[Guide] How to Install TWRP & Root Essential PH-1(Method 2)

Search This thread

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
I flashed back to Jan OTA, followed all instructions all the way to installing Magisk, I still don't have touch in TWRP though. I can live without touch though so long as I can do what I need using ABD while booted into TWRP, I just want to make sure that I should still be able to flash Lineage now.

edit: so upon further investigation, I have no touch anywhere, not in TWRP, not in Android, nowhere. I just want to get everything back to bone stock and start over, not sure how to do that though.
TWRP without touch is known issue.
To install Lineage OS, you should follow instruction from Lineage OS (using sideload)
here's the link....https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/mata/install

Reactions: garfnodie

seungbaekm

Aug 24, 2011
Works! Thanks!

So I wanted to share something with everyone STILL having issues with the essential phone twrp... Let's make it simple k..

Download October's official build from here

https://www.essential.com/developer/current-builds

Now.. download this boot.img from here..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TkdByZvhCQWCaoskOIHXLuTKb3EQfRww/view

Next.. extract the OFFICIAL firmware and remove the boot.img that comes with it and replace it with the one that you downloaded..

Fastboot back to stock with the new boot.img once your at the last step (erase user data) don't flash it just fastboot reboot.

When your all booted up back to stock boot into bootloader then go to recovery and Wala! Working TWRP! Flash away! Remember to put the twrp installer on your phone for when flashing ROMs.

My PH1 had the lastest Stock firmware (Feb 2020). I tried to fix the TWRP touch issue, but nothing worked.

Replaced the boot.img file and roll back to Oct stock, and then boot into recovery. TWRP still exist and touch works!
Thanks.

thk_ms

Apr 23, 2009
Hello everybody,

I'm now able to execute the working list of page 1. i think, I do no mistake in order of the workinglist. But after installing the magisrk.zip and rebooting into LineageOS the operating system starts until I can unlock the screen by wipe. After wiping into the LineageOS-Screen the phone gets in a loop with the statement "Smartphone is starting..."

I'm at a loss - whats the mistake?

Thanks a lot, thk_ms

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
Hello everybody,

I'm now able to execute the working list of page 1. i think, I do no mistake in order of the workinglist. But after installing the magisrk.zip and rebooting into LineageOS the operating system starts until I can unlock the screen by wipe. After wiping into the LineageOS-Screen the phone gets in a loop with the statement "Smartphone is starting..."

I'm at a loss - whats the mistake?

Thanks a lot, thk_ms

If you still need help how to install LineageOS, please post your question in Lineage OS subject (I just got my phone install LOS successfully)
This place is for TWRP installation and Root

thk_ms

Apr 23, 2009
hello und good morning,

no, I installed LOS sucessfully. The phone is unlocked too. I have the discribed problem in the root-process. After installing the magisk.zip via TWRP the LOS is in loop, correspondending my describltion, above.

Thanks, thk_ms

thk_ms

Apr 23, 2009
Hello again,

maybe I need first a basic-information. In this thread I read in many post ablout the "december-recovery" or the "januar-recovery". It means new versions of twrp? To Download twrp I only know this side: https://eu.dl.twrp.me/mata/

Whats going wrong to me and can this detail be a solution for me?
many Thanks, thk_ms

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
Hello again,

maybe I need first a basic-information. In this thread I read in many post ablout the "december-recovery" or the "januar-recovery". It means new versions of twrp? To Download twrp I only know this side: https://eu.dl.twrp.me/mata/

Whats going wrong to me and can this detail be a solution for me?
many Thanks, thk_ms
I downloaded TWRP files at the same site you have.
And here's what I did:
1. Backup data and flash the phone back to stock Pie level (because LineageOS 16 is Pie)
2. Enable USB Debugger (in Development Options)
3. Download and copy these files to internal storage (Download folder in phone) : LineageOS rom .zip, Gapps .zip, TWRP .zip (this is installer file not boot image file), and Magisk .zip
4. Download TWRP .img (boot image file) to your PC
5. Connect your phone to PC and reboot to bootloader (adb reboot bootloader)
6. User fastboot to flash TWRP .img file (fastboot -i 0x2e17 flash boot TWRP.img)
7. Goto TWRP Recovery mode (at this time you have not touch, you need OTG dongle and USB mouse to operate)
8. In TWRP Recovery, wipe System, Data, and Dalvik (do not wipe internal storage, you files are in there)
9. Install LineageOS ROM
10. Install TWRP installer (.zip file)
11. Reboot back to TWRP Recovery (important step - and now you should have touch in TWRP)
12. Install Gapps.zip (if you like to have Gapps)
13. Reboot the phone and it should be boot normal
14. Now put the phone back to TWRP Recovery mode and flash Magisk.zip
15. Reboot and check Magisk manager is fully operated.
I successfully did my phone this way. And I hope you'll get the same.
Good luck.

Reactions: IronRoo

thk_ms

Apr 23, 2009
Hello,

thank you for your replay. I understand, that your main massega is, that you start from a the stock-ROM and you doesn't change the a/b slot, right?

I will try. :)

Thanks, thk_ms

Osama12340

Jul 16, 2016
I am having the no touch problem, and am trying to follow the steps in the comments. I get the message: "Failed to map file '/sdcard/'"

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
I am having the no touch problem, and am trying to follow the steps in the comments. I get the message: "Failed to map file '/sdcard/'"
After which step did you get that error message?
And I hope you didn't forget to copy all those zip file to your phone before process or you didn't wipe internal storage.

Osama12340

Jul 16, 2016
After which step did you get that error message?
And I hope you didn't forget to copy all those zip file to your phone before process or you didn't wipe internal storage.

It was the step of flashing the zip file while on TWRP recovery but no working touch. I had files moved over before starting. I tried to flash TWRP img to both a and b, but it only boots on b. Also letting it do a normal boot always brings it to TWRP and I can't access the internal storage to see anything

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
It was the step of flashing the zip file while on TWRP recovery but no working touch. I had files moved over before starting. I tried to flash TWRP img to both a and b, but it only boots on b. Also letting it do a normal boot always brings it to TWRP and I can't access the internal storage to see anything
No, you shouldn't flash TWRP img to a and b, the command (flash -i 0x2e17 flash boot TWRP.img) will taking care what slot itself
I had the problem with flash to a and b before. If you want, let re-try and see, just do exactly the sequence that I posted.
Also, to confirm, we're talking about Essential Ph-1 phone here, right? if you have different phone, then I'm not quite sure it works.

Osama12340

Jul 16, 2016
No, you shouldn't flash TWRP img to a and b, the command (flash -i 0x2e17 flash boot TWRP.img) will taking care what slot itself
I had the problem with flash to a and b before. If you want, let re-try and see, just do exactly the sequence that I posted.
Also, to confirm, we're talking about Essential Ph-1 phone here, right? if you have different phone, then I'm not quite sure it works.

Yes it is the essential PH1. the phone no longer seems to want to co operate with fastboot commands even though it is showing up as a fastboot device. adb commands once in twrp recovery seem to work, but it cant find any files I put on it. Twrp touch isnt working so i tried to follow the steps in the first comment, which is where I am running into the problem. I also tried to flash an oem update back onto it, but it isnt flashing either as the fastboot commands get stuck forever

chanh2018

Jan 19, 2018
Yes it is the essential PH1. the phone no longer seems to want to co operate with fastboot commands even though it is showing up as a fastboot device. adb commands once in twrp recovery seem to work, but it cant find any files I put on it. Twrp touch isnt working so i tried to follow the steps in the first comment, which is where I am running into the problem. I also tried to flash an oem update back onto it, but it isnt flashing either as the fastboot commands get stuck forever
My recommendation is you go back to stock Pie.
If boot loader is still unlocked, and "fastboot devices -i 0x2e17" shows phone connects to computer, then you can download stock Pie from Essential official site and issue command "flashall" in command prompt.
(I used to edit flashall.bat and add "fastboot -w" at very beginning to wipe everything)
Hope you can recover the fastboot function and then restart the whole process again.

thk_ms

Apr 23, 2009
Hello,

thank you for your replay. I understand, that your main massega is, that you start from a the stock-ROM and you doesn't change the a/b slot, right?

I will try. :)

Thanks, thk_ms

hello, hello,

with your instruction i was able to root my essential ph1. *great*

Only the original-TWRP-version didn't run with the OTR an USB-mouse. I helped myself at this step with another twrp-version (with touch). It works!

Many, many thanks, thk_ms

atrixgca

Mar 18, 2020
Stuck on fastboot flashing of twrp img.

