[GUIDE][HAVE A LOOK] DONT KNOW SOMETHING? Check here first!

Search This thread

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
If you got ANY questions? Feel free to ask here..
[HELP THREAD]Any Questions? Anyone Can Ask here [GT-5360/5510/5512/6102]

VERY LENGTHY THREAD?? Difficult to read in app? Yes I know friends!! That's why added hide/spoiler button to each post & link to first post in every posts end

Hi, Everyone, This is a GUIDE to NEW / EXISTING users.. There are guides below for advanced users too.. So i have shared my experience at XDA with you all to make others understand and help each other.
If you want to know something/ want me to include a topic here, please PM me.. I will see if i can help with that and write about it.

Hopefully this will help many of you, Now READ ON.. Click On "SHOW CONTENT" Button to See the content on each posts below!

DIFFICULTY LEVELS: It tells you how much difficult it is for you to do the task described below. See the headings of guides in every post to see difficulty of that task.

* --> Very Easy
** --> Easy
*** --> Moderate
**** --> Difficult
***** --> Very Difficult​
INDEX OF THIS THREAD:

Abbreviations/Acronyms used in XDA (Android language) [SEE 2ND POST]

* Simple methods to get LOGCAT, DMESG [SEE 3RD POST]

* CWM MD5SUM mismatch error while restoring? Solution for this: [SEE 4TH POST]

* How to use SDCARD instead of internal storage for apps[LINK2SD] [SEE 5TH POST]

* Detailed steps to install Stock rom/Firmware through ODIN [SEE 6TH POST]

* ROM installations instructions [IN GENERAL] [SEE 7TH POST]

* Kernel installations instructions [IN GENERAL] [SEE 8TH POST]

* How to deodex a stock rom in easy way using DSIXDA Kitchen [SEE 9TH POST]

* USEFUL LINKS TO THREADS/GUIDES SECTION [SEE 11TH POST/1ST POST OF 2ND PAGE]​

MISCELLANEOUS: [SEE 10TH POST]
* Thread Title tags confusing? Its explained here!

* Why give "Thanks"? Thanks meter explained!

* Stars, User Titles: Junior, Member, Senior Member........? Read to know more!

* XDA/TAPATALK app image uploading problems??

* Make your Thread/Post Aligned(Neat) by using BBCODE TAGS

* Battery Drain?? Read these tips to avoid it.

* Enable Whatsapp *AUTO DOWNLOAD IMAGE OPTION* in new versions [TRICK]​

PLANNED GUIDES ARE:[12th POST]
How to make a kernel--Writing in progress

How to get 10 without spamming / complaining!!
How to modify apps background,looks etc.

CREDITS :
  • To all my friends and xda members who gave me info to learn about these things.
  • To anmolsharma1293, deathnotice01, jaison thomas, kidcarter93, lavadepa, MNgez, nikufellow, tjsgy, wcypierre who gave suggestions and info and tips to improve this guide.
  • To The-Captain our moderator for helping us to improve ourselves, learn more and being kind to new users too.

Credits are added to respective people in the posts related to them whenever i have taken info / used their work[if not done, i will do it soon]. Informations obtained from other threads have been added in the posts related to it and i have done it with the permission of the thread OP. If i have forgotten someone's name please do let me know, and i will add it ASAP..

And please tell me any suggestions to improve this guide to help newbies/noobs as this guide should help all of us to get better at things we can do with an android. PLEASE REPORT ME ANY MISTAKES IF I HAVE MADE IN WRITING THE GUIDE/ IF THERE IS A WRONG INFORMATION.. I WILL CORRECT IT ASAP..

If i missed anyones credit, please forgive me and let me know.. and i will add it as soon as i can, promise!
Thank you.

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Abbreviations/Acronyms used in XDA (Android language)

The reason for this guide is that many new users would have difficulty to understand what are these short forms.. everyone says cwm, rom, cm, etc.. but no one says what it is.. and you may feel a bit shy/embarrassed to ask them what it is. So here is my attempt to cover them..

Please do let me know in PM if some words are missing and you want them to be covered.. i will gladly add them, thank you.
This Post is an inspiration from mrhaley30705's thread & Diablo67 thread.

Use CTRL+F to find a specific term.Difficulty --> *

XDA RELATED ACRONYMS

DEV: Developer
ERD: Elite Recognized Developer
FM/FSM: Forum Moderator/Forum Specific Moderator
RC: Recognized Contributor
RD: Recognized Developer
RT: Recognized Themer
SM: Senior Moderator

GENERAL
AFAIK: As Far As I Know

ATM - At the moment

BTDT - Been there done that

CRACK: The password / product key / license key illegally used for unauthorized usage are known as a crack of the software . Also please read the warning posted at warez meaning below. The same applies to cracks

ETA - Estimated time of arrival.. Note: Asking ETA in dev section is a big NO NO..!!

FTFY: Fixed that for you

FTW - For the win

FWIW: For what it's worth

FYI: For Your Information

IBTL/IB4L - In before the lock / In Before Lock

IDK: I Dont Know (Thats what it means and i am not saying i dont know about IDK!!)

IIRC - If I recall / remember correctly

IRC - Internet Relay Chat

LOL - Laugh out loud

NEWBIE: Someone who is new to this field/ forum and wants to learn how to do it rather than say "NOT WORKING! FIX IT!".

NOOB: Someone who is new and doesn't want to learn "HOW" its done, just want to "USE" the end product. So, please guys dont be a noob, be a newbie!

OP: Short for Original Poster, or the person who originally started the thread.

OT - Off Topic

PM: Short for Private Message. Allows users of XDA to send and receive non-public messages. Accessed from USER CP.

P.S: stands for Post Script. It is used when u wrote a message on a postcard and u forgot to mention an important information.*

ROFL - Roll on floor laughing

RTL: Right To Left support (In Some languages you have to start reading from right and end towards left side.. as against to usual method of reading from left to right)

SMH: Shake my head

STH: Something

TBH: To Be Honest

TIA: Thanks In Advance

THREAD: An individual issue page on the forum. This thing you're reading is a thread.

TLDR: Too long to read

TM: stands for Trademark.

USER CP: Short for User Control Panel. This button near the top of the XDA page allows users to update their avatar, personal information, and signature. PMs and subscribed threads can also be checked in this location.

WARES/WAREZ: Warez refers primarily to copyrighted works distributed without fees or royalties, and may be traded, in general violation of copyright law. To make it simple, it is any app/software which has to be paid to use them, but are used without paying any money.. PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT TOLERATED AT XDA. SO PLEASE DONT POST WARES ANYWHERE ON XDA FORUMS. YOU WILL GET BANS/INFRACTIONS IF YOU DO SO!

ANDROID DEVICE RELATED:
ADB: Android Debug Bridge, a utility to run on a PC to allow connection to and control of an Android device. Part of the Android Software Development Kit (SDK), it allows for ROOT-level access to the Android device from a computer.

AOSP: Short for Android Open Source Project. The open-sourced code from which individuals can build new distributions of Android.

APK: An Android executable file, similar to the .exe file in Windows. Most programs will install with a .apk file.

Apps2SD:A method of storing applications and cache on the device's microSD card.

Bloatware: Software or 'apps' that you don't need, but come preinstalled to a device's /system partition, meaning that you cannot remove them unless the device has been rooted

Boot Animation: Boot animation is a term for a graphical representation of the boot process of the operating system. After you switch on / reboot phone you see this.

BOOTLOADER: There are two of these; the primary and secondary bootloaders. These programs tell the Android device how to start up, and are critical to its functionality.

Bootloop: When your system recycles over and over without entering the main OS.

BRICK/(HARD BRICK): An Android device that is completely non-responsive, i.e. nothing lights up, the screen does nothing, no combination of button presses cause any reaction. Can only be restored by JTAG or warranty service.

BUILD.PROP: A plain text file which contains environmental variables for the system to use during operation. Can be hacked to fake a different model for increased functionality, among many other operations. It is also used to make tweaks to boost speed/performance, etc.

BUSYBOX: An application that contains many standard Unix tools.

BUTTON COMBO/THREE BUTTON COMBO: The act of pressing several buttons at the same time to produce a desired result (e.g. press and hold volume up+home button+power button for 10 seconds will reboot into the RECOVERY menu at any movement when phone is on or Press and hold volume down+power button+home button to get into ODIN mode/DOWNLOAD mode).

Cache:A component that transparently stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster.

CM: Short for CyanogenMod. CyanogenMod is an Android build built from the Android Open Source Project, and its builds are usable on multiple different Android Devices.

CPU: It stands for Central Processing Unit and handles all the complex mathematical formulas necessary to do everyday things like surfing the Internet.

CSC - File with Carrier Customizations

Custom bin counter: A line of code in several Samsung Galaxy devices' bootloaders that counts the number of times a user uses ODIN to flash ROMS/KERNELS to the device. Commonly used to detect software modification. This is called custom bin down in ODIN mode and it should be 0 to claim warranty. Can be reset with GALAXY TOOLBOX APP by Doky73

Custom: Independent developers who like to customize their devices beyond the standard options provided often tend to release the fruits of their labor for the rest to enjoy, in form of custom ROMs.

CWM: Short for ClockWorkMod Recovery Menu. This is a program that allows you to install custom ROMS/KERNELS as well as do many other customizations. Often referred to as the "RECOVERY MENU"/"CWM"

DALVIK CACHE: The collection of program information stored for use by the DALVIK program. This can be cleared from the RECOVERY menu to resolve issues with the Android OS.

DALVIK: The Android operating system's memory management tool. This program handles which other programs are running and assigns memory to them

DEODEXED: Removing the .odex files from an APK file. The .odex files contain a list of dependencies for the associated file, and if something changes, the .odex (and similarly, the associated file) not longer function correctly.

DMESG: dmesg (for "display message") is a command on some Unix-like operating systems that prints the message buffer of the kernel..

DOWNLOAD MODE: Read Button combo to know about this.

EFS: The directory /efs on the Android device's internal storage. Contains files with the Android device's IMEI, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code, and other information..

EMMC: Short for Embedded MultiMediaCard. A chip architecture consisting of an embedded storage solution with MMC interface, flash memory and controller, all in a small ball grid array package.

EXT4: A journaling file system (e.g. NTFS, FAT32 are file systems) often used by Linux distributions. Can be used with Android.

EXTERNAL SD: A micro SD card that has been inserted in the micro SD slot in the Android device. Can be removed.

FACTORY RESET: This will remove all user customizations in the Android OS, returning it to a factory state. Note: This will not wipe the Internal SD card. It will just make it as a phone just bought from the store state.

FC/FORCE CLOSE: When a program on the Android device becomes unstable/gets an error, the DALVIK program will force it to terminate to prevent further system instability which appears as a Force Close message usually in phone.

FLASHING: The act of writing code to the Android device. ROMs, MODEMs, KERNELs, and BOOTLOADERs can all be flashed. Independent from, and having nothing to do with, Adobe's Flash product.

FREEZE: Specific to LINK2SD/TITANIUM BACKUP. Using these 2 apps, the user changes a program into a non-functional, but still installed, state. Useful for identifying problem and FCs.

gapps - Google Applications, like GMail, Calendar, Maps, G+, etc

GB - Gingerbread, AKA Android OS 2.3.X

GOVERNOR: A program that interacts with the device hardware to increase or decrease the processor's clock speed (e.g. at low usage, it will set the processor speed to 400 MHz, but as usage increases, it would scale up to 1000 MHz).

HSUPA/HSDPA: Short for High Speed (Up/Down) Packet Access. This is 3G+, and is the Android device's internet speed level between 3G and 4G.

ICS: Short for Ice Cream Sandwich, the Android OS version 4.0.x.

IMEI: Short for International Mobile Equipment Identity. A unique number to identify GSM, WCDMA, and iDEN phones. Used by GSM networks to identify valid devices.

INTERNAL SD: The internal storage memory of the Android device. Not a physical SD card that can be removed.

JB: Short for Jelly Bean, the Android OS version 4.1.x.

JIG: A piece of hardware that makes a physical connection between pins of the USB slot to force the Android device into DOWNLOAD mode.

JTAG: A process of connecting directly to the main board of the Android device to rewrite corrupted BOOTLOADERS.

KERNEL: The kernel is a program that constitutes the central core of a computer operating system. It has complete control over everything that occurs in the system.

