[GUIDE] How to change DPI with or without root

Search This thread

A_N_D_R_E

Mar 3, 2014
Burlington, VT
Anyone successfully get S-health working after dropping the DPI (500)?

It may not be the cause but I thought I'd ask.

I don't get anything beyond this splash screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160315-203352.png
    Screenshot_20160315-203352.png
    110 KB · Views: 550

BanziBaby

Oct 21, 2010
I just tried this & it did indeed change the DPI to 560 but the reset command doesn't seem to work, when the device reboots after resetting it back to default DPI it is still set at 560 DPI as everything is still smaller & DPI checker confirms it is still set to 560

I assume using the command "adb shell wm density 560 && adb reboot" but changing the 560 to 640 will reset it back to default?

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
I just tried this & it did indeed change the DPI to 560 but the reset command doesn't seem to work, when the device reboots after resetting it back to default DPI it is still set at 560 DPI as everything is still smaller & DPI checker confirms it is still set to 560

I assume using the command "adb shell wm density 560 && adb reboot" but changing the 560 to 640 will reset it back to default?
Yes it will. A few people have said the same thing so I will update the OP

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: BanziBaby

detonation

Jan 20, 2010
Wisconsin

this works to reset:

adb shell wm density reset && adb reboot

Reactions: BanziBaby

MrTek

Feb 27, 2007
Running
Code:
adb shell wm density 560
changes DPI but prevents Android Pay from working with the Android Modified Error.
Returning back to 640 by running
Code:
adb shell wm density 640
and rebooting, makes Android Pay work again

Doing the .DisplayScalingActivity trick set the setting back to 560, and it also causes Android Pay to not work.

So it looks like if you want to use Android Pay, you need to be on the 640 setting. I chose to use Condensed and use Samsung Pay until they resolve it.

Last edited:

gtg465x

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 16, 2008
Nice. Still think Samsung should have done 560 by default. 640 makes it seem like just a magnified version of the smaller S7 screen and looks hilariously huge next to a Note 5 or S6 Edge+. That said, I'm really glad we can change it to 560 and have everything working perfectly except Android Pay, and Android Pay I can live without because Samsung Pay is better anyways.

mrstabs

Nov 11, 2014
I agree. Samsung should have done this by default. In previous phones this has been the smallest font size. And I was struggling to get use to the default smallest font size as it still seemed too big and untidy for me. This is something else that is in Android N that's in the s7/edge firmware. Clearly Samsung have started to add things ready for when they receive N.

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
If anyone is able to locate the files that are used by this setting please let me know. I am struggling to find it

GerhardK90

Mar 11, 2015
I changed the DPI with the hidden menu which I opened with the help of nova launcher. Does anyone know what DPI the "smaller" setting changes the DPI to?
I also got the feeling that the UI is less smooth with the change of the DPI. Is that just a feeling or does anyone else also experience some "laggy" behavior (For example just try to scroll slowly in chrome)?

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
I changed the DPI with the hidden menu which I opened with the help of nova launcher. Does anyone know what DPI the "smaller" setting changes the DPI to?
I also got the feeling that the UI is less smooth with the change of the DPI. Is that just a feeling or does anyone else also experience some "laggy" behavior (For example just try to scroll slowly in chrome)?

This changes it to 560. I have it at this and have not noticed any lag.

Reactions: GerhardK90

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will work for the S7 and S7 Edge. In fact it will work for all Android Devices on Jellybean and higher.

You can change DPI without root but will need to use adb on a computer.

As some of you may be aware, changing dpi in build.prop does not work, therefore I have also now included a method to change DPI with root, without the need of a computer. Scroll down to see how to do this.

Since the April update, Samsung have included a menu in the settings screen which allows you to change between 'Standard' (640 DPI) and 'Condensed' (560 DPI). If you have not had this update, you can still access this menu using this app.
    (AT&T users have confirmed that this menu is not available in the display menu but still available via the
    the app route.)

If you would like a different DPI other than 640 or 560, please follow the instructions below:

Change DPI without root (Requires Computer):

This will NOT trip Knox.

To do this, follow the steps below.

1. The first thing you need to do is to install adb. The quickest way to do this is using the adb installer. You can download it from Here. If you follow the steps correctly in that thread, you should have no issues installing adb.
    2. Now you will need to enable USB Debugging. [If you have 'My Knox' installed, you will not be able to do this so you will need to uninstall 'My Knox' First otherwise USB debuggin will be greyed out.]. Go into Settings > About Device > Software Info and keep tapping Build Number until Developer Options is enabled. Then go back into the Settings screen and go into Developer Options (located just above 'About Device'). You should see USB Debugging, turn the slider to on.
    3. Connect your S7E to your computer. You will see a notification asking for you to Allow USB degugging for that computer, select 'OK'.
    4. Now open Command Prompt (CMD) on your computer. (If you're not sure how to do this, Click Here to find out how).
    5. First thing to check is if adb can detect the device, so type the following command in CMD and press enter...

Code:
      adb devices
    6. If this command shows the device (a line of random letters and numbers), then it has successfully detected your device. If nothing shows, then it cannot detect the device and you have either not enabled USB debugging, not allowed USB Debugging for this computer (as per the prompt when plugging it in)or the drivers have not been installed. (Most recent Windows will automatically install the Drivers, but if you are having Driver issues, then install Kies, connect the device to Kies to allow the drivers to install, then remove device from the computer, disable Kies then start again from Step 3).
    7. If the device is detected in adb, go ahead and enter the following command to change your DPI. 560 is the most commen used but you can change this to anything you like (I find 520 to be the best).

Code:
      adb shell wm density 560 && adb reboot
    8. Your S7E should now reboot and the new DPI will be applied. To confirm this, install DPI Checker from the Play store. The prop file will still show the default DPI of 640 so ignore this.

If you want to revert back to the default DPI, enter the following command:

Code:
    adb shell wm density 640 && adb reboot

Change DPI with root (No computer required):

1. Download a Terminal app (such as this one) and open the app.
    2: Type the following:​
    Code:
    su
    Then tap enter. This will prompt root permission, make sure you allow permission

Code:
    wm density 560 && reboot
    Change 560 to your prefered DPI.

Then tap enter.

3. Your phone will reboot and when booted it will have the new set DPI.
    4. To change back to stock DPI, use the following in Terminal:
    Code:
    wm density 640 && reboot
    FAQ:

Will this affect Samsung Pay?
    Yes. Users have reported that Samsung Pay will not with any DPI other than 560 or 640

Will this affect Android Pay?
    No. A recent update to Android Pay means it now works with any DPI

Will this affect the scaling of Samsung apps?
    Anything below 520 will affect the camera (in pro mode)
    Other than this, I have not noticed any other scaling issues (see screenshots below).

Screenshots:

If you have any issues or questions feel free to ask me and I will be happy to help.

If you notice any mistakes or know any ways this can be improved, please let me know and I will update the guide.
    Can you please explain how you did it? I always thaught that root is required for changing dpi.

• Enable USB debugging in developer options
    • Connect S7 to your computer with the USB cable
    • Then enter the following command (assuming you have adb installed - if not, click here to find out how to install adb)...

Code:
    adb shell wm density 560 && adb reboot
    (You can change the 560 to whatever DPI you want)

The device will then reboot and the new DPI will be set.​
    No scaling issues in any of the Samsung Apps?

See for yourself :)

I've uploaded all Samsung Apps I could find. Some I don't use but the intro screen should be enough :) Let me know if you want me to check anything else and I'll be happy to.

VnhxoA6.jpg

78WQEHj.jpg

qDwEBBs.jpg

jqu9Ler.jpg

3niB3W2.jpg

ApWGbTd.jpg

RgXLi7H.jpg

wmEEm99.jpg

uKfk2bw.jpg

JUcx0zs.jpg

AAjLaLT.jpg

mDoZOYY.jpg

Nl5zOzo.jpg

LtjM5Mk.jpg

aaPGkxg.jpg

BOVuijd.jpg
    Again, I wasnt talking about the black bars on either side of the image when set at 4:3. When changing DPI, some people are seeing that the camera does not scale to the new DPI and therefore leaving a black bar at the side and bottom of the image, even when using 16:9. Like the image below. Who's the noob now?

4f6ad0d06afbf7530998c001dbea0b5e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Burnt. Some people really need to think before posting.

Sent from my SM-G935F using XDA Forums Pro.