Guide: How to bootloader unlock your Honor 5X (official and unofficial methods)

Search This thread

paulobrien

Nov 6, 2003
Norwich
www.MoDaCo.com
All Honor devices currently shipped with a locked bootloader. As long as manufacturers provide a way to unlock, then we're down with that - it helps keep your device secure and means that if you lose it, it's harder for people to steal your data (the process of unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone).

There are two ways to unlock your Honor phones bootloader, which will then allow you to install things like custom recoveries, custom kernels / ROMs etc. The first is using the official Honor method, which is free, and the second is using a third party, which costs €4 Euros, but may be the quickest option if the official method isn't working for you.

The official method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the official method, complete the following steps:

1. Visit https://www.emui.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail and either create a new account or login with an existing Huawei account.
  2. In the form displayed after logging in, enter:
    1. Your phone model (KIW-L21 for the Honor 5X)
    2. Your phone serial number (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
    3. Your phone IMEI1 (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
    4. Your phone product ID (to find this, open the dialler and enter *#*#1357946#*#*)
    5. The captcha code
  3. Press the 'Submit' button.
  4. At this point you will either be provided with a code, or you will receive an error such as 'The Huawei ID used to apply for the unlock code has not been used on the device for more than 14 days.' If you get the error, you will need to use the unofficial method below.
  5. Open a command window on your PC / Mac, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
  6. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
  7. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
  8. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
  9. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
  10. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the Huawei site.
  11. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
  12. That's it! You're done!

terminalsquash.png

The unofficial method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the unofficial method, if for example you receive the '14 day' error from the Huwei site, complete the following steps:

1. On a Windows PC, download and install DC-unlocker from https://www.dc-unlocker.com/.
  2. On your phone, enter Manufacturer Mode - open the dialler and enter *#*#2846579#*#*. In the app that then opens, select Project Menu -> Background settings -> USB ports settings -> Manufacturer Mode.
  3. Download the Huawei driver pack from https://files.dc-unlocker.com/share.html?v=share/88D4A98C154D4E19AF9D4A1EF09BA620.
  4. Install the Huawei driver pack by extracting the file you just downloaded (using WinRAR or similar) and running 'DriverSetup'
  5. After installing the driver pack, connect your phone to the PC. In Device Manager, after the automated driver install, you should have no 'Unknown Devices'.
  6. Launch the previously downloaded DC-unlocker application.
  7. From the drop down lists, select 'Huawei Phones' and 'Auto Detect Model'.
  8. Press the magnifying glass icon - the app will then search for your phone.
  9. You should see an image like the one below showing your phone is found. At this point, press the 'Buy Credits' option to set up your DC-Unlocker account and purchase the 4 credits required for code retrieval (this will cost €4). You can also do this directly from the DC-Unlocker website.
  10. After your credit purchase is complete, click the 'Server' section and enter your new DC-unlocker login details. Press 'Check Login' to validate the details (if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts).
  11. Click the 'Unlocking' section, and click 'Read Bootloader Code'. Do NOT click 'Unlock'. Again, if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts. The white area of the app will now display the bootloader code. Screen grab this just in case!
  12. Open a command window on your PC, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
  13. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
  14. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
  15. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
  16. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
  17. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the DC-Unlocker process.
  18. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
  19. That's it! You're done!

dcunlocker1squash.png
dcunlocker2squash.png

Last edited:

Inpain

Aug 22, 2011
Kuwait
by unlocking the bootloader with official method, will i lose warrenty ? will i get OTA update ?

Unlocking the bootloader will not void your warranty, and yes you will get OTAs :)

If you flash a custom recovery and root, THAT will void your warranty and you will not be able to get OTAs unless you relock the bootloader and go back to stock everything :)

elry567

Jan 7, 2011
Unlocking the bootloader will not void your warranty, and yes you will get OTAs :)

If you flash a custom recovery and root, THAT will void your warranty and you will not be able to get OTAs unless you relock the bootloader and go back to stock everything :)

U can still get OTAs with unlocked bootloader?

Reactions: kartrikpal

tomohodak

Mar 12, 2016
[*]In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
[*]In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the Huawei site.

For Linux users (Mint 17.3 in my case), right after adb reboot bootloader, watch when the phone restarts, I had to unplug usb cable.
Only then my phone was recognized with sudo fastboot devices. After plugging the cable back in, ofcourse.
It was also nowhere to be found in lsusb.
Before that I could not do fastboot oem unlock..

EDIT: Just flashed TWRP, problem seems to be in front usb panel on my pc case.
When I plug phone in the back of my pc, works fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: paulobrien

EarlyMon

Jun 23, 2010
Hey Paul, many thanks for the tip (and your wealth of contributions over the years)!

Can you comment on how pernicious the server busy thing is with DC Unlocker?

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011

Are you sure?? Unlocking bootloader will not void your warranty ??
This attach pic is from official huwei support !!! Read the last lines

Attachments

• 1458988464193.jpg
    1458988464193.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,686
Reactions: mdiaz33685

chrisdotjan

Jul 1, 2011
For those who don't reach the US unlock site: just use chrome to translate the asian site and get the unlock code from there. It works fine!

Reactions: austenfan

Zakaria.R

Aug 2, 2015
It know that... But assuming that he don't know so I quoted him

Yeah I got you there, I was solidifying your point, there aren't many oems that are developer friendly out there, so yes you can unlock the bootloader and you can receive otas but that's pretty much it, that's why many users relock it before taking their phones to customer service.

EarlyMon

Jun 23, 2010

The last lines say that you will be held accountable for things broken as a result of unlocking your bootloader - (and I quote) in the event that it cannot be recovered.

That's pretty standard language and it doesn't say specifically that "unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty" - because consumer protection laws vary a lot by country.

It does say that if you brick your phone and it can't be recovered you're going to be charged.

Anything that can be disputed in a gray area they'll probably put on you. But I don't know that because I'm not a lawyer and if I were, I'm not your lawyer.

~~~~~

Meanwhile, after weeks of having even the Chinese site time out on one of my other Huaweis (my honor5x is already unlocked) I tried DC Unlocker and it worked just fine - five of my friends tried it and they're happy too. Many thanks for the tip, Paul! :)

Reactions: paulobrien

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011
Yeah I got you there, I was solidifying your point, there aren't many oems that are developer friendly out there, so yes you can unlock the bootloader and you can receive otas but that's pretty much it, that's why many users relock it before taking their phones to customer service.

The last lines say that you will be held accountable for things broken as a result of unlocking your bootloader - (and I quote) in the event that it cannot be recovered.

That's pretty standard language and it doesn't say specifically that "unlocking your bootloader voids your warranty" - because consumer protection laws vary a lot by country.

It does say that if you brick your phone and it can't be recovered you're going to be charged.

Anything that can be disputed in a gray area they'll probably put on you. But I don't know that because I'm not a lawyer and if I were, I'm not your lawyer.
Well yeah brother you are right.

Now second thing, except very rare case like HTC are unlocked by revolutionary methods apart from HTC dev, and being a device most of em apart from 2-3 each and every company which provides official way of unlocking does not support opening bootloader without voiding warranty. Once you go to official way you probably loose warranty except some developer edition devices. So there is no need to be my lawer lol...

EarlyMon

Jun 23, 2010
Well yeah brother you are right.

Now second thing, except very rare case like HTC are unlocked by revolutionary methods apart from HTC dev, and being a device most of em apart from 2-3 each and every company which provides official way of unlocking does not support opening bootloader without voiding warranty. Once you go to official way you probably loose warranty except some developer edition devices. So there is no need to be my lawer lol...

Even HTC has replaced my phone with an unlocked bootloader by their site, carrier version, not developer - so these guys can do whatever they want. ;)

rumsey

Jun 25, 2009
What the ****... I get the message "The Huawei ID used to apply for the unlock code has not been used on the device for more than 14 days.".

keLuacH.png

Damn this difficult phone.

Arobase40

Nov 22, 2010

It's all depends on the kind of warranty you're talking about...

Honor/Huawei (or any other manufacturers) can write what they want but they can't do anything against your local laws !

I don't know anything about other parts of the World but in Europe we are very lucky as laws are very protective for consumers.

I have already published some juridical references in the past but I'm too lazy to research them again : some researches on the web should help you...

To make thinks simple, there is NO relationship between unlocking the bootloader, rooting and the legal phone warranty.

If your unlocked/rooted device is broken or malfunctioning the manufacturers MUST PROVE that the fault is yours and not as a result of the manufacturers own technical "limitations/restrictions"... ^^

I can't publish all exhaustive rules about all legal warranty rules (english is not my native language) and they vary from one country or geographical region to another, so watch out about your local laws or ask for helps to your local association for consumers if you're unsure about the juridical terms or meanings !

---------- Post added at 11:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

How to relock bootloader on Huawei Honor 5x ( L21,22,24) ?

I guess with the command "fastboot oem relock" and you must be on stock rom and stock recovery, but please ask others as well just to make sure that's the way.

To relock the phone you can re flash a stock firmware but that doesn't change anything as you'll get a "relocked" status when the normal bootloader status should be "locked".

So Honor/Huawei will know if the bootloader has been modified or not... :D

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All Honor devices currently shipped with a locked bootloader. As long as manufacturers provide a way to unlock, then we're down with that - it helps keep your device secure and means that if you lose it, it's harder for people to steal your data (the process of unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone).

There are two ways to unlock your Honor phones bootloader, which will then allow you to install things like custom recoveries, custom kernels / ROMs etc. The first is using the official Honor method, which is free, and the second is using a third party, which costs €4 Euros, but may be the quickest option if the official method isn't working for you.

The official method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the official method, complete the following steps:

1. Visit https://www.emui.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail and either create a new account or login with an existing Huawei account.
    2. In the form displayed after logging in, enter:
      1. Your phone model (KIW-L21 for the Honor 5X)
      2. Your phone serial number (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
      3. Your phone IMEI1 (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
      4. Your phone product ID (to find this, open the dialler and enter *#*#1357946#*#*)
      5. The captcha code
    3. Press the 'Submit' button.
    4. At this point you will either be provided with a code, or you will receive an error such as 'The Huawei ID used to apply for the unlock code has not been used on the device for more than 14 days.' If you get the error, you will need to use the unofficial method below.
    5. Open a command window on your PC / Mac, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
    6. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
    7. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
    8. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
    9. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
    10. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the Huawei site.
    11. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
    12. That's it! You're done!

terminalsquash.png

The unofficial method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the unofficial method, if for example you receive the '14 day' error from the Huwei site, complete the following steps:

1. On a Windows PC, download and install DC-unlocker from https://www.dc-unlocker.com/.
    2. On your phone, enter Manufacturer Mode - open the dialler and enter *#*#2846579#*#*. In the app that then opens, select Project Menu -> Background settings -> USB ports settings -> Manufacturer Mode.
    3. Download the Huawei driver pack from https://files.dc-unlocker.com/share.html?v=share/88D4A98C154D4E19AF9D4A1EF09BA620.
    4. Install the Huawei driver pack by extracting the file you just downloaded (using WinRAR or similar) and running 'DriverSetup'
    5. After installing the driver pack, connect your phone to the PC. In Device Manager, after the automated driver install, you should have no 'Unknown Devices'.
    6. Launch the previously downloaded DC-unlocker application.
    7. From the drop down lists, select 'Huawei Phones' and 'Auto Detect Model'.
    8. Press the magnifying glass icon - the app will then search for your phone.
    9. You should see an image like the one below showing your phone is found. At this point, press the 'Buy Credits' option to set up your DC-Unlocker account and purchase the 4 credits required for code retrieval (this will cost €4). You can also do this directly from the DC-Unlocker website.
    10. After your credit purchase is complete, click the 'Server' section and enter your new DC-unlocker login details. Press 'Check Login' to validate the details (if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts).
    11. Click the 'Unlocking' section, and click 'Read Bootloader Code'. Do NOT click 'Unlock'. Again, if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts. The white area of the app will now display the bootloader code. Screen grab this just in case!
    12. Open a command window on your PC, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
    13. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
    14. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
    15. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
    16. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
    17. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the DC-Unlocker process.
    18. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
    19. That's it! You're done!

dcunlocker1squash.png
    dcunlocker2squash.png
    Because i got yhe same problem:(:(

Instructions for using the Chinese Site

USE CHROME BROWSER
    Start Here > http://emui.huawei.com/cn/ .... and translate it to English
    Choose Download from the 2nd row of text
    on the next page their is a unlocked padlock on the top right of the page > click it
    Now your on the login page / login with your account
    next is the agreement page check the box and then the link at the bottom
    now you should be here > https://emui.huawei.com/plugin/unlock/detail --> translate it

Fill in the info
    Code:
    How to get the product identification code ?
    In the phone's dial-up interface, enter * # * # 1357946 # * # *

use IMEI1 and your Serial
    Submit and you should get your code
    Hey Paul, many thanks for the tip (and your wealth of contributions over the years)!

Can you comment on how pernicious the server busy thing is with DC Unlocker?

Of course it voids your warranty

U can still get OTAs with unlocked bootloader?