LAST_KMESG: last_kmsg is a dump of the printk statements from the kernel before the operating system itself crashed.
LAUNCHER: A program that launches programs in Android. Examples are Touchwiz (Samsung), HOLO Launcher, Launcher Pro, ADW Launcher, and Go Launcher EX.

LCD Density: Pixel density is a measurement of the resolution of devices in various contexts; typically computer displays, image scanners, and digital camera image sensors.

LOGCAT: A command to view messages in one of the system logs. See Android logger.

LTE: Stands for Long Term Evolution. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements.

MAI77 method: Its only known here. So dont say this out of SGY forum. This is a method to flash kernel through CWM using Kernel flasher tool made by MAI77. Its basically you have kernel flasher tool and boot.img file in SDCARD root and you select kernel flasher tool in CWM and it will install boot.img file which is the kernel you selected.

MD5 CHECKSUM: A 32-digit (128-bit) hash number generated by a cryptographic program to ensure that a downloaded file matches the original file. The original file is run through the MD5 generator program, which creates the 32-bit number. This number is checked against the md5 number created with the file the end user receives to ensure file integrity.

MIUI: A Chinese built-from-source ROM. Short for "Mobile Internet User Interface". Also can refer to the MIUI music player, which has been included in other ROMs.

Mod: The act of modifying a piece of hardware or software or anything else for that matter, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer.

MODEM: The software that interfaces with the phone's radio hardware to connect to cell phone towers.

NANDROID BACKUP: A complete system image backup of the Android device except for the MODEM and KERNEL. Can be accessed from CWM.

ODEX: A file that is associated with an APK file, containing a list of the dependencies for the program. See also DEODEXED.

ODIN: A Samsung proprietary program that allows the Android device to be flashed back to stock or with custom software.

OVERCLOCKING/OC: Setting the processor's clock speed to run faster than its default setting, i.e. 1248 MHz (1.2 GHz) vs 832 MHz (Default)

OTA - Over-the-Air (usually used as "OTA update" for firmware updates that can be installed directly via 3G/4G/Wi-Fi without the need of an PC)

PIT FILE: Short for Partition Information Table file. One of the possible file types used while flashing with ODIN or HEIMDALL.

Port: To Take a rom or app from one phone and program it to work on a different one.

Ram: (Random Access Memory) A group of memory chips, typically of the dynamic RAM (DRAM) type, which function as the computer's primary workspace.

RECOVERY: The menu that allows a user to do many low-level operations on the Android Device. This menu can either be the stock Samsung menu, or the CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY MENU (CWM). See also CWM.

RFS: A Samsung-proprietary file system (e.g. NTFS, FAT32 are file systems) used on some Android devices. Stands for Robust File System.

RIL - Radio Interface Layer

ROM: The collection of programs, themes, and settings that create the general look-and-feel of your Android device. This is what most users will initially be wanting to change. Or custom ROM firmware file, Can also refer to a Read-only memory.

ROOT: Changing the permission level of the Android system to its most powerful level, the root user, allowing full access to the file system. More like Administrator permission in Windows OS.

SGY /SGYD /SGYP /SGYPD : Samsung Galaxy Y / Samsung Galaxy Y Duos / Samsung Galaxy Y Pro/ Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos

Sideloading: It means installing applications without using the official Android Market.

SOFT BRICK: A device that is not functioning correctly, but still shows some signs of operation. See also BRICK.

STOCK: The Android software version that comes installed on new devices, prior to sale to the user. Can also be used to refer to the Android software issued from Samsung or the carrier.

Superuser/SU: On many computer operating systems, the superuser is a special user account used for system administration. Depending on the operating system, the actual name of this account might be: root, administrator or supervisor.

TETHER: Connecting the Android device to a computer via a wired or wireless connection to allow the transfer of data through the Android device's internet connection. Commonly used to provide internet access to a laptop or desktop computer when other methods are not desired or available.

THEME: A collection of images, backgrounds, colors, font types, and other visual items to change the Android device's look and feel. Separate from LAUNCHER, and is usually FLASHed in CWM.

TWRP2 - an alternate recovery mode for your phone

UNDERVOLTING/UV: Setting the voltage levels drawn by the Android device to a lower level to reduce overall battery usage.

Updater Script: When Android devices install updates via CWM/recovery mode they have to perform a wide range of functions on files and permissions. The scripting language is called Edify and is defined primarily in the bootable/recovery/{edify,edifyscripting,updater} directories of the Android source-code tree.

WCDMA: Short for Wideband Code Division Multiple Access. An air interface standard in 3G mobile communications networks that allows higher speeds and more users.

ZIPALIGNED: An archive alignment tool that provides important optimization to APK files. The purpose is to ensure that all uncompressed data starts with a particular alignment relative to the start of the file. Reduces RAM consumption.

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Simple methods to get LOGCAT, DMESG

Devs asking you to get a logcat and give?? Yes it helps a lot for devs if you give logcat to solve problem. So dont wait till devs ask you to get a logcat! Just give them a logcat when you tell them this/that doesnt work. This way theirs and yours time will be saved and unnecessary posts will be avoided. Now i will give you simple steps to do it. There are two main ways to do a logcat, 1. within android device, and 2. through adb using PC.​
WITHIN ANDROID DEVICE METHOD:

This i learnt from paxChristos from his thread.
  • 1. Logcat within android device can be done in one of two ways, through a Logcat app: Difficulty --> *
    Here are two good apps: aLogcat or Catlog
    Both of these programs can dump their logs to a text file, which is very useful for debugging. Or, you can do it in terminal emulator (same rules as running through adb(see below))

• 2. Through Terminal method: Difficulty --> **
  • Install Android Terminal Emulator app from Play Store..
  • Open terminal app you just installed..
  • Enter these commands:
  • After every command press ENTER/SUBMIT button
    Code:
    su
  • then accept the superuser popup message[it comes only first time if you select checkbox "remember the choice"]
    Code:
    logcat -v long > /sdcard/test.log
    Or use this command:

The -v long puts the text in a nice format that is more easily readable. The *:W will search for all warnings, errors, and fatals, while the *:S will silence everything else.
    So essentially, u will have a .txt file that has a log of all warnings and up, nothing else, and it'll look pretty too!
    Code:
    logcat -v long *:W*:S > /sdcard/filename.txt
  • now press home button to minimize the terminal..
  • and do the task which is giving problems/ whichever task log you need to give to dev..
  • then drag the notification bar..
  • select terminal app in it..
  • now press and hold "Volume down button" and touch c button on keyboard.
  • This will stop the command..
  • now use this command twice
    Code:
    exit
  • Now app will get closed. go to sdcard to find test.log file.. upload it to here so that dev can access it..

Thank you for reading it with patience :) hope you can get logcat now..

Note: if you are stuck in boot and want to take logcat.. READ LOGCAT FROM ADB METHOD BELOW.. the above one is simple method for these tasks for eg.. if you are having some force close of app/lag etc.. then after entering second command press enter and then use home button to minimize terminal.. dont worry it will take log.. now open that app and once it gives force close then click on it and then open terminal again and press volume down button + c to terminate command.. then use exit command two times... done.. now go to sdcard and find a.txt file

From PC[i.e, ADB] LOGCAT METHOD :Difficulty --> ***

There is an advantage here. As doing this way, you can start using logcat when your device boots. There are 2 ways here again..

PREPARATION:
  • In your android device, go to settings --> applications --> development -->
  • Check USB Debugging
  • Make sure your device driver is already installed otherwise install kies software which will install drivers too.. Get kies from This LINK
  • You need to download this ADB.zip file i made to your system.. Download link
  • Extract the ADB.zip file from any applications like IZarc/7Zip/winzip/winrar.

ADB USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
  • Then go to Android folder.. inside that you should find 3 files.. Now open a command prompt or terminal in that path..(wherever you extracted it.. use cd command)
    Then inside that path.. type
    Code:
    adb logcat > filename.txt
    Or
    Code:
    Or
    Code:
  • Now perform tasks in android device of which you need to give logcat for the devs. Then use CTRL+C to end the command.
  • Now find the filename.txt inside the Android folder which has logcat. Upload this file and give link to dev..
Or There is another method called All in one logger tool by wcypierre which can get you logcat and dmesg. I have not tested it myself. But i am sure it will work and you can go to that thread and ask your queries about that tool if you want to use that. The dev will help you gladly. So, please thank him for his nice work.
The full list of options that can be used with logcat command is as follows:
  • V — Verbose (lowest priority)
  • D — Debug
  • I — Info (default priority)
  • W — Warning
  • E — Error
  • F — Fatal
  • S — Silent (highest priority, on which nothing is ever printed)

You can replace the *:W with any other letter from above to get more info.

From PC[i.e, ADB] GET DMESG:Difficulty --> ***

Note: You will need adb access for this to work, same as logcat. Read PREPARATIONS above to find adb files required and related setup.

What this will do is get us live kernel output so we can know things like "What driver is the kernel loading {or not loading for that matter}" and similar things.

Go to Android folder.. inside that you should find 3 files.. Now open a command prompt or terminal in that path..(wherever you extracted it.. use cd command)
Code:
adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt
To get last_kmsg:
Code:
 adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > kmsg.txt
From Android Device GET DMESG:Difficulty --> **
You can also get the dmesg by using terminal emulator.
Code:
dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
To get last_kmsg:
Code:
 cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
FOR APP DEVS / ADVANCED USERS ONLY! LOGCAT INSTRUCTIONS:
Thanks to jaison thomas for this method! NOTE: I have not tested this. sorry. But it will definitely work. I edited the quoted message to make it simple. :)
jaison thomas said:
log cat using eclipse, i thought it will be simple for advanced users who are into app development.
I will guide how it works
1) install samsung kies in your pc
2) turn on usb debugging in phone.
3) install android plugin for eclipse .
4) now on eclipse click on "window" --> "show view" --> "other" --> "android" --> "log cat". Then click "ok".
Thats it .logcat window will be shown in lower bottom side of eclipse.it is having a green color icon. Also there may be a chance of logcat window minimised in eclipse.do look for a green icon.
5) now conect ur phone using datacable u can see all the things happening inside the phone in log cat window in eclipse.

NOTE: if you couldnt find android under other option.. Do this:
u didnt install android plugin for eclipse do as follows to install android plugin for eclipse.
1) click on help
2)click on install new software
3) then click on add.
4)then you will get a text box with name and location. in name text box type android or any thing,
in the location copy paste this
https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ and press ok,
5)In the Available Software dialog, select all check boxes and click Next.
6)In the next window, you'll see a list of the tools to be downloaded. Click Next.
7)Read and accept the license agreements, then click Finish.
8)If you get a security warning saying that the authenticity or validity of the software can't be established, click OK.
9)When the installation completes, restart Eclipse.

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
CWM MD5SUM mismatch error while restoring? Solution for this:

Difficulty --> **
If you have made a nandroid backup and we never actually test whether it works/not.. So, some day when you need to restore it.. you get an error while restoring that "md5sum mismatch" restore aborted!! Then you are in a really bad situation right?? Wrong.. Do this.. and the problem should be solved..

You need to edit nandroid.md5 file stored in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/"backup name"/nandroid.md5
NOTE: backup name is usually date and time of your backup/ you could have renamed it to some name.

You need terminal emulator app. Download from play store (android terminal emulator)

• Open terminal emulator app and input these commands..
    Code:
    cd sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2012-09-30.03.18.47
  • NOTE: Change 2012-09-30.03.18.47 to the name of your folder
  • To See what file extensions need to be included. type
    Code:
    ls
    ( lowercase "L") and hit enter.
  • This will list everything inside your current directory (backup files of that particular backup)
  • To make sure there is no nandroid.md5 file existing already, enter this command:
    Code:
    rm nandroid.md5
  • Now to make a new nandroid.md5 file
    Code:
    md5sum *tar > nandroid.md5
  • Now its ready to be used in restore inside CWM..

NOTE: USE this procedure to repair nandroid md5sum mismatch error if you are getting this on a backup which has not been modified. If you have opened the backup files to modify the files inside. Its not advised to do this. So, please take note of this.

Special Thanks to cynnar for this idea. i tweaked it to our device from his post.

