[Guide] How to check the Anti Value of your Rom or a Rom that you want to install

Search This thread

sfairmm

Nov 25, 2018
São Paulo
Dear all,

I have a Global Mi Max 3, firmware Androidversion 9 PKQ1.181007.001, MIUI 10.3.1.0 (PEDMIXM). In about 2 hours I will be able to unlock the Bootloader, and I would like to flash the firmware from xiaomi.eu "xiaomi.eu_multi_MIMAX3_V10.3.1.0.PEDCNXM_v10-9". Will this FW break my phone due to AR?

Many thanks!

Hi,
In theory, no problem. The version of Eu Rom that you will install is the same as that of Global, and Eu Rom does not install Firmware, which triggers the ARB. You can check if Eu Rom has ARB on the link below post #6.
https://xdaforums.com/mi-max-3/help/xiaomi-mi-max3-rom-global-to-rom-eu-t3866762#post79315495

Before undertaking any procedure, seek other opinions, including from people who have tested the solution.

P.S.
On devices with ARB there are reports that indicate flash dumy.img before flash TWRP. In the Oreo version I did not do this processing, i flash TWRP directly, in Pie i dont know.

---
Make Backup.

Good luck!

bubu_pappa

Sep 9, 2010
Hi,
In theory, no problem. The version of Eu Rom that you will install is the same as that of Global, and Eu Rom does not install Firmware, which triggers the ARB. You can check if Eu Rom has ARB on the link below post #6.
https://xdaforums.com/mi-max-3/help/xiaomi-mi-max3-rom-global-to-rom-eu-t3866762#post79315495

Before undertaking any procedure, seek other opinions, including from people who have tested the solution.

P.S.
On devices with ARB there are reports that indicate flash dumy.img before flash TWRP. In the Oreo version I did not do this processing, i flash TWRP directly, in Pie i dont know.

---
Make Backup.

Good luck!

Many thanks, will give it a try ;) Backup is done.
Cheers

P.S.: Worked well :)

Last edited:

Dacoco

Dec 8, 2010
I'm getting crazy with this Antirollback...

I am on XIAOMI.EU MIUI11 ( 9.9.27 ) and i would like to flash a Pixel Experience AOSP ROM to test something. Afterwards i want to go back to MIUI 11!

I need to flash firmware 9.6.27 to install Pixel Experience. Tried without it but TWRP won't let me flash (ERROR 7). So i need to downgrade the firmware but both are PIE.
Alternatively i could flash Havoc ROM which needs firmware 9.9.3.

What i don't understand
a) XIAOMI.EU ROMs don't have ARB right? Does every ROM contain the firmware?
b) If not - if i just flash the current XIAOMI.EU ROM since about a year my firmware is maybe way older than 9.6.27 i suppose installing 9.6.27 isn't really a downgrade.

What do you think?

Checked the xbl.elf of the firmware 9.6.27 (for installing Pixel Experience ROM) and HEX 0x1480 is 01.00000004 so ARB 4.
Checked the xbl.elf of the firmware 9.9.3 (for installing Havoc ROM) and HEX 0x1480 is 01.00000004 so ARB 4.

I don't know anything about the ARB value of my current firmware though.
Is 4 the highest ARB value? Then i could flash it and Havor will probably work.
But what about MIUI 11 then? Can i easily revert to MIUI11 XIAOMI.EU 9.9.27 or will this cause a brick? In therory die 9.9.27 ROM contains a xbl.elf with HEX 0x1480 is 01.00000004 so ARB 4.

Thanks!

sfairmm

Nov 25, 2018
São Paulo
I'm getting crazy with this Antirollback...

I am on XIAOMI.EU MIUI11 ( 9.9.27 ) and i would like to flash a Pixel Experience AOSP ROM to test something. Afterwards i want to go back to MIUI 11!

I need to flash firmware 9.6.27 to install Pixel Experience. Tried without it but TWRP won't let me flash (ERROR 7). So i need to downgrade the firmware but both are PIE.
Alternatively i could flash Havoc ROM which needs firmware 9.9.3.

What i don't understand
a) XIAOMI.EU ROMs don't have ARB right? Does every ROM contain the firmware?
b) If not - if i just flash the current XIAOMI.EU ROM since about a year my firmware is maybe way older than 9.6.27 i suppose installing 9.6.27 isn't really a downgrade.

What do you think?

Checked the xbl.elf of the firmware 9.6.27 (for installing Pixel Experience ROM) and HEX 0x1480 is 01.00000004 so ARB 4.
Checked the xbl.elf of the firmware 9.9.3 (for installing Havoc ROM) and HEX 0x1480 is 01.00000004 so ARB 4.

I don't know anything about the ARB value of my current firmware though.
Is 4 the highest ARB value? Then i could flash it and Havor will probably work.
But what about MIUI 11 then? Can i easily revert to MIUI11 XIAOMI.EU 9.9.27 or will this cause a brick? In therory die 9.9.27 ROM contains a xbl.elf with HEX 0x1480 is 01.00000004 so ARB 4.

Thanks!

Really ARB is irritating!
I didn't do any testing as this may put the device in EDL mode, but here are some concepts to try to clarify.

TWRP ERROR 7, you can try to fix flashing boot.img by TWRP. You extract from the installed ROM or the last one you installed.

The EU ROM has ARB because it installs the firmware. Most custom ROMs do not install firmware, so they do not have ARB. Firmware is made by the device vendor, not the community, such as ROMs, so no firmware without ARB can be found.

The mentioned versions (9.6.27) apparently are versions linked to the firmware versions and in theory would not have much trouble going back, for example from 9.6.27 to 9.6.20 as they both run on Android Pie. The ARB value increases with each Android version change, not the rom or firmware.

The ARB value has no increment limit, but in theory should assume low values ​​because it would be linked to changing the version of Android.

Almost all xiao*** devices (I don't know any other vendors) are born with the value of ARB = 1, but ARB only becomes a problem from value 4, because that's where it triggers Android boot, causing deviation startup etc. .

You cannot see the ARB version of your device, becouse the ADB Tools versions.

I recommend that you research more sources before making any attempt and, if possible, sharing with us.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Dacoco

Dec 8, 2010
Hi sfairmm,

i just tried it and flashes 9.9.3 and Havos OS and afterwards 9.6.27 and Pixel Experience. This worked perfectly. I had to format data (internal sd) though.
As Android Auto Wireless (which was my main reason to test another rom) i'm gonna stay with pixel experience for a while. Maybe i'll never go back to MIUI. So at least i tested 50% by now...

Thanks!

Reactions: sfairmm

che abe

May 7, 2020
Hello guys!
I know this was much wanted in our community.
For some strange reason, the "fastboot getvar Anti" doesnt work on Mi Max 3. it might say "variable not found" or "getvar failed / not found"
this leads to people bricking their devices thinking that they dont have AntiRollback.

so what exactly is the anti value? the anti value indicates the version of the Anti-rollback mechanism installed on the hardware of your device.
Anything below 3 means no ARB. 3 is a more complicated version (doesnt exist on Max 3) and 4 is basiclly ARB as we know it now.

Lets say that you want to check the Anti value of your device on your current installed rom or want to install :
1. Find the recovery version of the rom that you installed / want to install
2. go to the firmware-update folder inside of it
3. move xbl.elf out of the rom to your PC
4. open it in any hex editor (online or program)
5. go to line 0x1480
6. you will see something like "0.00000X000" and above it will be "californial"
7. if X is 1, that means that this rom doesnt have antirollback meaning that if you dont have arb, you can downgrade to that version or install it without getting the ARB, but if you have ARB you cant install it or you will brick your device.
if X is 4, that means that this rom has antirollback meaning that if you dont have arb, you will get it when you install this rom, and for ARB users as long as this is a higher version than the one you have currently installed on your device you can install it safely without bricking your device

Stay Safe and please dont brick your devices!

For more information on Anti-Rollback please head: here

where to find

1. Find the recovery version of the rom that you installed

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys!
    I know this was much wanted in our community.
    For some strange reason, the "fastboot getvar Anti" doesnt work on Mi Max 3. it might say "variable not found" or "getvar failed / not found"
    this leads to people bricking their devices thinking that they dont have AntiRollback.

so what exactly is the anti value? the anti value indicates the version of the Anti-rollback mechanism installed on the hardware of your device.
    Anything below 3 means no ARB. 3 is a more complicated version (doesnt exist on Max 3) and 4 is basiclly ARB as we know it now.

Lets say that you want to check the Anti value of your device on your current installed rom or want to install :
    1. Find the recovery version of the rom that you installed / want to install
    3. move xbl.elf out of the rom to your PC
    4. open it in any hex editor (online or program)
    5. go to line 0x1480
    6. you will see something like "0.00000X000" and above it will be "californial"
    7. if X is 1, that means that this rom doesnt have antirollback meaning that if you dont have arb, you can downgrade to that version or install it without getting the ARB, but if you have ARB you cant install it or you will brick your device.
    if X is 4, that means that this rom has antirollback meaning that if you dont have arb, you will get it when you install this rom, and for ARB users as long as this is a higher version than the one you have currently installed on your device you can install it safely without bricking your device

Stay Safe and please dont brick your devices!

For more information on Anti-Rollback please head: here
    Hi, couldn't find xbl.elf in the indicate folder in ROM 8.9.13 downloaded from xiaomi.eu, any ideas please?
    They removed bootloader update(not messing up with ARB) but left the firmwares updates which is good...
    You should refer bit position by OFFSET.
    And the ARB bit offset is 148B.
    Looking at this file for Mix1 eu 8.9.13.

Because the tz.mbn file has been changed.

How does one know which bit/ byte is the correct one for ARB?

And I see "Californial", not "Californication". Lol.
    Offset might shift for different devices but here is what it looks like - top 8.8.3, bottom 8.8.9 with ARB
    Hi, couldn't find xbl.elf in the indicate folder in ROM 8.9.13 downloaded from xiaomi.eu, any ideas please?

if you installed xiaomi.eu 8.8.30 in the past you have anti rollback