[Guide] How to calculate checksum md5 in windows

Search This thread

Kamy

Aug 29, 2012
Beijing
Since some noobs like me does not know about Checksum and how to calculate it I share this topic.
You may have seen there is a number called "MD5" together with long digit in some threads. You may be confused what this number for.
Actually, MD5 is a number verifying whether the file you have downloaded is alright or broken, by comparing with the original's MD5.
Some can compute this number using solidexplorer.apk in their phone however some would like to figure out this number before transferring their file, specially a big zip into their memory card. So here is a very easy way to calculate this number by a software in windows.
WinMD5 is a small and easy tool to calculate md5 hash or checksum for different files (including files larger than 4 GB).

Features:

• Supports almost all Windows platforms including Microsoft Windows 95, 98, 2000, Me, XP, 2003, Vista and Windows 7.
  • Fast and multi-threaded. It can compute a 2 GB file less than 1 minute.
  • Supports big files larger than 4 GB.
  • Low resource usage. It uses less than 5 MB RAM.
  • Don’t require .NET runtime installed. It is a standalone EXE file and the startup is speedy. There are MD5 tools for Windows on the market, but most of them requires .NET runtime and they may take a few seconds to start. This is also the reason I wrote the program.
  • Supports “Drag & Drop”. You may either select a file, or drag and drop a file to the program window to get the MD5 hash value.
  • Supports verification of original MD5 value and current MD5 value.
  • Most important, it is FREE. No spyware or adware bundle.
  • Small size, an effective and tiny tool for data security.

Here is the software
View attachment WinMD5.7z

Just extract the exe file and address you file. It would begin to calculate MD5, then click verify so see number is matched or not. That's it.

toxicthunder

Inactive Recognized Developer
Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
Thank you for your post.

As an addition, almost all download managers (free or otherwise) automatically calculate this for you after a download and report any discrepancies as well. :)

There are several Browser Plugins as well which are quite handy. That is one area to look into as well.

But yes a handy tool is always good to have :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Last edited:

SpecialStar

Jan 28, 2012
A quick applications for this stuff is also HashCalc, it can show u several Hashes so you can compare it better.
I use it all of the time and got no problems with it.

revilo155

Apr 1, 2011
Guys sorry for noob question ahead of time but... i downloaded the app hashcalc app and uploaded the zip file i have md5 code but what i need to do next?? Im not really understanding all of this. What is it that im trying to achieve with this?

Once again thank you for ur help and patience on my noobiie questions. Thanks ahead of time

Attachments

• 1455998258511.jpg
    1455998258511.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 60

IronRoo

Aug 4, 2014
Guys sorry for noob question ahead of time but... i downloaded the app hashcalc app and uploaded the zip file i have md5 code but what i need to do next?? Im not really understanding all of this. What is it that im trying to achieve with this?

Once again thank you for ur help and patience on my noobiie questions. Thanks ahead of time

I've never used this app but it looks like you are on the right track. Now you have generated the checksum by finding file on your phone you need to go to website or wherever you have the reference checksum stored, highlight it and copy it, then just click the clip board icon as shown on your screen, then press the compare button at the bottom.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Since some noobs like me does not know about Checksum and how to calculate it I share this topic.
    You may have seen there is a number called "MD5" together with long digit in some threads. You may be confused what this number for.
    Actually, MD5 is a number verifying whether the file you have downloaded is alright or broken, by comparing with the original's MD5.
    Some can compute this number using solidexplorer.apk in their phone however some would like to figure out this number before transferring their file, specially a big zip into their memory card. So here is a very easy way to calculate this number by a software in windows.
    WinMD5 is a small and easy tool to calculate md5 hash or checksum for different files (including files larger than 4 GB).

Features:

• Supports almost all Windows platforms including Microsoft Windows 95, 98, 2000, Me, XP, 2003, Vista and Windows 7.
    • Fast and multi-threaded. It can compute a 2 GB file less than 1 minute.
    • Supports big files larger than 4 GB.
    • Low resource usage. It uses less than 5 MB RAM.
    • Don’t require .NET runtime installed. It is a standalone EXE file and the startup is speedy. There are MD5 tools for Windows on the market, but most of them requires .NET runtime and they may take a few seconds to start. This is also the reason I wrote the program.
    • Supports “Drag & Drop”. You may either select a file, or drag and drop a file to the program window to get the MD5 hash value.
    • Supports verification of original MD5 value and current MD5 value.
    • Most important, it is FREE. No spyware or adware bundle.
    • Small size, an effective and tiny tool for data security.

Here is the software
    View attachment WinMD5.7z

Just extract the exe file and address you file. It would begin to calculate MD5, then click verify so see number is matched or not. That's it.
    Thank you for your post.

As an addition, almost all download managers (free or otherwise) automatically calculate this for you after a download and report any discrepancies as well. :)

There are several Browser Plugins as well which are quite handy. That is one area to look into as well.

But yes a handy tool is always good to have :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone