointing an object which has an intense illumination behind it. If your port allows it just disable it, otherwise select from the viewfinder another White Balancement mode (Cloudy works best for my tastes). Pixel 2 AWB should be the best anyway, and I almost never encounter problems.

Q: Can't install the apk
    A: Delete the old version before re-installing.
    The guide has been updated. The new apk is faster, and doesn't require fixes for sabre. This means you can expect an higher degree of zoom in photos.
    UPDATE: for those who want GCAM 6.1 with Night Sight I updated the suggested apk, with one that looks more stable (the old one used to crash rarely on my phone).
    Was running the gcam provided by @munchy_cool https://youtu.be/FvyuSQciBms , installed the magisk zip and the apk and it was running great but no slomo even though it was set to 120fps,

Recently arnova released
    Arnova's Advanced v1.4
    It is a better gcam with both wide lens and slomo

Just uninstalled old apk and installed new one.
    Package name: org.codeaurora.snapcam

Suggest you guys check it out
    The guide has been updated! Enjoy 6.2.0.30 GCam with wide angle and time-lapse! (as always, if you have unlocked bootloader)