(Guide) How to fix a hard bricked Redmi Note 9 (Merlin) (Hard Brick)

Search This thread

JuninhoBMX

Feb 18, 2017
GB
meettomy.site
Try it without letting the battery die, it would still work. i tried it.
1668697581848.png
now i got this error

Gedwal

Nov 23, 2022
Redmi Note 9
Hi everybody, this is my first attempt at contacting this forum and I apologies if I'm in the incorrect area.
I purposely joined the forum to offer my most grateful thanks to Vagelis 199. Those of you that have read his article on repairing a bricked
Xiaomi RN9 will probably appreciate my thoughts.
Having waited the best part of a year for the MIUI 13 update, without it arriving, I decided to do the update myself.
In the past I've installed custom roms about a dozen times but knowing how they can vary from phone to phone I did what I thought was a fairly thorough job of checking things out on sites and forums similar to this.
I came across the Xiaomi flash tool but any attempt to use it failed and I eventually decided to use the XiaomiTool V2 by Francesco Tescari. Reviews of this piece of software seemed positive and everything seemed to be fine with update until it completed when I discovered the phone had gone into a bootloop.
The phone would not switch off but after a period of playing with power and volume control I managed to get into Fastboot. At this point I decided to Flash TWRP using ADB.
Once again all seemed to be going well until the end when ADB through up a message, I'm unable to remember , casting doubts that everything was OK.
The Mi icon came up then went off. I had no recovery and no fastboot. If i connected it to a laptop it went into a bootloop.
Having encountered problems with custom roms in the past I once again delved into the forums and various web sites. Firstly I discovered the mistake I made, or should I say Xiaomi made, with the Flash Tool in that a folder needed to be created in the root folder called log and after that it works.
During my failed attempts to flash TWRP I also discovered various files involved had to be stored in the same folder.
And finally a constructive comment on the vagelis 199 article is that the "install pyusb pyserial json5" instruction should be preceded by pip otherwise it doesn't work.
To all of you folk out there, with knowledge far greater than mine, who are prepared to offer your time and knowledge to XDA and other forums........... Many thanks.

estebg_1300

Nov 22, 2022
View attachment 5563587

A how-to guide of restoring a completely bricked Redmi Note 9​

Hi, In this guide, I will teach you how to fix a hard-bricked Redmi Note 9 (merlin) and bring it back to its original state.
How does a hard-bricked Redmi Note 9 look like? it's stuck in an infinite boot loop showing only the Redmi logo,
Can't access recovery with power+vol down, can't enter fastboot, can't connect it to a computer either.

If this is your phone here's how you can solve it without the need for service.

Following this guide keep in mind that everything would be erased from your phone including custom Recovery or ROM obviously. Also the bootloader would get locked again.
(I mean at this point you either have a useless brick or a working phone, you are choosing).

This is tested by me, and it works as long as you follow the steps carefully and you don't skip anything.
(I did this on Windows 10 btw)

1. You gonna need to download, Python and the official Xiaomi fastboot image for Redmi Note 9. Also the zip file I'm attaching bellow. the zip file contains the MTK Drivers, SP Flash Tool, and some additional scripts like MI auth bypass etc,
  2. Get thefastboot image from here select your version (I picked the latest global) click download scroll down where it says "type:fastboot" and click "download: full Rom" the file name should look like this "merlin_images....tgz" or "merlin_global_images....tgz", etc, NOT miui_Merlin.zip,
  3. Get python from the official website site, I tested it with 3.9.7 but the latest version should work fine. Now, you have all the necessary files to start.
  4. Let the phone's battery die so the boot looping completely ends. (else you'll get error STATUS_EXT_RAM_EXCEPTION (0xC0050005) when using SP Flash Tool). ( I also tried it with a full battery and still worked so idk for sure how necessary this step is).
  5. Install Python select the "add to PATH" option, you can test if it was installed correctly by opening cmd and writing "python" or "py" it should output the python version.
  6. Extract the attached zip file and the fastboot image each into their folders.
  7. Enter the MTK Driver folder Install the MTK Driver for MTK SP flash tool.MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe, Reboot your computer.
  8. Enter the python folder, run the "install pyusb pyserial json5.bat" when it's done close the terminal.
  9. Enter the driver folder, this folder contains a USB to COM driver for MTK Devices, right-click the "cdc-acm.inf" click install.
  10. Enter the libusb folder, run the libusb-win32-devel-filter-1.2.6.0.exe file, click next,next...install, when it's done it would prompt you to launch "filter installer wizard" click finish, when the wizard shows up, select "Install a device filter" it would show you your connected USB devices,
  11. Get your phone and a USB cable, connect the USB cable to your computer,while holding the volume up button on your phone connect your phone to the computer (Based on community feedback you might need to hold both up and down volume buttons AND power button!) once your phone turns on you would see your phone listed as "MediaTek USB Port" at the libusb filter installer before your phone reboots click at the "MediaTek USB Port" and then click install if you don't do it on time, your phone will get disconnected because of rebooting, try again re-plugging your phone. once you click install, You should get a pop-up message saying "...device filter successfully installed for MediaTek USB port..." click ok and exit, then remove your phone from the computer.
  12. Enter the bypass folder (This folder contains scripts to bypasses the Mi auth) double click the "1ST RUN THIS.bat" when it says "waiting for device" hold volume up and plug your phone into the computer (btw: You can let the button when it's recognized by the script). now most likely it would say "RuntimeError: unexpected output, expected 0xfd got 0xfe", if it does close the script and disconnect your phone, Try the "2ND RUN THIS.bat" when it shows "Waiting for device" hold volume up and connect your phone to the computer, wait till the console recognizes your phone, (At this part it might take few tries to make it work, try reconnecting your phone without holding any buttons or try holding volume down while reconnecting your phone) Once it gets recognized it would output "Found port = COM3" and Protection disabled. At this part your phone has stopped boot looping which is good but, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT FROM THE COMPUTER, set your phone aside, and continue with the guide.
  13. Enter the SP Flash Tool folder run the flash_tool.exe at the Download-Agent click choose and select the DA_6765_6785_6768_6873_6885_6853.bin file which is included in the SP flash tool folder.
  14. At the Authentication File, click choose and select the auth_sv5.auth included in the SP flash tool folder.
  15. At the Scatter-loading File, click choose, go to the fastboot image extraction folder (Step 4) then enter the images folder and select the MT6768_Android_scatter.txt file (Fastbootimage/images/MT6768_Android_scatter.txt)
  16. On the drop-downbox below the "Authentication File" label change the option from Download Only to Firmware Upgrade.
  17. At the toolbar above click Options -> Option... go to Connection check the UART option and set the Baud rate to 921600, make sure the com port option is set to com 3, then close the window.
  18. Click Download with the green arrow, now wait till it finished flashing your phone this would take quite of time, at this part DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING LET IT FINISH TO AVOID ANY CURROPTION ON YOUR PHONE. (If you get "Error : STATUS_STOR_LIFE_EXHAUST" go to options-> general and uncheck Storage life cycle check).
  19. When it's done it would show you a pop-up window "Download Ok" with a green background and a checkmark, click the X to close, and now you can also close the SP Flash tool app.
  20. Disconnect your device from your computer and press the power buttonto start your phone, connect it to a charger or back to the computer since there was no charge so it won't die suddenly now.
  21. Your phone now should boot normally showing the MIUI logo, because its first boot it would take few minutes for the phone to boot, wait patiently and you would see the "first setup" screen.
  22. That's it! You successfully brought back to life a hard-bricked Redmi Note 9 (merlin). A huge weight now has lifted from you :) hf.

Credits:
Bypass script and payload included in the attachment file is provided by (chaosmaster, xyzz) github
now I get 'the last usb device you connected did not work properly and Windows does not recognize it'.
What should I do now?

DrElectron

Dec 3, 2020
how to fix this com 3 not showing and sp flash erorr please helpp.....View attachment 5655039View attachment 5655041
I had 0xC00100001 error as above which suggests a Download Agent or Authentication problem. However, it seems to actually be a communication problem.

In my case it was caused by waiting too long between running 2ND RUN THIS.bat and hitting download on the SP Flash Tool.

Because the phone stopped bootlooping after running 2ND RUN THIS.BAT, I thought I had plenty of time but apparently not. Another poster suggested you only have about 10 seconds between running the batch file and downloading for a successful result. I don't know if that is correct, but downloading swiftly after running the bypass batch file solved the problem for me.

Last edited:

DrElectron

Dec 3, 2020
View attachment 5563587

Hi, In this guide, I will teach you how to fix a hard-bricked Redmi Note 9 (merlin) and bring it back to its original state.
How does a hard-bricked Redmi Note 9 look like? it's stuck in an infinite boot loop showing only the Redmi logo,
Can't access recovery with power+vol down, can't enter fastboot, can't connect it to a computer either.

Following this guide keep in mind that everything would be erased from your phone including custom Recovery or ROM obviously. Also the bootloader would get locked again.
(I mean at this point you either have a useless brick or a working phone, you are choosing).

This is tested by me, and it works as long as you follow the steps carefully and you don't skip anything.

1. You gonna need to download, Python and the official Xiaomi fastboot image for Redmi Note 9. Also the zip file I'm attaching bellow. the zip file contains the MTK Drivers, SP Flash Tool, and some additional scripts like MI auth bypass etc,
  2. Get thefastboot image from here select your version (I picked the latest global) click download scroll down where it says "type:fastboot" and click "download: full Rom" the file name should look like this "merlin_images....tgz" or "merlin_global_images....tgz", etc, NOT miui_Merlin.zip,
  3. Get python from the official website site, I tested it with 3.9.7 but the latest version should work fine. Now, you have all the necessary files to start.
  4. Let the phone's battery die so the boot looping completely ends. (else you'll get error STATUS_EXT_RAM_EXCEPTION (0xC0050005) when using SP Flash Tool). ( I also tried it with a full battery and still worked so idk for sure how necessary this step is).
  5. Install Python select the "add to PATH" option, you can test if it was installed correctly by opening cmd and writing "python" or "py" it should output the python version.
  6. Extract the attached zip file and the fastboot image each into their folders.
  7. Enter the MTK Driver folder Install the MTK Driver for MTK SP flash tool.MTK_Driver_Auto_Installer_SP_Drivers_20160804.exe, Reboot your computer.
  8. Enter the python folder, run the "install pyusb pyserial json5.bat" when it's done close the terminal.
  9. Enter the driver folder, this folder contains a USB to COM driver for MTK Devices, right-click the "cdc-acm.inf" click install.
  10. Enter the libusb folder, run the libusb-win32-devel-filter-1.2.6.0.exe file, click next,next...install, when it's done it would prompt you to launch "filter installer wizard" click finish, when the wizard shows up, select "Install a device filter" it would show you your connected USB devices,
  11. Get your phone and a USB cable, connect the USB cable to your computer,while holding the volume up button on your phone connect your phone to the computer (Based on community feedback you might need to hold both up and down volume buttons AND power button!) once your phone turns on you would see your phone listed as "MediaTek USB Port" at the libusb filter installer before your phone reboots click at the "MediaTek USB Port" and then click install if you don't do it on time, your phone will get disconnected because of rebooting, try again re-plugging your phone. once you click install, You should get a pop-up message saying "...device filter successfully installed for MediaTek USB port..." click ok and exit, then remove your phone from the computer.
  12. Enter the bypass folder (This folder contains scripts to bypasses the Mi auth) double click the "1ST RUN THIS.bat" when it says "waiting for device" hold volume up and plug your phone into the computer (btw: You can let the button when it's recognized by the script). now most likely it would say "RuntimeError: unexpected output, expected 0xfd got 0xfe", if it does close the script and disconnect your phone, Try the "2ND RUN THIS.bat" when it shows "Waiting for device" hold volume up and connect your phone to the computer, wait till the console recognizes your phone, (At this part it might take few tries to make it work, try reconnecting your phone without holding any buttons or try holding volume down while reconnecting your phone) Once it gets recognized it would output "Found port = COM3" and Protection disabled. At this part your phone has stopped boot looping which is good but, DO NOT TOUCH YOUR PHONE, DO NOT DISCONNECT IT FROM THE COMPUTER, set your phone aside, and continue with the guide.
  13. Enter the SP Flash Tool folder run the flash_tool.exe at the Download-Agent click choose and select the DA_6765_6785_6768_6873_6885_6853.bin file which is included in the SP flash tool folder.
  14. At the Authentication File, click choose and select the auth_sv5.auth included in the SP flash tool folder.
  15. At the Scatter-loading File, click choose, go to the fastboot image extraction folder (Step 4) then enter the images folder and select the MT6768_Android_scatter.txt file (Fastbootimage/images/MT6768_Android_scatter.txt)
  16. On the drop-downbox below the "Authentication File" label change the option from Download Only to Firmware Upgrade.
  17. At the toolbar above click Options -> Option... go to Connection check the UART option and set the Baud rate to 921600, make sure the com port option is set to com 3, then close the window.
  18. Click Download with the green arrow, now wait till it finished flashing your phone this would take quite of time, at this part DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING LET IT FINISH TO AVOID ANY CURROPTION ON YOUR PHONE. (If you get "Error : STATUS_STOR_LIFE_EXHAUST" go to options-> general and uncheck Storage life cycle check).
  19. When it's done it would show you a pop-up window "Download Ok" with a green background and a checkmark, click the X to close, and now you can also close the SP Flash tool app.
  20. Disconnect your device from your computer and press the power buttonto start your phone, connect it to a charger or back to the computer since there was no charge so it won't die suddenly now.
  21. Your phone now should boot normally showing the MIUI logo, because its first boot it would take few minutes for the phone to boot, wait patiently and you would see the "first setup" screen.
  22. That's it! You successfully brought back to life a hard-bricked Redmi Note 9 (merlin). A huge weight now has lifted from you :) hf.

Great tutorial - thank you!

I can confirm I unbricked my phone, with fully charged battery, by pressing vol+, vol- and power buttons together

Do you know how much time is allowed between running the second bypass batch file and hitting download on the SP Tool? Delaying caused an 0xC00100001 error for me. #146

SymtaxError

Sep 13, 2020
Redmi Note 9
[SOLVED]

the major reason that I got ERROR STATUS_BROM_CMD_STARTCMD_FAIL (0xC0060001) when I am using flash tool is connected with error on point 12 when I ran 2ND RUN THIS.bat and got "Payload did not reply"

Solution is: Defaultly I had in bypass folder file mt6785_payload.bin but I should have on this folder file mt6768_payload.bin, so I copy payload file from payloads folder. It works.
thank you
by the way your english is hard to understand so ill translate for others

in the bypass folder, there is a file named mt6785_payload.bin, but our phones need mt6768_payload.bin since our chip is mt6768 and not 6785

so, you delete the 6785 from the bypass folder, then go into "payloads" thats in the bypass folder, then copy mt6768_payload.bin to the root of bypass folder, and do everything AGAIN starting from step 10

warzoned

Dec 5, 2022
View attachment 5563587

Credits:
Bypass script and payload included in the attachment file is provided by (chaosmaster, xyzz) github
I have redmi 9 and got the same problem, I found this thread from a post and tried to follow the procedure (and use the fastboot rom of redmi 9) the process is successful but my device is now can't proceed to homescreen it only goes back to recovery mode that has a message of "This MIUI version can't be installed on this device". Any help pls?

Gedwal

Nov 23, 2022
Redmi Note 9
View attachment 5563587

Credits:
Having followed these instructions by contributor Vagelis I'm happy to say I've been able to unbrick my Redmi Note 9 and flash the latest version of Miui 13 and I'm most grateful. But for the efforts of Vagelis I would be digging into my wallet for a new phone.
I have now discovered an issue, however. The problem I've encountered is while everything appears normal the phone will no longer connect to Mi Flash or Mi Flash Unlock. When pressing volume down and power button Fastboot comes up on screen but does not connect. If I use ADB & Fastboot with the instruction ADB reboot fastboot the word Fastbootd comes up on screen.
I would be grateful for any ones help or advice on this matter and is there a difference between Fastboot and Fastbootd.

warzoned

Dec 5, 2022
View attachment 5563587

Credits:
Can someone give me the Download Agent for redmi 9 pls? Thank you.

electricSpinster

Dec 10, 2022
Thanks so much for this. vagelis199 = LEGEND!!!!

I had to use volume up + down + power buttons as described. Also I got the RAM_EXCEPTION error in SP flash but simply disconnecting, rebooting phone and waiting for it to bootloop its battery to death fixed the error.

ArenFov

Dec 8, 2022
Hey o/
My phone is stuck in bootloop and can't access recovery mode
but I can access the fastboot mode so any steps I need to skip?

ArenFov

Dec 8, 2022
Hey o/
My phone is stuck in bootloop and can't access recovery mode
but I can access the fastboot mode so any steps I need to skip?
I haven't done anything to the software it just happened to close and when i power it up again it goes into bootloop

So is this a hardware issue or can this be fixed by this guide?

Sentonta

Dec 10, 2022
i tried flashing the phone but i got STATUS_EXT_RAM_EXCEPTION (0xC0050005) everytime.
i tried without battery and tried multiple ROM's nothing works

can anyone help me

Last edited:

ArenFov

Dec 8, 2022
does not work :(

got till last step all fine just as the guide says

disconnected the phone and start it but its still in bootloop :(

veg12

Jun 6, 2021
Step 11 don't work for me in Virtualbox. I use Linux.
Should I install Windows or that also can work inside virtualbox?

matteo555

Jun 22, 2022
All worked fine !!! unfortunately, after boot, I got 'MV data is corrupted' and devices is in non-stop boot-loop
An orgasm that last few seconds

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    guide_img.jpg

Credits:
    View attachment 5563587

Credits:
    thank you so much it worked with redmi 9
    some differences :
    - i use windows 11
    - no need to wait to drain the battery just hold volume down and power key for redmi 9
    - python latest version 3.11 didn't work but windows store version 3.10 worked
    - and of course i downloaded the fastboot for redmi 9
    Had to create an account just to thank the OP

I bricked my Redmi note 9 by trying to install twrp using an outdated tutorial , had access to nothing , was already planning on spending money I shouldn't getting another phone at the moment. Then I stumbled upon this thread.

You are a god mate! Really appreciate the help.
    When you are choosing fastboot it shows you both recovery and fastboot as options, one is above the other, fastboot is bellow recovery , if you scroll down you'll see the link for the fastboot image
    Thanks, that is what i was missing.

Edit:

Thanks @vagelis199 this detailed guide and your input earlier saved my bricked Merlin.

Following the guide, I downgraded it to Android 10 MIUI 11 in hopes of now rooting the darn thing and remove the Xiaomi bloat and ads
    i'm having an ERROR notification : STATUS_EXT_RAM_EXCEPTION (0xC0050005) help me