CLICK HERE TO GO TO FIRST POST

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
How to use SDCARD instead of internal storage for apps[LINK2SD]

Difficulty --> **
Welcome to LINK2SD app friends!
Easiest app to install and use to extend your internal memory.

What it does?
It creates a symbolic link file(more like shortcut in windows) for apps in internal memory which will point to the real app which will be saved in your sdcard second partition! It mounts the second partition of your SD card as /data/sdext2 and makes OS mounts it at boot time.
It can also move user apps to SD card (force move), with batch moving (multiple apps moving at once) capability.
That feature uses Android's standard SD-card installation feature and does not require a second partition. It can break some apps if they are not meant to be moved to the SD card (Such as Widgets).​
Preparations:
* You need to have root permission/access[Rooted phone]
* A second partition on your SD card. You should have two partitions on SD card and both should be primary.
* The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32 (I prefer FAT32 and no issues i have seen, see note below to know why?).
Note:
1. The second partition will not be accessible through windows OS as it recognises only first partition on removable devices. In Linux you can access second partition too!
2. ext4 is the latest ext format but several ROMs/Kernels have issues with it while fewer have issues with ext3 and ext2. FAT works on all ROMs.

Steps to make 2nd Partition in SDCARD:
  • Connect phone to PC using USB Cable. Make sure your device driver is already installed otherwise install kies software which will install drivers too.. Get kies from This LINK
  • Now drag the notification bar from status bar in phone and select "USB Connected" messasge.
  • Then select "Connect USB storage" button.
  • Once it is connected, Make a backup of sdcard first to PC(Copy all files inside sdcard to any fodler in PC). Otherwise you will loose data in sdcard.
  • Now open "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" download it from This LINK
    This tool is compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista & Windows 7. Or Use "Gparted" tool for linux users Or "iPartiton" for Mac users.
  • Note: this partition manager QUEUES the operations. So nothing is deleted and changed UNTIL you click "APPLY" and then confirm by clicking "OK".
  • Make sure you are deleting partition on SD card! (not your hard disk for example). Dont be afraid, just read everything and think twice before selecting correct drive. Do you see three gray icons on the bottom? Under each of them the capacity of each drive is listed, and SD CARD has slightly different icon. Check the sdcard capacity given in the window to select the proper one.
  • select "Create As": PRIMARY on the sdcard partition. Choose whatever size(leave some space which we will use for apps partition) you want for sdcard( to have your music, personal files, etc.).
  • Select "File System:" FAT32
  • select the second partition below the one you just created which will have the space left when partitioning the first partition.
  • Select "File System:" FAT32 (YOU can use Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 also.) But my suggestion is please use FAT32. You wont have problems as all ROMS/KERNELS support fat32 by default!
  • Click "apply" button on top left corner. Partitions will be created and card will be formatted.
  • Now put your files back to sdcard and disconnect from PC.
NOTE: You can also use CWM partition option. If you want to use CWM partition method to partition your sdcard then see here. I have never tried this method. So i cannot help you with that.
Steps to install and use link2sd[2.2.3 version]:

• Let the media scanner finish the scanning process, then open link2sd app and you will see a pop up menu "Select the file system of your SD card's second partition"
  • Choose your partition type for "second partition" you created while partitioning, say you choose "FAT32/FAT16" then your sdcard second partition should be FAT32/FAT16 which is nothing but FAT or vFAT.
  • Now Press OK. After 2-10 seconds you will see another pop up menu "Restart your phone" Press "OK" (message goes like this "Mount script created, please restart your phone to mount the second partition of your SD card.")
  • Now do a reboot of your phone.
  • Link2SD successfully installed.

To make space inside internal memory-->

* Now open LINK2SD app and you will see three buttons on top bar. click on the first button from left side. you will see:
* All --> It will show you all the apk/app files in your phone (130+/- apps)
* System --> It will show you all the system apps in phone (100+/- apps)(stored in system memory)
* User --> It will show you all the User apps(i.e, installed by you) in your phone (30+/- apps)(stored in internal & sdcard & second partition memory)
* Linked --> It will show you all the linked apps in your phone (it wont show any now)(stored in your sdcard second partition memory)
* On SD card --> It will show you all the user apps (10+/- apps)(stored in your sdcard first partition. usual sdcard method)
* On internal --> It will show you all the user apps (10+/- apps)(stored in your sdcard first partition. usual sdcard method)
* Frozen --> It will show you all the apps that have been stopped. This is a method same as Titanium backup app "freeze" method. It makes your app invisible to phone. I.e, it will be installed and ready to use.. but you wont see it anywhere in launcher and if you click on a shortcut of such "frozen" app it will say "app not installed" or such message.​
* Now select options button in phone, then select "Multi-Select". Now press "select all" option.

* Now press "Actions" button. In new pop up window select "Create link"

* Now in new page which appears, select all 3 options to link application, dalvik-cache, library files. Then press "ok" button and wait till the process ends. It will take time depending upon how many apps you have. around say 5 minutes.

* Now go to linked option from top bar first button from left side. and see al the apps having linked->sdacrd tag on them which means they are now in sdcard second partition..

*Long press on any app to view more options.

NOTE: 1. you cannot move link2sd app from internal memory. It is better to keep it there.
2. System applications should not be linked to SD card. Link2SD does not allow these applications to be linked.
3. Link2SD does not move application's private data directory; it moves apk, dex (dalvik-cache) and lib files.
4. Do not move keyboard apps to system memory. they wont work.

Advantages:

1. When you connect your phone to PC as mass storage, Android unmounts FAT partition but the second partition remains mounted in phone. Therefore linked applications are not affected and can be run without problems even when you have access through pc to sdcard.

2. You can use this app to uninstall system apps, move user apps to system apps or system apps to user apps.

3. You can integrate new updates of system apps which will be stored in internal memory to system apps. But please note: You should free the app first and then move them to/from system always for safety of apps so that they wont give FC. If some apps did gave FC after moving please restart the phone.

4. You can use clear cache, dalvik-cache, 2nd partition options. They wont harm your apps, they will remove only unwanted files.

Troubleshooting / Error occurance chances:
Question : When I click on "Move to SD card", I see a progress bar for 2-3 seconds and then:
pkg:/data/app/com.mobisystems.editor.office_registrered-1.apk Failure
[INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]

Answer : Your problem is a simple one.. your internal memory is low..

What link2sd actually does is.. first it moves the files to internal memory and then it sends to 2nd partition.. so you are having issues because.. say the apk file is 20 MB.. and your internal memory is around 20/less MB free.. So, it will give that error even if the second partition is totally empty..

For a work around to this.. you can make backup from titanium or just backup with any app.. then uninstall some apps.. then move that big app.. then reinstall these..

Hope your doubts are solved.. Enjoy the awesome app!

Apps Original thread link and the credit goes to RD bakpinar. So do thank him for this awesome app. You can also donate the dev by visiting his original thread.

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Detailed steps to install Stock rom/Firmware through ODIN

Difficulty --> **
NOTE: Please dont install/flash FIRMWARE of OTHER DEVICES for your phones! through odin! Make double check before downloading whether its the right firmware for your phone!
Visit the threads respective to your devices to see the latest available firmware.. Links given below.
Samsung Galaxy Y --> [Stock][ROM][Odin] FIRMWARE THREAD BY DOKY73
Samsung Galaxy Y DUOS--> [Stock][ROM][Odin] FIRMWARE THREAD BY MANORANJAN2050
Samsung Galaxy Y PRO --> [Stock][ROM][Odin] FIRMWARE THREAD BY GianniDPC
Samsung Galaxy Y PRO DUOS --> [Stock][ROM][Odin] FIRMWARE THREAD BY MANORANJAN2050

To check the current version your mobile has.. Type this code in Dialer Tab which is where you type phone numbers to call..
Code:
*#*#1234#*#*
and check EX. PHONE: S6102DDLG1. See whether it is the latest by visiting samfirmware.com site and type your mobile no. for ex. 5360 in search box in right side of that site page and see whether any new update has come.

PREPARATION:
  • Switch on PC to windows OS and Login to your account. Make sure your device driver is already installed and your device got detected.. otherwise install kies software which will install drivers too.. Get kies from This LINK
  • Now connect your device to PC using USB Cable..
  • Open ODIN software from extracting the file you downloaded from using any of these applications like IZarc/ 7ZIP/ Winzip/ Winrar..

Note:
  • If you did above instruction and still device not detected? Then do this..
  • Unplug the usb cable..
  • Restart both PC and phone..
  • Then let the PC log in.. and give 5 mins time to it to load everything..
  • Then connect usb cable to phone and pc..
  • Open task manager in PC using CTRL+ALT+DELETE..
  • end process of adb.exe if its existing and kies too... do this end process only once..

Now open odin..

Instructions to install this through Odin:
1. Restart your mobile by holding three buttons... Volume up+home button+power button.. Now when you see Samsung logo release the buttons... After few seconds you will see 4 options written in red text.. Which is stock recovery (Android system recovery)... select first option there.. ("reboot system now").. It will say "Rebooting..." in green colour..

2. Now when screen gets black.. immediately press and hold volume down+home button+power button..
you will see a page saying "Warning"
A custom OS can cause critical problems in your phone and installed applications.. and it will say some more in next paragraph..
Dont worry about it.. Now press "Volume up" to continue to odin mode..

3.you will see ODIN MODE written on top of screen in red..
Now make sure you are connected to your pc through usb cable and pc is logged in and open odin file..

4. Note: In Odin you will see a yellow/blue color in one box below "ID:COM" section.. If you are not seeing yellow/blue box restart your mobile and do same process from step 2. also restart your pc if its still not showing yellow. If it is showing then good.

5. Now select "PDA" button under "Files [Download]" section.. select "PDA_S****_(your firmware version no.).tar.md5" file
Now select "PHONE" button below "PDA" button in "Files [Download]" section.. select "MODEM_S****_(your firmware version no.).tar.md5" file
Now select "CSC" button below "PHONE" button in "Files [Download]" section.. select "CSC_S****_(your firmware version no.).tar.md5" file
Note: **** --> Your device model number. 5360 --> Samsung Galaxy Y, 6102 --> Samsung Galaxy Y Duos, 5512 --> Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos, 5510 --> Samsung Galaxy Y Pro.

6. Now remember!! Only "Auto Reboot" "F. Reset Time" options should be selected..
PDA, PHONE, MODEM also should be selected..

7. Now you are ready to flash through odin.. Just press "Start" button.. and wait around 10 minutes until odin finishes and the "yellow" box should show green... It will usually finish within 52 seconds to be precise..

8. Now your phone will reboot. If it starts showing Samsung logo again after few minutes.. Restart your mobile by holding three buttons... Volume up+home button+power button.. Now when you see Samsung logo release the buttons... After few seconds you will see 4 options written in red text.. Which is stock recovery (Android system recovery)...and select "wipe data/factory" and select first option there.. ("reboot system now").. It will say "Rebooting..." in green colour..

9. Now enjoy your brand new stock rom.. Hope this helps you!!​
NOTE: IF YOU CANT GO TO ODIN/DOWNLOAD MODE.. YOU NEED AN USB JIG to force phone to Odin mode automatically.. [REF] BORROW A USB JIG NEAR YOU..

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
ROM installations instructions [IN GENERAL]

Difficulty --> *
OK.. so I assume you have latest firmware.. Because its always good to have latest firmware update to avoid unnecessary problems as usually updates will have bug fixes and stability improvements.. If not, then First follow the guide I have given in this thread to install the firmware update if you are not on latest version..

OK, now that we have latest firmware update installed, lets proceed to ROM installation process!

* If you dont have these files Download and keep these files in sdcard (outside all folders / root of sdcard)..

1. Rom.zip file.. link is provided in first page of the ROM thread..
2. CWM file..

• Now go to stock recovery by doing this..
  • Restart your mobile by holding three buttons...
  • Volume up+home button+power button..
  • Now when you see Samsung logo release the buttons..
  • After few seconds you will see 4 options written in red text..
  • Which is stock recovery (Android system recovery)...

* Select 2nd option in there.. "apply update from sdcard"

* Select "CWM.zip" file u have..

* In cwm(clockworkmod) which is with yellow text..

* Now go to backup and restore option.. make a backup first.. you need to have atleast 250-400 MB of free space in sdcard to do backup...if you dont care about your data/contacts/messages currently existing in phone then no need to make backup.

