[GUIDE] Guide to unlock bootloader for every LG SDM845 except G710TM (With PHOTOS)

Search This thread

EmanuelCN

Mar 29, 2017
LG G7 ThinQ
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi, i would really appreciate some help here too

im stuck in the step 18

right now my phone is in fastboot mode just like it shows in this video in the second image

the step 18 says that after i type "fastboot flash frp" i should drag and drop the frp image over the cmd window, but when i do this nothing happens,

when i execute fastboot flash frp the only thing that shows is < waiting for any device >

am i doing something wrong?

edit

searching a bit i seems like a drive problem but i followed all the steps and installed the drivers and rebooted my pc, so i dont know what is the problem.

edit 2,

solved the driver problem, all i had to do was going to device manager, right click on android, update driver, and then add the android adb interface, now im stuck in the frp part, when i try to flash the frp, im getting the error

Sending 'frp' (2048 KB) FAILED (Status read failed (Too many links))

any idea of what is wrong here?

edit 3

i executed the command without the phone plugged on usb then it shows <waiting for any device>, when i plugged the phone on usb it just worked

Sending 'frp' (2048 KB) OKAY [ 0.057s]
Writing 'frp' OKAY [ 0.015s]
Finished. Total time: 0.078s

edit 4

when i runned fastboot oem unlock, the first thing that happned was

FAILED (remote: ' Set device unlocked! failed: 00000050')
fastboot: error: Command failed

but then when i try to run again

FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')

and now it says the device is unlocked,

FAILED (remote: ' Device already : unlocked!')

but on the screen its written DEVICE STATE - locked

is this really unlocked already??????????? because it didnt shows the message "erasing userdata ... "

when i execute fastboot oem device-info

(bootloader) Verity mode: true
(bootloader) Device unlocked: false
(bootloader) Device critical unlocked: false
(bootloader) Charger screen enabled: false
OKAY [ 0.005s]
Finished. Total time: 0.006s

i think that the real problem here is this message im having:
fastboot oem unlock

FAILED (remote: ' Set device unlocked! failed: 00000050')

still dont know how to solve it
Check the updated link in the guide and download FastbootFix.zip and follow the instructions in the README.txt.

Last edited:

EmanuelCN

Mar 29, 2017
LG G7 ThinQ
Xiaomi Poco F3
Hi
I have been trying to find a solution for my problem for 2 days now.
I am stuck in step number 18.
When I try to flash frp image nothing happens. No error nothing. Windows PowerShell just stays still with the line blinking.
I am in the fastboot mode.
I am using a usb 2.0 to connect.
I have tried different usb ports nothing changes.
I even bought a dongle so I can try different usb ports still the same issue.
When I search for my phone in fastboot devices I can see my phone clearly.
But when I give the command to write the flash the image nothing happens.
I have tried waiting for hours nothing happened.
When I use the command fastboot oem unlock it restarts my phone and powershell gives the error "failed (command write failed (too many links))
to my understanding this happens because I couldn't flash the frp image.
After trying different things for hours I happened to get a different answer.
When I type fastboot flash frp and I press start on the fastboot menu on my phone powershell says flashing "frp" but because I pressed start the connection drops, this happens not everytime sometimes
I have tried spamming the command for hours still nothing changes can't start flashing for some reason.
I would appreciate if anyone could help
Have a nice day
Check the updated link in the guide and download FastbootFix.zip and follow the instructions in the README.txt.

Last edited:

halojack

Jul 20, 2013
Guide for unlocking the bootloader for every LG G7 ThinQ except G710TM :

IMPORTANT: NEVER ERASE THE ENTIRE FLASH (IT WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE **STILL CAN BE RECOVERED**)
IMPORTANT: FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS IN ORDER TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER SUCCSSEFULLY;
DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE BRICKS! YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AND ITS YOUR CHOICE TO DO IT OR NOT TO DO IT AND YOU'RE THE ONE DOING IT. I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS OUT.

Requirements:
- Windows PC/Laptop;
- USB-C cable;
- Patience;
- Unlock LG G7 ThinQ;

STEPS:

MAKE SURE THAT EACH STEP IS FOLLOWED IN ORDER NOT TO DAMAGE YOUR PHONE
1. Download UnlockG7.zip and extract it.
2. Install 9008 usb driver and QPST.
3. Reboot the pc.
4. Turn on usb debugging in developer options.
5. Boot the phone in edl mode:
I) Connect the phone to the PC;
II) Hold VOL- and Power;
III) As soon as the screen turns black repeatedly press VOL+ while holding VOL-& Power.

Video tutorial:

6. On the windows PC go to device manager ---> Ports and it should say Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM x) or "QUSB_BULK_CID: xxxx_SN: xxxxxxxx";
aMxsEBT.png

7. Setting up QFIL:
I) Run QFIL;
II) Set Build Type to Flat Build;
III) Programmer path: select the file "prog_ufs_firehose_Sdm845_lge.elf" inside the extracted UnlockG7.zip;
IV) At the bottom right corner change device type to "UFS".

JdO1AuC.gif

8. QFIL should recognize the port of your phone, if not press on "SelectPort..." and select your phone's port;
4DrGYV5.gif

9. Press on "Tools" and then press on "Partition Manager";
OlUOEEJ.gif

10. A new window should show on your screen with every partition on your phone. If you get sahara error, you should make sure you installed the 9008 mode drivers right or reboot your pc, reboot your phone from edl mode by holding volume - and power button for 10-30 seconds, then getting back to edl mode (step 5);
11. Search the partition called "abl_a" right click on it and press "Manage Partition Data" then press on "Read Data" (this will backup your current partition) then press on "Load image" and load the V35abl.img from UnlockG7 folder.
12. Press win + R and run %appdata% , navigate to Qualcomm --> Qfil --> COM_X (X --> the port that your phone was connected at (step6) and you will have a file named readata...... .bin rename it to Abl_abackup.bin;
13. Redo step 11 & step 12 but instead abl_a repeat the process with abl_b;

STEP 14 & 15 ARE NOT NEEDED IF YOUR LG G7 MODEL ITS EM OR EMW
14. Search laf_a partition right click on it and press "Manage Paritition Data" then press on "Read Data" (to backup it), follow (step 12) again but name the file called readata... to laf_abackup.bin then you press on erase. (NOT "ERARSE ENTIRE FLASH") ;
15. Follow (step 14) but instead laf_a repeat the process with laf_b;

16. Force reboot the phone (Hold volume - and power button for 8s) and immediately hold only volume + (For EMW AND EM its volume -), it should get you in fastboot mode. (If it didn't work try again);
17. Download & extract "fastboot driver.zip" and follow the instructions inside the README.txt;
18. Download & extract "FixFastboot.zip" and follow the instructions inside the README.txt;
19. Download & extract "fastboot-tools.zip";
20. Open the CMD inside the extracted fastboot-tools.zip and type: fastboot flash frp (drag and drop over the cmd the frp.img), it should say OKAY.
21. Press volume + until you see on your phone's screen "reboot to bootloader" then press power button and wait for it to reboot back in fastboot (bootloader);
22. Type in the CMD: fastboot oem unlock . It should say "erasing userdata....";
23. Once its done go back in EDL(9008) mode and restore your backups, go in partition manager in Qfil and use Load image using the backup for partitions you have backuped in step 11,12,13,14 (For EM and EMW model only from step 11 and 12);
24. Force reboot your phone (Hold volume - and power button for 8s) then immediately hold volume + only, it should get you in download mode;
25. Download & extract "How to flash KDZ Firmware.zip" and follow the instructions in README.txt;
26. Congratulations! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device.

lost fastboot after unlock bootloader ! help me !
I can't install twrp !

EmanuelCN

Mar 29, 2017
LG G7 ThinQ
Xiaomi Poco F3
lost fastboot after unlock bootloader ! help me !
I can't install twrp !
You didn't lose it, you didn't even have it to begin with, thats why you flash v35 abl, abl being the bootloader which is fastboot. Only EM & EMW have fastboot by default. Other models have to wipe laf_a and laf_b partitions (NEVER WIPE THE ENTIRE FLASH), but laf partition is download mode so you can only have one at a time, you either erase laf partitions and you have fastboot, if you restore them you have download mode back. You also get in fastboot by using download mode combination after erasing laf partitions in qfil.

Oct 16, 2017
Having a problem. When installing the 9008 USB driver I get two options.
1) WWAN-DHCP is not used to get IPAddress
2) ETHERNET-DHCP is used to get IPAddress

Which one do I choose?

I tried both and Device Manager under Ports says: 'LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COM5)'
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
Also, QFIL won't detect any ports, when I try to select the port manually and proceed to open the partition manager it doesn't open, I see a Fail to something something, not shara failed. So its related to this buggy USB 9008 driver. My device manager doesn't show any QLoader or QFIL either.
I have my phone in download mode, which I can only achieve by holding vol+ and plugging in the USB cable when its powered off. I hate this damn piece of junk!

