【Guide】How To flash ANY Captivate ROM from Stock (including ICS)

Search This thread

4-2ndtwin

Dec 18, 2010
Hi, Just wondering if i just need to follow this to get a bad IMEI number fixed ?

First 1. I unlocked (one click method )
2. Flashed with your method here .
3. flashed
[ROM][OFFICIAL][4.2.2]RemICS-JB v4.0(Team Remics) [4/22/13]

So i know what i did wrong, so will this fix it ?
I did do a complete back up after I flashed CWM.

Original Android was..
.firmware--- 2.2

kernel----- 2.6.32.9

build---- FROYO.UCKB2

BASEBAND----I897UCKB2

Thanks and appreciate all work fellas...

Many users have reported that flashing back to Stock i897ucKK4 has restored their imei.
See the Stock Rom stickied thread in the Development forum, post #3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk

Nihar

Sep 13, 2012
Pune
Hi, Just wondering if i just need to follow this to get a bad IMEI number fixed ?

First 1. I unlocked (one click method )
2. Flashed with your method here .
3. flashed
[ROM][OFFICIAL][4.2.2]RemICS-JB v4.0(Team Remics) [4/22/13]

So i know what i did wrong, so will this fix it ?
I did do a complete back up after I flashed CWM.

Original Android was..
.firmware--- 2.2

kernel----- 2.6.32.9

build---- FROYO.UCKB2

BASEBAND----I897UCKB2

Thanks and appreciate all work fellas...

i would recommend going to GB, then install corn kernel, install ICS and then install a desired rom...

bbogdanmircea

Oct 4, 2008
Iasi
Quick question: After more than 1 year my cm10 is really lagging.
I would like to go to recovery and delete all cache dalvik and user data and apps but without reinstalling cm10.
I have Titanium Backup weekly for my apps.
Waiting for steps, I know first is power button and then Reboot to Recovery but what should I do after I get to the recovery screen ? Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
Quick question: After more than 1 year my cm10 is really lagging.
I would like to go to recovery and delete all cache dalvik and user data and apps but without reinstalling cm10.
I have Titanium Backup weekly for my apps.
Waiting for steps, I know first is power button and then Reboot to Recovery but what should I do after I get to the recovery screen ? Thanks!

Well it really depends on which recovery you are using. But go into recovery and look for the option "factory reset"

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin

bbogdanmircea

Oct 4, 2008
Iasi
I have the cwm recovery, the one with lots of options that also allows you to rei stall cm for sd zip. Only problem that when I installed it for the first time it was really scary, crashed at some point, I thought I bricked the phone, then I made it work somehow. That's why I only want to clean as much as possible my current cm so it works as freshly installed.

KruciFFF

Oct 25, 2013
Bangalore
I have the cwm recovery, the one with lots of options that also allows you to rei stall cm for sd zip. Only problem that when I installed it for the first time it was really scary, crashed at some point, I thought I bricked the phone, then I made it work somehow. That's why I only want to clean as much as possible my current cm so it works as freshly installed.

Go with the 'Factory Reset' in the Recovery along with Keeping Backup of your Own Apps(Optional: Sync your data like Contacts,Calendar data,etc with Google Account), It will make your Phone as fresh as New install! :)

Cheer!:good:

bbogdanmircea

Oct 4, 2008
Iasi
Well I have TB so no problem backing up data .
So factory reset from recovery will just wipe all data and all apps ?
How it is different from factory reset from phone menu ?

KruciFFF

Oct 25, 2013
Bangalore
Well I have TB so no problem backing up data .
So factory reset from recovery will just wipe all data and all apps ?
How it is different from factory reset from phone menu ?

Factory Reset
The 'lighter' of the two reset options. It can be done either in settings or via recovery menu. It wipes all user data and firmware settings, but leaves the contents of your internal SDcard intact.

Hard Reset
Restores a smartphone to its basic factory settings, which erases all applications that were installed by the user as well as all user data. Hard Reset wipes everything including the contents of your internal SD Card(used for OS files storage). Whatever firmware you last flashed will be the firmware you get back, but everything else will be wiped

Hope you're cleared with it. Cheers! :)

arqam249

Jul 15, 2014
Lahore
Phone Stucks

Hey
I Have Installed speedmod kernal but my phone stucks at Galaxy S Boot Screen
Please Tell Me What To Do..

spac3c4t512

Aug 16, 2014
Smithville
Great tutorial!!

WOW!! Thanks for this very easy to follow tutorial. I didn't have much confidence that I'd be able to get it right on the first attempt, but your instruction was clear enough for even a dumb 'ol hillbilly like me. My old captivate is resurrected and running faster than a spotted-butt ape.(I've never seen one of these creatures, but according to my late grandad they exist and move very quickly) I now have CWM recovery and CM-10.0.0-captivatemtd installed and I can't thank you enough.

Golden Hawaiian

Oct 2, 2014
Heimdall - "Device not Detected" on Mac 10.9 - (i897 with 2.1 Eclair)

I wanted to flash my old i897 captivate with a custom rom. It still had original stock 2.1 Eclair and it needed to be on 2.3 Gingerbread. I work on a mac (10.9.5) and decided the best way to get this upgrade to 2.3.5 was to use the Heimdall oneclick I897UCKK4 with bootloaders(no cell service on the phone). While in download mode, I kept getting the same problem "device not detected". I tried installing Heimdall frontend 1.4 and tried to access from the terminal but was still getting "device not detected". Hours and hours researching left me with .....bootloader problem on Eclair, try another USB cable, try other USB ports, uninstall Kies drivers, disable mac USB drivers etc. After trying some suggestions with no success, I borrowed a Windows 8 laptop. On Windows, I thought I should try Kies 2.6. That was wrong! After a conversation with Samsung, I tried Kies Mini (it is supposed to update Eclair and Froyo devices to GB). It looked like it was working until after download mode and then it aborted multiple times. Since I work on Mac and will be using Heimdall in the future, I decided to download the same Heimdall oneclick I897UCKK4 to the Windows laptop that I had downloaded to my Mac. This time it worked, "device detected"! I did the second flash for the GB bootloaders, SUCCESS! I tested the Heimdall oneclick, heimdall frontend and terminal on my Mac and the 2.3.5 device is detected. Thanks!

Heimdall oneclick i897UCKK4 with bootloaders from this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=18370912&postcount=3

Reactions: 4-2ndtwin
Bricked 2x by speedmod kernel

I have gone through to procedure to install the speedmod kernel 2x with the same results - a phone that will not boot. I re-flash ROM with an Odin-click-stock i897uckk4 ROM to unbrick it since the phone will go into download mode. The phone was running Gingerbread v2.3.

After flashing speedmod, I have to try 3 or 4 times to get the bricked phone into recovery mode. It keeps freezing at the Samsung i897 boot screen, but eventually enters recovery. I tried to install cm-10.2.0-RC1-captivatemtd, and cm-11-20150208-NIGHTLY-captivatemtd. Both fail with an "Installation Aborted" message.

How can I get this phone rooted? It not seem to work with speedmod. Is there some other kernel I can flash?

It seems like I was able to get the phone rooted by flashing an old CornKernel_UCKK4_v706.tar (attached):

1) Downloaded the attached file
2) Launched Odin on my computer
2) Connected phone in download mode to my computer
3) Clicked "Reset", and "PDA" on Odin
4) Browsed to the file and click "Start" on Odin

The phone was seems to be rooted with ClockWorkMod recovery installed. I was subsequently able to install CyanogenMod 11. However, if I access the phone with ADB, the prompt is a "$", not a "#".

Does a rooted phone always show a "#" prompt instead of a"$"?

Attachments

• CornKernel_UCKK4_v706.tar
    6.2 MB · Views: 132

TRusselo

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2011
Edmonton
News flash! You do not need to root the phone first, if you are going to flash a custom rom. And most custom ROMs come pre rooted so you don't need to root your phone afterwards

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a new updated guide on how-to flash roms found on XDA > Captivate > Development section from a stock phone out of box running 2.1 or 2.2 (or anything else). This method skips using the (out-dated for captivate) Rom Manager App CWM install and the 3e recovery "signature verification" crap and includes gingerbread bootloader update.

These instructions are the same for the i896 (rogers) and i897 (at&t) captivates. There is NO DIFFERENCE! ALL ROMS/KERNELS WORK ON BOTH PHONES!

ODIN METHOD (windows only)
    If you have or EVER have had Gingerbread you can skip steps 4 - 6
    If you have CWM already you might be able to skip 7 - 10 ( if rom wont flash you have wrong cwm type kernel (cwm2/3), and will need to do 7-10 with correct kernel type)
    If skipping 4-6 AND 7-10 you can also skip 3 !!........and... 1
    1. Take phone out of box (should be done)
    2. Find a neat-o ROM from Captivate Development Section and get it onto your internal SD card (the one you cant remove) download using phone internet browser or download and copy to phone using PC.
    3. Download and Run Odin Flashing Utility (not Odin one click) Odin3 v1.7.zip
    4. Boot phone into DOWNLOAD mode (instructions below)
    5. Click PDA button in Odin and find the .tar file --> i897 gingerbread bootloader upgrade (DO NOT USE BOOTLOADER BOX in newer odin versions!) ONLY DO THIS ONE TIME EVER! Only if phone has never had Gingerbread running on it. No need to downgrade bootloaders if going back to froyo!
    6. Click "Start" in Odin
    7. Reboot phone into DOWNLOAD mode (instructions below)
    8. Click RESET button in Odin (beside START)
    9. Click PDA button in Odin and find your kernel.tar file (speedmod kernel (this kernel isn't too important as it will be replaced by custom rom's kernel, but speedmod kernel understands both froyo (amend) scripting and gingerbread (edify) scripting so is great for this purpose to install any rom cwm zip file next.)
    10. Click "Start" in Odin
    11. Reboot into RECOVERY mode (instructions below) ** Use volume buttons to navigate up/dn and pwr for enter.
    12. Select "flash zip from sd card"
    13. Find your rom of choice on your SDcard and select Yes
    WINNING! DONE YOUR FIRST FLASH!
    Now you have CWM and a ROM....
    Heimdall Method (Any OS) thanks to AdamOutler
    Ensure you have the lastest version of Java here
    Download Easy CWM and Bootloaders Gingerbread here

1. Take phone out of box (should be done)
    2. Find a neat-o ROM from Captivate Development Section and get it onto your internal SD card (the one you cant remove) download using phone internet browser or download and copy to phone using PC.
    3. Boot phone into DOWNLOAD mode
    4. Start Heimdall One-Click "EasyCWM and Gingerbread bootloaders"
    5. follow directions (if any) given to install Heimdall drivers and dependencies (if required on your platform). On windows, the USB port your device is plugged into will now use heimdall drivers, if you have Samsung drivers installed, they will remain on all other USB ports.
    6. Click "flash". Note: if you wish to upgrade bootloaders, hold Volume+ and Volume- so as to reboot into Download Mode after the flash otherwise skip the next step.
    7. Check the Flash Bootloaders checkbox and flash again to upgrade to Gingerbread bootloaders (this only needs to be done once, EVER)
    8. Reboot into RECOVERY mode ** Use volume buttons to navigate up/dn and pwr for enter.
    9. Select "flash zip from sd card"
    10. Find your rom of choice and select Yes

Odin flashing a kernel is only needed when switching from Froyo (cwm2) to GingerBread (cwm3) or vice versa.
    **If staying on "froyo" based roms (or GB based roms) to flash a new rom or .zip kernel, just boot into cwm recovery and flash! no odin needed~!
    **Froyo CWM kernels/roms use CWM2 with amend scripting
    **Gingerbread CWM kernel/roms use CWM 3 or newer with edify scripting
    **If flashing a froyo or earlier cwm.zip rom you must have a froyo cwm2 kernel first
    **If flashing a Gingerbread or later cwm.zip rom you must have cwm3 or newer kernel first
    **or just use Speedmod kernel with CWM 2.5 which understands BOTH amend and edify to change rom versions.

Instructions for download mode: (more help in post 2 if needed...)
    1. plug USB cable into computer
    2. have phone shut off
    3. hold both volume buttons
    4. plug USB into phone
    5. let go of buttons when you see an android digging "down"
    Instructions for recovery mode:
    1. have phone shut off
    2. hold both volume buttons
    3. press and hold power button
    4. KEEP ALL 3 BUTTONS HELD for 3-5 seconds
    5. after kernel bootscreen you will see clockwork recovery menu
    An advanced flashing guide (slightly oudated for gingerbread and more info than noobs need) here by a REALLY SMART GUY AdamOutler Again!

If windows doesnt find and install the drivers automatically here they are: (Win 7 has found them for me EVERY TIME, ive never had to install these but others have)
    Windows Drivers - select the proper driver for your setup
    32 bit: http://www.mediafire.com/?0b45zo7o75rc5d5
    64 bit: http://www.mediafire.com/?3dh4d6up72me9re

other great guide is my NEW USER GUIDE in my sig. make sure to read it and find out what STICKIES are and make sure to read them in each forum section!

TO GET BACK TO STOCK:
    ATT : [Stock ROMs](OneClicks Master Collection)+[Kernels (Stock & w/ CWM)]+[Modems] UPDATED
    ROGERS : Rogers Captivate Stock ROMS 2.1-2.3
    Advanced Download Mode Help
    Originally Posted by jmtheiss "Just get into download mode and..."

Ever find yourself with a phone that's misbehaving, and you can't seem to figure out how to get it to download mode?

Here's a list of things to try (many thanks AdamOutler and Pirateghost), sorted in a "where are you now" setup:

FROM A POWERED-DOWN STATE - BATTERY REMOVED
    - Insert battery, then press and hold Vol+ and Vol-, then insert your USB cable.
    - Press and hold Vol+/Vol-, Insert Battery, Insert USB cable
    - Press and hold Vol+/Vol-, Insert USB cable, Insert Battery
    - Use a 301Kohm jig between USB pins 4-5 (can be manufactured jig or homemade chain of resistors)

FROM A BATTERY CHARGING STATE
    - With USB cable inserted into Android device, press and hold Vol+/Vol-, then press Power
    - (Advanced Method) Use UART, and during battery charging, type "reboot download"

FROM CLOCKWORKMOD RECOVERY MENU
    - Position the cursor (highlighted selection) on "Restart device", Plug in USB cable, press and hold Vol-, then hold Vol+, then press power
    - (Where available) Use the "Reboot Download" option in the "Advanced" menu

FROM A FULLY BOOTED PHONE STATE, WITH USB DEBUGGING ENABLED
    Note: you may need to have ADB installed on your computer, and/or an Android Terminal Emulator installed on your Android device.
    - Connect your Android device to your computer, navigate to your ADB directory, and type "adb reboot download"
    - (Where available) Use the rom's power menu option to reboot into download
    - From a terminal, type "su", then "reboot download"
    - Download the app "quickboot", follow the app directions to reach download mode.

ADVANCED METHODS - REQUIRE HARDWARE MODIFICATIONS OR MORE IN-DEPTH TECHNIQUES
    I'm presenting these largely unedited, as I don't want to incorrectly type an important detail of something that I don't understand myself.
    - Apply UnBrickable mod to your device, then remove the battery, insert the battery, and click the "Download Mode" button on the computer
    - Use UART (619Kohm resistor between USB pins 4-5, D+=RX, D-=TX, 192500bps 8n1 comms), press and hold ENTER while booting, then type USB

One additional thing - your download mode screen should, normally, look like the yellow triangle with the Android guy digging. However, if a flash goes foul somehow, you may be left with the infamous "phone--/!\--PC" screen. If you see this, don't panic. Although it's not technically the download mode screen, many users (including myself) have been able to successfully flash from that screen. Give it a try.

Oh, and thanks mrhaley30705 for suggesting this thread.
    END ALL DRIVER ISSUES WITH WINDOWS 7

Step 1 - Right Click " Computer " > Properties (aka system information)
    enable%20drives%20windows.png
    you have to uninstall your drivers and install it's drivers. it is all done within heimdall, but still a pain. you cant use both.
    That's only partially true. Unlike Odin/Kies, installing drivers for Heimdall will only affect one port at a time. In which case if you install Heimdall after Odin you can easily use both by simply swapping USB ports. If you install Kies/Odin after Heimdall then it will clobber Heimdall's driver and you'll have to reinstall it.
    Can't wait to try this. My wife just got a captivate that replaced her HTC aria through ins. her aria was running current cm7 nighties. Can't wait do root her phone and run some custom roms and kernels on her bare stock froyo. wish me luck!

Im kind of confused on step 5. When i open up the i897 gingerbread bootloaders program and run it and click PDA where do I find the bootloader? Do I select the PDA.tar.md5 file that came with it? and if Im on Froyo and afterwards im going to flash current cm7 nightly, do i use the gingerbread kernel or the one Im CURRENTLY on? So sorry. Id greatly appreciate any assistance. my wife cant wait to have a snappy captivate. :D

Edit: The phone is completely 2.1 out of the box.
    bootloader program??? its a tar file you use with ODIN program. click PDA button. find the tar file that downloaded when you clicked the "i897 gingerbread bootloader" link above. Dont un-tar it.

well.... I went for it and I can now have CWM 5.0.2.6 and I put the latest nightly and gapps on sd card and for some reason I cant see it on sd card anywhere? Ive done complete wipe and now ready for a rom but cant read anything on external_sd/? What do you think the problem is? PLease help....I ll hit the thanks button for like the next ten 10 days or something :p
    INTERNAL SD. NOT EXTERNAL. it says THE ONE YOU CANT REMOVE.....

holy heck slow down and get one question answered before moving on, and slow down and read. this is how you get into trouble.