[Guide] How to extract payload.bin from OTA

Search This thread

GrandMstrBud

Jan 30, 2007
Google Pixel 6
Step 5 doesn't work

virtualenv : The term 'virtualenv' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable
program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

Found a guide on another site. Wish this had a GUI to make it simple.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I'm looking to extract the payload.bin from a disc img file (android tv box rom)
I have looked around and am struggling to find anything on the subject.
Is this possible.
I would like to extract the boot.img etc and try patch with magisk to obtain root on android 9 T95max firmware.
I'm currently using rooted nougat firmware but would like to update to rooted android 9 instead

Any help would be great

und3fined

Feb 2, 2015
Hi guys, I'm looking to extract the payload.bin from a disc img file (android tv box rom)
I have looked around and am struggling to find anything on the subject.
Is this possible.
I would like to extract the boot.img etc and try patch with magisk to obtain root on android 9 T95max firmware.
I'm currently using rooted nougat firmware but would like to update to rooted android 9 instead

Any help would be great

Bertonumber1 you can try command file

Bash:
> file VOS3.0-AB-10-20201002-LZYGSI.img

VOS3.0-AB-10-20201002-LZYGSI.img: Linux rev 1.0 ext4 filesystem data, UUID=9704a9b3-b5aa-49f0-b2ef-4249ec7130c9 (needs journal recovery) (extents) (large files) (huge files)

If it is ext4 file system, you can mount it and get a boot.img

Ext: mount -t ext4 -o loop VOS3.0-AB-10-20201002-LZYGSI.img system/

You can try this tool: http://newandroidbook.com/tools/imjtool.html

dablakmark8

Dec 13, 2007
cape town
This is the error
WARNING: Value for scheme.headers does not match. Please report this to <https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/9617>
distutils: C:\Users\kronos\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\Include\UNKNOWN
sysconfig: C:\Users\kronos\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\Include
WARNING: Additional context:
user = False
home = None
root = None
prefix = None

C:\Users\kronos\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32>python payload_dumper.py payload.bin
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "payload_dumper.py", line 64, in <module>
assert magic == b'CrAU'
AssertionError

I dont know what to do now or how to extract the img.bin file from the firmware

MoHed

Dec 11, 2009
The Web
Hi . Everything works but I was wondering if there is a command to extract just the file I need (boot.img) without going through the time to extract everything in the firmware.

hurka11

Mar 18, 2010
Hi. I get an error with bsdiff4. I have attached a screenshot with my error message. Can someone help me with this. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot (22).png
    Screenshot (22).png
    189.3 KB · Views: 190

hammad2224

Nov 2, 2021
Error

python.exe payload_dumper.py payload.bin
File "C:\Users\hamma\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\payload_dumper.py", line 15, in <module>
import update_metadata_pb2 as um
File "C:\Users\hamma\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\update_metadata_pb2.py", line 8, in <module>
from google.protobuf import reflection as _reflection
File "C:\Users\hamma\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\google\protobuf\reflection.py", line 58, in <module>
from google.protobuf.internal import python_message as message_impl
File "C:\Users\hamma\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\google\protobuf\internal\python_message.py", line 62, in <module>
from google.protobuf.internal import containers
File "C:\Users\hamma\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python310\lib\site-packages\google\protobuf\internal\containers.py", line 182, in <module>
MutableMapping = collections.MutableMapping
AttributeError: module 'collections' has no attribute 'MutableMapping'

taoreality

May 26, 2022
Hsinchu City
This is the error
WARNING: Value for scheme.headers does not match. Please report this to <https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/9617>
distutils: C:\Users\kronos\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\Include\UNKNOWN
sysconfig: C:\Users\kronos\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32\Include
WARNING: Additional context:
user = False
home = None
root = None
prefix = None

C:\Users\kronos\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python38-32>python payload_dumper.py payload.bin
File "payload_dumper.py", line 64, in <module>
assert magic == b'CrAU'
AssertionError

I dont know what to do now or how to extract the img.bin file from the firmware
Same problem. Neither under vitualenv.

chrisostomul

Jan 26, 2015
Hello

I've been trying for almost a week to extract some .bin file with no success. I've tried on both linux (slackware 15) and windows(10 pro), payload dumper, payload-dumper-go to no avail. All sort of errors, payload dumper [File "C:\Program Files\Python39\payload_dumper.py", line 134, in <module>
assert magic == b'CrAU'
AssertionError] and payload-dumper-go [payload.bin: payload.bin
2022/07/22 16:37:37 Failed to create target directory] and/or [payload.bin: payload.bin
Number of workers: 4
2022/07/22 16:38:54 Payload has not been initialized].

Now I'm not sure if these errors have something to do with my payload.bin file as this file came to me as [some other file name].bin from the manufacturer of my device (which is an AGM Glory G1 Pro) and was supposed to update the phone in order to get vowifi working. For this to work I was told to put the unzipped file in the external sd-card and turn off the phone then turn it on by holding pressed vol-up+vol-dn+power.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the file, but I'm boiling out here. So is there anyone here (that managed to extract this kind of files) willing to extract my files for me? In fact I need this in order to find all the commands related to "fastboot oem [...]" as I can not unlock bootloader even the "OEM Unlocking" is on in the developer settings + USB debugging is on + in adb I get that the bootloader is unlockable and neither fastboot oem unlock nor fastboot flashing unlock work.

Thanks
George

codernixx

Dec 4, 2022
Hello

I've been trying for almost a week to extract some .bin file with no success. I've tried on both linux (slackware 15) and windows(10 pro), payload dumper, payload-dumper-go to no avail. All sort of errors, payload dumper [File "C:\Program Files\Python39\payload_dumper.py", line 134, in <module>
assert magic == b'CrAU'
AssertionError] and payload-dumper-go [payload.bin: payload.bin
2022/07/22 16:37:37 Failed to create target directory] and/or [payload.bin: payload.bin
Number of workers: 4
2022/07/22 16:38:54 Payload has not been initialized].

Now I'm not sure if these errors have something to do with my payload.bin file as this file came to me as [some other file name].bin from the manufacturer of my device (which is an AGM Glory G1 Pro) and was supposed to update the phone in order to get vowifi working. For this to work I was told to put the unzipped file in the external sd-card and turn off the phone then turn it on by holding pressed vol-up+vol-dn+power.

Maybe it has nothing to do with the file, but I'm boiling out here. So is there anyone here (that managed to extract this kind of files) willing to extract my files for me? In fact I need this in order to find all the commands related to "fastboot oem [...]" as I can not unlock bootloader even the "OEM Unlocking" is on in the developer settings + USB debugging is on + in adb I get that the bootloader is unlockable and neither fastboot oem unlock nor fastboot flashing unlock work.

Thanks
George
hello,have you solved?

AniviaXII

Dec 17, 2022
Hello! I have an issue with payload-dumper...So everything was going smoothly untill i had to extract payload.bin to get boot.img. I typed pip install payload-dumper and pip install protobuf==3.20.1 (as newest version doesnt work for some reason), I had this issue where it says "assertion error: unsupported op". Didn't work. I then set env variable

"export PROTOCOL_BUFFERS_PYTHON_IMPLEMENTATION=python" but again...same error.

I'm using Nothing Phone 1 and I have already unlocked the bootloader. Does anyone have already extracted boot.img for nothing phone 1 version 1.1.7

Thanks in advance,
AniviaXII

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is guide for extract payload.bin from OTA zip file

-----------------

Pre-requirement:
    - Python3

-----------------
    For extract OTA update
    Please flow step by step instruction

Step 1: Get a OTA for Nokia 7 plus -> here
    Step 2: Download payload_dumper.zip --> View attachment payload_dumper.zip
    Step 3: Unzip payload_dumper.zip
    This is list file
    fKqInKw3d7bLFOeFnMGnhLa9HxkHcs4mYYcDNgWOG9Cr1wm5wAHdd1IsHWqYrTOH6lkO-ssPGPYY48YPHEZswlOa6_CebGDVarH3OAzI-Our8npumZHI4midPdWhecNq

Step 4: Open Power Shell (on Windows) or Terminal (on Linux/macOS).
    Go to folder payload_dumper with command
    Code:
    cd "<Path to folder>"

Step 5: Create a python environment with virtualenv
    Command:
    Code:
    virtualenv .py

Step 6: Active python enviroment
    Command:
    Code:
    source .py/bin/activate

Works fine. :good:

Step 5 (Windows):
    Code:
    pip install virtualenv
    virtualenv .py

Step 6 (Windows):
    Code:
    CMD: call .py\Scripts\activate.bat
    PS: .py\Scripts\activate.ps1

Step 7: Install dependencies with command
    Code:
    pip install -r requirements.txt

Step 8: Extract OTA.zip file

Step 9: Copy payload.bin file to payload_dumper folder

Step 10: Run command

Code:
    python3 payload_dumper.py payload.bin

Step 11: Wait extract...

Step 12: File extracted on out folder in payload_dumper

-----------------

Python 3 can get it here: https://www.python.org/downloads/
    Flow step install python 3, please tick to option install pip and virutalenv
    Works fine. :good:

Step 5 (Windows):
    Code:
    pip install virtualenv
    virtualenv .py

Step 6 (Windows):
    Code:
    CMD: call .py\Scripts\activate.bat
    PS: .py\Scripts\activate.ps1
    I doing in Linux, but maybe try python.exe, no python3.exe
    Did you follow folktroll advises for windows.
    I've just installed it in my computer followed all steps and extracted all images in my payload file.

Thanks,
    I know where the mistake is. Step 10 says.
    Run command
    Code. python3 payload_dumper.py payload.bin
    python3 payload_dumper.py payload.bin

with "python3" the "3" must go away, so

python payload_dumper.python payload.bin

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

I doing in Linux, but maybe try python.exe, no python3.exe

have seen too late... lol:D
    I have this error in step 10:

(.py) imac-3:payload_dumper Eche$ python3 payload_dumper.py payload.bin
    File "payload_dumper.py", line 12, in <module>
    import update_metadata_pb2 as um
    File "/Users/Eche/Downloads/payload_dumper/update_metadata_pb2.py", line 6, in <module>
    from google.protobuf import descriptor as _descriptor
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'google'

Try:

Code:
    pip3 install -r requirements.txt

instead of:

Code:
    pip install -r requirements.txt