[GUIDE] How to install Google Dialer (Phone) and Contacts

Search This thread

fadedout

Jan 26, 2012
Google Dialer (Phone)

With Google's Phone application you can block spam and other unwanted calls. It also features enhanced caller ID. These are just a few of the features missing from the OP3's default dialer. Unfortunately Google does not allow installation of the app on non-Nexus devices like the OP3. To get around this, I've created a flashable zip that will install the Google Dialer (Phone) application and the requisite dialer framework. Installation instructions are as follows:

1. flash dialer_with_framework-2016-10-18-11-15-31.zip in recovery (if you are on a OOS 3.5+ ROM or encounter issues, try mounting /system first)
  2. grant desired permissions to the app, e.g. Contacts (to see your contacts and use speed dial), Phone (to see call log), Storage (in order to change ringtone), Location (to enable nearby places search)
  3. go to Settings/Apps/Default Apps and select the new Phone app
  4. disable the old Phone app
  5. disable the InCallUI system app (OOS 3.5+ ROMs only!)

Alternatively, you can flash only the dialer framework and sideload the Google Dialer application as a user app. You can find APKs at https://github.com/opengapps/all/tree/master/priv-app/com.google.android.dialer/23/nodpi or http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-phone/.

Note, you can also install the Google Dialer (Phone) and Dialer Framework via the Open GApps aroma installer, but I'd strongly advise against this on stock ROMs as it will significantly modify your existing GApps installation in the process.

Google Contacts

I've also attached a flashable zip to install Google's Contacts application as a system app. This release features contact groups, a more compact layout, and support for merging duplicate contacts. If you prefer, you can sideload it as a user install instead. APKs are available at https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-contacts/.

Included Versions:

contacts-2016-08-31-01-23-31.zip Contacts v1.5.16
dialer_with_framework-2016-08-23-07-23-31.zip Phone v4.0.129037693
dialer_with_framework-2016-10-18-11-15-31.zip Phone v4.1.134720488
dialer_with_framework-2016-10-09-21-16-39.zip Phone v5.1.131226882 (leaked from Google Pixel phone system dump)

Note: The zips include the latest releases available as of today (10/18/2016). I'll try to keep them up-to-date as updates are released by Google.

Attachments

• dialer_with_framework-2016-10-18-11-15-31.zip
    5 MB · Views: 11,032
  • dialer_with_framework-2016-10-09-21-16-39.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 8,958
  • dialer_with_framework-2016-08-23-07-23-31.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 758
  • dialer_framework_only-2016-08-19-05-04-22.zip
    124.7 KB · Views: 14,579
  • dialer_uninstaller-2016-08-23-06-54-08.zip
    123.6 KB · Views: 2,021
  • contacts-2016-08-31-01-23-31.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 3,712
  • contacts_uninstaller-2016-08-31-16-17-10.zip
    123.4 KB · Views: 1,489
Last edited:

Crazyhat

Aug 22, 2014
Vitoria-Gasteiz
With Google's Phone application you can block spam and other unwanted calls. It also features enhanced caller ID. These are just a few of the features missing from the OP3's default dialer. Unfortunately Google does not allow installation of the app on unsupported devices like the OP3. To get around this, I've created a flashable zip that will install the Google Dialer (Phone) application and the requisite dialer framework. The attached zip contains the most recent version of the dialer currently available, v4.0.129037693.

1. flash dialer_with_framework-2016-08-19-04-53-43.zip in recovery
  2. go to Settings/Apps/Default Apps and select the new Phone app
  3. disable the old Phone app (optional)

Alternatively, you can flash only the dialer framework and sideload the Google Dialer application as a user app. You can find APKs at https://github.com/opengapps/all/tree/master/priv-app/com.google.android.dialer/23/nodpi or http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-phone/.

Note, you can also install the Google Dialer (Phone) and Dialer Framework via the Open GApps aroma installer, but I'd strongly advise against this on stock ROMs as it will significantly modify your existing GApps installation in the process.
It's a very interesting tool but anyway, can you tell me please if it takes the birthday function?

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk

fadedout

Jan 26, 2012
It's a very interesting tool but anyway, can you tell me please if it takes the birthday function?

What's the birthday function? I don't think so.

Google Dialer is very similar to the stock OP3 dialer except it has the following additional settings menus:

• Call blocking (calls from these numbers will be blocked and voicemails will be automatically deleted)
  • Caller ID & spam (show useful information when you make or receive a call, such as name for a number not in your contacts or a warning when an incoming call is suspected to be spam)
  • Nearby places (when you search from the phone app, this feature will use your location to find nearby places that match your query)

Can you flash it on a non rooted phone? If so how

You don't need root, but you do need a custom recovery. For more information, see steps 1 and 2 of http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/how-to/oneplus-3-how-to-unlock-bootloader-t3398733. From there you just boot into recovery and "Install" the downloaded zip.

Crazyhat

Aug 22, 2014
Vitoria-Gasteiz
@fadedout with regard to birthday function, most dialers&contacts apps offer the possibility of putting the birthday date of your contacts in edition mode. In this way, the calendar and agenda will notify you about it. However, it is not possible in the native dialer&contatcs. That's why I asked you

fadedout

Jan 26, 2012
@fadedout with regard to birthday function, most dialers&contacts apps offer the possibility of putting the birthday date of your contacts in edition mode. In this way, the calendar and agenda will notify you about it. However, it is not possible in the native dialer&contatcs. That's why I asked you

You can add the birthday dates of your Google account contacts in the OP3's stock contacts app. It will then show up in Google Calendar. I don't think it has anything to do with the dialer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160819-223600.png
    Screenshot_20160819-223600.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 4,867
  • Screenshot_20160819-223605.png
    Screenshot_20160819-223605.png
    54.8 KB · Views: 4,837
  • Screenshot_20160819-224306.png
    Screenshot_20160819-224306.png
    65.5 KB · Views: 4,773
  • Screenshot_20160819-224309.png
    Screenshot_20160819-224309.png
    113.4 KB · Views: 4,451
Reactions: NinjaPlease

Crazyhat

Aug 22, 2014
Vitoria-Gasteiz
@fadedout Firstly , I really apreciate your reply. You are right, that is what I expected. However I cant add birthdays dates because that field doesn't exist in my native contacts app. Theoretically, if I import my contacts from a file, birthday dates should be showed but there is not a field to put that information in my contacts stock app. If i click on "more fields", the birthdays are not showed. I can't understand why i can't see that field.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160820-081002.png
    Screenshot_20160820-081002.png
    69 KB · Views: 2,835
  • Screenshot_20160820-081014.png
    Screenshot_20160820-081014.png
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,821
  • Screenshot_20160820-081036.png
    Screenshot_20160820-081036.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 2,807
Last edited:

fadedout

Jan 26, 2012
@fadedout Firstly , I really apreciate your reply. You are right, that is what I expected. However I cant add birthdays dates because that field doesn't exist in my native contacts app. Theoretically, if I import my contacts from a file, birthday dates should be showed but there is not a field to put that information in my contacts stock app. If i click on "more fields", the birthdays are not showed. I can't understand why i can't see that field.

Reactions: NinjaPlease

Crazyhat

Aug 22, 2014
Vitoria-Gasteiz
Is that contact stored on "PHONE" or a specific Google account? If it's stored on "PHONE", it will be missing fields like the birthday/anniversary date field and also the relationship field. So you may need to transfer them to a Google account. To see what I mean, create a new contact and compare the different fields that are available with "SIM Card contact", "PHONE contact", and "Google account" contact.
Oh, ok! I understand it now. Yeah, that's the reason. I have my contact list stored in the Internal memory of the phone, not in Google. So, due to it's an integrated app in Google system, it gets the information from Google account. Ok, thanks so much, mate. I'm busy now, but I'll install the app as soon as possible. I love it! ?

fadedout

Jan 26, 2012
Oh, ok! I understand it now. Yeah, that's the reason. I have my contact list stored in the Internal memory of the phone, not in Google. So, due to it's an integrated app in Google system, it gets the information from Google account. Ok, thanks so much, mate. I'm busy now, but I'll install the app as soon as possible. I love it! ?

Awesome, glad to help.

Reactions: Crazyhat

Crazyhat

Aug 22, 2014
Vitoria-Gasteiz
@fadedout Hi again, mate. Maybe the link to download is wrong. When I click on "dialer with framework" I get "dialer framework only" So, the full zip is not available

Last edited:

fadedout

Jan 26, 2012

Crazyhat

Aug 22, 2014
Vitoria-Gasteiz
I have already installed the zip and it works perfectly. It is a remarkable improvement dialer. Thank you very much for your contribution, mate. You have made me happy :)

hebl

May 17, 2008
Works great so far, thanks for providing this.

Only problem I face after disabling the standard phone application is that the in-call UI is also gone, but I can live with that.

Edit: Nevermind, after setting the Google Dialer as default as you wrote the in-call UI is now working as it should.

Last edited:
Reactions: HIcycles

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google Dialer (Phone)

With Google's Phone application you can block spam and other unwanted calls. It also features enhanced caller ID. These are just a few of the features missing from the OP3's default dialer. Unfortunately Google does not allow installation of the app on non-Nexus devices like the OP3. To get around this, I've created a flashable zip that will install the Google Dialer (Phone) application and the requisite dialer framework. Installation instructions are as follows:

1. flash dialer_with_framework-2016-10-18-11-15-31.zip in recovery (if you are on a OOS 3.5+ ROM or encounter issues, try mounting /system first)
    2. grant desired permissions to the app, e.g. Contacts (to see your contacts and use speed dial), Phone (to see call log), Storage (in order to change ringtone), Location (to enable nearby places search)
    3. go to Settings/Apps/Default Apps and select the new Phone app
    4. disable the old Phone app
    5. disable the InCallUI system app (OOS 3.5+ ROMs only!)

Google Contacts

I've also attached a flashable zip to install Google's Contacts application as a system app. This release features contact groups, a more compact layout, and support for merging duplicate contacts. If you prefer, you can sideload it as a user install instead. APKs are available at https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-contacts/.

Included Versions:

contacts-2016-08-31-01-23-31.zip Contacts v1.5.16
    dialer_with_framework-2016-08-23-07-23-31.zip Phone v4.0.129037693
    dialer_with_framework-2016-10-18-11-15-31.zip Phone v4.1.134720488
    dialer_with_framework-2016-10-09-21-16-39.zip Phone v5.1.131226882 (leaked from Google Pixel phone system dump)

Note: The zips include the latest releases available as of today (10/18/2016). I'll try to keep them up-to-date as updates are released by Google.
    hi all, I've updated the dialer zip to the latest version 8 as updated by google.
    all credit goes to the orginal dev @fadedout for his work.
    Google Phone 9.0 came out today: http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google...gle-phone-9-0-153787429-android-apk-download/

Last version came out in February.

Hi, I've updated the flashable zip to the latest dialer. Thanks for the tip.

What's the birthday function? I don't think so.

Google Dialer is very similar to the stock OP3 dialer except it has the following additional settings menus:

• Call blocking (calls from these numbers will be blocked and voicemails will be automatically deleted)
    • Caller ID & spam (show useful information when you make or receive a call, such as name for a number not in your contacts or a warning when an incoming call is suspected to be spam)
    • Nearby places (when you search from the phone app, this feature will use your location to find nearby places that match your query)

Can you flash it on a non rooted phone? If so how

You don't need root, but you do need a custom recovery. For more information, see steps 1 and 2 of http://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3/how-to/oneplus-3-how-to-unlock-bootloader-t3398733. From there you just boot into recovery and "Install" the downloaded zip.
    Installed the app, but the app hangs simply with wait message, can't disable incallui. BTW many thanks for trying to help!
    It's needs root. I have flashed SuperSU and it takes long time to prompt for a SU request.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone