[GUIDE] How to edit build.prop on any Android device!

Search This thread

Snow Golem28

Feb 13, 2015
Why doesn't it work on my phone :confused:
I only changed the android version nothing else. Nothing happened when I saved it and reboot.

KenZuki

Feb 15, 2015
Can you help me?

Hi, the one you shared is very helpful .. i just want to ask if i can modify my build prop to enable my LTE on my phone coz my lte capability is gone when i updated my os from jellybean 4.3 to kitkat 4.4.2.. is it posible.. thank u. :)

reggjoo

Jul 12, 2011
Pgh
Motorola Edge
The reason some build.prop edits don't work

I found out, some edits won't work, without changing some values in related files. Find out, if there's a file related to what you want to change, or your edit may not work. Take for example the tweak for wifi.supplicant_scan _interval. There's a file in /system/etc/wifi ,
called wpa_supplicant.conf , that you have to change to the same value, as the change in your build.prop file. As long as you use any file manager, that can change read only, to read write, you can change this. I wondered why my wifi, didn't seem to change, until I did this. See if the change is related to any other files, when you change values.

David Moscow

Sep 26, 2014
Auto change BUILD.PRO on Device

Hello comrades, I am very looking to archive fail bild.pro on different models, and so can someone knows where to find the app or software to automatically change bild.pro
Thanks

Feb 26, 2015
help plz

i have htc one .i followed your methods but every time i change build.propand restart the phone all changes that i made will go back to stock ones.i dont know what else i have too change

bodyjoao

Dec 31, 2013
modify on kitkat 4.4.4

Good, I am a novice in these wanderings, I have a note HDC 4 N910F with 1G of ram and rom 8G ..comprei a 32 G card and what I wanted to do was change the internal memory by the sd card, as formerly fazri in 4.2 (jellybeen), is it possible ?? ...
my phone has two partitions one with about 2G and one with 4G ...
someone can help me in this task is ..if that is possible in 4.4.4 (kitkat) ...
now let my thanks ..

Gedeon2222

Apr 5, 2015
No changes after reboot

Hello,
Thank you for your guide!
I have a problem similar to what some of you have mentioned above, has anybody found a solution?
I have an HTC Desire 820, and I want to change the model number from HTC D820t to HTC Desire 820. I have followed the steps and was able to change the model number and save it, however when I reboot my phone, everything goes back to the original model number. Is there something else I need to change in order to do this?

Thank you for your help!

Reactions: Jepe_Mamar

slaz13

Sep 26, 2007
Pittsburgh, Pa
Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

We will talk more about what this file holds and where its all displayed within your OS. Before we go any further, be aware that you must be rooted, which I assume, all of us are.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

Once in build.prop you can edit the following things:

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.
- Edit your Model # by locating ro.product.model= and changing your model #
- change your product brand by locating ro.product.brand=

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

If you thought this tutorial helped you, please hit that thanks button!

You can also you Build Prop Editor from the play store.

purpleurkle

Apr 29, 2012
okc
Have you ever wanted to use an app from the Google Play store or a game...but it wasn't "supported" on your device?..Well DroidModder is here to the rescue to tell you not to worry at all and that you can use those apps in just seconds by editing one file in your devices system. This file is called build.prop

We will talk more about what this file holds and where its all displayed within your OS. Before we go any further, be aware that you must be rooted, which I assume, all of us are.

Now to access this file, you will need a File Manager, you can use the stock manager but I recommend using ES File Explorer. It is free on the Play Store and I will put a link below to download it. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.estrongs.android.pop&hl=en

Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System

Once that is done, go back to the main part of the app that shows all the folders. On that page in the TOP RIGHT you should see a little window like icon, tap that and a set of icons should appear..on the left, there will be an icon that has a star and says Favorites...hit that please. When you hit favorites, it will display the directories on your device, such as Internal Storage, SD CARD, etc. Please tap the icon that shows your device. It can also be distinguished by a "/". By tapping that we have gone into our Devices Internal Storage. The next step is to navigate the system file...it should be towards the bottom. Now enter the system file and scroll to the bottom..at the bottom there will be your build.prop. Be aware that there is also a file named build.prop.bak, we are not using that file so just leave it alone..and enter the regular build.prop. Open the build.prop, the device will prompt you to ask what editor you would like to use to view/edit the build.prop...just use the ES Note Editor.

-edit Android Version by locating ro.build.version.release= and changing the current Build Version.

Please Note that if you change the product brand, the name MUST be in ALL LOWERCASE LETTERS!!!

Once you are done playing around, press menu, and then Save...now just exit the app and reboot your phone.
Once your device reboots, go to Settings> About Phone/Device and see the changes! ;D

Isn't there something you have to do about making Google play register you as a different device? If someone knows detailed inductions on how to do that, I would greatly appreciate it.

ls980 cm12

ghostmikey

Jun 3, 2015
Once downloaded and installed, Open the application and hit Menu, then tap "Settings", this will bring you to the apps Settings Menu. for me this is where it all ends... Once in the Settings Menu, scroll all the way down to Root Settings. In Root Settings, "check" Root Explorer and Mount File System there is no such thing as root settings all the way down or anywhere else. i see file settings security settings tools settings system settings no root.
and if a click menu it pop up one similar root ecplorer thingand there it has r/w mount r/w. so i set it up here to rw but it sitll doesnt change. note im trying to edit host file.

Nemweb

Jun 20, 2015
Curitiba
Missing line

I had a bootloop and installed Paranoid ROM to fix it. Since this, I can't anymore install stock motorola camera and other apps. I imagined this way of "cheat" then found it. But in my build.prop file there is no "ro.product.model=" line.
May I create it with no problems?

jannaron0728

Aug 19, 2015
Problem parsing the packages

Problem parsing the package when my gingerbread phone change
Into 4.4.2 clash of clans cant install

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thank you so much! :) and yeah I made this mainly to help the people who are new to android

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app
    Very useful specifically for beginners like me! :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    Thanks dude, very noob friendly and useful :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app
    You've got some other warnings, might as well add a warning not to mess with anything else, as doing so can put you in a boot loop. This is intended for noobs, after all.