[GUIDE] How to change DPI with or without root

Search This thread

microspock

Aug 13, 2010
Does someone know which file is involved with this setting ? it seems to take over the dpi setting in build.prop

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
Does someone know which file is involved with this setting ? it seems to take over the dpi setting in build.prop

I will be looking into this when I have some time.

Any help finding this file will be appreciated. It may help us to create a mod that will allow us to have our own selected DPI as well as to properly scale all Samsung apps (ie, no icon misalignment in camera app)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

goTouch

Display Scaling [no root]

For the people that doesn't have the latest version and want to use the new Display Scaling, install this application to get the feature. All S7 have it, this app is just a shortcut to the hidden feature.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evozi.displayscaling&hl=pt_BR

Zti56ElIj5mGQosUJDw74c4kJqRXdl9kUxxc7bb0j9VYjPqqpbYjPnPNB6r2zgOk2cQ=h900-rw

CuBz90

Sep 27, 2010
Reactions: goTouch

Photobias

Feb 25, 2011
Hi, guys, I'm confuse, the 560 setting has anything to do with picture quality? shooting photos, seeing pictures... and what about battery life?

I have S7E Exy with Samsung sensor and I see noise in pictures with the 560 mode...

WManzo123

Dec 5, 2011
Garland
Great write up on how to change the dpi using the adb method. However I have stumbled across a problem. I have a Galaxy S7 Active (I know I'm in the regular S7 forums. I figured I would ask help here since there aren't any topics about this there). I tried doing the easiest procedure first by changing the dpi through the settings. That didn't work I get this message "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped" message. Then when I try doing the adb procedure you posted, nothing changes. I'm able to access the device and reset the phone, but none of the changes happen.

Last edited:

Ixil

Apr 8, 2016
Not alone.

Great write up on how to change the dpi using the adb method. However I have stumbled across a problem. I have a Galaxy S7 Active (I know I'm in the regular S7 forums. I figured I would ask help here since there aren't any topics about this there). I tried doing the easiest procedure first by changing the dpi through the settings. That didn't work I get this message "Unfortunately, Settings has stopped" message. Then when I try doing the adb procedure you posted, nothing changes. I'm able to access the device and reset the phone, but none of the changes happen.

You're not alone, friend. I also have an S7 active and am unable to make this work. Only reason I even tried was because I wanted Nova dpi and themes. I found that you can change the theme and use Nova. It won't change the icons but it did what I wanted... Gave everything a Dark theme.

WManzo123

Dec 5, 2011
Garland
You're not alone, friend. I also have an S7 active and am unable to make this work. Only reason I even tried was because I wanted Nova dpi and themes. I found that you can change the theme and use Nova. It won't change the icons but it did what I wanted... Gave everything a Dark theme.

Great news! The recent update 8/11/2016 fixed the dpi error we were getting. I was able to successfully change my dpi using the display scaling app. Screenshot_20160811-081042.png

MrBaltazar

Oct 28, 2014
Seattle
HOW TO: Change DPI without root!

Not sure if it's been covered but I typically modify build.prop and change LCD density to modify DPI and gain more usable screen real estate.

Well, the US variants have a shotty root procedure and after experiencing un reliable/inconsistent performance, heat, and battery life, I flashed my Verizon G930v back to stock. After installing Nova Launcher, I changed my icon sizes for the home screen and app drawer, but the rest of the system is still ballooned and huge as if the UI was designed for the elderly.

Here's how to fix that:

Add a Nova Activity Widget
Scroll down to "Settings"
Choose "DisplayScalingActivity"

This will add an icon to your home screen.

Tap the icon and change the option to "condensed"

Restart and profit from your 640 to 560 LCD density change without root

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160823-005331.png
    Screenshot_20160823-005331.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 1,756
  • Screenshot_20160823-005423.png
    Screenshot_20160823-005423.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 1,738
  • Screenshot_20160823-005434.png
    Screenshot_20160823-005434.png
    173.7 KB · Views: 1,661

Mr6P

haha I previously had an Nexus 6P and there's a tool wich is called "Nexus Root Toolkit", it lets you customize and also root your device. In advanced settings you can easily change DPI. I just used the tool to install the needed drivers and you can also easily just open the app and set your desired DPI values for you Samsung devices, too. I used it to set the DPI on my Note 7 :D

Rintaro Okabe

Aug 27, 2016
Thx for the idea. I have changed my DPI to 350 and reduced my resolution from QHD to Full HD. So I hope this save me a lot of battery power.

Rintaro Okabe

Aug 27, 2016
I use a software that streams the screen to an external monitor. Reducing Resolution has improved the lag. And I want to play via big screen but I can't build a direct connection. I had to use Ethernet for it. And in this case every tad counts.
And games like Vainglory are very demanding. The device gets very hot after a while. Need to cool it with laptop cooler.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This will work for the S7 and S7 Edge. In fact it will work for all Android Devices on Jellybean and higher.

This will NOT trip Knox.

You can change DPI without root but will need to use adb on a computer.

As some of you may be aware, changing dpi in build.prop does not work, therefore I have also now included a method to change DPI with root, without the need of a computer. Scroll down to see how to do this.

Since the April update, Samsung have included a menu in the settings screen which allows you to change between 'Standard' (640 DPI) and 'Condensed' (560 DPI). If you have not had this update, you can still access this menu using this app.
    (AT&T users have confirmed that this menu is not available in the display menu but still available via the the app route.)

If you would like a different DPI other than 640 or 560, please follow the instructions below:

Change DPI without root (Requires Computer):

To do this, follow the steps below.

1. The first thing you need to do is to install adb. The quickest way to do this is using the adb installer. You can download it from Here. If you follow the steps correctly in that thread, you should have no issues installing adb.
    2. Now you will need to enable USB Debugging. [If you have 'My Knox' installed, you will not be able to do this so you will need to uninstall 'My Knox' First otherwise USB debuggin will be greyed out.]. Go into Settings > About Device > Software Info and keep tapping Build Number until Developer Options is enabled. Then go back into the Settings screen and go into Developer Options (located just above 'About Device'). You should see USB Debugging, turn the slider to on.
    3. Connect your S7E to your computer. You will see a notification asking for you to Allow USB degugging for that computer, select 'OK'.
    4. Now open Command Prompt (CMD) on your computer. (If you're not sure how to do this, Click Here to find out how).
    5. First thing to check is if adb can detect the device, so type the following command in CMD and press enter...

Code:
      adb devices
    6. If this command shows the device (a line of random letters and numbers), then it has successfully detected your device. If nothing shows, then it cannot detect the device and you have either not enabled USB debugging, not allowed USB Debugging for this computer (as per the prompt when plugging it in)or the drivers have not been installed. (Most recent Windows will automatically install the Drivers, but if you are having Driver issues, then install Kies, connect the device to Kies to allow the drivers to install, then remove device from the computer, disable Kies then start again from Step 3).
    7. If the device is detected in adb, go ahead and enter the following command to change your DPI. 560 is the most commen used but you can change this to anything you like (I find 520 to be the best).

Code:
      adb shell wm density 560 && adb reboot
    8. Your S7E should now reboot and the new DPI will be applied. To confirm this, install DPI Checker from the Play store. The prop file will still show the default DPI of 640 so ignore this.

If you want to revert back to the default DPI, enter the following command:

Code:
    adb shell wm density 640 && adb reboot

Change DPI with root (No computer required):

1. Download a Terminal app (such as this one) and open the app.
    2: Type the following:​
    Code:
    su
    Then tap enter. This will prompt root permission, make sure you allow permission

Code:
    wm density 560 && reboot
    Change 560 to your prefered DPI.

Then tap enter.

3. Your phone will reboot and when booted it will have the new set DPI.
    4. To change back to stock DPI, use the following in Terminal:
    Code:
    wm density 640 && reboot
    FAQ:

Will this affect Samsung Pay?
    No. But I recommend you make sure the initial Samsung Pay set up is complete before changing DPI as some people have reported that the initial set up does not work after changing DPI. After that it works fine.

Will this affect Android Pay?
    Yes. You will not be able to use Android Pay after changing DPI

Will this affect the scaling of Samsung apps?
    The camera shifts slightly to the left.
    Using the stock wallpaper will leave a blue gap at the bottom of the lock/home screen.
    The Edge screen will have a small gap at the bottom.
    Other than this, I have not noticed any other scaling issues (see screenshots below).

Screenshots:

If you have any issues or questions feel free to ask me and I will be happy to help.

If you notice any mistakes or know any ways this can be improved, please let me know and I will update the guide.
    Thanks!! Wonder though why it breaks Android pay.
    Weird. Did you reset the DPI as per the guide? Sounds like it hasn't actually gone back to default. Try again.

Yea, I went back and had to rewrite it back to 640. The
    Code:
     adb shell size reset && adb reboot
    command does not stick.
    For the people that doesn't have the latest version and want to use the new Display Scaling, install this application to get the feature. All S7 have it, this app is just a shortcut to the hidden feature.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evozi.displayscaling&hl=pt_BR

Zti56ElIj5mGQosUJDw74c4kJqRXdl9kUxxc7bb0j9VYjPqqpbYjPnPNB6r2zgOk2cQ=h900-rw
    This is already covered in the OP. But thanks anyway [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk