• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide] How to flash the Open Market FFU for the IDOL4s Open Market 6071W

Search This thread

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
As we currently know it the open market FFU for the IDOL 4s will not flash properly to the open market model IDOL 4s phone. The below steps and attached files will allow this to change.

I was thankfully able to find this information due to a member over at 4pda who put together steps using the full engineering tool (link). They shared the link here to that post. Since I cannot attach the full files of that tool here due to size restrictions, I came up with an alternate method to share on this site and attach the needed files to flash.

This is a an alternate method to flash your open market IDOL 4s with the Open market FFU. You do this at your own risk. I personally feel it is relatively safe to use this method since we are in EDL (Emergency Download) mode anyway, yet even though I have done this now 4 or 5 times flashing an ffu to the IDOL 4s there is still a risk that something could go wrong. So I/we are not responsible if you kill your phone. The following directions assume you are running Windows 10 Creators update on the PC you are flashing from. If you need assistance downloading or installing the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 drivers you will need to look on the internet or search XDA forums. There are plenty of resources on that. The good thing is that when I tested it from my tablet for the first time the device showed up in device manager as QHUSB_BULK. I simply right clicked it in device manager and updated the driver to get the correct USB driver installed. It flashed fine after that. With that out of the way I can share the information to flash the open market ffu.

Make sure you charge your phone prior. To be safe 100%. This can be done at the minimum 40% charge or maybe 20% but that could be pushing it depending on the health of your battery.

--Obtain the open market ffu file
Download the open market firmware ffu from WDRT by opening the tool and selecting the open market IDOL 4s and advancing the steps/windows until it finishes downloading. Click cancel once done and close WDRT. By default it should download to C:\ProgramData\Alcatel\Packages\Products\6071W\RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU

--Download the attached Idol4S.zip
Download the attached zip file
In the attached zip file you will find the following:
Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin
rawprogram_6071w_OM.xml
emmcdl.exe

You only need to use the emmcdl.exe file and the bin file. Don't worry about the xml file for now.

--Setup the files for flashing
Extract them to their own folder. So for the sake of argument we have them here: C:\Idol4S\
There will be 3 files in the Idol4s folder. Next move the FFU file you downloaded previously to this folder for simplicity.

Now you will see 4 files there under C:\Idol4S\:
RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU
rawprogram_6071w_OM.xml
emmcdl.exe

--Reboot your IDOL 4s into Emergency download mode.
Turn off your Idol 4s windows phone. Once powered down push and hold the volume Down Key in and keep it held in.

Next plug in the phone to the USB C cable connected to your PC.
It will vibrate but continue to hold the Down volume key for a second or two. You should see device manager recognize the phone as something like QHUSB_BULK or Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008.

If it shows up as QHUSB_BULK or something else you need to install the correct drivers in order for it to appear as QDloader 9008.

Once it shows as QDloader 9008 like the pic below. Write down the port number it shows up under...in my case COM3

attachment.php

--Flash the phone
Once in EDL mode open the folder where your 4 files for flashing are stored. Then either open a powershell prompt or command prompt Click File > Open Windows PowerShell or click File > Open Command prompt.
Begin to run the below commands:

from Windows PS --
Code:
.\emmcdl.exe -p com3 -f C:\Idol4S\Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin -ffu C:\Idol4S\RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU

from cmd --
Code:
emmcdl.exe -p com3 -f C:\Idol4S\Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin -ffu C:\Idol4S\RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU
The flashing takes a bit of time. You will see lots of output scrolling. Just leave the device and the screen alone for a bit until it finishes. Once it's finished the phone will reboot automatically.

If it stalls at he beginning or fails. Reboot your phone and put it into EDL mode again. Or reattach the usb cable and put into EDL mode again. Retry the command.

Again, to repeat, if you choose to do any of this it is at the risk to your own device. Thanks.

Attachments

• Idol4S.zip
    282.9 KB · Views: 1,351
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    3.9 KB · Views: 1,812
Last edited:

tbrcan

May 13, 2016
Great tutorial Nate!
Easy to follow and working without a glitch.

Just a remark for those who might think that this could sim-unlock their 6071W - IT DOES NOT!

While it will load the Open market FFU the model reported is still 6071W, still locked to TMO and WDRT will still not recognise it to load Open market sw.

Reactions: sajib_ngage

compu829

Nov 5, 2006
If I plug the phone in while it is powered off, and push only both volume rocker buttons in at the same time it will go into edl mode every time. I dont think I tried both the power and volume down keys though. If that works too, then good.

If you are starting it with the phone off, just hold VolDn while plugging it into the computer.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
Folks, here is the tool that helped me acquire the loader file for this phone. The tool packages are greater than 30MB so I had to share a link for them. Someone might find this useful. It was originally hosted on the 4pda forums, so the credit goes to those guys over there for making this tool available. The tool can also reflash the OpenMarket Idol4s. It basically works by building a compressed exe file from the FFU based on the model you chose (Idol4Pro). You launch that newly made exe file and it opens as a flashing tool. You put your phone into EDL mode and the tool then can flash the phone. Link

Last edited:

sco1984

May 28, 2009
Pune city
Model of alcatel idol 4s is: ALCATEL IDOL 4S with Windows 10 NA
If I connect my idol 4s to WDRT & select 'Open Market' from the list and proceed, in firmware line it says firmware version: unknown. [for Device]
available firmware on server: 1052.16.09031.50700

How to proceed? Thanks.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
Model of alcatel idol 4s is: ALCATEL IDOL 4S with Windows 10 NA
If I connect my idol 4s to WDRT & select 'Open Market' from the list and proceed, in firmware line it says firmware version: unknown. [for Device]
available firmware on server: 1052.16.09031.50700

How to proceed? Thanks.
Are you trying to flash your device from WDRT? What have you done so far, what are you trying to do?

sco1984

May 28, 2009
Pune city
Are you trying to flash your device from WDRT? What have you done so far, what are you trying to do?

@nate0 : As per the instructions in this thread I am trying to =
Download the open market firmware ffu from WDRT
:)

My device has same firmware version as on server.
So the question is do I need to download that file to proceed with rest of the process?
The reason I want to flash my device using better/different firmware is because WhatsApp web isn't working in my phone.
Camera in my IDOL 4s with Windows 10 NA is unable to scan whatsapp web QR code.
However 3rd party application is able to scan whatsapp web QR code.

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
@nate0 : As per the instructions in this thread I am trying to = :)

My device has same firmware version as on server.
So the question is do I need to download that file to proceed with rest of the process?
The reason I want to flash my device using better/different firmware is because WhatsApp web isn't working in my phone.
Camera in my IDOL 4s with Windows 10 NA is unable to scan whatsapp web QR code.
However 3rd party application is able to scan whatsapp web QR code.

Alcatel only has one fw revision per device variant. Each has the same issue which you list...Camera in my IDOL 4s with Windows 10 NA is unable to scan whatsapp web QR code. You can change fw but I doubt that will fix your issue as each variant faces that whatsapp issue even the Idol 4 Pro EURO variant.

dyasten

Sep 18, 2015
I tried to get into Emergency Download Mode.
Q1: Instead of "QHUSB_BULK" or "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" I only see "Care Suite Emergency Connectivity". What should I do?
Q2: Once Q1 is solved, can I use VMware running Windows 10 Creators update? Because it says it's assumed to run that. Also I have Windows 7 on my machine; that's why I should use the Virtual Machine

Last edited:

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
I tried to get into Emergency Download Mode.
Q1: Instead of "QHUSB_BULK" or "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" I only see "Care Suite Emergency Connectivity". What should I do?
Q2: Once Q1 is solved, can I use VMware running Windows 10 Creators update? Because it says it's assumed to run that. Also I have Windows 7 on my machine; that's why I should use the Virtual Machine
For Q1 you might try to right click it in device manager and Update the Driver manually. Or let windows search for a better driver...
For Q2, technically you can as long as your HW supports virualizaion which is enabled in the bios (whole other topic...)

Reactions: dyasten

dyasten

Sep 18, 2015
For Q1 you might try to right click it in device manager and Update the Driver manually. Or let windows search for a better driver...
For Q2, technically you can as long as your HW supports virualizaion which is enabled in the bios (whole other topic...)

I managed to get Q1 working. Thanks
I asked a friend to borrow his computer running the latest Windows 10 update. Should I use his computer? He will bring it this weekend. Or do I really need the Windows 10 Creators update?

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
@dyasten
With emmcdl.exe do a test first.
emmcdl.exe -l ::: this should list devices it sees and you should see your port COMxx...or whatever the COM number is.
emmcdl.exe -p COMxx -f <Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin> ::: this should result in just a command complete. All it does is load the programmer and look for a repsonse.
If those work, I would assume you are good to flash the phone at that point. I will leave it up to you to decide on using a W10 pc or not...

Reactions: dyasten

dyasten

Sep 18, 2015
@dyasten
With emmcdl.exe do a test first.
emmcdl.exe -l ::: this should list devices it sees and you should see your port COMxx...or whatever the COM number is.
emmcdl.exe -p COMxx -f <Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin> ::: this should result in just a command complete. All it does is load the programmer and look for a repsonse.
If those work, I would assume you are good to flash the phone at that point. I will leave it up to you to decide on using a W10 pc or not...
I got command complete on my current Windows 7. It was on COM6. I did shift + right-click in the folder and opened cmd; there I did:
Code:
emmcdl.exe -p COM6 -f Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin -ffu RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU

It flashed succesfully I think:
Code:
<log value="Finished programming start_sector 122142720 and TotalSectorsToProgram 256"/>
</data>
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<data>
<response value="ACK" rawmode="false" />
</data>

The reason I wanted to flash is because I want Dutch language on my phone. But after succesfully flashing I still don't see Dutch. How could I get the Dutch (Belgian) language pack?

nate0

Mar 27, 2015
www.youtube.com
You should be able to load the language pack cab file if it is missing by using iutool. What region are you residing in? If you are in Europe I guess you could flash the Idol 4 Pro variant ffu which I believe should have that language pack already packed in, but you would need to confirm that first...

Edit: There are 3 variant FFUs for this phone. The T-Mobile US / Open market / Idol 4 Pro

Last edited:

dyasten

Sep 18, 2015
I flashed your ffu open marked there is no Dutch in it. Where to download the cab? I'm from Belgium, language is Dutch/Flemisch

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As we currently know it the open market FFU for the IDOL 4s will not flash properly to the open market model IDOL 4s phone. The below steps and attached files will allow this to change.

I was thankfully able to find this information due to a member over at 4pda who put together steps using the full engineering tool (link). They shared the link here to that post. Since I cannot attach the full files of that tool here due to size restrictions, I came up with an alternate method to share on this site and attach the needed files to flash.

This is a an alternate method to flash your open market IDOL 4s with the Open market FFU. You do this at your own risk. I personally feel it is relatively safe to use this method since we are in EDL (Emergency Download) mode anyway, yet even though I have done this now 4 or 5 times flashing an ffu to the IDOL 4s there is still a risk that something could go wrong. So I/we are not responsible if you kill your phone. The following directions assume you are running Windows 10 Creators update on the PC you are flashing from. If you need assistance downloading or installing the Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008 drivers you will need to look on the internet or search XDA forums. There are plenty of resources on that. The good thing is that when I tested it from my tablet for the first time the device showed up in device manager as QHUSB_BULK. I simply right clicked it in device manager and updated the driver to get the correct USB driver installed. It flashed fine after that. With that out of the way I can share the information to flash the open market ffu.

Make sure you charge your phone prior. To be safe 100%. This can be done at the minimum 40% charge or maybe 20% but that could be pushing it depending on the health of your battery.

--Obtain the open market ffu file
    Download the open market firmware ffu from WDRT by opening the tool and selecting the open market IDOL 4s and advancing the steps/windows until it finishes downloading. Click cancel once done and close WDRT. By default it should download to C:\ProgramData\Alcatel\Packages\Products\6071W\RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU

--Download the attached Idol4S.zip
    Download the attached zip file
    In the attached zip file you will find the following:
    rawprogram_6071w_OM.xml
    emmcdl.exe

You only need to use the emmcdl.exe file and the bin file. Don't worry about the xml file for now.

--Setup the files for flashing
    Extract them to their own folder. So for the sake of argument we have them here: C:\Idol4S\
    There will be 3 files in the Idol4s folder. Next move the FFU file you downloaded previously to this folder for simplicity.

Now you will see 4 files there under C:\Idol4S\:
    RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU
    rawprogram_6071w_OM.xml
    emmcdl.exe

--Reboot your IDOL 4s into Emergency download mode.
    Turn off your Idol 4s windows phone. Once powered down push and hold the volume Down Key in and keep it held in.

Next plug in the phone to the USB C cable connected to your PC.
    It will vibrate but continue to hold the Down volume key for a second or two. You should see device manager recognize the phone as something like QHUSB_BULK or Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008.

If it shows up as QHUSB_BULK or something else you need to install the correct drivers in order for it to appear as QDloader 9008.

Once it shows as QDloader 9008 like the pic below. Write down the port number it shows up under...in my case COM3

attachment.php

--Flash the phone
    Once in EDL mode open the folder where your 4 files for flashing are stored. Then either open a powershell prompt or command prompt Click File > Open Windows PowerShell or click File > Open Command prompt.
    Begin to run the below commands:

from Windows PS --
    Code:
    .\emmcdl.exe -p com3 -f C:\Idol4S\Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin -ffu C:\Idol4S\RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU

from cmd --
    Code:
    emmcdl.exe -p com3 -f C:\Idol4S\Idol4S_PRO_WIN_NPRG7627.bin -ffu C:\Idol4S\RTM_IDOL_4S_Open_F1052.16.09031.50700_1052.16.09031.50700.FFU
    The flashing takes a bit of time. You will see lots of output scrolling. Just leave the device and the screen alone for a bit until it finishes. Once it's finished the phone will reboot automatically.

If it stalls at he beginning or fails. Reboot your phone and put it into EDL mode again. Or reattach the usb cable and put into EDL mode again. Retry the command.

Again, to repeat, if you choose to do any of this it is at the risk to your own device. Thanks.
    Hi ! note0,I follow your way .but it seem didn't work,Whether I put in China Mobile card, or China unicom card.stiil ask me for unlock code.what should I do?can you help me
    Displayed on the screen like this:
    the device is locked to a specific mobile operator.Contact your Mobil operator for unlock code.2 attempt remaining
    There is a working, proven way to remove the SIM-lock T-Mobile yourself.
    Register and ask on that Russian forum, they will help you there to remove the sim-lock.
    http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=822827&view=findpost&p=83259870
    But there are two alleged conditions:
    http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=822827&view=findpost&p=83266328
    The working method of SIM-lock removal was first found and tested by me on Alcatel ONETOUCH Fierce ™ XL Windows (5055W) T-Mobile, it turned out that this method works on Alcatel IDOL 4S Windows (6071W) T-Mobile.
    http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=910345&view=findpost&p=76296942
    In short - http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=822827&view=findpost&p=82218071
    Hello!
    We are from Russia with the 4pda forum.
    We found and flashing for the early firmware Retail T-Mobile (WP34) F1050.14.08011.53400. FFU and we have the BDS Menu mode.
    Login to the BDS Menu for a long time holding Power + Volume up.
    But we can not enter the massStorage mode.
    Can you help us?
    The test firmware (WP34) F1050.14.08011.33400 does not start - a cyclic reboot, but the input to the BDS menu on it works.
    ~One comrade from our forum have success with launching this test-firmware after modification cable
    http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=822827&view=findpost&p=73444124
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/Cdba/MLj6mApnA
    P.S. http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?s=&showtopic=822827&view=findpost&p=73467410
    Sorry to ask but how exactly do I push the cab and how to install with iutool? And will it be Dutch language system wide or only in certain apps/settings?

And isn't it strange that a Belgian simcard works on a Chinese phone but not on the European variant (ffu)? Belgium is located in Europe
    Install iuttool from here
    cd to the directory where it is installed I believe it is cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\tools\bin\i386"
    Then run iutool.exe -V -p c:\<path to the cab file> while the phone is connected to install it
    Great tutorial Nate!
    Easy to follow and working without a glitch.

Just a remark for those who might think that this could sim-unlock their 6071W - IT DOES NOT!

While it will load the Open market FFU the model reported is still 6071W, still locked to TMO and WDRT will still not recognise it to load Open market sw.