* Select "wipe data / reset" and then "wipe cache Partition"..

* select "install zip from sd"

* Select "Choose zip from sdca" first option now..

* Scroll down.. and select rom.zip file..

* Then select yes option.. and wait for few minutes for it to finish.. then come bak to previous screen using power button..

* Now select "reboot system now"

* Good, Now you have successfully installed the rom.. First boot takes time.. So wait till atleast 5-10 mins.. It will vibrate onec and then it will boot to your home screen.. This guide is in general. But usually all roms have installation guide..​
NOTE: THIS IS A GENERAL METHOD.. SHOULD WORK FOR MOST OF THE ROMS.. BUT IF THERE WAS ANY PROBLEM LET ME KNOW.. I WILL EXCLUDE IT FROM THIS GUIDE.. IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND INSTRUCTIONS IN ROM THREADS THEN ONLY TRY THIS.. I HAVE WRITTEN THIS ASSUMING YOU ARE ON STOCK KERNEL/ YOUR KERNEL DOESNT HAVE CWM INBUILT. If it has.. then ignore stock recovery instructions mentioned in above instructions.. and directly start from CWM instructions..

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Kernel installations instructions [IN GENERAL]

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR KERNELS THROUGH CWM METHOD:Difficulty --> *

* First Download all the files required [from the kernel thread first page of whichever one you want to install]

* Copy these files inside SDCard.. Kernel.zip (kernel), CWM.zip (ClockWorkMod Recovery tool)
Note: Don't keep these files inside any "FOLDERS".. Just copy it to SDCard root (parent) folder (Outside of all folders)..

* Switch off your mobile.
After a small vibration (switch off confirmation) PRESS and HOLD 3 BUTTONS (VOLUME UP+HOME BUTTON+POWER BUTTON)
when samsung galaxy logo appears, release the 3 pressed keys..

* After few seconds.. You will see Android system recovery (red text with 4 options lines)..
Select "apply update from sdcard"
Note: (Volume up+down for "scrolling" through options or selection of files, home button for "select" any option.. in CWM only: power button for "back" option)
Then Select "CWM.zip".

* ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.6 is loaded now.
Select "install zip from sdcard"
Select "choose zip from sdcard"
Scroll and Select "Kernel.zip" and select "Yes"
Wait till the menu appears again.. Now Go back

* Select "Reboot system now" and you have successfully installed Kernel.​
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR KERNELS THROUGH ODIN METHOD:Difficulty --> **

* First Download all the files required [from the kernel thread first page of whichever one you want to install]

* Restart your mobile by holding three buttons... Volume up+home button+power button.. Now when you see Samsung logo release the buttons... After few seconds you will see 4 options written in red text.. Which is stock recovery (Android system recovery)... select first option there.. ("reboot system now").. It will say "Rebooting..." in green colour..

* Now when screen gets black.. immediately press and hold volume down+home button+power button..
you will see a page saying "Warning"
A custom OS can cause critical problems in your phone and installed applications.. and it will say some more in next paragraph..
Dont worry about it.. Now press "Volume up" to continue to odin mode..

* you will see ODIN MODE written on top of screen in red..
Now make sure you are connected to your pc through usb cable and pc is logged in and open odin file..

*NOTE: In Odin you will see a yellow/blue color in one box below "ID:COM" section.. If you are not seeing yellow/blue restart your mobile and do same process from step 2. also restart your pc if its still not showing yellow. If it is showing then good.

* Now select "PDA" button under "Files [Download]" section.. A new window to browse files will get opened.. Locate the file boot.tar/boot.tar.md5 file you want to install.. select "boot.tar.md5"/"boot.tar" file..

* Now remember!! Only "PDA" "Auto Reboot" "F. Reset Time" options should be selected..

* Now you are ready to flash through odin.. Just press "Start" button.. and wait around 1 minute until odin finishes and the "yellow" box should show green... It will usually finish within 15 seconds to be precise..

* Now enjoy your brand new stock kernel.. Hope this helps you!!​
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE FOR KERNELS THROUGH KERNEL FLASHER TOOL[MAI77 METHOD] IN CWM:Difficulty --> *

* First Download all the files required ["boot.img" from the kernel thread first page of whichever one you want to install] and kernel flasher tool

* Copy these files inside SDCard.. boot.img (kernel), KernelUpdate.zip (Kernel Installer tool), CWM.zip (CLOCKWORKMOD)
Note: Don't keep these files inside any "FOLDERS".. Just copy it to SDCard root (parent) folder (Outside of all folders)..

* Switch off your mobile.
After a small vibration (switch off confirmation) PRESS and HOLD 3 BUTTONS (VOLUME UP+HOME BUTTON+POWER BUTTON)
when samsung galaxy logo appears, release the 3 pressed keys..

* After few seconds.. You will see Android system recovery (red text with 4 options lines)..
Select "apply update from sdcard"
Note: (Volume up+down for "scrolling" through options or selection of files, home button for "select" any option.. in CWM only: power button for "back" option)
Then Select "CWM.zip".

* ClockworkMod Recovery v5.0.2.6 is loaded now.
Select "install zip from sdcard"
Select "choose zip from sdcard"
Scroll and Select "KernelUpdate.zip" and select "Yes"
Wait till the menu appears again.. Now Go back

* Select "Reboot system now" and you have successfully installed Kernel.​
NOTE: THIS IS A GENERAL METHOD.. SHOULD WORK FOR MOST OF THE KERNELS.. BUT IF THERE WAS ANY PROBLEM LET ME KNOW.. I WILL EXCLUDE IT FROM THIS GUIDE.. IF YOU CANT UNDERSTAND INSTRUCTIONS IN KERNEL THREADS THEN ONLY TRY THIS.. YOU CAN CHOOSE TO USE ANY OF 3 INSTRUCTIONS TO INSTALL.. I HAVE WRITTEN THIS ASSUMING YOU ARE ON STOCK KERNEL/ YOUR KERNEL DOESNT HAVE CWM INBUILT. If it has.. then ignore stock recovery instructions mentioned in above instructions.. and directly start from CWM instructions..

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
How to deodex a stock rom in easy way using DSIXDA Kitchen

SPECIAL Thanks to dsixda Recognized Developer / Retired Senior Moderator who has made an all in one ROM kitchen. So thanks to him there are many custom roms are there in xda.

Difficulty --> **** IF YOU ARE NEW TO PC & ANDROID. This is not for you. If you are good with either one then you can try this.

PREPARATIONS:I Recommend you to use linux if you have it.
  • Kitchen by Dsixda [KITCHEN] Android Kitchen, v0.214 [Linux / Mac / Windows]
  • You need to have java installed in system to use the kitchen. All the steps for how to setup in windows/linux/mac has been explained well by dsixda in thread link. So i am not going to explain it here again. I assume your kitchen is set up and you are ready to work.
  • Make a backup in cwm and transfer the system.rfs.tar or system.ext4.tar file and boot.img file inside /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/"dateofbackup"/ into PC.
  • Now go to the "/dsixda-Android-Kitchen/" folder and you should see these in that folder:
    1. 3 files & 3 folders it should contain:
    2. - menu(file)
    3. - Readme(file)
    4. - .gitignore(file)
    5. - original_update(folder)
    6. - tools(folder)
    7. - scripts(folder)
  • For Windows users--> Now open command prompt (If you installed Cygwin, then click on the Cygwin shortcut on your desktop to start it) and make sure you get to the path of that folder.. Ex. if folder is in c:\cygwin\home\"username"\dsixda-Android-Kitchen.. Then type this in command prompt..
    Code:
    cd dsixda-Android-Kitchen
    Note: the capital letters should be in capital only when you type it... Note: Dont use space in folder names as cygwin wont work properly with space in folder names.
  • Or For Linux Users--> Now open terminal(Use CTRL+ALT+T). and make sure you get to the path of that folder.. Ex. if folder is in /home/"username"/Desktop/dsixda-Android-Kitchen.. Then you will be at /home/"username"/ . So type this in terminal.
    Code:
    cd Desktop/dsixda-Android-Kitchen
    Note: the capital letters should be in capital only when you type it.
  • Now find that system.rfs.tar or system.ext4.tar file and boot.img file and paste it inside original_update folder. You will also find a file "put_rom_here_" Please ignore that file. Its just to tell you he has created that file.
  • Ok.. Now that you are at the right path.. just type ./menu in terminal or command prompt. From now on i am just going to say type this. It means you should type that and press "enter" to execute the command. If a menu didnt appear then type
    Code:
    pwd
    You should see in which directory you are currently in. Try to get to the folder where kitchen folder is. Or follow steps again to get to there.

• Now then, you should see this menu:
    Code:
    ============================================================
     Android Kitchen 0.214 - by dsixda (xda-developers.com)
    ============================================================

> MAIN MENU

1 - Set up working folder from ROM
      2 - Add root permissions
      3 - Add BusyBox
      4 - Disable boot screen sounds
      5 - Zipalign all *.apk files to optimize RAM usage
      6 - Change wipe status of ROM
      7 - Change name of ROM
      8 - Show working folder information

0 - ADVANCED OPTIONS
     00 - LEGACY OPTIONS (old and rarely used)
     99 - Build ROM from working folder

u - Kitchen Info/Update/Donate
      x - Exit

Enter option:
  • Enter option: 1
  • Press "Enter"
  • [CODE}Available ROMs:

(1) system.rfs.tar

Enter selection number (default=1, cancel=0, r=refresh):1[/CODE]
  • It will ask you this:
    Code:
    The new working folder will be named WORKING_111212_132324
    Change the name (y/n)? (default: n):y
    Give a name if you want to identify it easily next time.. for ex. i gave this "Enter a new name (using this prefix): WORKING_DDLJ1" as it is from DDLJ1 firmware update.. you can choose not to give name.
  • Now it will ask this:
    Code:
    Would you like to view this ROM's info (y/n)? (default: y):y
    Give y as yes as i gave.
  • It would appear like this if it is stock roms backup:
    Code:
    Working folder information

Android OS version             : 2.3.6
     Device                         : GT-S6102
     Model                          : GT-S6102
     ROM Name                       : GINGERBREAD.DDLJ1
     CSC version                    : S6102ODDLJ1
     Rooted (Superuser app + su)    : NO
     Rooted (unsecured boot.img)    : UNKNOWN
     BusyBox installed              : NO
     BusyBox run-parts support      : UNKNOWN
     Apps2SD (Apps to EXT) enabled  : NO
     /data/app enabled              : NO
     Custom boot animation allowed  : NO
     Nano text editor installed     : NO
     Bash shell support             : NO
     /system/framework is deodexed  : NO
     /system/app is deodexed        : NO
     radio.img found                : NO
     ROM will wipe all data         : NO

Press Enter to continue
    Now press "Enter" to continue.
  • Setting up working directory complete.. You can close it anytime if you want when you are at main screen just type x and press "Enter". You can open it again and continue without making the above steps again..
  • Enter option:0 in main menu for "Advanced options"
  • Enter option:11
  • It will show like this:
    Code:
    NOTE: Reversing the de-odexing process by getting back the odex
    files ('re-odexing') is not supported in the kitchen and would
    be impossible to implement.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Found 23 *.odex files in system/framework
    Found 110 *.odex files in system/app

Enter a choice:

bb  = Back up both folders (do first!)
      v  = Set Android OS version (Current API level = 10)

IMPORTANT: Ensure you set the correct API level

f  = Deodex /system/framework
      a  = Deodex /system/app
      b  = Deodex both folders (recommended)
      s  = Deodex a single file
      x  = Exit

?
    Now type bb and press enter. (For safety, backup apks.. you can skip it if you want) Press "Enter" to continue.
    Now type v and
    Code:
    Change the current API level (y/n)? (default: n):y
    Please enter the new level number (currently: 15): 10
    Press "Enter to continue.
    Now type b to deodex your rom. Press "Enter" when this is asked,
    Code:
    Enable logging to file (y/n)? (default: y):
    It will take some time depending upon your computer configuration. So take a small nap ;) It takes 20 minutes in mine usually.
    At the end if its successful.. you should see this:
    Code:
    Finished system/app

A summary of the deodexing has been logged in deodex_111212_133710.log

0 *.odex files remain in system/app
    0 *.odex files remain in system/framework

Press Enter to continue
    Now press "Enter" to get back to "Advanced options"
    Now to make this as cwm flashable zip.. Then type 99 and press "Enter"
    [CODE}Select a build option:
    Number (default: 1):1
    Would you like to optimize the APK files by zipaligning them (y/n)? (default: y):y
    Use updater-script in ROM's ZIP file (y/n)? (default: y):y [/CODE]
    Now it will show this:
    Code:
    An updater-script has been created under META-INF/com/google/android of
    your working folder. Please review it and make any necessary changes. An
    update-binary has also been added.

DO NOT delete any of the files under META-INF/com/google/android.

Proceed with the change (y/n)?

y = Proceed; updater-script and update-binary will be used in the ZIP
          file; update-script will remain in working folder.
      n = Cancel; updater-script and update-binary will be deleted and not
          used.

? (default: y):
    Now go to that "META-INF/com/google/android." folder.. And replace the "updater-script" with the file i have given in the attachment to this post. rename the "updater-script.txt" file i have given to "updater-script" and delete "update-script" file. Now after replacing the file type y in menu.
  • It will ask this:
    Code:
    It is recommended that you sign your ROM.
    Sign it (y/n)? (default: y): y
    The new ROM will be named GT-S6102_signed_111212_141640.zip
    Change the name (y/n)? (default: n):y
    and type new file name whatever you want and press enter
    You will find the zip file inside OUTPUT_ZIP/"given name".zip
    Now its ready to flash the zip file in CWM.

I will write about other options if any users/readers ask me to write it.. otherwise i may update it when i feel there is a need for that.

Attachments

• updater-script.txt
    3.3 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Miscellaneous section

THREAD TITLES CONFUSING? ITS EXPLAINED HERE!Difficulty --> *
  • [TAGS] --. Use these below tags on your title, So that people can identify it more easily and what the thread is for! Add it in front of the thread for better recognition of thread purpose.
  • [SOLVED] - for issues that have been fixed or [Q] that have been answered THIS IS A MUST TAG FOR SOLVED THREADS! IT WILL SAVE LOTS OF TIME FOR EVERYONE! PLEASE DO THIS WITHOUT FAIL ALWAYS!
  • [Q] or [QUESTION] - All Questions thread should have this.
  • [REQ] - Requests topics for ROM ports, INFO, THEME, MOD, etc.
  • [TUTORIAL] or [GUIDE] or [HOWTO] - How to do or Guides for some task or info for users/devs.
  • [UITIL] or [UTILITY] or [TOOL] -- Any kit or tool made for some specific task.
  • [APP/ 2.2+] -- Apps thread which contains apps made / ported / modded. 2.2+ such tag is also a must which tells what android os or above versions are supported.
  • [ROM] / [KERNEL] -- As name suggests its a rom development or kernel development thread.
  • [DEV] -- Developers related thread
  • [MOD} -- Modded ROM/KERNEL/APP etc thread
  • [ROOT] or [CWM] -- Rooting thread or root related to thread. CWM related thread.
  • [AROMA] -- Tool used in recovery. This means the thread for any ROM ? KERNEL ? OTHER WORKS has aroma to flash it.
    [TWEAK] -- Tweaks to boost system performance speed etc thread.
    [WIP] -- Work In Progress thread.
Also, please do add tags to your threads. See "TAGS" button above your "Quick reply option".. Now see right end of that line to find "EDIT TAGS" button. Click on it and words there.
Code:
Thread owners and others should add relevant words there
So that the thread gets added to searches which have those words

WHY GIVE THANKS? THANKS METER EXPLAINED!Difficulty --> *
Why to Give Thanks?
Giving thanks is important. It lets people know that their work or answer is appreciated. It is a faster method of feedback than posting a reply like "Thanks for your answer!" You must have made one post to give thanks,

You get 8 thanks per day, and they renew after 24 hours or so. Each thanks is independent of the others, so if you give someone a thanks at 3, and then another at 4, those will renew at 3 and 4 the next day. If you run out of thanks, then save that page in a new tab and give thanks later when you have one available. (Or if you are an app user then you can thank them through the app "Just tap on the post and touch thanks button on pop up bar which appears") If you use them all every day you are doing it correctly.
Thanks Meter:
  • You will see that everyone here has a Thanks Meter above their avatar.
  • Here are the counts needed to get to the next bar.
  • 1st bar - 26
  • 2nd bar - 51
  • 3rd bar - 101
  • 4th bar - 201
  • bug here, never gets to 5 bars, probably 501 if fixed.
  • 6th bar - 1001
  • 7th bar - 2001
  • 8th bar - 5001
  • 9th bar - 8001
  • 10th! - 10000+
Not that thanks are an indication of a user's status or stature on XDA. Thanks don't really count for anything other than as a potentially wildly inaccurate measure of a member's ability to answer your question correctly. Some of the most important people here have a lot fewer thanks than you might guess. But it is a nice gesture to hit thanks button to those who helped you as they are not gaining anything in return!

STARS, USER TITLES: JUNIOR, MEMBER, SENIOR MEMBER........? READ TO KNOW MORE!Difficulty --> *
  • 0 to 29 posts - Junior Member
  • 30 to 99 posts - Member
  • 100 + posts - Senior Member
Here is what our Senior Moderator said,
There are Junior Members, Members, Senior Members first. These make up the vast majority of XDAs userbase.

Recognised Contributors are nominated by other users and/or Mods/Developers. They are recognised for their contributions which are not specifically Development, such as detailed guides, one-click utilities and other tools/mods.

Recognised Themers are also nominated by users/Mods/Developers, for their work themeing custom ROMs and providing standalone themes for flashing.

Recognised Developers are nominated and approved by the Developer Committee, for their work in Development whether it be ROMs, Root methods, bootloader unlocks etc.

Elite Recognised Developers are again assessed by the Developer Committee, and are deemed to have gone above-and-beyond in providing knowledge/hacks/tools/apps/ROMs for the XDA community.

Forum Moderators are appointed by the Moderator Committee, after submitting an application (see the 'sticky' at the top of this forum - currently applications are not open). They are the first-line of keeping the forums tidy, friendly and orderly.

Senior Moderators are the next step up the ladder, providing site-wide support for Forum Mods and looking after the nitty-gritty issues, as well as areas of XDA not policed by FSMs, such as the Marketplace.

Administrators are next. There are several Admins - each look after a specific part of XDA such as the Portal, the Members and the User Experience of XDA as a whole.

At the top is Mike Channon, who is overall Forum Administrator.

Other titles you may come across:

Moderator Committee - sits on the Mod Committee
Developer Committee - as above, but for Developer Committee
XDA Newswriter - publishes articles for the Portal (front page)
Retired xxxx - have since officially 'left' their XDA position

Hopefully that clears most of them up for you :)

Contrary to what a lot of people expect, the thanks-meter does not figure at all in determining a users tag.
Wondering what those stars below the thanks meter mean?
It means that they've donated money directly to XDA.
A star = €10 euro donation.
A star with 10 written within it = €100 euros, as it represents 10 individual stars.​

XDA/TAPATALK APP IMAGE UPLOADING PROBLEMS?? Difficulty --> *

• Use Imgur Mushroom app.. its available at play store..
  • Its app size is very small.. Its a great app for multiple pictute uploads at once..
  • Whatsmore u can configure prefix and suffix text in settings to add [img] and [/img]..
  • After uploadingthe pics, it will save all links with prefix and suffix code in clipboard. ready made for you to paste it in the desired post using the XDA/TAPATALK app..
So all u need to do is paste it in post.. very easy and handy.. How to do it? Instructions below!

• open imgur mushroom app. Select button right side to upload button which has this "..." button.
  • now select "settings" in the newly opened pop up menu.
  • now scroll down and select "output type" in URL settings section.
  • select "URL to direct image"
  • select "prefix text" and add [img]
  • select "suffix text" and add [/img]
  • now go back and select "pick" button and choose your pics to upload. Alternatively you can multi select in a file browser and share them to this app to upload too! Hope this helps!

MAKE YOUR THREAD/POST NEAT BY USING BBCODE [Bulletin Board Codes]: Difficulty --> *

• You see in many Threads and posts people using something to make it look cool / formatted to make it more readable?
  • And you wish to make your threads/posts the same way??
  • Then look at this link provided by XDA.. I know many wont know about this..
BBCODE EXPLAINED WITH EX. BY XDA.. CHECK THIS LINK
I will add other info that are not informed there soon..

BATTERY DRAIN?? READ THESE TIPS TO AVOID IT! Difficulty --> *

• Are you using live wallpaper? it takes more battery!
  • Go to Settings-->Accounts and Sync-->Auto-sync option-->uncheck it to save more battery.
  • If you keep using 3g/wifi it will use more battery.. Use 3g only when u download something..
  • If you are using widgets, it does drain battery faster.. If you want your battery to last longer, remove them or keep it to minimum 1 or 2. I dont use any widgets.
  • You have to pay attention to your apps running in the background. Try "Quick system info pro" or "ES Task manager" or "some other apps which shows detailed info on processes running. Stop those processes.
  • If you are using too many notifications features types of apps it will drain battery as they run in the background all the time..
  • Keep the screen brightness to as low as possible and readable still. Brightness does takes battery a lot.
  • Playing games does drain battery faster.
  • If you have custom kernel, and keep minimum freq higher then it will drain faster too
  • When u sleep at night and wake up at morning how much battery u lose? I loose around 1 percent.. If its more than 2-10% may be your deep sleep feature is not working.. Check it with CPU SPY app available at play store.
  • [DUOS ONLY]Do you keep both sims alive? I switch off 1 in sim manager.. Do it if you don't need it all time..

Inspired by a.cid and mf2112 threads.

Enable Whatsapp *AUTO DOWNLOAD IMAGE OPTION* in new versions [TRICK] (2.9.**** versions and above)Difficulty --> *

If you have lost "Auto-download images" option.. Then you are not able to disable the auto download of images. So, to get back that option in Settings-->Chat Settings. You need to do these steps below:
Note: Make sure you have a working Whatsapp already before attempting this. That is you should have already passed the verification process etc and able to chat with others.

Step 1 : Make sure you have "Ticked" option "Unknown sources" under Settings-->Application Settings.
Step 2 : Download this old version Whatsapp and transfer it to click on the downloaded file. It will ask "Replace application"
Press "OK". Then, Press "Install" button. After install press "done".
Step 3 : Now, switch on "Airplane Mode" to "ON" by lidroid toggle or in Settings-->Wireless & network settings--> Flight mode "ON"
Step 4 : Go to Settings-->Date & Time.. Change date to any date/ November/ 2012. Now, open the Whatsapp.. You should see a old Whatsapp.
Inside Whatsapp, Go to settings-->Chat settings and now turn off "Auto-download mages" option by "unchecking" the tick box.
Step 5 : Now, install the new Whatsapp if you have a backup of the app and turn off "Airplane mode" and now you can also update from play store if you dont have a backup of latest version of Whatsapp.

Now open the new Whatsapp and see the option "Auto-download image" option.
maUw1F4.png

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Useful links to threads/guides section

NOTE: I am not adding any SGY forum threads here.. as we all can look into it easily.. I am adding only other forums thread links of XDA which are very useful to us. So please dont ask me to add SGY forum thread links here. And if you find any useful threads which are not similar to already mentioned thread.. Then PM me the link.. I will add it if its good. Thank you for reading!​
Thread Titles with links and info about it are below:

****XDA SITE RELATED THREADS****
[All XDA Members] Requests to Moderators and Admins --> Rather than sending a PM to an individual Moderator, please see this thread in need of Moderator or Admin assistance. They will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will reply without much delay.

XDA Android App - Problems / Bugs / Feature Requests etc. --> Report any faults you find with XDA app in this thread. You can also ask for new features, but cannot promise they will ever be delivered.

SPAM Users --> Any user Spamming in forums / threads? If you feel yes, then do go to this thread and report the user. Please give direct link to the users profile/posts which were spam so that it will help moderators.

[HOW TO]Make The Most Of The XDA App --> This is for all of you who use the app instead of desktop, but may not know how to do certain things.

I Will Post Your Question In The Dev Thread If.. --> Newbies not able to post in dev thread? Some report you want to get it there? Then check this thread to do exactly that!

Help Your Threads Get More Search Hits with Better Titles and Thread Tags! --> I have noticed that many threads do not have thread tags so I think most users don't know about them. This only works with
the XDA website, not the XDA app. Please read this thread to know more about tags which is a very useful method to get your thread popular!

Time Frame/Tell your story here on xda![Archive] --> Where we could talk about our years here at XDA. Lets see who is the oldest and what we have given to this forums.

Share your sig code please --> Very helpful to make your Signature look neat. Read this thread to make your signature better or if you have cool signature then post there.​
****GENERAL INFO THREADS****
[MOD][2.56] AROMA Installer :: 121004-031 :: Open Source --> The World's First ANDROID Touch And Customizable ROM/KERNEL/MODS Installer

List of devices: ARMv7, ARMv6, ARMv5 --> I found a really nice thread that will maybe, help some developers who need to port Roms or for another Reason.

[v6.13] Online Nandroid Backup / Nandroid Backup without re-booting

[HOW-TO] Set up SDK/ADB on Ubuntu 11.10 | 32 & 64 bits

[TUTORIAL]How to make your own Live Wallpaper

[Tutorial/How-To][GB] Make Your Own Custom Rom & Kernel (Last Updated 30/07/2012)
****ROM RELATED/INFO THREADS****​

ROM DEVELOPMENT THREADS:

[HOW TO] Beginners Guide to Android ROM Development

[Guide]Complete Android ROM development and essential tutorials ~~ By Nero Young ~~

[KITCHEN] Android Kitchen, v0.213 [Linux / Mac / Windows]

[Ultimate Guide][Part 10 released][12/11/2011]Android App Development - From Scratch

ROM MOD THREADS:
[UTILITY] Android Utility - [apktool|dex2jar|smali|more][Mac & Linux][Feb13, 2012]

[MOD][HOW-TO]To disable signature checks

[GUIDE] How to add TABS to Settings with swipe gesture... \m/

[GUIDE] ICS Style 'Settings.apk' - Make it yourself !! !!

[UTIL][Sept 2 2012] Apktool v1.5.0 - a tool for reverse engineering apk files

[IDE][M10] Virtuous Ten Studio - The next level of editing apps

[KITCHEN][01/22] UOT Kitchen (Ultimate Online Theme Kitchen) version 4.0

[MOD][15 Toggles] How to mod Lidroid framework

[APP][DEV] Update me [ROM MAKER] - 2.0.3 - PUSH NOTIFICATION - (updated 2012-09-13)

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Well, even though there are 2 kernel guides in our section.. Both are not complete.. So i thought of writing this.. a complete guide to make a kernel.
So, i'll keep updating this post as and when i get time to make it as good as possible..

Files Required:

1. You need to have Ubuntu or any other Linux distros.. But i recommend Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit as I'm using this version.
  2. Kernel source from http://opensource.samsung.com . Search for 5360 and download "GT-S5360_GB_Opensource_Update3.zip"
  3. Download Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-68 toolchain for ARM EABI from http://www.codesourcery.com/
    Note: It should be Linux version without installer arm-2009q3-68-arm-none-eabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2. Extract this file & you need to extract the file you got again to get "arm-2009q3" folder.
  4. Download mkbootimg_src.zip from http://d-h.st/xnT
  5. split_bootimg.pl is a perl script required to extract ramdisk from boot.img file. Or use dsixda or championswimmer's kitchen to extract it.
  6. Get ncurses-5.9 lib if you want to work with menuconfig..Link
  7. stock "boot.img" to extract ramdisk for your kernel.

Now that we have all the files required. Lets move on to next step of creating a Build Environment.

Build Environment Setup:
  • Make a folder. I'll call it "Kernel" folder here. You can name it whatever you want. Now, move the "arm-2009q3" folder inside this "kernel" folder. Extract mkbootimg_src.zip file and move "mkbootimg_src" folder inside "kernel" folder. Move "split_bootimg.pl" file under "kernel" folder too.

Last edited:

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
nice initiative but dont repeat any tuts which we already hav.. good luck!

lol.. i know mate.. thats y i didnt write till today even though i wanted to write.. see the index page.. almost all are my own findings.. but whenever if i added from others.. then i will add credits as always..

do tell me / crrect me if i am wrong anywhere lol

wcypierre

Apr 11, 2012
Hi, maybe you would like to incorporate my tool(AIOlog) in the retrieving logcat using computer as it works for Windows out of the box(provided that the driver is installed) :)

Reactions: Deadly

Deadly

Jul 19, 2012
Bangalore
OnePlus 5
Hi, maybe you would like to incorporate my tool(AIOlog) in the retrieving logcat using computer as it works for Windows out of the box(provided that the driver is installed) :)

OK.. thanks for the heads up.. I will see.. I don't know about your tool yet.. so I have to see how it works.. and I still have to write about PC log too..
Thanks for the heads up..

Sent from the MUST have app!

wcypierre

Apr 11, 2012
OK.. thanks for the heads up.. I will see.. I don't know about your tool yet.. so I have to see how it works.. and I still have to write about PC log too..
Thanks for the heads up..

Sent from the MUST have app!

Basically for now its more or less the same as the ones in the market, but if you try the latest dev version, it has multiple device support(able to do logging even if there's more than one device, usually the logging would fail if there's more than one device) and many other features that are to be implemented :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    If you got ANY questions? Feel free to ask here..
    [HELP THREAD]Any Questions? Anyone Can Ask here [GT-5360/5510/5512/6102]

VERY LENGTHY THREAD?? Difficult to read in app? Yes I know friends!! That's why added hide/spoiler button to each post & link to first post in every posts end

Hi, Everyone, This is a GUIDE to NEW / EXISTING users.. There are guides below for advanced users too.. So i have shared my experience at XDA with you all to make others understand and help each other.
    If you want to know something/ want me to include a topic here, please PM me.. I will see if i can help with that and write about it.

Hopefully this will help many of you, Now READ ON.. Click On "SHOW CONTENT" Button to See the content on each posts below!

DIFFICULTY LEVELS: It tells you how much difficult it is for you to do the task described below. See the headings of guides in every post to see difficulty of that task.

* --> Very Easy
    ** --> Easy
    *** --> Moderate
    **** --> Difficult
    ***** --> Very Difficult​
    INDEX OF THIS THREAD:

Abbreviations/Acronyms used in XDA (Android language) [SEE 2ND POST]

* Simple methods to get LOGCAT, DMESG [SEE 3RD POST]

* CWM MD5SUM mismatch error while restoring? Solution for this: [SEE 4TH POST]

* How to use SDCARD instead of internal storage for apps[LINK2SD] [SEE 5TH POST]

* Detailed steps to install Stock rom/Firmware through ODIN [SEE 6TH POST]

* ROM installations instructions [IN GENERAL] [SEE 7TH POST]

* Kernel installations instructions [IN GENERAL] [SEE 8TH POST]

* How to deodex a stock rom in easy way using DSIXDA Kitchen [SEE 9TH POST]

* USEFUL LINKS TO THREADS/GUIDES SECTION [SEE 11TH POST/1ST POST OF 2ND PAGE]​

MISCELLANEOUS: [SEE 10TH POST]
    * Thread Title tags confusing? Its explained here!

* Why give "Thanks"? Thanks meter explained!

* Stars, User Titles: Junior, Member, Senior Member........? Read to know more!

* XDA/TAPATALK app image uploading problems??

* Make your Thread/Post Aligned(Neat) by using BBCODE TAGS

* Battery Drain?? Read these tips to avoid it.

* Enable Whatsapp *AUTO DOWNLOAD IMAGE OPTION* in new versions [TRICK]​

PLANNED GUIDES ARE:[12th POST]
    How to make a kernel--Writing in progress

How to get 10 without spamming / complaining!!
    How to modify apps background,looks etc.

CREDITS :
    • To all my friends and xda members who gave me info to learn about these things.
    • To anmolsharma1293, deathnotice01, jaison thomas, kidcarter93, lavadepa, MNgez, nikufellow, tjsgy, wcypierre who gave suggestions and info and tips to improve this guide.
    • To The-Captain our moderator for helping us to improve ourselves, learn more and being kind to new users too.

Credits are added to respective people in the posts related to them whenever i have taken info / used their work[if not done, i will do it soon]. Informations obtained from other threads have been added in the posts related to it and i have done it with the permission of the thread OP. If i have forgotten someone's name please do let me know, and i will add it ASAP..

And please tell me any suggestions to improve this guide to help newbies/noobs as this guide should help all of us to get better at things we can do with an android. PLEASE REPORT ME ANY MISTAKES IF I HAVE MADE IN WRITING THE GUIDE/ IF THERE IS A WRONG INFORMATION.. I WILL CORRECT IT ASAP..

If i missed anyones credit, please forgive me and let me know.. and i will add it as soon as i can, promise!
    Thank you.
    Abbreviations/Acronyms used in XDA (Android language)

The reason for this guide is that many new users would have difficulty to understand what are these short forms.. everyone says cwm, rom, cm, etc.. but no one says what it is.. and you may feel a bit shy/embarrassed to ask them what it is. So here is my attempt to cover them..

Please do let me know in PM if some words are missing and you want them to be covered.. i will gladly add them, thank you.
    This Post is an inspiration from mrhaley30705's thread & Diablo67 thread.

Use CTRL+F to find a specific term.Difficulty --> *

XDA RELATED ACRONYMS

DEV: Developer
    ERD: Elite Recognized Developer
    FM/FSM: Forum Moderator/Forum Specific Moderator
    RC: Recognized Contributor
    RD: Recognized Developer
    RT: Recognized Themer
    SM: Senior Moderator

GENERAL
    AFAIK: As Far As I Know

ATM - At the moment

BTDT - Been there done that

CRACK: The password / product key / license key illegally used for unauthorized usage are known as a crack of the software . Also please read the warning posted at warez meaning below. The same applies to cracks

ETA - Estimated time of arrival.. Note: Asking ETA in dev section is a big NO NO..!!

FTFY: Fixed that for you

FTW - For the win

FWIW: For what it's worth

FYI: For Your Information

IBTL/IB4L - In before the lock / In Before Lock

IDK: I Dont Know (Thats what it means and i am not saying i dont know about IDK!!)

IIRC - If I recall / remember correctly

IRC - Internet Relay Chat

LOL - Laugh out loud

NEWBIE: Someone who is new to this field/ forum and wants to learn how to do it rather than say "NOT WORKING! FIX IT!".

NOOB: Someone who is new and doesn't want to learn "HOW" its done, just want to "USE" the end product. So, please guys dont be a noob, be a newbie!

OP: Short for Original Poster, or the person who originally started the thread.

OT - Off Topic

PM: Short for Private Message. Allows users of XDA to send and receive non-public messages. Accessed from USER CP.

P.S: stands for Post Script. It is used when u wrote a message on a postcard and u forgot to mention an important information.*

ROFL - Roll on floor laughing

RTL: Right To Left support (In Some languages you have to start reading from right and end towards left side.. as against to usual method of reading from left to right)

SMH: Shake my head

STH: Something

TBH: To Be Honest

TIA: Thanks In Advance

THREAD: An individual issue page on the forum. This thing you're reading is a thread.

TLDR: Too long to read

TM: stands for Trademark.

USER CP: Short for User Control Panel. This button near the top of the XDA page allows users to update their avatar, personal information, and signature. PMs and subscribed threads can also be checked in this location.

WARES/WAREZ: Warez refers primarily to copyrighted works distributed without fees or royalties, and may be traded, in general violation of copyright law. To make it simple, it is any app/software which has to be paid to use them, but are used without paying any money.. PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS NOT TOLERATED AT XDA. SO PLEASE DONT POST WARES ANYWHERE ON XDA FORUMS. YOU WILL GET BANS/INFRACTIONS IF YOU DO SO!

ANDROID DEVICE RELATED:
    ADB: Android Debug Bridge, a utility to run on a PC to allow connection to and control of an Android device. Part of the Android Software Development Kit (SDK), it allows for ROOT-level access to the Android device from a computer.

AOSP: Short for Android Open Source Project. The open-sourced code from which individuals can build new distributions of Android.

APK: An Android executable file, similar to the .exe file in Windows. Most programs will install with a .apk file.

Apps2SD:A method of storing applications and cache on the device's microSD card.

Bloatware: Software or 'apps' that you don't need, but come preinstalled to a device's /system partition, meaning that you cannot remove them unless the device has been rooted

Boot Animation: Boot animation is a term for a graphical representation of the boot process of the operating system. After you switch on / reboot phone you see this.

BOOTLOADER: There are two of these; the primary and secondary bootloaders. These programs tell the Android device how to start up, and are critical to its functionality.

Bootloop: When your system recycles over and over without entering the main OS.

BRICK/(HARD BRICK): An Android device that is completely non-responsive, i.e. nothing lights up, the screen does nothing, no combination of button presses cause any reaction. Can only be restored by JTAG or warranty service.

BUILD.PROP: A plain text file which contains environmental variables for the system to use during operation. Can be hacked to fake a different model for increased functionality, among many other operations. It is also used to make tweaks to boost speed/performance, etc.

BUSYBOX: An application that contains many standard Unix tools.

BUTTON COMBO/THREE BUTTON COMBO: The act of pressing several buttons at the same time to produce a desired result (e.g. press and hold volume up+home button+power button for 10 seconds will reboot into the RECOVERY menu at any movement when phone is on or Press and hold volume down+power button+home button to get into ODIN mode/DOWNLOAD mode).

Cache:A component that transparently stores data so that future requests for that data can be served faster.

CM: Short for CyanogenMod. CyanogenMod is an Android build built from the Android Open Source Project, and its builds are usable on multiple different Android Devices.

CPU: It stands for Central Processing Unit and handles all the complex mathematical formulas necessary to do everyday things like surfing the Internet.

CSC - File with Carrier Customizations

Custom bin counter: A line of code in several Samsung Galaxy devices' bootloaders that counts the number of times a user uses ODIN to flash ROMS/KERNELS to the device. Commonly used to detect software modification. This is called custom bin down in ODIN mode and it should be 0 to claim warranty. Can be reset with GALAXY TOOLBOX APP by Doky73

Custom: Independent developers who like to customize their devices beyond the standard options provided often tend to release the fruits of their labor for the rest to enjoy, in form of custom ROMs.

CWM: Short for ClockWorkMod Recovery Menu. This is a program that allows you to install custom ROMS/KERNELS as well as do many other customizations. Often referred to as the "RECOVERY MENU"/"CWM"

DALVIK CACHE: The collection of program information stored for use by the DALVIK program. This can be cleared from the RECOVERY menu to resolve issues with the Android OS.

DALVIK: The Android operating system's memory management tool. This program handles which other programs are running and assigns memory to them

DEODEXED: Removing the .odex files from an APK file. The .odex files contain a list of dependencies for the associated file, and if something changes, the .odex (and similarly, the associated file) not longer function correctly.

DMESG: dmesg (for "display message") is a command on some Unix-like operating systems that prints the message buffer of the kernel..

DOWNLOAD MODE: Read Button combo to know about this.

EFS: The directory /efs on the Android device's internal storage. Contains files with the Android device's IMEI, wireless devices MAC addresses, product code, and other information..

EMMC: Short for Embedded MultiMediaCard. A chip architecture consisting of an embedded storage solution with MMC interface, flash memory and controller, all in a small ball grid array package.

EXT4: A journaling file system (e.g. NTFS, FAT32 are file systems) often used by Linux distributions. Can be used with Android.

EXTERNAL SD: A micro SD card that has been inserted in the micro SD slot in the Android device. Can be removed.

FACTORY RESET: This will remove all user customizations in the Android OS, returning it to a factory state. Note: This will not wipe the Internal SD card. It will just make it as a phone just bought from the store state.

FC/FORCE CLOSE: When a program on the Android device becomes unstable/gets an error, the DALVIK program will force it to terminate to prevent further system instability which appears as a Force Close message usually in phone.

FLASHING: The act of writing code to the Android device. ROMs, MODEMs, KERNELs, and BOOTLOADERs can all be flashed. Independent from, and having nothing to do with, Adobe's Flash product.

FREEZE: Specific to LINK2SD/TITANIUM BACKUP. Using these 2 apps, the user changes a program into a non-functional, but still installed, state. Useful for identifying problem and FCs.

gapps - Google Applications, like GMail, Calendar, Maps, G+, etc

GB - Gingerbread, AKA Android OS 2.3.X

GOVERNOR: A program that interacts with the device hardware to increase or decrease the processor's clock speed (e.g. at low usage, it will set the processor speed to 400 MHz, but as usage increases, it would scale up to 1000 MHz).

HSUPA/HSDPA: Short for High Speed (Up/Down) Packet Access. This is 3G+, and is the Android device's internet speed level between 3G and 4G.

ICS: Short for Ice Cream Sandwich, the Android OS version 4.0.x.

IMEI: Short for International Mobile Equipment Identity. A unique number to identify GSM, WCDMA, and iDEN phones. Used by GSM networks to identify valid devices.

INTERNAL SD: The internal storage memory of the Android device. Not a physical SD card that can be removed.

JB: Short for Jelly Bean, the Android OS version 4.1.x.

JIG: A piece of hardware that makes a physical connection between pins of the USB slot to force the Android device into DOWNLOAD mode.

JTAG: A process of connecting directly to the main board of the Android device to rewrite corrupted BOOTLOADERS.

KERNEL: The kernel is a program that constitutes the central core of a computer operating system. It has complete control over everything that occurs in the system.

LAST_KMESG: last_kmsg is a dump of the printk statements from the kernel before the operating system itself crashed.
    LAUNCHER: A program that launches programs in Android. Examples are Touchwiz (Samsung), HOLO Launcher, Launcher Pro, ADW Launcher, and Go Launcher EX.

LCD Density: Pixel density is a measurement of the resolution of devices in various contexts; typically computer displays, image scanners, and digital camera image sensors.

LOGCAT: A command to view messages in one of the system logs. See Android logger.

LTE: Stands for Long Term Evolution. It is based on the GSM/EDGE and UMTS/HSPA network technologies, increasing the capacity and speed using a different radio interface together with core network improvements.

MAI77 method: Its only known here. So dont say this out of SGY forum. This is a method to flash kernel through CWM using Kernel flasher tool made by MAI77. Its basically you have kernel flasher tool and boot.img file in SDCARD root and you select kernel flasher tool in CWM and it will install boot.img file which is the kernel you selected.

MD5 CHECKSUM: A 32-digit (128-bit) hash number generated by a cryptographic program to ensure that a downloaded file matches the original file. The original file is run through the MD5 generator program, which creates the 32-bit number. This number is checked against the md5 number created with the file the end user receives to ensure file integrity.

MIUI: A Chinese built-from-source ROM. Short for "Mobile Internet User Interface". Also can refer to the MIUI music player, which has been included in other ROMs.

Mod: The act of modifying a piece of hardware or software or anything else for that matter, to perform a function not originally conceived or intended by the designer.

MODEM: The software that interfaces with the phone's radio hardware to connect to cell phone towers.

NANDROID BACKUP: A complete system image backup of the Android device except for the MODEM and KERNEL. Can be accessed from CWM.

ODEX: A file that is associated with an APK file, containing a list of the dependencies for the program. See also DEODEXED.

ODIN: A Samsung proprietary program that allows the Android device to be flashed back to stock or with custom software.

OVERCLOCKING/OC: Setting the processor's clock speed to run faster than its default setting, i.e. 1248 MHz (1.2 GHz) vs 832 MHz (Default)

OTA - Over-the-Air (usually used as "OTA update" for firmware updates that can be installed directly via 3G/4G/Wi-Fi without the need of an PC)

PIT FILE: Short for Partition Information Table file. One of the possible file types used while flashing with ODIN or HEIMDALL.

Port: To Take a rom or app from one phone and program it to work on a different one.

Ram: (Random Access Memory) A group of memory chips, typically of the dynamic RAM (DRAM) type, which function as the computer's primary workspace.

RECOVERY: The menu that allows a user to do many low-level operations on the Android Device. This menu can either be the stock Samsung menu, or the CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY MENU (CWM). See also CWM.

RFS: A Samsung-proprietary file system (e.g. NTFS, FAT32 are file systems) used on some Android devices. Stands for Robust File System.

RIL - Radio Interface Layer

ROM: The collection of programs, themes, and settings that create the general look-and-feel of your Android device. This is what most users will initially be wanting to change. Or custom ROM firmware file, Can also refer to a Read-only memory.

ROOT: Changing the permission level of the Android system to its most powerful level, the root user, allowing full access to the file system. More like Administrator permission in Windows OS.

SGY /SGYD /SGYP /SGYPD : Samsung Galaxy Y / Samsung Galaxy Y Duos / Samsung Galaxy Y Pro/ Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duos

Sideloading: It means installing applications without using the official Android Market.

SOFT BRICK: A device that is not functioning correctly, but still shows some signs of operation. See also BRICK.

STOCK: The Android software version that comes installed on new devices, prior to sale to the user. Can also be used to refer to the Android software issued from Samsung or the carrier.

Superuser/SU: On many computer operating systems, the superuser is a special user account used for system administration. Depending on the operating system, the actual name of this account might be: root, administrator or supervisor.

TETHER: Connecting the Android device to a computer via a wired or wireless connection to allow the transfer of data through the Android device's internet connection. Commonly used to provide internet access to a laptop or desktop computer when other methods are not desired or available.

THEME: A collection of images, backgrounds, colors, font types, and other visual items to change the Android device's look and feel. Separate from LAUNCHER, and is usually FLASHed in CWM.

TWRP2 - an alternate recovery mode for your phone

UNDERVOLTING/UV: Setting the voltage levels drawn by the Android device to a lower level to reduce overall battery usage.

Updater Script: When Android devices install updates via CWM/recovery mode they have to perform a wide range of functions on files and permissions. The scripting language is called Edify and is defined primarily in the bootable/recovery/{edify,edifyscripting,updater} directories of the Android source-code tree.

WCDMA: Short for Wideband Code Division Multiple Access. An air interface standard in 3G mobile communications networks that allows higher speeds and more users.

ZIPALIGNED: An archive alignment tool that provides important optimization to APK files. The purpose is to ensure that all uncompressed data starts with a particular alignment relative to the start of the file. Reduces RAM consumption.

Simple methods to get LOGCAT, DMESG

Devs asking you to get a logcat and give?? Yes it helps a lot for devs if you give logcat to solve problem. So dont wait till devs ask you to get a logcat! Just give them a logcat when you tell them this/that doesnt work. This way theirs and yours time will be saved and unnecessary posts will be avoided. Now i will give you simple steps to do it. There are two main ways to do a logcat, 1. within android device, and 2. through adb using PC.​
    WITHIN ANDROID DEVICE METHOD:

This i learnt from paxChristos from his thread.
    • 1. Logcat within android device can be done in one of two ways, through a Logcat app: Difficulty --> *
      Here are two good apps: aLogcat or Catlog
      Both of these programs can dump their logs to a text file, which is very useful for debugging. Or, you can do it in terminal emulator (same rules as running through adb(see below))

• 2. Through Terminal method: Difficulty --> **
    • Install Android Terminal Emulator app from Play Store..
    • Open terminal app you just installed..
    • Enter these commands:
    • After every command press ENTER/SUBMIT button
      Code:
      su
    • then accept the superuser popup message[it comes only first time if you select checkbox "remember the choice"]
      Code:
      Or use this command:

The -v long puts the text in a nice format that is more easily readable. The *:W will search for all warnings, errors, and fatals, while the *:S will silence everything else.
      So essentially, u will have a .txt file that has a log of all warnings and up, nothing else, and it'll look pretty too!
      Code:
    • now press home button to minimize the terminal..
    • and do the task which is giving problems/ whichever task log you need to give to dev..
    • then drag the notification bar..
    • select terminal app in it..
    • now press and hold "Volume down button" and touch c button on keyboard.
    • This will stop the command..
    • now use this command twice
      Code:
      exit
    • Now app will get closed. go to sdcard to find test.log file.. upload it to here so that dev can access it..

Thank you for reading it with patience :) hope you can get logcat now..

Note: if you are stuck in boot and want to take logcat.. READ LOGCAT FROM ADB METHOD BELOW.. the above one is simple method for these tasks for eg.. if you are having some force close of app/lag etc.. then after entering second command press enter and then use home button to minimize terminal.. dont worry it will take log.. now open that app and once it gives force close then click on it and then open terminal again and press volume down button + c to terminate command.. then use exit command two times... done.. now go to sdcard and find a.txt file

From PC[i.e, ADB] LOGCAT METHOD :Difficulty --> ***

There is an advantage here. As doing this way, you can start using logcat when your device boots. There are 2 ways here again..

PREPARATION:
    • In your android device, go to settings --> applications --> development -->
    • Check USB Debugging
    • Make sure your device driver is already installed otherwise install kies software which will install drivers too.. Get kies from This LINK
    • You need to download this ADB.zip file i made to your system.. Download link
    • Extract the ADB.zip file from any applications like IZarc/7Zip/winzip/winrar.

ADB USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
    • Then go to Android folder.. inside that you should find 3 files.. Now open a command prompt or terminal in that path..(wherever you extracted it.. use cd command)
      Code:
      adb logcat > filename.txt
      Or
      Code:
      Or
      Code:
    • Now perform tasks in android device of which you need to give logcat for the devs. Then use CTRL+C to end the command.
    • Now find the filename.txt inside the Android folder which has logcat. Upload this file and give link to dev..
    Or There is another method called All in one logger tool by wcypierre which can get you logcat and dmesg. I have not tested it myself. But i am sure it will work and you can go to that thread and ask your queries about that tool if you want to use that. The dev will help you gladly. So, please thank him for his nice work.
    The full list of options that can be used with logcat command is as follows:
    • V — Verbose (lowest priority)
    • D — Debug
    • I — Info (default priority)
    • W — Warning
    • E — Error
    • F — Fatal
    • S — Silent (highest priority, on which nothing is ever printed)

You can replace the *:W with any other letter from above to get more info.

From PC[i.e, ADB] GET DMESG:Difficulty --> ***

Note: You will need adb access for this to work, same as logcat. Read PREPARATIONS above to find adb files required and related setup.

What this will do is get us live kernel output so we can know things like "What driver is the kernel loading {or not loading for that matter}" and similar things.

Go to Android folder.. inside that you should find 3 files.. Now open a command prompt or terminal in that path..(wherever you extracted it.. use cd command)
    Code:
    adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt
    To get last_kmsg:
    Code:
     adb shell cat /proc/last_kmsg > kmsg.txt
    From Android Device GET DMESG:Difficulty --> **
    You can also get the dmesg by using terminal emulator.
    Code:
    dmesg > /sdcard/dmesg.txt
    To get last_kmsg:
    Code:
     cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
    FOR APP DEVS / ADVANCED USERS ONLY! LOGCAT INSTRUCTIONS:
    Thanks to jaison thomas for this method! NOTE: I have not tested this. sorry. But it will definitely work. I edited the quoted message to make it simple. :)
    jaison thomas said:
    log cat using eclipse, i thought it will be simple for advanced users who are into app development.
    I will guide how it works
    1) install samsung kies in your pc
    2) turn on usb debugging in phone.
    3) install android plugin for eclipse .
    4) now on eclipse click on "window" --> "show view" --> "other" --> "android" --> "log cat". Then click "ok".
    Thats it .logcat window will be shown in lower bottom side of eclipse.it is having a green color icon. Also there may be a chance of logcat window minimised in eclipse.do look for a green icon.
    5) now conect ur phone using datacable u can see all the things happening inside the phone in log cat window in eclipse.

NOTE: if you couldnt find android under other option.. Do this:
    u didnt install android plugin for eclipse do as follows to install android plugin for eclipse.
    1) click on help
    2)click on install new software
    3) then click on add.
    4)then you will get a text box with name and location. in name text box type android or any thing,
    in the location copy paste this
    https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/ and press ok,
    5)In the Available Software dialog, select all check boxes and click Next.
    6)In the next window, you'll see a list of the tools to be downloaded. Click Next.
    7)Read and accept the license agreements, then click Finish.
    8)If you get a security warning saying that the authenticity or validity of the software can't be established, click OK.
    9)When the installation completes, restart Eclipse.

How to use SDCARD instead of internal storage for apps[LINK2SD]

Difficulty --> **
    Welcome to LINK2SD app friends!
    Easiest app to install and use to extend your internal memory.

What it does?
    It creates a symbolic link file(more like shortcut in windows) for apps in internal memory which will point to the real app which will be saved in your sdcard second partition! It mounts the second partition of your SD card as /data/sdext2 and makes OS mounts it at boot time.
    It can also move user apps to SD card (force move), with batch moving (multiple apps moving at once) capability.
    That feature uses Android's standard SD-card installation feature and does not require a second partition. It can break some apps if they are not meant to be moved to the SD card (Such as Widgets).​
    Preparations:
    * You need to have root permission/access[Rooted phone]
    * A second partition on your SD card. You should have two partitions on SD card and both should be primary.
    * The second partition is used for application files and can be ext2, ext3, ext4 or FAT32 (I prefer FAT32 and no issues i have seen, see note below to know why?).
    Note:
    1. The second partition will not be accessible through windows OS as it recognises only first partition on removable devices. In Linux you can access second partition too!
    2. ext4 is the latest ext format but several ROMs/Kernels have issues with it while fewer have issues with ext3 and ext2. FAT works on all ROMs.

Steps to make 2nd Partition in SDCARD:
    • Connect phone to PC using USB Cable. Make sure your device driver is already installed otherwise install kies software which will install drivers too.. Get kies from This LINK
    • Now drag the notification bar from status bar in phone and select "USB Connected" messasge.
    • Then select "Connect USB storage" button.
    • Once it is connected, Make a backup of sdcard first to PC(Copy all files inside sdcard to any fodler in PC). Otherwise you will loose data in sdcard.
    • Now open "MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition" download it from This LINK
      This tool is compatible with Windows 2000/XP/Vista & Windows 7. Or Use "Gparted" tool for linux users Or "iPartiton" for Mac users.
    • Note: this partition manager QUEUES the operations. So nothing is deleted and changed UNTIL you click "APPLY" and then confirm by clicking "OK".
    • Make sure you are deleting partition on SD card! (not your hard disk for example). Dont be afraid, just read everything and think twice before selecting correct drive. Do you see three gray icons on the bottom? Under each of them the capacity of each drive is listed, and SD CARD has slightly different icon. Check the sdcard capacity given in the window to select the proper one.
    • select "Create As": PRIMARY on the sdcard partition. Choose whatever size(leave some space which we will use for apps partition) you want for sdcard( to have your music, personal files, etc.).
    • Select "File System:" FAT32
    • select the second partition below the one you just created which will have the space left when partitioning the first partition.
    • Select "File System:" FAT32 (YOU can use Ext2, Ext3, Ext4 also.) But my suggestion is please use FAT32. You wont have problems as all ROMS/KERNELS support fat32 by default!
    • Click "apply" button on top left corner. Partitions will be created and card will be formatted.
    • Now put your files back to sdcard and disconnect from PC.
    NOTE: You can also use CWM partition option. If you want to use CWM partition method to partition your sdcard then see here. I have never tried this method. So i cannot help you with that.
    Steps to install and use link2sd[2.2.3 version]:

• Let the media scanner finish the scanning process, then open link2sd app and you will see a pop up menu "Select the file system of your SD card's second partition"
    • Choose your partition type for "second partition" you created while partitioning, say you choose "FAT32/FAT16" then your sdcard second partition should be FAT32/FAT16 which is nothing but FAT or vFAT.
    • Now Press OK. After 2-10 seconds you will see another pop up menu "Restart your phone" Press "OK" (message goes like this "Mount script created, please restart your phone to mount the second partition of your SD card.")
    • Now do a reboot of your phone.
    • Link2SD successfully installed.

To make space inside internal memory-->

* Now open LINK2SD app and you will see three buttons on top bar. click on the first button from left side. you will see:
    * All --> It will show you all the apk/app files in your phone (130+/- apps)
    * System --> It will show you all the system apps in phone (100+/- apps)(stored in system memory)
    * User --> It will show you all the User apps(i.e, installed by you) in your phone (30+/- apps)(stored in internal & sdcard & second partition memory)
    * Linked --> It will show you all the linked apps in your phone (it wont show any now)(stored in your sdcard second partition memory)
    * On SD card --> It will show you all the user apps (10+/- apps)(stored in your sdcard first partition. usual sdcard method)
    * On internal --> It will show you all the user apps (10+/- apps)(stored in your sdcard first partition. usual sdcard method)
    * Frozen --> It will show you all the apps that have been stopped. This is a method same as Titanium backup app "freeze" method. It makes your app invisible to phone. I.e, it will be installed and ready to use.. but you wont see it anywhere in launcher and if you click on a shortcut of such "frozen" app it will say "app not installed" or such message.​
    * Now select options button in phone, then select "Multi-Select". Now press "select all" option.

* Now press "Actions" button. In new pop up window select "Create link"

* Now in new page which appears, select all 3 options to link application, dalvik-cache, library files. Then press "ok" button and wait till the process ends. It will take time depending upon how many apps you have. around say 5 minutes.

* Now go to linked option from top bar first button from left side. and see al the apps having linked->sdacrd tag on them which means they are now in sdcard second partition..

*Long press on any app to view more options.

NOTE: 1. you cannot move link2sd app from internal memory. It is better to keep it there.
    2. System applications should not be linked to SD card. Link2SD does not allow these applications to be linked.
    3. Link2SD does not move application's private data directory; it moves apk, dex (dalvik-cache) and lib files.
    4. Do not move keyboard apps to system memory. they wont work.

Advantages:

1. When you connect your phone to PC as mass storage, Android unmounts FAT partition but the second partition remains mounted in phone. Therefore linked applications are not affected and can be run without problems even when you have access through pc to sdcard.

2. You can use this app to uninstall system apps, move user apps to system apps or system apps to user apps.

3. You can integrate new updates of system apps which will be stored in internal memory to system apps. But please note: You should free the app first and then move them to/from system always for safety of apps so that they wont give FC. If some apps did gave FC after moving please restart the phone.

4. You can use clear cache, dalvik-cache, 2nd partition options. They wont harm your apps, they will remove only unwanted files.

Troubleshooting / Error occurance chances:
    Question : When I click on "Move to SD card", I see a progress bar for 2-3 seconds and then:
    pkg:/data/app/com.mobisystems.editor.office_registrered-1.apk Failure
    [INSTALL_FAILED_INSUFFICIENT_STORAGE]

Answer : Your problem is a simple one.. your internal memory is low..

What link2sd actually does is.. first it moves the files to internal memory and then it sends to 2nd partition.. so you are having issues because.. say the apk file is 20 MB.. and your internal memory is around 20/less MB free.. So, it will give that error even if the second partition is totally empty..

For a work around to this.. you can make backup from titanium or just backup with any app.. then uninstall some apps.. then move that big app.. then reinstall these..

Hope your doubts are solved.. Enjoy the awesome app!

Apps Original thread link and the credit goes to RD bakpinar. So do thank him for this awesome app. You can also donate the dev by visiting his original thread.

CWM MD5SUM mismatch error while restoring? Solution for this:

Difficulty --> **
    If you have made a nandroid backup and we never actually test whether it works/not.. So, some day when you need to restore it.. you get an error while restoring that "md5sum mismatch" restore aborted!! Then you are in a really bad situation right?? Wrong.. Do this.. and the problem should be solved..

You need to edit nandroid.md5 file stored in /sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/"backup name"/nandroid.md5
    NOTE: backup name is usually date and time of your backup/ you could have renamed it to some name.

You need terminal emulator app. Download from play store (android terminal emulator)

• Open terminal emulator app and input these commands..
      Code:
      cd sdcard/clockworkmod/backup/2012-09-30.03.18.47
    • NOTE: Change 2012-09-30.03.18.47 to the name of your folder
    • To See what file extensions need to be included. type
      Code:
      ls
      ( lowercase "L") and hit enter.
    • This will list everything inside your current directory (backup files of that particular backup)
    • To make sure there is no nandroid.md5 file existing already, enter this command:
      Code:
      rm nandroid.md5
    • Now to make a new nandroid.md5 file
      Code:
      md5sum *tar > nandroid.md5
    • Now its ready to be used in restore inside CWM..

NOTE: USE this procedure to repair nandroid md5sum mismatch error if you are getting this on a backup which has not been modified. If you have opened the backup files to modify the files inside. Its not advised to do this. So, please take note of this.

Special Thanks to cynnar for this idea. i tweaked it to our device from his post.