Hey gang,
I'm having trouble once I submit the "fastboot flash boot_a twrp-mata.img" command. I'm getting a "Sending 'boot_a'" message but then it just hangs (I've waited for more than 10 min with no result). I've attached my log here. Can someone please help? Thanks!

3a2D6ky

Osama12340

Jul 16, 2016
My recommendation is you go back to stock Pie.
If boot loader is still unlocked, and "fastboot devices -i 0x2e17" shows phone connects to computer, then you can download stock Pie from Essential official site and issue command "flashall" in command prompt.
(I used to edit flashall.bat and add "fastboot -w" at very beginning to wipe everything)
Hope you can recover the fastboot function and then restart the whole process again.

Sorry this is a bit late, but i needed android 10 to install the rom I wanted, which includes the touch problem. The solution i found was this:
While on the twrp screen, in fastboot and adb shell, enter: adb shell twrp sideload

then, have the twrp recovery zip file in the adb folder and enter: adb sideload twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0.zip

After, use: adb reboot bootloader

on bootloader screen, type: fastboot --set-active=slot
("slot" being the one you are not on.)

Then go back into recovery mode, where twrp should have working touch and then flash the twrp zip again in the phone with the touch now working
I hope this helps

Reactions: IronRoo

Edgehead123

Jun 4, 2015
Montreal
"This is a quick update for anyone on android Q.

1. Follow the instructions given in this post. The only caveat is that the TWRP linked no longer has touch capability on newer roms. Use this patched TWRP "htt://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11410963190603870371" (copy the main part of the URL. New user Restrictions)
2. Use the same twrp.zip linked and flash to both partitions (The screen will shift further to the left. It doesn't affect functionality though)
3. I got Magisk working after completing the installation of TWRP and setting up my rom. Simply download the Magisk apk from their website. Open it and select the option to download zip only. Simply boot back into TWRP and flash. You're done

Hope this helps"

this + original instructions got TWRP touch working for me.
i seemed to install the TWRP.zip successfully using the touchscreen
if i follow the instructions and switch back into my original slot, then restarting to system brings me twrp
if I disobey and do not switch back, then restarting to system brings me to the fastboot menu
*sobs

Last edited:

Edgehead123

Jun 4, 2015
Montreal
I tried with January 2020 android 10 stock image. (fastboot)
I used the official twrp image and .zip from the official XDA page
Even though command prompt says the image successfully installs, and even thought I can switch to the slot the image installed on: when I press power to boot into recovery, I am brought back to the boot loader menu.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    How to Install TWRP Recovery & Root Essential PH-1 (Windows/Mac/Linux)

This is an alternate method on how install TWRP. This one might give you a better understanding of slots.
    Another method can be found at below link. Use whatever is easier for you.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/essential-phone/how-to/guide-rooting-essential-ph-1-magisk-t3701976

Warning 1: If you can't do fastboot commands, do a flash all, root your device or flash TWRP/ROM, please do not ask for help here. If you cannot flash all back to stock, please stay stock for everyone's sake.

Warning 2: You might loose all your data. Make sure to backup your data.

Code:
    /*
     * Your warranty is now void.
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
     * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
     * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
     * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
     * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
     */

Pre-Requisites
    Make sure you have unlocked the bootloader.
    Download and Install drivers (Windows) :- https://storage.googleapis.com/essential-static/Essential-PH1-WindowsDrivers.exe
    Make sure to remove pin/password/pattern etc. Even though TWRP support decryption I personally suggest you remove it and can add it back later.
    Make sure you are stock. If you are rooted, please install stock boot.img.

How to Boot into fastboot/bootloader mode

1. Reboot phone, and keep volume down pressed while device is rebooting until you see bootloader mode screen.
    2. While phone is off, press volume down and then press power button. Keep holding both until you see bootloader mode screen.

How to Install

Steps
    1. Download all the files listed in downloads section and place them inside one folder say ph-1.

2. Unzip fastboot and adb zip file (platform-tools). Rename twrp image file to twrp-mata.img. move twrp img file to platform-tools folder.

3. Connect phone to computer and copy below files to internal memory.

* TWRP Installer Zip
    * Magisk Zip

Reboot device into bootloader mode.

4. Using command prompt/terminal navigate to folder where fastboot is.

Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot devices

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot devices

Make sure device is detected in fastboot mode.

5. Find current slot. Note this down some where.

Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot getvar current-slot

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot getvar current-slot

6. If you get current slot as

* A - we will flash twrp to slot B
    * B - we will flash twrp to slot A

7. Flash TWRP to slot opposite of what we found out in Step 5.

Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot flash boot_slot twrp-mata.img

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot flash boot_slot twrp-mata.img

So, if your current slot was a, you will use boot_b above. If current slot was b, you will use boot_a above.

8. Set slot where we flashed TWRP as active.
    Command Prompt
    Code:
    fastboot --set-active=slot

Mac/Linux/Powershell
    Code:
    ./fastboot --set-active=slot

So, if your current slot was a, you will use --set-active=b above. If current slot was b, you will use --set-active=a above.

9. Use volume rockers till you see recovery option. Then press power button to select. You should now boot into TWRP.

If the touchscreen doesn't function, skip to instructions in post 2 below.

Now, flash TWRP installer zip file.
    Once zip is flashed and has patched both slots. Go back to home screen.
    Reboot.
    On this screen select the slot which we had noted down in step 5.
    Then reboot into system. You should now boot into Android.

10. To root. Boot back into bootloader mode. Go into TWRP recovery. Flash magisk zip. reboot.

Support :

1) Search. Search, search, search. If you make the effort of reading atleast 5 pages back, most if not all your questions will be answered. I personally, will ignore any questions, if I know they have been answered in the last 5 pages. Not being rude, but please read.
    2) If you can't find answers in last 5 pages, ask here, be respectful and have a good time.

Video Guide

Downloads :
    Latest ADB & Fastboot Zip File :- https://developer.android.com/studio/releases/platform-tools
    TWRP for Essential Phone (need both .img and zip file) :- https://forum.xda-developers.com/es...official-twrp-3-2-3-0-essential-ph-1-t3840931
    Magisk :- https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/official-magisk-v7-universal-systemless-t3473445
    Going Back to Stock :- https://forum.xda-developers.com/essential-phone/development/stock-7-1-1-nmj20d-t3701681
    If you flashed September Android 9.0 Pie Back to Stock (BTS) it flashes to both slots. In that case, if touch is not working please refer post 2.

Credits
    @Dees_Troy for TWRP
    @aer0zer0 for back to stock (BTS)
    @topjohnwu for Magisk
    @munchy_cool for this guide ;)
    reserved

Common Issues

Thanks to @starcms for helping with the instructions.

No touch in TWRP in Step 9.

Keep your phone connected to computer. Open command prompt/terminal/powershell.

Now we are going to install TWRP installer zip.

Command Pormpt

Code:
    adb shell twrp install path/to/zip

So, let's say you have twrp installer zip (named
    twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0.zip) in root of internal memory.

Code:
    adb shell twrp install /sdcard/
    twrp-installer-mata-3.2.3-0.zip

This should flash TWRP to both slots. Now, you can reboot using
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader
    and go back into TWRP. Check if touch is working and then set your slot to one noted in step 5.

If touch is not working use fastboot (step 8) to change the slot to that noted in Step 5..

Now boot back into TWRP using volume rockers and proceed to Step 10 (flashing Magisk zip)

Terminal/Powershell users please add ./ before the adb.
    Nice write-up. I would also maybe add (to your discretion ofc) that if you flash the latest P BTS, it flashes to both slots, making touch unusable in twrp and will need to follow your addendum.
    the instructions in post 2 do mention to change slot to that noted in step 5.

Yes, but they say to do it via the touchscreen in TWRP. If the touchscreen wasn't working in the inactive slot with TWRP.img, it still will not be working after flashing TWRP.zip (via the adb command). Therefore it is not possible to boot into TWRP, click reboot, and click to switch to the active slot as currently stated. The switch back to the original slot as stated in step 5 must be done using the fastboot command in step 8.

The instructions in post 2 end with "and go back into TWRP. Check if touch is working and then set your slot to one noted in step 5. " The touchscreen won't be working yet, not until the system is first switched back to the slot noted in step 5 using the fastboot command in step 8.

I hope I'm being clear and you understand where I'm coming from now. I'm just trying to help make the instructions 100% clear and correct. That one thing is the only little mistake, but it could throw people unfamiliar with the process for a loop.
    Hello,

how can I can update from 16.1 to 18.1 and recieved in pasing magisk? With sideload I get everytime a bootloop.

Many Thanks for answering, thk_ms
    Update from 16.1 is risky. I should start from fresh by going back to stock and sideload 18.1 and magisk.