[Guide] How to Install TWRP & Root Essential PH-1(Method 2)

Search This thread

jhhoffma

Mar 17, 2008
I'm having an issue installing TWRP on my PH-1 with December update.

More accurately, I can install TWRP and use it fine. However, regardless of using DazeOne's TWRP/root img or flashing TWRP directly as in this post, I can't boot to system afterward. It just keeps rebooting to recovery/TWRP.

I've also tried doing October's BTS image and using DazeOne's TWRP/root img from there, but WiFI doesn't work afterward.

Any ideas on how to fix the first problem. I've tried the TWRP>Reboot>System commands, bootloader button presses, as well as adb commands to no avail!

MrStee97

Jun 27, 2014
That Place
Common Issues

Thanks to @starcms for helping with the instructions.

No touch in TWRP in Step 9.

Keep your phone connected to computer. Open command prompt/terminal/powershell.

Now we are going to install TWRP installer zip.

Command Pormpt

Code:
adb shell twrp install path/to/zip

So, let's say you have twrp installer zip (named
twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0.zip) in root of internal memory.

Code:
adb shell twrp install /sdcard/
twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0.zip

This should flash TWRP to both slots. Now, you can reboot using
Code:
adb reboot bootloader
and go back into TWRP. Check if touch is working and then set your slot to one noted in step 5.

If touch is not working use fastboot (step 8) to change the slot to that noted in Step 5..

Now boot back into TWRP using volume rockers and proceed to Step 10 (flashing Magisk zip)

Terminal/Powershell users please add ./ before the adb.
unfortunately for me, adb refused to find the twrp installer zip so that i could fix touch. HOWEVER, thanks to adb sideloading integrated into twrp, i sideloaded the installer and it went through fine, after which i followed the remaining steps as directed with no more issues! thanks for all the help!!!

---------- Post added at 10:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

Okay I'm on PH1-OTA-QP1A.191005.014 (Nov) and cannot get TWRP to work with touch after flashing via fastboot, nor can I figure out how to properly flash Magisk without a bootloop. Any help is appreciated.
see my post i just made, im on the latest update that just rolled out

GoldLink24

Jan 12, 2020
Android Q

Okay I'm on PH1-OTA-QP1A.191005.014 (Nov) and cannot get TWRP to work with touch after flashing via fastboot, nor can I figure out how to properly flash Magisk without a bootloop. Any help is appreciated.

This is a quick update for anyone on android Q.

1. Follow the instructions given in this post. The only caveat is that the TWRP linked no longer has touch capability on newer roms. Use this patched TWRP "htt://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603870371" (copy the main part of the URL. New user Restrictions)
2. Use the same twrp.zip linked and flash to both partitions (The screen will shift further to the left. It doesn't affect functionality though)
3. I got Magisk working after completing the installation of TWRP and setting up my rom. Simply download the Magisk apk from their website. Open it and select the option to download zip only. Simply boot back into TWRP and flash. You're done :D

Hope this helps:good:

thk_ms

Apr 23, 2009
Can' The see partitions,...

Hello everybody,

I bought an used Essential ph1 and I had unlocked it and put an actual LineageOS 16 on it.
Now I want to root it by using this tutorial.
I became stopped by the step of flash the twrp.zip witch should be on the phone.
I can't see the System Partition on my Desktop-PC 8Linux) and I can't see the Data-partition by TWRP. So I can't choose the twrp-zip to flash.

Can somebody help me?

Thank's, thk_ms

The Jack of Clubs

Jan 28, 2007
Houston
Man, I forgot how terrible this method is and how much TWRP needs an update. I started out the day by messing up flashing the OTA by forgetting to flash the twrp installer after. I reboot and google pay complains that its wiping my cards. I have to get twrp reinstalled, but the img doesnt have working touch so I cant put in my pattern so it cant decrypt. I have to boot back up (so many fastboot commands...) and turn off my lockscreen, which deletes my fingerprints. >_< Running twrp installer just causes it to reboot into the bootloader. I dont know why.

Anybody have a Feb 2020 boot.img with twrp installed that I can flash? Its the only thing I can think will work at the moment.

tguadagno

Nov 5, 2012
Man, I forgot how terrible this method is and how much TWRP needs an update. I started out the day by messing up flashing the OTA by forgetting to flash the twrp installer after. I reboot and google pay complains that its wiping my cards. I have to get twrp reinstalled, but the img doesnt have working touch so I cant put in my pattern so it cant decrypt. I have to boot back up (so many fastboot commands...) and turn off my lockscreen, which deletes my fingerprints. >_< Running twrp installer just causes it to reboot into the bootloader. I dont know why.

Anybody have a Feb 2020 boot.img with twrp installed that I can flash? Its the only thing I can think will work at the moment.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!....i am in the same boat!

ipdev

Feb 14, 2016

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!....i am in the same boat!
I can not get the default TWRP image to boot or a TWRP patched boot image (QQ1A.200105.032) to boot.

Magisk patched boot images will boot.

Not sure of you setup/configuration but, if you know what version is installed on which slot it will help.

Sorry all, this is going to turn into a long post. :eek:

To get you up and running:
Both January and February builds will boot from the February boot image. So you can flash the stock boot image from Feb. to both slots and you will boot into system (rom).
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img and fastboot flash boot_b boot.img

To determine what slot you are on, can change slightly using fastboot but, adb should be the same. Hopefully the device booted into system (rom), you can use a terminal app or adb to find out what you need to know.
getprop ro.boot.slot_suffix
getprop ro.build.version.security_patch

Using adb, I'm going to cheat and use grep to shorten the commands.
adb shell getprop | grep slot and adb shell getprop | grep patch

Code:
adb shell getprop | grep slot
[ro.boot.slot_suffix]: [_a]

adb shell getprop | grep patch
[ro.build.version.security_patch]: [2020-01-05]
[ro.vendor.build.security_patch]: []
-- Quick reboot to bootloader and set_active b --
Code:
adb shell getprop | grep slot
[ro.boot.slot_suffix]: [_b]
adb shell getprop | grep patch
[ro.build.version.security_patch]: [2020-02-05]
[ro.vendor.build.security_patch]: [2020-02-05]
Odd. I'm curious about the vendor update now ?

Truncate.
(Left for reference.)

So, I'm running January on slot a and February on slot b.
I can still boot into (TWRP) recovery on a patched January image on slot a but, not on February slot b. I tested this earlier before I tested booting January with February's boot.img

Truncate.
Left for reference. Using dd to dump partitions is documented elsewhere.

Code:
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/sde11 of=/sdcard/PH1-boot_a.img
adb shell dd if=/dev/block/sde28 of=/sdcard/PH1-boot_b.img

It's late for me, hopefully it helps you guys out.

I use adb and fastboot from.
SDK Platform Tools developer.android - Link

Truncate.
Left for reference.

For me the fastboot commands are
Code:
fastboot getvar current-slot
fastboot set_active a
fastboot set_active b
fastboot flash boot_a NameOfFile.img
fastboot flash boot_b NameOfFile.img

I uploaded the current set of file I use here.
PH-1 MediaFire - Link
I'll add the stock factory images later.
All credit to those who own them.

Note:
I use this device for testing and learning.
Not a daily use, mostly testing with custom roms and configurations.

Cheers all. :cowboy:

mesh66

Feb 22, 2020
Hi there
I have a problem that I cannot install twrp.
I have unlocked the boot loader and have tried the commands: fastboot devices -check!
fastboot getvar current-slot after calling the command several times I get this message: current-slot: _b
Then: fastboot flash boot_a twrp-mata.img - that does not work the cursor remains standing.

What am I doing wrong???

I also tried this, after the command: fastboot getvar current-slot this: fastboot --set-active = _a -check
Then I entered the following command: fastboot flash boot twrp-mata.img
Then the following message appears:
target didn't report max-download-size
sending 'boot' (48712 KB) ...
FAILED (remote: Requested download size is more than max allowed
)
finished. total time: 0.003s

Whats going on here???

Last edited:

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
Hi there
I have unlocked the boot loader and have tried the commands: fastboot devices -check!
fastboot getvar current-slot after calling the command several times I get this message: current-slot: _b
Then: fastboot flash boot_a twrp-mata.img - that does not work the cursor remains standing.

What am I doing wrong???

I also tried this, after the command: fastboot getvar current-slot this: fastboot --set-active = _a -check
)

Whats going on here???

If you have Feb update then TWRP doesn't work well with it.
Roll back to Jan

sga999

Mar 13, 2012
Hi there

What am I doing wrong???

)

Whats going on here???
I'm not sure if this will help. But I have two of these essential phones, both from eBay, so they had been used, but seemingly in okay condition. I had some problems with the first one failing doing fastboot commands now and then. But generally, it worked pretty well. But with the second one, I had quite a tough time! I did get your error about max download size now and then. I'm pretty sure that rebooting my computer somehow fixed that.

However, the more major problem was that flashing an image file failed lots! And there was not a meaningful error message given. "Smaller" image files would work, but larger ones would not. It turned out that I had to hold down power and volume down for maybe 20 seconds, and it would go into fastboot mode.. again. Then the fastboot command to flash a larger file would work. You are probably not going to encounter this problem. I think the second phone just must be a defective device. But once I get everything flashed, it seems to be working well. Very strange.