Last edited:

Crasshbat

Apr 3, 2019
LG G7 ThinQ
I tried both and Device Manager under Ports says: 'LGE AndroidNet USB Serial Port (COM5)'
Not sure what I'm doing wrong here.
I think this message means the PC can see the phone but it's not in EDL mode. If you reboot to EDL mode you'll see the phone in the Ports list under Qualcomm HS-USB... etc.

Also, QFIL won't detect any ports, when I try to select the port manually and proceed to open the partition manager it doesn't open, I see a Fail to something something, not shara failed. So its related to this buggy USB 9008 driver. My device manager doesn't show any QLoader or QFIL either.
I have my phone in download mode, which I can only achieve by holding vol+ and plugging in the USB cable when its powered off. I hate this damn piece of junk!
Yes you can't select the port in QFIL until the phone's in EDL mode, it's different to download mode. From the guide:

II) Hold VOL- and Power;
III) As soon as the screen turns black repeatedly press VOL+ while holding VOL- & Power button.

Oct 16, 2017
I think this message means the PC can see the phone but it's not in EDL mode. If you reboot to EDL mode you'll see the phone in the Ports list under Qualcomm HS-USB... etc.

Yes you can't select the port in QFIL until the phone's in EDL mode, it's different to download mode. From the guide:

II) Hold VOL- and Power;
III) As soon as the screen turns black repeatedly press VOL+ while holding VOL- & Power button.
Thanks that worked, I thought "download mode" and "EDL" were the same. Man who knew I needed to completely hack this model, what's the deal with this model in particular? Why so challenging to get it modded when other models its very easy?

Last edited:

twinsrule90

Aug 18, 2016
So I got to the final step of the process and installed the kdz file for my model and now my phone is stuck in a boot loop. Is there any way that I can fix this?

twinsrule90

Aug 18, 2016
I didn't use that option, I used Partition DL(which is crossflash) and select all partitions checkbox in the dialogue, and I also used Refurbished. Upgrade option retains your apps so maybe that affects you different.
So you ran the partition dl first and then ran refurbished after? Did you use the same kdz file for both options?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    IMPORTANT: NEVER PRESS ON "ERASE ENTIRE FLASH" (IT WILL BRICK YOUR PHONE);
    IMPORTANT: FOLLOW ALL THE STEPS IN ORDER TO UNLOCK BOOTLOADER SUCCSSEFULLY;
    DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOUR PHONE BRICKS! YOU ARE FOLLOWING THIS GUIDE AND ITS YOUR CHOICE TO DO IT OR NOT TO DO IT AND YOU'RE THE ONE DOING IT. I JUST WANT TO HELP OTHERS OUT.

G710TM: This model has a different SDM845 which the firehose in the guide does not work on. Currently there is no firehose available for it.

Requirements:
    - Windows PC/Laptop;
    - USB-C cable;
    - Patience;
    - Unlock LG SDM845;
    - NEVER PRESS ON "ERASE ENTIRE FLASH".

STEPS:

MAKE SURE THAT EACH STEP IS FOLLOWED IN ORDER NOT TO DAMAGE YOUR PHONE. NEVER PRESS ON "ERASE ENTIRE FLASH"
    You can unlock the bootloader on any firmware.
    1. Download Unlock.zip and extract it;
    2. Install 9008 USB Driver;
    3. Install QPST.2.7.496.1.exe;
    4. Reboot the pc;
    5. Turn on usb debugging in developer options;
    6. Boot the phone in edl mode:
    II) Hold VOL- and Power;

Video tutorial:
    7. On the windows PC go to device manager ---> Ports and it should say Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 (COM x) or "QUSB_BULK_CID: xxxx_SN: xxxxxxxx";
    aMxsEBT.png

9. Setting up QFIL:
    I) Run QFIL;
    II) Set Build Type to Flat Build;
    III) Programmer path: select the file "prog_ufs_firehose_Sdm845_lge.elf" inside the extracted UnlockG7.zip;
    IV) At the bottom right corner change device type to "UFS".

JdO1AuC.gif

8. QFIL should recognize the port of your phone, if not press on "SelectPort..." and select your phone's port;
    4DrGYV5.gif

10. Press on "Tools" and then press on "Partition Manager";
    OlUOEEJ.gif

11. A new window should show on your screen with every partition on your phone. If you get sahara error, you should make sure you installed the 9008 mode drivers right or reboot your pc, reboot your phone from edl mode by holding volume - and power button for 10-30 seconds, then getting back to edl mode (step 6);
    12. Search the partition called "abl_a" right click on it and press "Manage Partition Data" then press on "Read Data" (this will backup your current partition) then press on "Load image" and load the V35abl.img from Unlock folder;
    13. Press win + R and run %appdata% , navigate to Qualcomm --> Qfil --> COM_X (the port that your phone was connected to in the step 7). In this directory you will find a .bin file called readata... rename it to Abl_abackup.bin;
    14. Redo step 12 & step 13 but instead of abl_a do it with abl_b;

STEP 15 & 16 (NOT REQUIRED ON LG G7 EM/EMW/EAW.)
    15. Search laf_a partition right click on it and press "Manage Paritition Data" then press on "Read Data" (to backup it), follow (step 13) again but name the file called readata... to laf_abackup.bin then you press on erase. (NOT "ERASE ENTIRE FLASH");
    16. Follow (step 15) but instead laf_a repeat the process with laf_b; (DO NOT PRESS "ERASE ENTIRE FLASH")

17. After you are done press on save partition file then close;
    18. Force reboot the phone (Hold volume - and power button for 8s) and immediately hold only volume + (For EM, EMW & EAW its volume -), it should get you in fastboot mode. (If it didn't work try again);
    19. Download & extract "fastboot driver.zip" and follow the instructions inside the README.txt;
    20. Download & extract "FixFastboot.zip" and follow the instructions inside the README.txt;
    21. Download & extract "fastboot-tools.zip";
    22. Open the CMD inside the extracted fastboot-tools.zip and type: fastboot flash frp (drag and drop over the cmd the frp.img), it should say OKAY (frp.img is located in Unlock LG SDM845.zip);
    23. Press volume + until you see on your phone's screen "reboot to bootloader" then press power button and wait for it to reboot back in fastboot (bootloader);
    24. Type in the CMD: fastboot oem unlock . It should say "erasing userdata...." and wait until its done;
    25. Move the backups you have done in steps 12,13,14,15 (For EM,EMW & EAW models only from step 12 and 13) on desktop;
    26. Go back in EDL(9008) mode, open qfil -----> press on "tools" -----> press on partition manager ----> search abl_a ----> right click on it ---> load the abl_abackup.bin located on desktop. Repeat the process with abl_b(abl_bBackup.bin), laf_a(laf_abackup.bin), laf_b(laf_bBackup.bin). (EM, EMW & EAW models have to restore only abl_a & abl_b). After you are done press on save partition file then close;
    27. Get back in fastboot (redo step 18), unplug the phone and press volume up until you see "power off" on your screen and then press power button, your phone should be off;
    28. Hold volume + and plug the phone back to the computer, you should enter in download mode;
    29. Download & extract "How to flash KDZ Firmware.zip" and follow the instructions in README.txt.

Congratulations! You have successfully unlocked the bootloader of your device.
    Nevermind, I did it!

(I really don't understand step 20 "20. Open the CMD inside the extracted fastboot-tools.zip and type: fastboot flash frp (drag and drop over the cmd the frp.img), it should say OKAY."

I don't know what I have to do exactly. I open the cmd link in the platform-tools folder and I write "fastboot flash frp", but it says

"
    unknown partition 'frp'
    fastboot: error: cannot determine image filename for 'frp'
    ")
    Because you didnt drag the frp image over the cmd so it introduces the path, it cant flash something that its not specified, when you drag the file over the cmd with your cursor it will automatly put the path for you.
    Computers, love em and hate em! I don't have a different computer as an option, however I did dock my laptop which interfaces via different physical ports than my on board usb. From PS/CMD, I used fastboot reboot bootloader, to which my G7 rebooted directly into fastboot. Then fastboot oem unlock and tada! Computer showed erasing, phone showed unlocked for device state (it actually read: device state - lockedunlocked).

I was not actually ready for this to work, lol. I gotta get reading again!!!

Will report back, and hope we can help some others work through this!
    Welcome... Very good progress. Even i sat and backed up my complete partitions tediously.

Anyways, Doesnt that error mean your phone is already unlocked? Check in developer options if it is unlocked.

If not unlocked, make sure you are making changes after cross flashing to an android 8 rom. Refer images in v40 guide linked inside verizon guide, to see how the bootloader should look if successfully flashed.

That happens because you didnt check OEM Unlock in developer options because of that flassh the FRP image provided in guide i updated the guide so check now
    My g7 is the sprint G710PM and currently it wont start. is it possible to unlock bootloader still and fix, or do i have to wait for LG's G710PM .kdz?
    ive tried a LOT of things to fix it but nothing has worked and probably did more harm than good, though i can still put it into 9008 mode for qfil. though i get RED case when booting to fastboot which wont allow a fastboot flash connection