[GUIDE] How to get a Pixel feel on your Moto G4 Plus

Search This thread

reCoded

Mar 18, 2017
Following this guide will require unlocking your bootloader as well as having TWRP. Root isn't required.

How to get a Pixel feel on your Moto G4 Plus
by reCoded

Code:
/*
 * Your warranty has been voided.
 * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
 * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
 * do some research if you have any concerns about these mods before flashing!
 * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger
 * at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
 */

So, You've seen the Pixel. It's Google's take on a stock Android flagship. While Google added exclusive features to the Pixels, that doesn't mean that all devices can have them. This guide will show you how to give your Moto G4 Plus a Pixel feel. Before we start, this guide will require an unlocked bootloader and TWRP. If you're not comfortable with that, this isn't the tutorial for you. You don't need root for this, but it will make this tutorial easier.

What we're going to do

This is a list of what we're going to do.
  • Install AOSP 8.1
  • Add the Pixel 2 sounds
  • Get the Pixel boot animation and boot logo
  • Install some Pixel apps (Such as the launcher and camera)
  • Add the blue accent color and navigation bar using Substratum
  • Get the Google Sans font on the lock screen and other parts of the system

Getting started

Since the Pixel is on the latest version of Android (8.1.0) and the G4 Plus is only on Nougat, we'll need to flash a ROM. Now, there is currently only one 8.1.0 ROM which is AOSP built by Dreamstar. This ROM is perfect since it is pure stock Android with no extra features. Download the ROM here. Once you've set up to ROM, you can optionally set the DPI to 411 to match the Pixel. (Enable developer options and find the Smallest width option)

The flashing

Here's the fun part. We're going to do the heavy lifting now so we won't have to worry about it later. Make sure to create a backup before flashing any of these mods. We'll first want to flash the Pixel 2 sounds. You can find the flashable zip here. Once you flash that, you'll have the Pixel 2 sounds! Now, we'll want to get the Pixel 2 boot animation and boot logo. You can get the boot animation here and the boot logo here. (Make sure to download the white boot animation if you're going to install the boot logo.)

Getting the apps

Alright, the apps. Don't worry, you don't need that many. You're probably going to want to get the Pixel 2 launcher, which can be downloaded here. You'll also want to install the Pixel 2 wallpapers which can be downloaded here. If you want the Pixel 2 navigation bar and accent color, you need Substratum and Andromeda, which can be found on the Play Store. (Andromeda does cost money, but it's worth it.) Lastly, you'll want the Google Camera app, which can be downloaded here. (The camera app may not work 100% of the time since it's meant for Google devices only)

Theming

Alright, we're almost done. You're going to need Andromeda and Substratum, plus a root browser (or use TWRP's inbuilt file browser, which is what I did). You're going to need two themes, [Substratum] Pixel Theme for the navigation bar, and [Substratum] Always On Enabler, for the blue accent color. (Do note that [Substratum] Always On Enabler is unreleased, so it may be hard to find.) For [Substratum] Always On Enabler, enable the Android System overlay, which should be the only one. For [Substratum] Pixel Theme, enable System UI, and set the navbar style to either Pixel or Filled. Alright! Now you got the navigation bar and the blue accent color, but we're still not done yet... This is when you're going to need to use a root browser or TWRP's file browser for this step. (If you're going to use TWRP, make sure to mount the system.) You'll first want to download this file, extract it, and move the two folders (etc and fonts) into the /system folder. Next, you'll want to download this file and put it into /system/vendor/overlay by using TWRP or a root browser. Reboot and you should have Google Sans as your lock screen clock font and some settings titles.

Be happy

Well, you don't have to be happy, but you probably will be because you just transformed you G4 Plus into a Pixel! Woohoo! If this tutorial helped you out, leave a thanks! :good: It'll make me feel good about this post. I hope this post wasn't too difficult to understand and that you got your device to look like a Pixel.

Credits

This guide wouldn't be possible without these people.

Last edited:

KeveenKD7

Feb 11, 2016
How to get the navigation bar With white background?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171222-171215.png
    Screenshot_20171222-171215.png
    123.6 KB · Views: 539

YAZANOO14

Oct 17, 2016
Does framework-res__auto_generated_rro.apk work on the stock Android 8.1 update on Moto G5 as well??
(Well i don't need to install the ROM, i just came here to get the Google Sans font on the lockscreen)
Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Following this guide will require unlocking your bootloader as well as having TWRP. Root isn't required.

How to get a Pixel feel on your Moto G4 Plus
    by reCoded

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty has been voided.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about these mods before flashing!
     * YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if you point the finger
     * at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

So, You've seen the Pixel. It's Google's take on a stock Android flagship. While Google added exclusive features to the Pixels, that doesn't mean that all devices can have them. This guide will show you how to give your Moto G4 Plus a Pixel feel. Before we start, this guide will require an unlocked bootloader and TWRP. If you're not comfortable with that, this isn't the tutorial for you. You don't need root for this, but it will make this tutorial easier.

What we're going to do

This is a list of what we're going to do.
    • Install AOSP 8.1
    • Add the Pixel 2 sounds
    • Get the Pixel boot animation and boot logo
    • Install some Pixel apps (Such as the launcher and camera)
    • Add the blue accent color and navigation bar using Substratum
    • Get the Google Sans font on the lock screen and other parts of the system

Getting started

Since the Pixel is on the latest version of Android (8.1.0) and the G4 Plus is only on Nougat, we'll need to flash a ROM. Now, there is currently only one 8.1.0 ROM which is AOSP built by Dreamstar. This ROM is perfect since it is pure stock Android with no extra features. Download the ROM here. Once you've set up to ROM, you can optionally set the DPI to 411 to match the Pixel. (Enable developer options and find the Smallest width option)

The flashing

Here's the fun part. We're going to do the heavy lifting now so we won't have to worry about it later. Make sure to create a backup before flashing any of these mods. We'll first want to flash the Pixel 2 sounds. You can find the flashable zip here. Once you flash that, you'll have the Pixel 2 sounds! Now, we'll want to get the Pixel 2 boot animation and boot logo. You can get the boot animation here and the boot logo here. (Make sure to download the white boot animation if you're going to install the boot logo.)

Getting the apps

Alright, the apps. Don't worry, you don't need that many. You're probably going to want to get the Pixel 2 launcher, which can be downloaded here. You'll also want to install the Pixel 2 wallpapers which can be downloaded here. If you want the Pixel 2 navigation bar and accent color, you need Substratum and Andromeda, which can be found on the Play Store. (Andromeda does cost money, but it's worth it.) Lastly, you'll want the Google Camera app, which can be downloaded here. (The camera app may not work 100% of the time since it's meant for Google devices only)

Theming

Alright, we're almost done. You're going to need Andromeda and Substratum, plus a root browser (or use TWRP's inbuilt file browser, which is what I did). You're going to need two themes, [Substratum] Pixel Theme for the navigation bar, and [Substratum] Always On Enabler, for the blue accent color. (Do note that [Substratum] Always On Enabler is unreleased, so it may be hard to find.) For [Substratum] Always On Enabler, enable the Android System overlay, which should be the only one. For [Substratum] Pixel Theme, enable System UI, and set the navbar style to either Pixel or Filled. Alright! Now you got the navigation bar and the blue accent color, but we're still not done yet... This is when you're going to need to use a root browser or TWRP's file browser for this step. (If you're going to use TWRP, make sure to mount the system.) You'll first want to download this file, extract it, and move the two folders (etc and fonts) into the /system folder. Next, you'll want to download this file and put it into /system/vendor/overlay by using TWRP or a root browser. Reboot and you should have Google Sans as your lock screen clock font and some settings titles.

Be happy

Well, you don't have to be happy, but you probably will be because you just transformed you G4 Plus into a Pixel! Woohoo! If this tutorial helped you out, leave a thanks! :good: It'll make me feel good about this post. I hope this post wasn't too difficult to understand and that you got your device to look like a Pixel.

Credits

This guide wouldn't be possible without these people.
    Good progress here! Good work

Regards.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone