Did this guide work for you?

• Yes

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 27 90.0%

• Total voters
Search This thread

lucasdeeiroz

Galaxy s22 ultra here with Android 13 and November security patch but my Google system update is stuck on July 2022. These steps outlined doesn't do anything.
And the problem is: Google has been using Google Play System Updates to deliver new features and app designs on Android. So we can't get these new goodies because of this bug.

• Sad
Reactions: Jaysmith696

ujh

Apr 1, 2016
Hi,

using a Pixel 7 and stuck on October Google Play System update. Unsuccessfully tried many steps.

Reactions: Sasaiber

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Hello. I have seen lots of complaints regarding Google Play system update being stuck, and no further updates being offered at all.

After researching, I discovered a splendidly simple solution—logging out all but one Google account on the phone, clearing Google Play services data, and trying again.

The Main Components APK that other threads suggest is malicious. Do not install such APKs.​

Threads are suggesting installing an APK called "Main Components", saying that it'll update your device. Do not believe such claims—all it does is change the date shown on your phone. It's very small and does not require restarting to install, proving the ineffectiveness of this app. It also causes versioning issues and incompatibility, and in extreme cases, will brick your device.

In case you have already installed the app, uninstall it immediately via the following ADB command:
adb uninstall com.google.android.modulemetadata

Fixing the Google Play system update​

STEP 1: Update Google Play services to the latest version.​

On your phone, open this page with the Google Play Store, then tap on "Update". If that button does not show up, then Google Play services is updated already.

STEP 2: Leave only one Google account signed in on your phone.​

If you have more than one Google account signed in on your phone, sign out the other accounts and leave the one you often use. Make sure that this account is not a Personal Account (not from your school/work).

For instructions on how to see the accounts on your device and to sign out them, see here.

STEP 3: Clear Google Play services' data and restart the phone.​

Note: Do not uninstall updates of Google Play services.
Important: When you clear Google Play Services data or storage, it may delete some information saved to your device, including transit cards, COVID cards, and virtual payment cards saved to Google Pay.

This sentence is a filler text for formatting purposes.

STEP 4: Check for Google Play system updates again and hope for the best.​

Now go check for Google Play system updates again. There should be an update, follow the prompts to download and install it. After installation, it should prompt you to restart. If not, tap on "Check for updates" again and it shall prompt you to restart. After restarting, check if the update was successfully installed. If yes, congrats, you have successfully updated!

Clear Play Services Data is very dangerous for people using Galaxy Watch paired to the phone because Google Play Services holds the pairing key. Deleting this data will reset the watch connection, and to pair the watch again, one will have to factory reset the watch and set it up all over again.

I can't do this because I have over 250 watch faces and about 30 apps installed on the watch. The backup-restore feature on the watch is useless because it doesn't backup watchface data or app data.

How can you call com.google.android.modulemetadata aka main components as malicious? It is one of the component introduced as project mainline. Have some research before posting,

Project Mainline - https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/
Module Metadata aka Main Components - https://source.android.com/docs/core/architecture/modular-system/metadata

When you install this to system, it parse information from playstore/services apk since google push the system updates through playstore and services apk (latest here) and updates the same in the UI. Installing this won't install system updates but it shows the right system version you are on. Works only with devices showing wrong system update due to a factory reset.

I know you are trying to help, but make sure to use the right wordings.

Thanks!

Mine is stuck on 1st September 2022 update (while the device is on 1st December security update). I remember getting an error earlier where the phone would download a small update (about 650 kb) but would fail to install the same. The error went away after a few days, and if I remember correctly, it did download some update once and the phone rebooted. But the update date is still showing as 01 September 2022.

Are you sure that apk simply updates the correct date and will not cause any problems?

TheSSJ

Feb 25, 2010
OnePlus Nord
Only works if rooted:
Gents,i will throw in my 5 cents in here: for me the post of the OP didn't work, so I tried to undo all magisk modifications. In the end the problem lied in the spoofed fingerprint i use to make Google wallet work

So whoever is using the magisk props module, just go into any terminal emulator, type in
su
props
r (for reset)
Then reboot and retry the Google update

Last edited:

mpower7

Feb 21, 2010
Hello regards and a happy new year , i think this will solve your problem, works on every android.

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
Installing the Main Components apk updated the Google Play System update to 01 November 2022 for me. I got this apk from my OnePlus 8T as I was reluctant to update the system app from any external source.

Here is an interesting observation:

Samsung S22 Ultra

The Google Play Services app is showing a different version on my Samsung S22 Ultra when comparing the Google Play Store page 22.48.14 (190400-493411920) vs the App Info page in Settings 22.48.55 (190400-493690213).

Screenshot_20230101_120005_Settings~2.png Screenshot_20230101_115829_Google Play Store~2.png

OnePlus 8T

There is no such discrepancy in the version numbers when comparing the Play Store page vs the App Info page on my OnePlus 8T, i.e. 22.48.14 (190408-493411920).

Screenshot_2023-01-01-12-16-03-38_fc704e6b13c4fb26bf5e411f75da84f2.jpg Screenshot_2023-01-01-11-58-36-77_b5a5c5cb02ca09c784c5d88160e2ec24.jpg

I think it is this discrepancy that is causing this problem, although I have no idea how this happened.

I tried 'updating' the Google Play Services app on my S22U with the one I extracted from my OP8T, but unfortunately that failed because the version already installed on my S22U is 'newer'. I think the App Info page is showing incorrect information on my S22U, and I don't know how to rectify it.

I can uninstall updates of Google Play Services app on my S22U and then update it with the apk I got from my OP8T, but then this will delete all app data which in-turn will require me to factory reset my Galaxy Watch 4, something I can't afford to do at this point.

Can you guys confirm if you see the same problem on your devices too?

What is the Google Play Services version on your device? And do you see the same version number on Google Play Store page as well as App Info page?

Here is a link to Google Play Services page on Google Play Store:

If you are ready to delete the Google Play Services data on your device, you should consider uninstalling the app updates and then update the app using the right apk version.

Updating the Main Components apk everytime (or every month) isn't a practical solution. One has to figure out how this problem happened in the first place and address that instead.

Last edited:

PULSEBITCOIN

Jan 15, 2023
Gents,i will throw in my 5 cents in here: for me the post of the OP didn't work, so I tried to undo all magisk modifications. In the end the problem lied in the spoofed fingerprint i use to make Google wallet work

So whoever is using the magisk props module, just go into any terminal emulator, type in
su
props
r (for reset)
Then reboot and retry the Google update
You're rooted. Useless fix.

[deXter]

Aug 23, 2008
Can you guys confirm if you see the same problem on your devices too?

What is the Google Play Services version on your device? And do you see the same version number on Google Play Store page as well as App Info page?

I don't have the version discrepancy issue on my Fold 4. The version in the Play Store and App Info pages are the same as the latest version (non-beta) on apkmirror - 22.50.14 (190400-499278674), so I dont see a point in reinstalling the apk. However, my Google Play System Update version is still stuck on November 2022 (my Android security patch level is January 2023).

TheMystic

Mar 18, 2017
I don't have the version discrepancy issue on my Fold 4. The version in the Play Store and App Info pages are the same as the latest version (non-beta) on apkmirror - 22.50.14 (190400-499278674), so I dont see a point in reinstalling the apk. However, my Google Play System Update version is still stuck on November 2022 (my Android security patch level is January 2023).
The app versions are now showing correctly on my device too after the Jan'23 update of Google Play Services v22.50.14. And just like in your case, my device is on Dec'22 security update but Google Play System is still stuck on Nov'22 update.

However, Google Play System is on Nov'22 update on all my 3 Android phones: Samsung (Dec'22), OnePlus (Oct'22) and iQOO (Nov'22), even though the devices are on different OEM security updates as indicated above.

mojorisin7178

Hi I installed the main components file. And I'm kinda pissed off at myself because I remember reading that it wasn't real and as soon as I installed it I remembered and was like oh **** I should not have done that. But what I noticed is I all of a sudden got a bunch of updates after that. I thought it triggered the updates to come in. That was back in November and I have gotten a 2 updates in December and just one today. The one today is the first of the year. But I noticed that it stays on Nov 1. Is it possible that the date is just stuck at Nov 1 and 5he rest is actually updating the way it should? Also can I still use the command. You mentioned to uninstall that date file? Or do you recommend the dreaded factory reset?
Thank you,
Charlie

mojorisin7178

Hi I installed the main components file. And I'm kinda pissed off at myself because I remember reading that it wasn't real and as soon as I installed it I remembered and was like oh **** I should not have done that. But what I noticed is I all of a sudden got a bunch of updates after that. I thought it triggered the updates to come in. That was back in November and I have gotten a 2 updates in December and just one today. The one today is the first of the year. But I noticed that it stays on Nov 1. Is it possible that the date is just stuck at Nov 1 and 5he rest is actually updating the way it should? Also can I still use the command. You mentioned to uninstall that date file? Or do you recommend the dreaded factory reset?
Thank you,
Charlie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Galaxy s22 ultra here with Android 13 and November security patch but my Google system update is stuck on July 2022. These steps outlined doesn't do anything.
    How can you call com.google.android.modulemetadata aka main components as malicious? It is one of the component introduced as project mainline. Have some research before posting,

Project Mainline - https://www.xda-developers.com/android-project-mainline-modules-explanation/
    Module Metadata aka Main Components - https://source.android.com/docs/core/architecture/modular-system/metadata

When you install this to system, it parse information from playstore/services apk since google push the system updates through playstore and services apk (latest here) and updates the same in the UI. Installing this won't install system updates but it shows the right system version you are on. Works only with devices showing wrong system update due to a factory reset.

I know you are trying to help, but make sure to use the right wordings.

Thanks!
    I'm on Android 13 and this didn't help me. I'm still on June 22, and there's even October already available.
    Hello. I have seen lots of complaints regarding Google Play system update being stuck, and no further updates being offered at all.

After researching, I discovered a splendidly simple solution—logging out all but one Google account on the phone, clearing Google Play services data, and trying again.

The Main Components APK that other threads suggest is malicious. Do not install such APKs.​

Threads are suggesting installing an APK called "Main Components", saying that it'll update your device. Do not believe such claims—all it does is change the date shown on your phone. It's very small and does not require restarting to install, proving the ineffectiveness of this app. It also causes versioning issues and incompatibility, and in extreme cases, will brick your device.

In case you have already installed the app, uninstall it immediately via the following ADB command:
    adb uninstall com.google.android.modulemetadata

Fixing the Google Play system update​

STEP 1: Update Google Play services to the latest version.​

On your phone, open this page with the Google Play Store, then tap on "Update". If that button does not show up, then Google Play services is updated already.

STEP 2: Leave only one Google account signed in on your phone.​

If you have more than one Google account signed in on your phone, sign out the other accounts and leave the one you often use. Make sure that this account is not a Personal Account (not from your school/work).

For instructions on how to see the accounts on your device and to sign out them, see here.

STEP 3: Clear Google Play services' data and restart the phone.​

Note: Do not uninstall updates of Google Play services.
    Important: When you clear Google Play Services data or storage, it may delete some information saved to your device, including transit cards, COVID cards, and virtual payment cards saved to Google Pay.
    1. On your Android phone or tablet, open the Settings app.
    2. Tap Apps > See all apps. Note that you do not need to tap "See all apps" on Samsung devices.
    3. Scroll down and tap "Google Play Services."
    4. Tap Storage > Clear Cache.
    5. Tap Manage Space > Clear all Data. Note that "Manage Space" is called "Manage Storage" instead on Samsung devices.
    6. Restart your device.
    This sentence is a filler text for formatting purposes.

STEP 4: Check for Google Play system updates again and hope for the best.​

Now go check for Google Play system updates again. There should be an update, follow the prompts to download and install it. After installation, it should prompt you to restart. If not, tap on "Check for updates" again and it shall prompt you to restart. After restarting, check if the update was successfully installed. If yes, congrats, you have successfully updated!
    I am on latest firmware. You write "Main Components APK that other threads suggest is malicious" But how do you know that? apkmirror.com dont share malicious!
    That apk doesn't do no harm to your phone but it doesn't do any good also; it only changes the date.