[GUIDE] How to change your PRL while using CM7

Search This thread

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
YES YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY

First off, huge props to Bierce and Oostah for all the searching and then providing me the info on how we might be able to enter DIAG mode on your phone while on CM7. All I did was manage to get it to work, and taking a leap of faith by trying to change my prl while using CM7 :eek:

Something we never thought was possible...​

Second, this isn't exactly for the faint of heart. QPST can really mess up your phone if you don't know what you're doing (read as: venture off and mess around with the program). Also, since I literally just did this this evening, there obviously hasn't been extensive testing with it. So "continue at your own risk".
Personally I haven't had issues with it and I've changed my PRL about 5 times to make sure it works. But still, it goes without saying: I'm not responsible if your phone gets FUBAR

What you'll need:
MSL -> (msl reader app)
Diagnostic Drivers (htc) -> google it for now, but I think these are the correct ones you need LINK
QPST -> Get the latest version here

1. install QPST
  2. Get your MSL
  3. Install the Htc Diagnostic Drivers (if needed)
  4. Connect your phone to your PC
  5. Open 'Terminal Emulator' on your phone and enter the following:
    Code:
    echo 1 > /dev/qct_diag_enable
    This enables Diagnostics Mode, which enables us to use QPST :D
    23ljhfk.png
  6. Open QPST Configuration
  7. Select the "Ports" tab
  8. Click "Add New Port"
  9. Uncheck "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only"
    2rm1hna.png
  10. Click on your device and hit OK
  11. Highlight your phone on the "Ports" tab
  12. Open up the "Start Clients" menu
  13. Click on "Service Programming"
    2vx4p5i.png
  14. QPST Service Programming will open up and a "Phone Selection" window will appear: Click your phone if needed, and press OK
    i2odx5.png
  15. Now select the "Roam" tab and click on "Read from Phone" button
  16. Enter your MSL, OK
    35a3tpl.png
  17. Click on the "Browse" button and select the PRL file you want on your phone
  18. Click the "Write to Phone" button next to the "read phone" button
    2ilgg1w.png
  19. Wait for it to finish writing to the phone. You might (read as most likely) get an error box, click OK on it.
    5edfk7.png
  20. Once all that is done, you can reboot your phone and enjoy the changed PRL without nandroiding, nand-restoring/flashing, etc. etc. :D

I just want to mention that the first time I did it, I lost my Mobile Data connection (3g) and after a reboot it was stuck on 1x. After another reboot, it was back to normal. But I believe that it was because I tried a verizon PRL that drops my service to almost 0.

End results​

333lqbs.png
34is09z.png

Yes, I know the status bars are 2 different colors. I have the Orion theme on my SDcard at the moment so it takes a little while to load up. But I assure you its the exact same CM7 rom and everything.

Last edited:

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
Kyouko > heroc :(
Kyouko ~ shooter :)

BANG! from my shooter...
I'm still waiting on the Within (SGSII) to get released for sprint. I wanna check that out before I get an upgrade. Either way, probably wont get a new phone till fall :/

Sent from my HERO200 using XDA App

oostah

Oct 15, 2010
Cullowhee
I'm still waiting on the Within (SGSII) to get released for sprint. I wanna check that out before I get an upgrade. Either way, probably wont get a new phone till fall :/

NICE JOB man i found the same thing was coming to tell you about the

and to disable it

echo 0 > /dev/qct_diag_disable

it may be echo 1 then > /dev/qct_diag_disable
i will test then edit post

Reactions: bezeek

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
it would be:
Code:
echo 0 > /dev/qct_diag_enable
to turn diag mode on and off, respectively

/dev/qct_diag_disable doesn't exist :)

You can check that with terminal emulator...
Code:
su
cd /dev/
ls

Last edited:

kyouko

Mar 6, 2010
Thought I'd mention that I've used this method easily more than 20 times between my phone and another hero with ZERO problems.

I know in the OP it might sound a little scary, the warning is mostly for screwing around with QPST in the areas not talked about.

Sent from my Hero using Tapatalk

wrenched

Jan 7, 2011
Harnett Co, NC
I am running Windows 7 Professional on my computer. For whatever reason, while trying to install the drivers and HTC sync, I could never get my phone to connect. I tried manually updating the diagnostics drivers to no avail. I fought with it for about an hour before saying forget it(not exact terminology). I am not sure if others have encountered this, but I will post my work around. I searched for a virtual machine solution with no results, so also not sure if its been talked about in other threads.

My job is programming controllers for building automation. I know a few pieces of our software will not work properly with W7. We have to run a virtual machine on our computers. Microsoft has been so kind that if you are running Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, or Ultimate, you can download, for free, an XP Virtual Machine. I'm going to assume, since what you guys are able to do with phones is over my head, you know what a Virtual machine is.

I apologize about the links, since I am a newbie, I can't post outside links, if you need the links, PM me and I will give them to you.

Here is the link to Microsoft's site where the VM ware is(I could only get IE Explorer to work, I normally use Firefox but it wouldn't work with the microsoft security): Google "XP Mode" The first link should be one to microsoft's website.

Go through the steps and download the xp mode and virtual machine. continue with the installation. With this, I installed Sync 2.0.40 with no problems. No additional drivers to install.

HTC Site: Under the downloads section on the HTC Site for the hero

Hooked up my phone. Everything worked as it should. I've now switched between a few different PRLS. I've been running CM7 and just switched to Jaybob's AOSP 2.3.5.

