[GUIDE] How to change MAC Address (mido/nikel)

Search This thread

justreybro

Aug 31, 2015
*DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK*
*I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MAC ADDRESS FOR ILLEGAL PURPOSES*

Since there's no thread about it, I'll go ahead make one.
This guide is based on my experience, so if i miss something just tell me about it.

If what you're trying to do is to fix broken MAC Address on your custom ROM, please just flash latest firmware.

Option 1

1. Requirements
- Redmi Note 4X (Snapdragon) (mido)
nikel user read text below*
- ‎ROOT access
- ‎File manager with root access (i recommend MiXplorer)

2. Download
- MiXplorer : https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/pishr...release/mixplorer-6-27-4-android-apk-download

3. Change MAC Address
- Turn off wifi
- Open your file manager
- ‎Go to system folder(which us require root access)
- ‎Open /data/misc/wifi/
- ‎Open WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini as text, then open with text editor
- ‎Scroll down find 'Inf0MacAddress=XXXXXXXXXXX'
- Change the value to the MAC Address you want without ':'

IMPORTANT:
RULES FOR WIFI MAC ADDRESS
1.Should be 12 Digits long only
2.Should have hexadecimal characters only (0-F)
3.Second digit of mac address should be Even Digit only (0 or 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or A or C or E)
valid example - 0205160F0A3E
invalid example - 016GEABCDF59

- Save
- Turn on wifi then done

That's all, if you can't find WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini try option 2 in the next post

*i do not own nikel device, but based on my experience that in mediatek device you can find /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB, then change the value in the WIFI file. I'm not sure about the directory, just focus finding /APCFG/APRDEB/ folder. If someone succeed please tell me the exact directory in nikel please, so i can share it with you guys.

Last edited:

justreybro

Aug 31, 2015
Option 2
THIS OPTION WORKS ON ANY SNAPDRAGON SOC DEVICES

1. Requirements
- Redmi Note 4X (Snapdragon) (mido) / Any Qualcomm Snapdragon Devices
- ‎PC/Laptop
- ‎ROOT Access

2. Download

- Terminal Emulator
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

- QPST Tools
https://androiddatahost.com/np4wq

- Notepad++
https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/

- Qualcomm Driver
http://www.androidbrick.com/download/qualcomm-qdloader-hs-9008-edl-usb-driver/

3. How to
- Device state turned on
- Install all QPST and Qualcomm Driver, reboot pc
- Open terminal emulator on your device then input commands below

su
setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb

- Open QPST and Start Client-->Software Download.
then go to Backup and take a backup
- Open a copy of the resulting file (*.qcn) in Notepad++ and search your phone's mac address as hex.
Eg. : if your mac address is 01:02:03:04:05:06 search it as 01 02 03 04 05 06

IMPORTANT:
3.Second digit of mac address should be Even Digit only (0 or 2 or 4 or 6 or 8 or A or C or E)

- You will get some search results. Now edit every search result with your desired MAC address. (approx 4 edits)
- And finally restore this edited *.qcn file and reboot your phone once complete.

That's all i wanted to share, if works simply leave a like to support me against my existential crisis. Thank

Last edited:

justreybro

Aug 31, 2015
UPDATE APRIL 2019

Option 2 works on any qualcomm soc devices.
Tried it on:
- Asus Max Pro M1 (SD636)
- Redmi Note 5 Pro (SD636)
- Mi 5 (SD821)

Last edited:
Reactions: thedevilashish

TheGreatAyad

Apr 27, 2017
Cebu
Option 1 doesn't seem to work. I have a question for option 2, can I change MAC more than once? And do I have a fail-safe in case something goes wrong? i.e restore from a backup. TIA for answers. My reason for spoofing MAC is bypassing router bandwidth management(house rules -.-)

justreybro

Aug 31, 2015
Option 1 doesn't seem to work. I have a question for option 2, can I change MAC more than once? And do I have a fail-safe in case something goes wrong? i.e restore from a backup. TIA for answers. My reason for spoofing MAC is bypassing router bandwidth management(house rules -.-)

yes, simply keep the original .xqcn file, then restore it when things goes wrong. And I changed the mac address many times using option 2, but not recommended.

Based on my experience :
When option 2 not working at all(restore backup not working), go back to option 1.

TheGreatAyad

Apr 27, 2017
Cebu
yes, simply keep the original .xqcn file, then restore it when things goes wrong. And I changed the mac address many times using option 2, but not recommended.

Based on my experience :
When option 2 not working at all(restore backup not working), go back to option 1.

Just tried it today since I went back to MIUI from a custom Oreo Rom. And I have to say, IT WORKS! Flawlessly! :)

ps.
btw, my MAC searching method was a bit different. Instead of searching it with no spaces like yours (010203040506) mine requires me to search it with a space (01 02 03 04 05 06) maybe it's because of the file type of my qcn, instead of .qcn i got .xqcn from the QPST backup. THANK YOU SO MUCH, you're a life saver mate. :good: :victory:

bonsoljoshua

Aug 31, 2013

Based on my experience :

What is your version of miui?
The exact version when your option 1 works?

bonsoljoshua

Aug 31, 2013
What's your custom rom?

What custom rom do you use when option 1 works? Is it nougat or oreo?

How about the kernel? Is it the original kernel or custom kernel?

bonsoljoshua

Aug 31, 2013
RR v6.0.0 Oreo Unofficial by EndLess
both stock and franco kernel working
EDIT : also using latest global stable firmware

What's your phone? nickel or mido?

what do you mean by global stable firmware?
the stock rom from miui? what version of global stable?

Is RR v6.0.0 Oreo Unofficial by EndLess smooth in PUBG?

justreybro

Aug 31, 2015
What's your phone? nickel or mido?

what do you mean by global stable firmware?
the stock rom from miui? what version of global stable?

Is RR v6.0.0 Oreo Unofficial by EndLess smooth in PUBG?

I'm pretty sure my device is mido (snapdragon)

if you're using custom rom, you should flash latest firmware which is based on latest miui, here's link to it, please read the thread carefully :
https://xdaforums.com/redmi-note-4/...lopment/firmware-xiaomi-redmi-note-4-t3760917

hell yea it's really good, I'm playing pubg mobile myself.

I recommend changing both cpu and gpu governor to performance in Kernel Adiutor before play
and also install app called PUBG GFX in the playstore, set it 1280x720(smooth), 60fps, disable shadows.
and before start PUBG, use app called Resolution Changer, and reduce the resolution to 16:9 450x800/576x1024

it's a bit hassle but the performance is worth it :)

kaew158

Nov 3, 2015
How to spoof WiFi Mac for Redmi Note 5 ( 5 Plus) (vince) SD625?
I can not find original mac address inside qcn file. The hex number are not matching original mac address.

unicastbg

May 1, 2011
Sofia
Sony Xperia V
Xiaomi Mi 5s
Hello,
I am trying both options to change my MAC address. using option 1 I found the file (WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini), but it was in /System/Vendor/etc/wifi. I changed the MAC address there, did a reboot and had the MAC address before the modification. Interestingly enough this MAC is not even in this file.
I decided to move that file to the /data/misc/wifi folder but that also had no effect at all. So I moved to Option 2.
I was able to get the xml version of the backup file - xqcn, as qcn gave me encoded things which I couldn't edit.
However I'm still not able to find my MAC address in the xqcn file. I have confirmed what it is by checking the phone and the router both.
And maybe the reason for all this is I'm using Mi 5s on MIUI 10 global (dev.) 8.11.15.
I'd welcome any suggestion you might have. My wife and I have the same phones and now one is stealing the other's network :)

crispyduck

May 6, 2008
Hi, while searching for a way to change the MAC Address on my Redmi Note 4 (mido) running actual LineageOS 15.1 weekly + Franco Kernel r17 I found a very easy solution.

Simply edit the mac in following file:
/sys/devices/soc/a000000.qcom,wcnss-wlan/wcnss_mac_addr

disable/enable wifi and mac address should be changed.
After a reboot your original mac gets restored.

Br,
crispyduck

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Option 2
    THIS OPTION WORKS ON ANY SNAPDRAGON SOC DEVICES

1. Requirements
    - Redmi Note 4X (Snapdragon) (mido) / Any Qualcomm Snapdragon Devices
    - ‎PC/Laptop
    - ‎ROOT Access

2. Download

- Terminal Emulator
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jackpal.androidterm

- QPST Tools
    https://androiddatahost.com/np4wq

- Notepad++
    https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/

- Qualcomm Driver
    http://www.androidbrick.com/download/qualcomm-qdloader-hs-9008-edl-usb-driver/

3. How to
    - Device state turned on
    - Install all QPST and Qualcomm Driver, reboot pc
    - Open terminal emulator on your device then input commands below

su
    setprop sys.usb.config diag,adb

- Open QPST and Start Client-->Software Download.
    then go to Backup and take a backup
    - Open a copy of the resulting file (*.qcn) in Notepad++ and search your phone's mac address as hex.
    Eg. : if your mac address is 01:02:03:04:05:06 search it as 01 02 03 04 05 06

IMPORTANT:

- You will get some search results. Now edit every search result with your desired MAC address. (approx 4 edits)
    - And finally restore this edited *.qcn file and reboot your phone once complete.

That's all i wanted to share, if works simply leave a like to support me against my existential crisis. Thank
    *DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK*
    *I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MAC ADDRESS FOR ILLEGAL PURPOSES*

Since there's no thread about it, I'll go ahead make one.
    This guide is based on my experience, so if i miss something just tell me about it.

If what you're trying to do is to fix broken MAC Address on your custom ROM, please just flash latest firmware.

Option 1

1. Requirements
    - Redmi Note 4X (Snapdragon) (mido)
    nikel user read text below*
    - ‎ROOT access
    - ‎File manager with root access (i recommend MiXplorer)

2. Download
    - MiXplorer : https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/pishr...release/mixplorer-6-27-4-android-apk-download

3. Change MAC Address
    - Turn off wifi
    - Open your file manager
    - ‎Go to system folder(which us require root access)
    - ‎Open /data/misc/wifi/
    - ‎Open WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini as text, then open with text editor
    - ‎Scroll down find 'Inf0MacAddress=XXXXXXXXXXX'
    - Change the value to the MAC Address you want without ':'

IMPORTANT:

- Save
    - Turn on wifi then done

That's all, if you can't find WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini try option 2 in the next post

*i do not own nikel device, but based on my experience that in mediatek device you can find /data/nvram/APCFG/APRDEB, then change the value in the WIFI file. I'm not sure about the directory, just focus finding /APCFG/APRDEB/ folder. If someone succeed please tell me the exact directory in nikel please, so i can share it with you guys.
    Hi, while searching for a way to change the MAC Address on my Redmi Note 4 (mido) running actual LineageOS 15.1 weekly + Franco Kernel r17 I found a very easy solution.

Simply edit the mac in following file:
    /sys/devices/soc/a000000.qcom,wcnss-wlan/wcnss_mac_addr

disable/enable wifi and mac address should be changed.
    After a reboot your original mac gets restored.

Br,
    crispyduck
    UPDATE APRIL 2019

Option 2 works on any qualcomm soc devices.
    Tried it on:
    - Asus Max Pro M1 (SD636)
    - Redmi Note 5 Pro (SD636)
    - Mi 5 (SD821)