[Guide] How to debrand/flash your HTC 7 Mozart

Search This thread

Casey_boy

Retired Recognized Developer
Feb 2, 2010
This is a guide on how to flash a new ROM to your HTC 7 Mozart, without using Goldcard. This method can be used to update your ROM or to debrand your phone.

This method was outlined here by theintelligent. I've also used info from here by alalai. I take no credit for discovering this, but thought it deserved a pinned topic to help stop the multiple "how do I flash" topics and to make it easier for users to find the information.

Before you start

:) This WILL debrand your phone (remove network customisations) and it will enable you to receive updates as soon as Microsoft release them (rather than waiting for the operators).

:( It WILL NOT unlock your device (to allow you to use other network's SIMs). You will need to use a commercial service for this.

:) You WILL be able to update your phone to NoDo (and later leaked versions when they appear).

Preparation

I'm not sure why, I think it may be due to getting the right drivers installed, but you will need to install one of the following:

Windows XP users:
Install Microsoft ActiveSync .

Windows Vista/7 users:

Install Windows Mobile Device Center - make sure you install the right version 32/64bit depending upon your OS version.​

Ensure that your phone's battery has at least 50% charge.

Download and flash your ROMs

Yes, I said ROMs - if you want to debrand your phone, you will need to download two sets of ROMs. If you're just updating and not debranding then you'll just need to download one ROM.

1. Download a ROM which is by the same network as you're on (for example if you're phone is currently locked to Orange UK then download RUU_Mozart_Orange_UK_1.22.061.10_Radio_5.50.09.18_ 22.24.50.09U, by ansar. - do not download 1.30!).
  2. Open up ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center
  3. Flash this ROM to your phone (you may not need to do this step, but most users will).
    • Turn your phone off.
    • Put your phone into Bootloader Mode - this can be done by pressing and holding the Volume Down Key & Power Button.
    • Plug your phone into your PC, hopefully a HTC USB driver will install. :rolleyes:
    • Once the driver is installed your phone should display USB mode.
    • Extract the zip file and then run the exe file
    • Run through the update process
    • When your ROM is flashed, your phone will want you to customise it - just do the basic stuff.
  4. Download the ROM you would like to flash (e.g. RUU_Mozart_HTC_Europe_1.30.401.01_5.54.09.21_22.33 b.50_RELEASE).
  5. Extract the unbranded ROM zip file and then extract the exe file (WinZip will not do this - try 7zip or similar).
  6. Copy the RUU_signed.nbh from the unbranded ROM
  7. Extract the branded ROM exe
  8. Paste the RUU_signed.nbh from the unbranded ROM to branded ROM
  9. Plug your phone back into the PC in bootloader mode
  10. Run RomUpdateUtility.exe file from the branded ROM (but with the unbranded RUU_signed.nbh file)
  11. Follow the steps...
  12. Et voila, you'll have (if all goes well) and unbranded ROM installed
  13. Last step, plug your phone back into your PC and run Zune. Your phone should receive the latest cumulative update.

Let me know if anything isn't clear or needs updating. I am not going to list all ROMs, but there are a plethora of them available here.

Casey

Last edited:

trixnix

Mar 22, 2010
Quezon City
thanks so much for this. i will try asap if my asia unbranded mozart will be flashed.

edit: question if i dont want to unbrand my mozart coz it already unbranded asia will i flash the htc_europe rom only? pls enlighten mo. ima little confused. =)

Last edited:

Casey_boy

Feb 2, 2010
edit: question if i dont want to unbrand my mozart coz it already unbranded asia will i flash the htc_europe rom only? pls enlighten mo. ima little confused. =)

Yes, if you're sure it's unbranded, then you can flash any ROM you like. Just make sure there's no difference between Asian and European models (I honestly don't know either way).

Casey

Omega Point

Nov 7, 2008
London
This is probably a stupid question but, after debranding can you still install operator specific apps (such as Orange UK's 'Your Orange' app) from the Marketplace?

Last edited:

alljerry04

Jan 3, 2011
Taipei
i try to flash my asian version Mozart,

when i open the ROMUpdateUtility after it starts,

the Windows Mobile Device Center will automatically close, is that normal?

i flashed "RUU_Mozart_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.26.707.01_Radio_5.51.09.06_22.30.50.09U_by_ansar" first

And i paste the RUU_signed.nbh of "RUU_Mozart_HTC_Europe_1.30.401.01_5.54.09.21_22.33b.50_RELEASE" and flashed it.

the RUU always show invaild vender

thx u :)

Last edited:

Casey_boy

Feb 2, 2010
i flashed "RUU_Mozart_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.26.707.01_Radio_5.51.09.06_22.30.50.09U_by_ansar" first

And i paste the RUU_signed.nbh of "RUU_Mozart_HTC_Europe_1.30.401.01_5.54.09.21_22.33b.50_RELEASE" and flashed it.

I'm not sure if you can cross regions - I haven't tried it - someone else here may know. Maybe try another ROM.

R3PUBL1K

Jun 7, 2007
ɒzəl.twɪzəl
Hi,

Great post.

If you going to flash via the bootloader then AS or WMDC do not need to be running.

Before attempting to flash a device ensure the battery has a charge of more than 50%

It is always good practise to perform another hard reset after flashing a ROM.

R3PUBL1K

Jun 7, 2007
ɒzəl.twɪzəl
i try to flash my asian version Mozart,

thx u :)

I'm not sure if you can cross regions - I haven't tried it - someone else here may know. Maybe try another ROM.

Hi,

I think you will need to create a goldcard and purchase a cable (new days) or even HARD-SPL or CID (old days) to unlock your device if you want to flash ROMS from different regions, when the option becomes available for the Mozart. (if ever).

Last edited:

metalgearslug

Mar 24, 2011
Random Apps

I downloaded and installed the rom for the unbranded mozart for europe and HATE the fact you can't select the uk keyboard... So I installed the original orange one from ansaar but it has these silly apps that I can't uninstall... anyone know how to get rid?

R3PUBL1K

Jun 7, 2007
ɒzəl.twɪzəl
As the ROM is branded then you cannot get rid of the carriers customisation, as for the keyboard, this is really no big deal, the £ key can still be used, and its not as if its a full qwerty anyway.

Infuriated-Germ

Nov 20, 2007
London
I have a UK Orange Mozart (Sim Locked) and unbranded to the Euro 1.28 using this method. When I connected to Zune it immediately wanted to upgrade the OS to the Pre-NoDo update but it refuses to see NoDo.

However there are reports of people flashing unbranded 7389 OS builds successfully getting the Official NoDo via Zune who are also in the UK so it's very unclear how MS are "Delivering" the updates. What do Microsoft really mean by "Open Market" ?

What isn't clear is if the unbranded phones were also sim unlocked.

Last edited:

Casey_boy

Feb 2, 2010
I have a UK Orange Mozart (Sim Locked) and unbranded to the Euro 1.28 using this method. When I connected to Zune it immediately wanted to upgrade the OS to the Pre-NoDo update but it refuses to see NoDo.

However there are reports of people flashing unbranded 7389 OS builds successfully getting the Official NoDo via Zune who are also in the UK so it's very unclear how MS are "Delivering" the updates. What do Microsoft really mean by "Open Market" ?

What isn't clear is if the unbranded phones were also sim unlocked.

I wrote this guide after flashing my girlfriend's Mozart (which was OrangeUK branded) to Euro 1.30 which was OS v7389 and as soon as the 7390NoDo update was released she was asked to update.

So, yes, I'm unsure. Perhaps they are going by OS version. But if you want NoDo, then flash 7389 (which is essentially NoDo anyway) and then you'll get updated to 7390.

Casey

knirirr

Mar 29, 2011
[*]Download a ROM which is by the same network as you're on (for example if you're phone is currently locked to Orange UK then download RUU_Mozart_Orange_UK_1.22.061.10_Radio_5.50.09.18_ 22.24.50.09U, by ansar. - do not download 1.30!).
[*]Open up ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center
[*]Flash this ROM to your phone (you may not need to do this step, but most users will).
  • Turn your phone off.
  • Put your phone into Bootloader Mode - this can be done by pressing and holding the Volume Down Key + Power Button.
  • Plug your phone into your PC, hopefully a HTC USB driver will install. :rolleyes:

Hopefully no-one minds me registering to ask for advice on de-branding. I have a question about the part of the procedure above where the branded ROM is first flashed. The version for my phone is here:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1007277

But, when I unzip that, there's no complete .exe as it's already been extracted. The unbranded ROM is an .exe which I had to extract with 7zip, though. So, what .exe should I run for the initial flash with the branded ROM (e.g. RomUpdateUtility, EnterBootloader, something else etc.)? Thanks.

Casey_boy

Feb 2, 2010
But, when I unzip that, there's no complete .exe as it's already been extracted. The unbranded ROM is an .exe which I had to extract with 7zip, though. So, what .exe should I run for the initial flash with the branded ROM (e.g. RomUpdateUtility, EnterBootloader, something else etc.)? Thanks.

Run the ROMUpdateUtility executable :)

Casey

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a guide on how to flash a new ROM to your HTC 7 Mozart, without using Goldcard. This method can be used to update your ROM or to debrand your phone.

This method was outlined here by theintelligent. I've also used info from here by alalai. I take no credit for discovering this, but thought it deserved a pinned topic to help stop the multiple "how do I flash" topics and to make it easier for users to find the information.

Before you start

:) This WILL debrand your phone (remove network customisations) and it will enable you to receive updates as soon as Microsoft release them (rather than waiting for the operators).

:( It WILL NOT unlock your device (to allow you to use other network's SIMs). You will need to use a commercial service for this.

:) You WILL be able to update your phone to NoDo (and later leaked versions when they appear).

Preparation

I'm not sure why, I think it may be due to getting the right drivers installed, but you will need to install one of the following:

Windows XP users:
    Install Microsoft ActiveSync .

Windows Vista/7 users:

Install Windows Mobile Device Center - make sure you install the right version 32/64bit depending upon your OS version.​

Ensure that your phone's battery has at least 50% charge.

Download and flash your ROMs

Yes, I said ROMs - if you want to debrand your phone, you will need to download two sets of ROMs. If you're just updating and not debranding then you'll just need to download one ROM.

1. Download a ROM which is by the same network as you're on (for example if you're phone is currently locked to Orange UK then download RUU_Mozart_Orange_UK_1.22.061.10_Radio_5.50.09.18_ 22.24.50.09U, by ansar. - do not download 1.30!).
    2. Open up ActiveSync/Mobile Device Center
    3. Flash this ROM to your phone (you may not need to do this step, but most users will).
      • Turn your phone off.
      • Put your phone into Bootloader Mode - this can be done by pressing and holding the Volume Down Key & Power Button.
      • Run through the update process
      • When your ROM is flashed, your phone will want you to customise it - just do the basic stuff.
    4. Download the ROM you would like to flash (e.g. RUU_Mozart_HTC_Europe_1.30.401.01_5.54.09.21_22.33 b.50_RELEASE).
    5. Extract the unbranded ROM zip file and then extract the exe file (WinZip will not do this - try 7zip or similar).
    6. Copy the RUU_signed.nbh from the unbranded ROM
    7. Extract the branded ROM exe
    8. Paste the RUU_signed.nbh from the unbranded ROM to branded ROM
    9. Plug your phone back into the PC in bootloader mode
    10. Run RomUpdateUtility.exe file from the branded ROM (but with the unbranded RUU_signed.nbh file)
    11. Follow the steps...
    12. Et voila, you'll have (if all goes well) and unbranded ROM installed
    13. Last step, plug your phone back into your PC and run Zune. Your phone should receive the latest cumulative update.

Let me know if anything isn't clear or needs updating. I am not going to list all ROMs, but there are a plethora of them available here.

Casey
    Do you have to reinstall all your applications??

Yep. This completely reformats your phone - it's not the same as the update process. You'll lose everything - so backup your data with Zune.

That being said, you can just re-download your apps (even your paid apps).

Casey
    Nope. Your best bet is to sell it and buy an Android handset.
    what i am doing wrong???????

Hi,

I see you say you have done everything but have you flashed the earlier ROM first? ie. flash the RUU_Mozart_TMO_DE_1.20.111.03_Radio_5.50.09.18_22. 24.50.09U, by ansar to your device then copy the RUU_Signed.nbh from the 1.30 to the 1.20 folder and flash again.
    Sorry for my lack of participation in this thread guys! As I think I've said before I don't own a Mozart (my girlfriend does) and after the original debrand she's had no problems.

Casey perhaps change the above to "Volume Down & Power" - my first language is English (well Scots english!) and I read Volume Down (-) + Power, so I was holding both - & + on the volume keys with Power LOL ! Then I sussed out from Wildfire to try the usual way !

DOH !!!

Done :) sorry for the confusion

I wanna go back to the original telstra rom and then update it officially to mango.
    Can I just flash a telstra rom on my mozart? What could go wrong? Can I do this using a mac?

I would imagine that you could just flash the newer ROM if that doesn't work then nothing should "go wrong" (but I can't guarantee that!). No, you can't do it through a Mac (AFAIK).

There is a wealth of detail on flashing the Mozart which has evolved with subsequent firmaware updates. Thanks to all of the excellent contributors for that. I think that I have read most of the ROM flashing instructions but would really appreciate a "roll-up" of the instructions

If you point me to the info you want added, then I can do that.

Casey