• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] How to edit build.prop without Root (fix memory management)

Search This thread

scorpion667

Jul 26, 2011
Toronto
We are fighting a losing battle against Google's Safety Net via Systemless Root and various mods which mask root.

For those of us who enjoy Android Pay this may be a worthy alternative to systemless root, which has and will continue getting blocked by Google:

-Ensure adb and fastboot is installed on your PC
-Boot to fastboot and install TWRP if you haven't already
Code:
fastboot flash recovery filename.img
-Reboot to Recovery (TWRP); select Mount -> check System and enable editing System when it prompts you
-Connect device to PC:
Code:
cd C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Desktop
Code:
adb pull /system/build.prop
-The build.prop will be downloaded to your desktop
-Save a copy of the build.prop just in case and make the desired changes via Notepad++ (recommended). To fix the memory utilization look for the line which shows:
Code:
ro.sys.fw.bg_apps_limit=32
and change the 32 to a value between 32 and 100. I find with it set to 90 I can best utilize the 6GB of RAM. I am seeing between 4.1 to 4.4GB utilization in normal use and as high as 4.9 when I'm trying to fill the RAM.
-Once done, run this command to push the file back to phone:
Code:
adb push build.prop /system/
-Fix permissions as not to trip Safety Net (Android Pay):
Code:
adb shell
cd system
chmod 644 build.prop
-you can leave TWRP installed if you want but you can only take OTA with stock recovery. To install stock recovery reboot to fastboot and do:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

I take zero credit for the above. I wanted a solution for having proper memory utilization without root (Android Pay without the hassle) and found the commands on androiding.how

The only problem with the above setup is no adblock (AdAway). I chose to purchase an AdGuard license (root-less adblock) as a workaround.

Last edited:
Reactions: crazykas

Stupifier

Jun 8, 2010
Setting ro.sys.fw.bg_apps_limit=90 seems a bit high.......I noticed most Build.Prop on Custom ROMs are lower than that (between 40 and 60).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We are fighting a losing battle against Google's Safety Net via Systemless Root and various mods which mask root.

For those of us who enjoy Android Pay this may be a worthy alternative to systemless root, which has and will continue getting blocked by Google:

-Ensure adb and fastboot is installed on your PC
    -Boot to fastboot and install TWRP if you haven't already
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery filename.img
    -Reboot to Recovery (TWRP); select Mount -> check System and enable editing System when it prompts you
    -Connect device to PC:
    Code:
    cd C:\Users\YourUsernameHere\Desktop
    Code:
    adb pull /system/build.prop
    -The build.prop will be downloaded to your desktop
    -Save a copy of the build.prop just in case and make the desired changes via Notepad++ (recommended). To fix the memory utilization look for the line which shows:
    Code:
    ro.sys.fw.bg_apps_limit=32
    and change the 32 to a value between 32 and 100. I find with it set to 90 I can best utilize the 6GB of RAM. I am seeing between 4.1 to 4.4GB utilization in normal use and as high as 4.9 when I'm trying to fill the RAM.
    -Once done, run this command to push the file back to phone:
    Code:
    adb push build.prop /system/
    -Fix permissions as not to trip Safety Net (Android Pay):
    Code:
    adb shell
    cd system
    chmod 644 build.prop
    -you can leave TWRP installed if you want but you can only take OTA with stock recovery. To install stock recovery reboot to fastboot and do:
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

I take zero credit for the above. I wanted a solution for having proper memory utilization without root (Android Pay without the hassle) and found the commands on androiding.how

The only problem with the above setup is no adblock (AdAway). I chose to purchase an AdGuard license (root-less adblock) as a workaround.