[Guide] How to install the official Oreo update!

Search This thread

ethanscooter

Jun 21, 2014
Somewhere out there.
NOTE: I am not responsible for anything that might happen to your device while doing this. (it most likely is not).

EDIT: RE-DOWNGRADING TO 7.1.1 IS POSSIBLE WITH THIS!

I noticed there was no clear tutorial on how to do this yet so I have decided to make a guide explaining how to install the Oreo update on the Moto Z. This should work on most unlocked models (excluding Verizon). I have tried this on my Moto Z RETUS and it is working fine. I believe you should also need an unlocked bootloader, I haven't tested it on a device with a locked bootloader. Please download all the files from the bottom of the post.

Run the following commands with fastboot to install this version of 7.1.1 (download below) (hold power + volume down to get into bootloader mode):
Code:
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
fastboot flash logo logo.bin
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.9
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.10
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.11
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.12
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.13
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.14
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.15
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.16
fastboot flash system system.img_sparsechunk.17
fastboot flash oem oem.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot erase clogo
fastboot reboot

Once the device reboots into 7.1.1, turn the device off, and hold power + volume down to get into the bootloader again, and keep pressing the volume up key until you can select recovery. Press the power button to boot into recovery and once in recovery, keep pressing power and volume up buttons (do not hold them) to access all the options. Once the options appear, use the volume down key to scroll down to "apply update from ADB".

Now, open a new command prompt window, and rename the "Blur_Version.27.11.58.griffin.retail.en.US.zip" file to "ota.zip". Run "adb sideload ota.zip", and it should sideload the oreo update.

Note: If you have any issues sideloading the OTA (example issue: * cannot read 'ota.zip' *) then download this and move the adb.exe and dlls to the same folder as the ota zip. This version of ADB should be able to sideload the zip without the "cannot read ota.zip" issue. In terminal, make sure to run "adb.exe sideload ota.zip" instead of just "adb".

Finally, use the volume keys to scroll down to "Wipe cache" and press the power button. Then scroll up to reboot and hit the power button again and you should be good!

------------------------------

All Downloads:

7.1.1: 7.1.1 Firmware Download

Flashtools zip: Moto Flashtools ADB / Fastboot Download

Oreo update: Download Blur_Version.27.11.58.griffin.retail.en.US.zip (Oreo)

Want to root Oreo? Follow this guide, should work for the normal Moto Z:
https://xdaforums.com/moto-z-play/how-to/guide-how-to-magisk-root-xposed-oreo-8-t3743273

Last edited:

Loverj

Jan 6, 2013
thanks.. I m install Oreo last week.. but thanks to you for complete guide for who faced error or they don't know how to sideload Oreo Ota ..

LitD

Sep 13, 2013
If applied on 7.1.1 Moto Z (RETEU), with TWRP, custom kernel and Magisk, but otherwise stock, will this method erase or preserve user data/apps/settings?
Is there a way to upgrade rooted stock 7.1.1 to Oreo without loosing data?

Kneize

Oct 5, 2014
Hey, @ethanscooter I have a question regarding applying update from adb part. I'm on stock reteu ROM/recovery. And when I boot into recovry two things happens
- adb doesn't see device (nor lsusb)
- I have no options like -- select apply update from adb, actually nothing except of droid on the screen.

Any suggestions?

kooocko

Feb 29, 2012
Try holding the power button, then shortly pressing volume up and then releasing both buttons.

Reactions: Kneize

laughingboy

Dec 23, 2010
Went smoothly. Anyone else having issues with Approach and Moto Display not working?,

I installed over my locked bootloader and it went well btw

I did a factory reset and everything is fine now.

I have a suspicion that Oreo + MotoApproach/MotoDisplay + Immersion Mode is broken.

Last edited:
Reactions: zulfikarirfan

ortan12

Mar 13, 2018
Please help!

I am trying to install an update, but I think it is stuck. On windows command prompt window there is:

and on the phone screen last message is:

It's like 15 minutes now. Is it normal? Should I wait more?

EDIT
OK, so It's normal. It is going further now.

in my case my phone shows
Finding update package...
opening update package...
Verifyng update package...
And in terminal in windows is not going more than 16%, please anyone can helpme?
i use this XT1650-03_GRIFFIN_RETUS_7.1.1_NPL26.118-20-5_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml
Its ok?
Sorry for my bad english
Edit: Its ok, i can install

Last edited:

ortan12

Mar 13, 2018
Anyone can root this version?

NOTE: I am not responsible for anything that might happen to your device while doing this. (it most likely is not).

I noticed there was no clear tutorial on how to do this yet so I have decided to make a guide explaining how to install the Oreo update on the Moto Z. This should work on most unlocked models (excluding Verizon). I have tried this on my Moto Z RETUS and it is working fine. I believe you should also need an unlocked bootloader, I haven't tested it on a device with a locked bootloader. Please download all the files from the bottom of the post.

Run the following commands with fastboot to install this version of 7.1.1 (download below) (hold power + volume down to get into bootloader mode):
Code:
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase customize
fastboot erase clogo
fastboot reboot

Once the device reboots into 7.1.1, turn the device off, and hold power + volume down to get into the bootloader again, and keep pressing the volume up key until you can select recovery. Press the power button to boot into recovery and once in recovery, keep pressing power and volume up buttons (do not hold them) to access all the options. Once the options appear, use the volume down key to scroll down to "apply update from ADB".

Now, open a new command prompt window, and rename the "Blur_Version.27.11.58.griffin.retail.en.US.zip" file to "ota.zip". Run "adb sideload ota.zip", and it should sideload the oreo update.

Note: If you have any issues sideloading the OTA (example issue: * cannot read 'ota.zip' *) then download this and move the adb.exe and dlls to the same folder as the ota zip. This version of ADB should be able to sideload the zip without the "cannot read ota.zip" issue. In terminal, make sure to run "adb.exe sideload ota.zip" instead of just "adb".

Finally, use the volume keys to scroll down to "Wipe cache" and press the power button. Then scroll up to reboot and hit the power button again and you should be good!

All Downloads:

https://xdaforums.com/moto-z-play/how-to/guide-how-to-magisk-root-xposed-oreo-8-t3743273

Can anyone root this version of android, i tried the metod in the description but is not working for me, i want to disable navbar and i need root, ¿can anyone please help me?

kethsawant

Nov 20, 2012
Mumbai
I am presently on erfan v4 stock rom 7.1 and when i try to downgrade to the stock os u have provide with all the fastboot command it boots in to 7.1 stock but every time i lost my imei no ...so have to install twrp and restored it from my backup..any solutions

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot reboot

All Downloads:

Using the first post of this topic I updated my unlocked Sheridan RETEU from OPL27.76-51 (March security patch) to the latest OPLS27.76-51-5 (May security patch).

I flashed the GRIFFIN_OPL27.76-51_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip and after reboot I installed the OTA "naturally" directly from the Motorola servers. If you do not receive the update notification, you can try to sideload the OTA archive.

The commands I used for re-flashing OPL27.76-51 are:
    Code:
    fastboot erase modemst1
    fastboot erase modemst2
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot erase userdata
    fastboot erase customize
    fastboot erase clogo
    fastboot reboot

Firmware file - GRIFFIN_OPL27.76-51_cid50_subsidy-DEFAULT_regulatory-DEFAULT_CFC.xml.zip
    OTA from OPL27.76-51 to OPLS27.76-51-5 (for adb sideload) - Blur_Version.27.211.6.griffin.retail.en.US.zip

Hope this information will help someone! :good:
    sorry my ignorance. Why it shouldn't work on Verizon's version?

Because the firmware is for the unlocked Moro Z not the Verizon Moto Z and the Verizon Moto Z has a locked boot loader.
    I re-flashed Oreo multiple times (OTA sideload before unlocking bootloader, couple of full firmware flash and one classic OTA directly from Motorola after unlock). The "channel" it's unchanged!