Reactions: IronRoo

rignfool

Dec 8, 2010
The Poconos
Hi there

What am I doing wrong???

)

Whats going on here???
Just keep beating on it ...

And reboot the phone and the computer...

Effin Mata is a finiky pain in the butt

Reactions: IronRoo

yuanbq

Feb 27, 2020
I am trying to install TWRP on my Essential phone and encounter this weird issue:
My system is running on slot B, so I flash recovery img file to slot A and successfully get into recovery.
Then I install TWRP zip file in recovery and successfully install it on both slots.
After that, I reboot to slot b and try to get into recovery again, but it just stuck in fastboot.
Switch to slot A, get into recovery, reboot to slot B from recovery, stuck in fastboot, again.
I try to flash recovery img file directly to slot B, still stuck in fastboot.

So now I end up with a working recovery on slot A with NO system, and NO recovery in slot B with my system on it which I was stuck in fastboot.

I ran through a lot of tutorials and done a ton of searching, didn't find a solution to my problem.

Please help!

Last edited:

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
I am trying to install TWRP on my Essential phone and encounter this weird issue:
My system is running on slot B, so I flash recovery img file to slot A and successfully get into recovery.
Then I install TWRP zip file in recovery and successfully install it on both slots.
After that, I reboot to slot b and try to get into recovery again, but it just stuck in fastboot.
Switch to slot A, get into recovery, reboot to slot B from recovery, stuck in fastboot, again.
I try to flash recovery img file directly to slot B, still stuck in fastboot.

So now I end up with a working recovery on slot A with NO system, and NO recovery in slot B with my system on it which I was stuck in fastboot.

I ran through a lot of tutorials and done a ton of searching, didn't find a solution to my problem.

Please help!
Lots of ppl with Feb update have similar problem.
Go back to Jan and you will be ok.

lynnux

Jun 4, 2013
Thanks for your reply! But what is ppl and how can I get back to Jan. :crying: Sorry this is my first time using TWRP.
ppl = people

One simple way to get back to Jan that might work - download Jan OTA (zip) from Essential website, transfer to phone, and flash zip in twrp.

Yes, twrp isn't behaving well in Feb update.

yuanbq

Feb 27, 2020
ppl = people

One simple way to get back to Jan that might work - download Jan OTA (zip) from Essential website, transfer to phone, and flash zip in twrp.

I try Jan OTA and it works!Thank you!

---------- Post added at 04:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

Lots of ppl with Feb update have similar problem.
Go back to Jan and you will be ok.

I try Jan OTA and it works!Thank you!

garfnodie

Apr 2, 2008
Columbia, TN, USA
ppl = people

I flashed back to Jan OTA, followed all instructions all the way to installing Magisk, I still don't have touch in TWRP though. I can live without touch though so long as I can do what I need using ABD while booted into TWRP, I just want to make sure that I should still be able to flash Lineage now.

edit: so upon further investigation, I have no touch anywhere, not in TWRP, not in Android, nowhere. I just want to get everything back to bone stock and start over, not sure how to do that though.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Install TWRP Recovery & Root Essential PH-1 (Windows/Mac/Linux)

This is an alternate method on how install TWRP. This one might give you a better understanding of slots.
    Another method can be found at below link. Use whatever is easier for you.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/essential-phone/how-to/guide-rooting-essential-ph-1-magisk-t3701976

Warning 1: If you can't do fastboot commands, do a flash all, root your device or flash TWRP/ROM, please do not ask for help here. If you cannot flash all back to stock, please stay stock for everyone's sake.

Warning 2: You might loose all your data. Make sure to backup your data.

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Pre-Requisites
    Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader.
    Download and Install drivers (Windows) :- https://storage.googleapis.com/essential-static/Essential-PH1-WindowsDrivers.exe
    Make sure to remove pin/password/pattern etc. Even though TWRP support decryption I personally suggest you remove it and can add it back later.
    Make sure you are stock. If you are rooted, please install stock boot.img.

How to Boot into fastboot/bootloader mode

1. Reboot phone, and keep volume down pressed while device is rebooting until you see bootloader mode screen.
    2. While phone is off, press volume down and then press power button. Keep holding both until you see bootloader mode screen.

How to Install

Steps
    1. Download all the files listed in downloads section and place them inside one folder say ph-1.

2. Unzip fastboot and adb zip file (platform-tools). Rename twrp image file to twrp-mata.img. move twrp img file to platform-tools folder.

3. Connect phone to computer and copy below files to internal memory.

* TWRP Installer Zip
    * Magisk Zip

Reboot device into bootloader mode.

4. Using command prompt/terminal navigate to folder where fastboot is.

Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot devices

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot devices

Make sure device is detected in fastboot mode.

5. Find current slot. Note this down some where.

Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot getvar current-slot

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot getvar current-slot

6. If you get current slot as

* A - we will flash twrp to slot B
    * B - we will flash twrp to slot A

7. Flash TWRP to slot opposite of what we found out in Step 5.

Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_slot twrp-mata.img

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot flash boot_slot twrp-mata.img

So, if your current slot was a, you will use boot_b above. If current slot was b, you will use boot_a above.

8. Set slot where we flashed TWRP as active.
    Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot --set-active=slot

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot --set-active=slot

So, if your current slot was a, you will use --set-active=b above. If current slot was b, you will use --set-active=a above.

9. Use volume rockers till you see recovery option. Then press power button to select. You should now boot into TWRP.

If the touchscreen doesn't function, skip to instructions in post 2 below.

Now, flash TWRP installer zip file.
    Once zip is flashed and has patched both slots. Go back to home screen.
    Reboot.
    On this screen select the slot which we had noted down in step 5.
    Then reboot into system. You should now boot into Android.

10. To root. Boot back into bootloader mode. Go into TWRP recovery. Flash magisk zip. reboot.

Support :

1) Search. Search, search, search. If you make the effort of reading atleast 5 pages back, most if not all your questions will be answered. I personally, will ignore any questions, if I know they have been answered in the last 5 pages. Not being rude, but please read.
    2) If you can't find answers in last 5 pages, ask here, be respectful and have a good time.

Video Guide

Downloads :
    Latest ADB & Fastboot Zip File :- https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    TWRP for Essential Phone (need both .img and zip file) :- https://forum.xda-developers.com/es...official-twrp-3-2-3-0-essential-ph-1-t3840931
    Magisk :- https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
    Going Back to Stock :- https://forum.xda-developers.com/essential-phone/development/stock-7-1-1-nmj20d-t3701681
    If you flashed September Android 9.0 Pie Back to Stock (BTS) it flashes to both slots. In that case, if touch is not working please refer post 2.

Credits
    @Dees_Troy for TWRP
    @aer0zer0 for back to stock (BTS)
    @topjohnwu for Magisk
    @munchy_cool for this guide ;)
    reserved

Common Issues

Thanks to @starcms for helping with the instructions.

No touch in TWRP in Step 9.

Keep your phone connected to computer. Open command prompt/terminal/powershell.

Now we are going to install TWRP installer zip.

Command Pormpt

Code:
    adb shell twrp install path/to/zip

So, let's say you have twrp installer zip (named
    twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0.zip) in root of internal memory.

Code:
    adb shell twrp install /sdcard/
    twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0.zip

This should flash TWRP to both slots. Now, you can reboot using
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    and go back into TWRP. Check if touch is working and then set your slot to one noted in step 5.

If touch is not working use fastboot (step 8) to change the slot to that noted in Step 5..

Now boot back into TWRP using volume rockers and proceed to Step 10 (flashing Magisk zip)

Terminal/Powershell users please add ./ before the adb.
    Nice write-up. I would also maybe add (to your discretion ofc) that if you flash the latest P BTS, it flashes to both slots, making touch unusable in twrp and will need to follow your addendum.
    the instructions in post 2 do mention to change slot to that noted in step 5.

Yes, but they say to do it via the touchscreen in TWRP. If the touchscreen wasn't working in the inactive slot with TWRP.img, it still will not be working after flashing TWRP.zip (via the adb command). Therefore it is not possible to boot into TWRP, click reboot, and click to switch to the active slot as currently stated. The switch back to the original slot as stated in step 5 must be done using the fastboot command in step 8.

The instructions in post 2 end with "and go back into TWRP. Check if touch is working and then set your slot to one noted in step 5. " The touchscreen won't be working yet, not until the system is first switched back to the slot noted in step 5 using the fastboot command in step 8.

I hope I'm being clear and you understand where I'm coming from now. I'm just trying to help make the instructions 100% clear and correct. That one thing is the only little mistake, but it could throw people unfamiliar with the process for a loop.
    yeah, I was talking about taking the OTA from Essential and not sideloading from TWRP.

I have not tried sideloading from TWRP so I cannot comment on that.

Works like a charm actually. Super convenient.

Flash ota in twrp
    Flash twrp zip (you have to patch new boot.img)
    Reboot to recovery on new side
    Flash magisk and or custom kernel
    Reboot to new OS
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone