Guide: How to bootloader unlock your Honor 5X (official and unofficial methods)

Search This thread

snazzyman89

Apr 8, 2020
hey bro I need ur help are u online?

---------- Post added at 01:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 PM ----------

bro its not showing up as a qualcom device with or without the battery, without the battery it just vibrates and nothing shows up on the pc

Keep the two points contacted with a metal object when you plug your usb cable. don't take off the metal object until you see the qualcomm usb loader on QFIL.

Reactions: Ibrahim Tariq

Ibrahim Tariq

May 8, 2018
Keep the two points contacted with a metal object when you plug your usb cable. don't take off the metal object until you see the qualcomm usb loader on QFIL.

thank u very much brother it worked and I now have root :):):):):):):)

lost my bottom screws in the process XD

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

were u able to flash twrp if yes then how

when I boot to recovery huawei erecovery shows up

edit the bootloader is still locked

Last edited:

snazzyman89

Apr 8, 2020
sorry bro, as i stressed out in my posts, i wasn't able to extract the bootloader code. the adb shell never gave me a code and i tried other methods and they didn't work either. also, just so you don't waste your time; don't try to flash a recovery image from the twrp android app, i've tried that and it didn't work.
try opening your adb in cmd and do this, it could give you a bootloader code:
1. Turn USB debugging On in phone.
2. type 'adb devices' and see it gives you a serial number for your phone, if it does then you're good to go.
3. type 'adb shell'
3. type 'su' (allow root permission to ADB if you get a prompt)
4. type this code: grep -m1 -aoE 'WVLOCK.{14}[0-9]{16}' /dev/block/mmcblk* | grep -aoE '[0-9]{16}'

Reactions: Ibrahim Tariq

Ibrahim Tariq

May 8, 2018
sorry bro, as i stressed out in my posts, i wasn't able to extract the bootloader code. the adb shell never gave me a code and i tried other methods and they didn't work either. also, just so you don't waste your time; don't try to flash a recovery image from the twrp android app, i've tried that and it didn't work.
try opening your adb in cmd and do this, it could give you a bootloader code:
1. Turn USB debugging On in phone.
2. type 'adb devices' and see it gives you a serial number for your phone, if it does then you're good to go.
3. type 'adb shell'
3. type 'su' (allow root permission to ADB if you get a prompt)
4. type this code: grep -m1 -aoE 'WVLOCK.{14}[0-9]{16}' /dev/block/mmcblk* | grep -aoE '[0-9]{16}'

tried everything wasted my whole day on it. no one is doing anything for this model, I think its old thats why. .

I realy wanted that lineage os rom for this phone the stock rom is SH*t

anyways thanks for your time. . .and lets hope someone unlocks this phone soon.

Reactions: snazzyman89

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
tried everything wasted my whole day on it. no one is doing anything for this model, I think its old thats why. .

Well you can blame Honor, their whole company is a POS. They left all of there loyal users holding the bag after months of broken promises. Your 5x was cheap and manufactured over 4 years ago. Honor only cares if your buying the newest release at Top Dollar price, and even then they will leave you with no updates just as soon as the new phone comes out. Screw Honor get a OnePlus or a OPPA

snazzyman89

Apr 8, 2020

If this had been a Kirin phone, we'd have gotten the bootloader code from it using the adb code. Its strange because even qualcomm should store its bootloader code somewhere in the files, yet we were never able to find it...
Maybe if we can software-flash an unlocked 5x's boot.img on the phone, it would unlock it too?

Tbh, im kinda disappointed no devs in here are helping us, i thought this place was full of them.

Reactions: sina63441

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
If this had been a Kirin phone, we'd have gotten the bootloader code from it using the adb code. Its strange because even qualcomm should store its bootloader code somewhere in the files, yet we were never able to find it...
Maybe if we can software-flash an unlocked 5x's boot.img on the phone, it would unlock it too?

Tbh, im kinda disappointed no devs in here are helping us, i thought this place was full of them.

Well when your 1 - 3 years late to the party what else did you expect ?
I have had probably 6 - 8 phones since this one.
The Kiwi was a blast when it came out but those days are long gone my friends

sina63441

Jul 23, 2020

Hello, is there a way in Android 5 unlock bootloader honor5x ?

harleymk2

Apr 18, 2008
Hi,
my old unlockcode for my honor 5x is not working anymore.
I have unlocked and rooted my phone years ago and have installed twrp 3.4.0 and lineage 16 sometime ago.
My phone bricked anyway and now i can only go to "fastboot&rescue mode) (volume down and power)

the command 'fastboot oem unlock <unlockcode>' give 'FAILED (remote: Invalid key,unlock fail)'
I have checked a few times, the code is for the main imei und i checked the code a few times, no mistyping

fastboot oem get-bootinfo
(bootloader) *******************************************
(bootloader) Bootloader Lock State: LOCKED
(bootloader) Root State: ROOT
(bootloader) Bootloader WidevineKey: WidevineKey_INVALID
(bootloader) System State: need to verify
(bootloader) Boot image need to be verified
(bootloader) Recovery image need to be verified
(bootloader) Bootloader Version: 001.001.000
(bootloader) *******************************************
OKAY [ 1.345s]
finished. total time: 1.345s

Can i do anything?

harleymk2

snazzyman89

Apr 8, 2020
Unless someone can provide an ADB command to extract the bootloader code from Qualcomm system files or possibly provide an unlocked Aboot image, There is nothing that you can do further than the downgrade and root method i explained in my earlier post.

methuselah

Aug 25, 2011
Well when your 1 - 3 years late to the party what else did you expect ?
I have had probably 6 - 8 phones since this one.
The Kiwi was a blast when it came out but those days are long gone my friends
but here it is still working for me as a temp phone. And strangely, lineageOs after few days of usage is very smooth, with some hiccups because of 2gb ram.

S5830er

Aug 7, 2014
Google Pixel 4
Couldn't anyone of the nerds here read out the communication while
unlocking it with Netgear Nighthawk or ministryofsolutions, post it and make it usable for all of us here? ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All Honor devices currently shipped with a locked bootloader. As long as manufacturers provide a way to unlock, then we're down with that - it helps keep your device secure and means that if you lose it, it's harder for people to steal your data (the process of unlocking the bootloader wipes the phone).

There are two ways to unlock your Honor phones bootloader, which will then allow you to install things like custom recoveries, custom kernels / ROMs etc. The first is using the official Honor method, which is free, and the second is using a third party, which costs €4 Euros, but may be the quickest option if the official method isn't working for you.

The official method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the official method, complete the following steps:

1. Visit https://www.emui.com/en/plugin.php?id=unlock&mod=detail and either create a new account or login with an existing Huawei account.
    2. In the form displayed after logging in, enter:
      1. Your phone model (KIW-L21 for the Honor 5X)
      2. Your phone serial number (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
      3. Your phone IMEI1 (this can be found in Settings -> About -> Status)
      4. Your phone product ID (to find this, open the dialler and enter *#*#1357946#*#*)
      5. The captcha code
    3. Press the 'Submit' button.
    4. At this point you will either be provided with a code, or you will receive an error such as 'The Huawei ID used to apply for the unlock code has not been used on the device for more than 14 days.' If you get the error, you will need to use the unofficial method below.
    5. Open a command window on your PC / Mac, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
    6. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
    7. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
    8. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
    9. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
    10. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the Huawei site.
    11. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
    12. That's it! You're done!

terminalsquash.png

The unofficial method

In order to unlock your Honor device using the unofficial method, if for example you receive the '14 day' error from the Huwei site, complete the following steps:

1. On a Windows PC, download and install DC-unlocker from https://www.dc-unlocker.com/.
    2. On your phone, enter Manufacturer Mode - open the dialler and enter *#*#2846579#*#*. In the app that then opens, select Project Menu -> Background settings -> USB ports settings -> Manufacturer Mode.
    3. Download the Huawei driver pack from https://files.dc-unlocker.com/share.html?v=share/88D4A98C154D4E19AF9D4A1EF09BA620.
    4. Install the Huawei driver pack by extracting the file you just downloaded (using WinRAR or similar) and running 'DriverSetup'
    5. After installing the driver pack, connect your phone to the PC. In Device Manager, after the automated driver install, you should have no 'Unknown Devices'.
    6. Launch the previously downloaded DC-unlocker application.
    7. From the drop down lists, select 'Huawei Phones' and 'Auto Detect Model'.
    8. Press the magnifying glass icon - the app will then search for your phone.
    9. You should see an image like the one below showing your phone is found. At this point, press the 'Buy Credits' option to set up your DC-Unlocker account and purchase the 4 credits required for code retrieval (this will cost €4). You can also do this directly from the DC-Unlocker website.
    10. After your credit purchase is complete, click the 'Server' section and enter your new DC-unlocker login details. Press 'Check Login' to validate the details (if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts).
    11. Click the 'Unlocking' section, and click 'Read Bootloader Code'. Do NOT click 'Unlock'. Again, if the server is busy, this may take multiple attempts. The white area of the app will now display the bootloader code. Screen grab this just in case!
    12. Open a command window on your PC, which needs to have 'adb' and 'fastboot' installed from the Android SDK.
    13. Enable USB debugging by tapping the build number in Settings -> About 5 times, then going back and selecting the option from the Development menu.
    14. Enable OEM unlock in the Development menu.
    15. Connect your phone to the PC and approve the security prompt on the device screen.
    16. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'adb reboot bootloader' to enter fastboot mode'.
    17. In the command window on your PC / Mac, enter 'fastboot oem unlock [insertnumberhere]', of course using the number provided by the DC-Unlocker process.
    18. YOUR PHONE WILL WIPE ITSELF AT THIS POINT!
    19. That's it! You're done!

dcunlocker1squash.png
    dcunlocker2squash.png
    Because i got yhe same problem:(:(

Instructions for using the Chinese Site

USE CHROME BROWSER
    Start Here > http://emui.huawei.com/cn/ .... and translate it to English
    Choose Download from the 2nd row of text
    on the next page their is a unlocked padlock on the top right of the page > click it
    Now your on the login page / login with your account
    next is the agreement page check the box and then the link at the bottom
    now you should be here > https://emui.huawei.com/plugin/unlock/detail --> translate it

Fill in the info
    Code:
    How to get the product identification code ?
    In the phone's dial-up interface, enter * # * # 1357946 # * # *

use IMEI1 and your Serial
    Submit and you should get your code
    Hey Paul, many thanks for the tip (and your wealth of contributions over the years)!

Can you comment on how pernicious the server busy thing is with DC Unlocker?
    Are you sure?? Unlocking bootloader will not void your warranty ??
    This attach pic is from official huwei support !!! Read the last lines

Of course it voids your warranty
    Unlocking the bootloader will not void your warranty, and yes you will get OTAs :)

If you flash a custom recovery and root, THAT will void your warranty and you will not be able to get OTAs unless you relock the bootloader and go back to stock everything :)

U can still get OTAs with unlocked bootloader?