I'm not sure if this will ever help anybody, but I thought I would at least post it.

dirtsky

Great guide man. This helps alot with changing the prl. I really got tired of flashing back to stock then back to cm7. 2 thumbs up.

Sent from my finger tips using the XDA App

edit: Well i tried this little tutorial and it didn't do crap for me.

Last edited:

tayzer522

Feb 15, 2011
Davenport
Nice guide, but that seems a lot harder than just doing a nandroid backup, flashing a sense rom (fresh in my case), updating PRL/Profile/etc, and restoring from your original backup.

xraypipeliner

Aug 25, 2010
Im stuck on 1x data with the PRL 21081. Should I try updateing to fix this? Also my Wifi says error all the time and wont turn on if that has anything to do with it. Thanks.

hareofthedog

Dec 24, 2010
After some initial difficulty getting setup (the main issue being the diagnostic drivers (vista drivers) listed in the link didn't work on MY 64 bit win7 setup. I did find an alternate source that worked, I'll link it here if I can track it down...) I was able to get this working, and once setup, it's a breeze. Definitely easier than going back to a sense rom to do it.

It was only the initial setup that was a pain. So, my hero took a couple hours of mucking around to ultimately update the PRL, BUT, took about 5 minutes to update my son's, and the bulk of THAT time was getting msl reader on his phone, and rebooting after the write to phone phase.

Awesome.

bdbc

Mar 19, 2011
After some initial difficulty getting setup (the main issue being the diagnostic drivers (vista drivers) listed in the link didn't work on MY 64 bit win7 setup. I did find an alternate source that worked, I'll link it here if I can track it down...) I was able to get this working, and once setup, it's a breeze. Definitely easier than going back to a sense rom to do it.

It was only the initial setup that was a pain. So, my hero took a couple hours of mucking around to ultimately update the PRL, BUT, took about 5 minutes to update my son's, and the bulk of THAT time was getting msl reader on his phone, and rebooting after the write to phone phase.

Awesome.

Yeah, if you can find the link to what worked for you with this process that'd be great. I had the same problem you mentioned when I attempted this with the wife's phone. But I never found the right drivers. I would be eternally grateful.

bdbc

Mar 19, 2011
These are the ones that worked for me, found them here, of course, :eek:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=801570

Unfortunately this didn't change anything for me. I am trying to update the prl on an evo shift though, so that may be the ultimate factor after all. I may just have to give in and revert her phone back to stock temporarily to update it. I've used QPST many times with updating my Epic, so I'm certainly comfortable with that aspect. I thank you for your assistance nonetheless. Hopefully it will be the determining factor for someone else in a similar position.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    YES YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY

First off, huge props to Bierce and Oostah for all the searching and then providing me the info on how we might be able to enter DIAG mode on your phone while on CM7. All I did was manage to get it to work, and taking a leap of faith by trying to change my prl while using CM7 :eek:

Something we never thought was possible...​

Second, this isn't exactly for the faint of heart. QPST can really mess up your phone if you don't know what you're doing (read as: venture off and mess around with the program). Also, since I literally just did this this evening, there obviously hasn't been extensive testing with it. So "continue at your own risk".
    Personally I haven't had issues with it and I've changed my PRL about 5 times to make sure it works. But still, it goes without saying: I'm not responsible if your phone gets FUBAR

What you'll need:
    MSL -> (msl reader app)
    Diagnostic Drivers (htc) -> google it for now, but I think these are the correct ones you need LINK
    QPST -> Get the latest version here

1. install QPST
    2. Get your MSL
    3. Install the Htc Diagnostic Drivers (if needed)
    4. Connect your phone to your PC
    5. Open 'Terminal Emulator' on your phone and enter the following:
      Code:
      This enables Diagnostics Mode, which enables us to use QPST :D
      23ljhfk.png
    6. Open QPST Configuration
    7. Select the "Ports" tab
    8. Click "Add New Port"
    9. Uncheck "Show Serial and USB/QC Diagnostic ports only"
      2rm1hna.png
    10. Click on your device and hit OK
    11. Highlight your phone on the "Ports" tab
    12. Open up the "Start Clients" menu
    13. Click on "Service Programming"
      2vx4p5i.png
    14. QPST Service Programming will open up and a "Phone Selection" window will appear: Click your phone if needed, and press OK
      i2odx5.png
    15. Now select the "Roam" tab and click on "Read from Phone" button
    16. Enter your MSL, OK
      35a3tpl.png
    17. Click on the "Browse" button and select the PRL file you want on your phone
    18. Click the "Write to Phone" button next to the "read phone" button
      2ilgg1w.png
    19. Wait for it to finish writing to the phone. You might (read as most likely) get an error box, click OK on it.
      5edfk7.png
    20. Once all that is done, you can reboot your phone and enjoy the changed PRL without nandroiding, nand-restoring/flashing, etc. etc. :D

I just want to mention that the first time I did it, I lost my Mobile Data connection (3g) and after a reboot it was stuck on 1x. After another reboot, it was back to normal. But I believe that it was because I tried a verizon PRL that drops my service to almost 0.

End results​

333lqbs.png
    34is09z.png

Yes, I know the status bars are 2 different colors. I have the Orion theme on my SDcard at the moment so it takes a little while to load up. But I assure you its the exact same CM7 rom and everything.
    These are the ones that worked for me, found them here, of course, :eek:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=801570

NICE JOB man i found the same thing was coming to tell you about the

and to disable it

echo 0 > /dev/qct_diag_disable

it may be echo 1 then > /dev/qct_diag_disable
    i will test then edit post