• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Guide] How to enable wifi tethering

Search This thread

dtb1987

Jan 13, 2012
This guide is for academic and development purposes only and should not be used to circumvent any contracts you have with you cell carrier.
You need to be rooted in order to enable wifi tethering.
Rooting and editing your stock image voids most warranties.
Follow this guide at your own risk. (I can't take responsibility for you braking your phone)

1. Install a Build.prop editor(this isn't mandatory but I find it makes things easier) I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor&hl=en_US
2. add the following line to the build prop: net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
3. Reboot your phone
4. Profit

duh1

Feb 19, 2015
Note, if you are running Magisk, you shouldn't update the build prop directly, which modifies the system partition so you can no longer use an OTA update.

Use this Magisk function (on one line) in a shell file (any_name.sh) with execution permissions (755)...

resetprop net.tethering.noprovisioning true

Added to this directory...

/data/adb/service.d/

or if it doesn't work there, move to this directory...

/data/adb/post-fs-data.d/

I have not tested this myself, but it is how you are supposed to change build prop when using Magisk. Do your own research to make this work properly...

Last edited:

dtb1987

Jan 13, 2012
Note, if you are running Magisk, you shouldn't update the build prop directly, which modifies the system partition so you can no longer use an OTA update.

Use this Magisk function (on one line) in a shell file (any_name.sh) with execution permissions (755)...

resetprop net.tethering.noprovisioning true

Added to this directory...

/data/adb/service.d/

or if it doesn't work there, move to this directory...

/data/adb/post-fs-data.d/

I have not tested this myself, but it is how you are supposed to change build prop when using Magisk. Do your own research to make this work properly...

You shouldn't OTA update a rooted phone to begin with because those updates don't account for changes you may have made. you should be downloading the updates from here: https://developers.google.com/android/images and flashing them manually

duh1

Feb 19, 2015
You shouldn't OTA update a rooted phone to begin with because those updates don't account for changes you may have made. you should be downloading the updates from here: https://developers.google.com/android/images and flashing them manually
You can't run an OTA update on a modified boot image. You use Magisk to revert the boot image back to stock, run the update and re-root. Since it's a systemless root and you don't modify anything directly in the system image, therefore you don't have to revert back to stock system.

I was just offering a quick heads up for those who may be rooted with Magisk, on how to properly modify the build prop without modifying system directly. It's a good thing to learn since many times you'll have to modify those init scripts anyway.

Last edited:

Pasta111man

Sep 5, 2019
Question: I currently have AT&T's (really lame) tethering plan, and my data plan is capped at 5GB data (for my business, AT&T does not offer an unlimited data plan with tethering). So I currently have the ability to turn on/off the Wifi hotspot setting in the phone Settings.
I just rooted the phone and did your update. To test success, I now have to change my plan to unlimited data (no tethering). When I do this, I should be able to still turn on/off the Wifi hotspot via the phone Settings (even though I no longer have the plan with the tethering feature)? Thank you.

Pasta111man

Sep 5, 2019
issues with Android 10?

Hi, I followed these instructions and all is good.... But I'm stuck on Android 9, holding off on moving to Android 10 due to what I've read in other posts about this technique no longer working. Thought I'd check back to see if anyone has had success upgrading to Android 10 - and enabling wifi tethering via the technique mentioned above. Thanks.

DaBigGoog

Nov 9, 2019
Tethering on Android 10

This works for me on Android 10. It systemless-ly adds the
Code:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
line using the resetprop command, and it also runs
Code:
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
which prevents your phone from marking tethered data as such. This makes it harder for your carrier to throttle or block tethered data.

Just keep in mind that if your carrier really cares about tethering, they can still tell through TTL (for IPv4) or Hop Limit (for IPv6) whether or not the traffic is coming from your phone or an attached device. This can be circumvented by setting TTL/Hop Limit on the client devices to 65 before connecting to the hotspot.

Pasta111man

Sep 5, 2019
This works for me on Android 10. It systemless-ly adds the
Code:
net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
line using the resetprop command, and it also runs
Code:
settings put global tether_dun_required 0
which prevents your phone from marking tethered data as such. This makes it harder for your carrier to throttle or block tethered data.

Just keep in mind that if your carrier really cares about tethering, they can still tell through TTL (for IPv4) or Hop Limit (for IPv6) whether or not the traffic is coming from your phone or an attached device. This can be circumvented by setting TTL/Hop Limit on the client devices to 65 before connecting to the hotspot.

Awesome - thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This guide is for academic and development purposes only and should not be used to circumvent any contracts you have with you cell carrier.
    You need to be rooted in order to enable wifi tethering.
    Rooting and editing your stock image voids most warranties.
    Follow this guide at your own risk. (I can't take responsibility for you braking your phone)

1. Install a Build.prop editor(this isn't mandatory but I find it makes things easier) I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrummy.apps.build.prop.editor&hl=en_US
    2. add the following line to the build prop: net.tethering.noprovisioning=true
    3. Reboot your phone
    4. Profit
    You can't run an OTA update on a modified boot image. You use Magisk to revert the boot image back to stock, run the update and re-root. Since it's a systemless root and you don't modify anything directly in the system image, therefore you don't have to revert back to stock system.

I was just offering a quick heads up for those who may be rooted with Magisk, on how to properly modify the build prop without modifying system directly. It's a good thing to learn since many times you'll have to modify those init scripts anyway.
    Which section of the build prop did you put it in?
    I normally put it at the end