• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to fix Windows Update Issue on CU builds - Error 0x80070273

Search This thread

sigfrid696

Jan 11, 2010
For those who are still waiting for a fix for the update error and don't want to undergo the recovery process, I found a different solution, which doesn't need a recovery operation on the phone.

I tested it with success on my 1020 and another 925 which were stuck in the CU build .297.
Keep in mind that the parameters that I will use are specific to these phone models, so if you have a different one you need to find the parameters specific to your phone model.
This is an heuristic procedure, tested on a limited number of phones, so use it at your risk, keeping in mind that you could have problems or need to recover your phone loosing all your data, so do a proper backup before.

Let's start.
The problem appears because, during update phase, the oeminput.xml file becomes corrupted: as far as I know it happens only on some x20 models, and not for all the users.
Now we're going to rebuild it...

Go to the following link
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn756630(v=vs.85).aspx
Copy the content of example file oeminput.xml: i.e. copy the content of the framed zone after the phrase "The following example shows the contents of a sample ProductionOEMInput.xml file"
Paste in a .txt file which you'll rename and change extension so that it becomes oeminput.xml. Save it with notepad.
Now modify the file
at the node <SOC>{PROCESSOR_NAME}</SOC> modify {PROCESSOR_NAME} fake parameter in order to have the processor name of your phone: for the 920/925/1020 use QC8960
at the node <Resolution>480x800</Resolution> instead of 480x800 use the resolution of your phone: for the 920/925/1020 use 768x1280
in all the nodes related to language <Language>en-US</Language> use the language of your phone: I used for example it-IT because I have the phone in Italian language.
Save the file.
Now if you still don't have interop tools installed (but I think you should have if you arrived to CU with an x20 phone model) install it.
Launch interop tools and then click this device and enable full file system access. Reboot your phone, connect it to a pc with cable: you'll see more directories than usual, because you also unlocked system dirs: be careful not to delete or modify any dir apart from what you find in this guide or you'll risk to damage your phone. If you want to find your usual dirs (docs photos...etc), go to phone\Data\Users\Public. I advise you that after the procedure I couldn't deactivate full file system access, because it continues re-activating in interop tools, maybe there is a way: but you can live with this, because you can find the usual dirs in the path that I specified...
Now go to phone\windows\imageupdate, make a backup on pc of the current oeminput.xml and overwrite it with the new one.
At this point in the phone go to settings, update and then search for updates: you should find Fall Creators Update...

Good Luck!

p.s. I didn't extensively search on the forum if a similar guide has been already posted, in the case sorry for the duplication.

Thanks to Antonio who has actively participated in the realization of this guide

Attachments

• oeminput.xml
    1.2 KB · Views: 806
Last edited:

sigfrid696

Jan 11, 2010
no friend did not work, I keep throwing the same error, some idea that can be or another solution?

At this point I think it's not a problem of corrupted oeminput file.

I googled around...not so many people having the problem...I found this link...

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de...nd-eimem/0a6e1776-9005-40e8-a18e-9eaf0f35b648

It's in german language, but from what I understood the problem has been solved with Recovery Tool via pc: I know that's not the best solution, but maybe better than remaining without updates. Another significative information is that an hard reset alone doesn't solve the issue!
I hope that can be of any help...

NeoTriXz

Aug 23, 2011
At this point I think it's not a problem of corrupted oeminput file.

I googled around...not so many people having the problem...I found this link...

https://answers.microsoft.com/de-de...nd-eimem/0a6e1776-9005-40e8-a18e-9eaf0f35b648

It's in german language, but from what I understood the problem has been solved with Recovery Tool via pc: I know that's not the best solution, but maybe better than remaining without updates. Another significative information is that an hard reset alone doesn't solve the issue!
I hope that can be of any help...

thank you friend, for your time, but I already solved it, well I had to perform a hard reset,

sigfrid696

Jan 11, 2010
does this works for lumia 520
and what parameter should i used for my lumia 520 Rm 914
i'm stuck on 15063.251
and my lumia finds fall cu update
but shows Error 0x80070273
does this really resolve this error

I think you should use for 520
<SOC>QC8227</SOC>
<Resolution>480x800</Resolution>

If you receive an error when you try to overwrite oeminput.xml, it means that your phone has not been unlocked for full filesystem access. Please refer to the guide in order to enable full filesystem access

sigfrid696

Jan 11, 2010
how is complete unlock ??????????
I use interop tools

The error overwriting oeminput.xml happens when you haven't obtained full filesystem access.
In order to obtain full filesystem access:
Open Interop Tools, then this device, then Interop Unlock.
Check Full Filesysytem Access and restart your device.

Refer to this thread to download correct version of Interop Tools

https://forum.xda-developers.com/windows-10-mobile/tutorial-restore-glance-windows-10-t3540571

Let me know if you can solve the problem this way.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For those who are still waiting for a fix for the update error and don't want to undergo the recovery process, I found a different solution, which doesn't need a recovery operation on the phone.

I tested it with success on my 1020 and another 925 which were stuck in the CU build .297.
    Keep in mind that the parameters that I will use are specific to these phone models, so if you have a different one you need to find the parameters specific to your phone model.
    This is an heuristic procedure, tested on a limited number of phones, so use it at your risk, keeping in mind that you could have problems or need to recover your phone loosing all your data, so do a proper backup before.

Let's start.
    The problem appears because, during update phase, the oeminput.xml file becomes corrupted: as far as I know it happens only on some x20 models, and not for all the users.
    Now we're going to rebuild it...

Go to the following link
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn756630(v=vs.85).aspx
    Copy the content of example file oeminput.xml: i.e. copy the content of the framed zone after the phrase "The following example shows the contents of a sample ProductionOEMInput.xml file"
    Paste in a .txt file which you'll rename and change extension so that it becomes oeminput.xml. Save it with notepad.
    Now modify the file
    at the node <SOC>{PROCESSOR_NAME}</SOC> modify {PROCESSOR_NAME} fake parameter in order to have the processor name of your phone: for the 920/925/1020 use QC8960
    at the node <Resolution>480x800</Resolution> instead of 480x800 use the resolution of your phone: for the 920/925/1020 use 768x1280
    in all the nodes related to language <Language>en-US</Language> use the language of your phone: I used for example it-IT because I have the phone in Italian language.
    Save the file.
    Now if you still don't have interop tools installed (but I think you should have if you arrived to CU with an x20 phone model) install it.
    Launch interop tools and then click this device and enable full file system access. Reboot your phone, connect it to a pc with cable: you'll see more directories than usual, because you also unlocked system dirs: be careful not to delete or modify any dir apart from what you find in this guide or you'll risk to damage your phone. If you want to find your usual dirs (docs photos...etc), go to phone\Data\Users\Public. I advise you that after the procedure I couldn't deactivate full file system access, because it continues re-activating in interop tools, maybe there is a way: but you can live with this, because you can find the usual dirs in the path that I specified...
    Now go to phone\windows\imageupdate, make a backup on pc of the current oeminput.xml and overwrite it with the new one.
    At this point in the phone go to settings, update and then search for updates: you should find Fall Creators Update...

Good Luck!

p.s. I didn't extensively search on the forum if a similar guide has been already posted, in the case sorry for the duplication.

Thanks to Antonio who has actively participated in the realization of this guide
    Thank you!
    I modified it, now it should be ok!