[Guide] How to fix 4.2 lag

Search This thread

TheAtheistReverend

Mar 29, 2010
Minneapolis
I have an unrooted Nexus 7 running 4.2 and a lot of the time it is buttery smooth, except at a random time, usually in front of someone else, when I need to do something RIGHT NOW, and then the Nexus 7 turns into a rebellious teenager. Lagging and freezing badly.

The only thing I have not tried is a wipe. I just don't want to lose saved games and data, and I know of no way to back then up without being rooted.

Any advice on backing up saved game data so I can wipe without fear?

Because really, it's this or back to 4.1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Have you looked at My Backup?

Otherwise root that sucka! It is a piece of cake.

rmagruder

Aug 5, 2009
Yes it won't backup app data without root.

And of course you can't root without unlocking, so I just bit the bullet and did so. No lag so far.... But it's early.

TheAtheistReverend

Mar 29, 2010
Minneapolis
congrats

Yes it won't backup app data without root.

And of course you can't root without unlocking, so I just bit the bullet and did so. No lag so far.... But it's early.

Glad you dove in for root! Makes life so much easier. Now get adfree from the play store, and you've covered the biggest reason why I root. I'm still running stock rooted because I don't need any more than this.

rmagruder

Aug 5, 2009
I take it ad free removes ads from apps? Ugh. Dude, I hate ads like everyone else, but if they are the only way a developer gets revenue for their work, I will tolerate them.

I should also note, my Samsung Galaxy Nexus on Verizon has been rooted and ROM'ed so much it isn't funny. But then that's also because Verizon leaves us to die so often. I was hoping it wouldn't be necessary on the Nexus 7. Oh well....

Reactions: HarmonyFlame

fcng

Oct 24, 2010
It's multi-user

Dear All,

My N7 lagged after 4.2 update. I disabled Currents and it was better but still lagged. I just removed multi-user and I am back to 4.1.2 smoothness. It lookes like the multi-user is the problem. Google would probably fix this in the next minor update. :)

Bobbyballbags

Nov 26, 2012
Dear All,

My N7 lagged after 4.2 update. I disabled Currents and it was better but still lagged. I just removed multi-user and I am back to 4.1.2 smoothness. It lookes like the multi-user is the problem. Google would probably fix this in the next minor update. :)

Did you disable the service or do you mean you had multiple users so you removed them?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

fcng

Oct 24, 2010
no more multi-user

Did you disable the service or do you mean you had multiple users so you removed them?

Bobby,

I removed my guest user and now I'm back to just one user. Now, everything is butter smooth just like 4.1.2. Therefore, one should only have one user and disable Google Currents' sync function.

Bobbyballbags

Nov 26, 2012
Bobby,

I removed my guest user and now I'm back to just one user. Now, everything is butter smooth just like 4.1.2. Therefore, one should only have one user and disable Google Currents' sync function.

OK cool. Haven't ever had a second user. Was hoping there was a way to shut down the multi user service which would restore it to majesty.

madphone

Apr 21, 2011
for me it didn't help at all. the biggest lag is when unlocking the device in another oriantation as it was before unlocking. it takes up to 5 seconds to rotate and get responsive. can anyone point in the right direction? maybe there is a thread i have missed?

Reactions: filipathtc

borrowedchief

Jan 21, 2011
I still lag. I was about to factory reset, but saw a couple other users did that and it didn't help. Hope it gets patched up soon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Nexx9

Nov 12, 2009
San Diego
Forever Gone

Forever gone is the solution after doing the above I downloaded forever gone ran it and BAM its smooth as budda!

from my SGS3 while my nexus 7 rests

I've been running Forever Gone for weeks now, whenever I go below 3G (often down to around 1G free ) on my 32G Nex7, and it's been working fine. Whatever lag I do experience vanishes every time so far, and with so little space left it really doesn't take much time to run.

dellenrules

Mar 22, 2011
This may sound silly, but if I disable Bluetooth, it solves a lot of lag issues.
The Bluetooth in 4.2 has it's problems. Never thought it would affect performance.
I might look into that.

kwabby

Jul 22, 2012
ATL
I have also notice, if you keep your WiFi on during sleep there is no lag on the lock screen.

uploadfromtaptalk1357054275375.jpg

Nexus 4 & 7

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all,
    I recently upgraded to 4.2q on my Nexus 7, and I experienced a lot of lag on it. I was browsing the Internet, and I found this on the internet which has worked well for me, and now I have no lag. I don't know if this has already been posted here.
    This is what I found on the internet:

"If you’re one of the poor users experiencing major lag on your Nexus 7 after the Android 4.2 update, here’s what you can do to remedy the situation:

Open your app drawer
    Open Google Currents
    Click the three dots in the top right corner of the app
    Tap “Settings”
    Uncheck “Enable Background Sync”
    Reboot your Nexus 7

That’s it. You shouldn’t experience anymore lag and you probably won’t even need to reboot. For me the difference was night and day. I went an extra step and disabled the app completely just in case. If you want to disable Google Currents for good measure, you can do so by going into your main Settings menu, clicking Apps, swiping to the All category, clicking Google Currents, and then clicking Disable. (If you do this you won’t be able to use Google Currents anymore, but at least your Nexus 7 will be back to normal."

Hope this helps.

Cheers
    Corey

You made it onto Android Authority, very cool. Thanks for the fix, it works like a charm.

Link to the article: http://www.androidauthority.com/xda...ed-nexus-7-lag-issue-after-4-2-update-134281/

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Actually, the OP took this post word for word from a TalkAndroid.com post. I know because I wrote that post two days ago: http://www.talkandroid.com/141899-does-your-nexus-7-lag-after-the-4-2-update-theres-a-fix-for-that/
    Don't forget to run forever gone its a miracle worker

sent from my Nexus 7 while my SGS3 rests!
    On the 4.2.2 update and I am not receiving any lag they diffidently fixed it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app
    How to cure lag and a bevy of other stupid problems that shouldn't have made it past a 5 year old let alone `professional' paid developers.

Step 1: Don't install 4.2
    Step 2: ????
    Step 3: Profit

Grats! Least useful post I have seen on this forum.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone