[GUIDE] How To Install TWRP & Root Galaxy S8 After Oreo Update

Search This thread
Mar 21, 2015
did you manage to fix your problem? if yes please share how

Reinstalled CR7B, phone does boot into oreo, not rooted of course, so it wasn't bricked. Now in the middle of one week wait for OEM unlock to come back on.

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Reinstalled CR7B, phone does boot into oreo, not rooted of course, so it wasn't bricked. Now in the middle of one week wait for OEM unlock to come back on.

Just curious if anyone has successfully rooted Samsung Oreo for S8 and had root/twrp work through reboots and for several days? Ie. is it really even possible to have working, rooted oreo on S8?

Mar 21, 2015

---------- Post added at 01:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:15 AM ----------

Just curious if anyone has successfully rooted Samsung Oreo for S8 and had root/twrp work through reboots and for several days? Ie. is it really even possible to have working, rooted oreo on S8?

Udate. The one week period passed so I turned on OEM Unlock and installed twrp as per OP. Booted into twrp, formatted per instructions, flashed no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip and booted into Oreo. Didn't root yet as I wanted to take it one step at a time. Oreo seemed to be working fine, but rebooting now takes me back to the red message that only official software can be used and I can't boot Oreo and can't boot twrp. I can only boot into download again. So no-verity had no effect on this problem as far as I can tell.

The only other suggestion I've seen here is that when you install twrp and reformat, it resets the 1 week timer for OEM Unlock so maybe keeping the system at first boot into Oreo for one week, then turning OEM Unlock back on will allow the phone to be rebooted with twrp installed? This is the only remaining possibility I've seen.

I guess I'll reinstall CRB7, wait another week, and install twrp, wait a second week with Oreo booted after twrp installed without rebooting, then turn on OEM Unlock and see if that fixes it.

No one has responded yet that they have a rooted S8 in Oreo that works more through reboots and for more than a day. Has Samsung made it impossible? Are we chasing a pipe dream now?

vuoshino

Sep 27, 2009
roma
Udate. The one week period passed so I turned on OEM Unlock and installed twrp as per OP. Booted into twrp, formatted per instructions, flashed no-verity-opt-encrypt-6.0.zip and booted into Oreo. Didn't root yet as I wanted to take it one step at a time. Oreo seemed to be working fine, but rebooting now takes me back to the red message that only official software can be used and I can't boot Oreo and can't boot twrp. I can only boot into download again. So no-verity had no effect on this problem as far as I can tell.

The only other suggestion I've seen here is that when you install twrp and reformat, it resets the 1 week timer for OEM Unlock so maybe keeping the system at first boot into Oreo for one week, then turning OEM Unlock back on will allow the phone to be rebooted with twrp installed? This is the only remaining possibility I've seen.

I guess I'll reinstall CRB7, wait another week, and install twrp, wait a second week with Oreo booted after twrp installed without rebooting, then turn on OEM Unlock and see if that fixes it.

No one has responded yet that they have a rooted S8 in Oreo that works more through reboots and for more than a day. Has Samsung made it impossible? Are we chasing a pipe dream now?

This is the 3° days that i rooted my s8 without any reboot. I will update you in some days.

Reactions: DarkAntimatter

daibaron

Jan 9, 2008
I'm wondering if you people took the time to read the last 3 pages.
There are plenty of known issues... starting with TRWP.
Root by Chainfire is outdated and not supported anymore and no one is able to confirm if it's stable or not but is convenient to use with Xposed.
Root via Magisk seems OK but is not the best solution if you need Xposed stand alone version.
Exposed for Magisk is indeed required but i may significantly reduce the performance.

Mar 21, 2015
I'm wondering if you people took the time to read the last 3 pages.
There are plenty of known issues... starting with TRWP.
Root by Chainfire is outdated and not supported anymore and no one is able to confirm if it's stable or not but is convenient to use with Xposed.
Root via Magisk seems OK but is not the best solution if you need Xposed stand alone version.
Exposed for Magisk is indeed required but i may significantly reduce the performance.

I've read all pages of this thread and followed every suggestion I think, but if I've missed something, please let me know.

The problem is that once twrp is installed, after you wait a week for OEM Unlock to be available, it seems to reset the OEM Unlock time because it is not possible to boot Oreo, then reboot again (into either Oreo or twrp). You're limited to booting download. From download, can't install twrp, can only reinstall Oreo and start waiting another week. The second time I didn't even install any root yet, just twrp, and still had the same problem, so it's not an issue with Magisk or Chainfire.

Have you gotten past this? Do you have a rooted, stock, official release Oreo that you can reboot more than once into Oreo? If so, please share how you did this.

Thanks very much.

kamazaki

Sep 11, 2011
So the conclusion is no stable root so far, so we should left the pros to fix this rather then bricked our s8

daibaron

Jan 9, 2008
OEM Unlock and USB Debug is something you have to check when you're on Nougat before you start the update to Oreo.
If you succeed to install Oreo, you'll have other issues at the end.

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
Downgrade to Nougat then install TWRP

This problem has NOTHING to do with ODIN. This is simply Samsung putting OEM unlock 7-day delay on newer firmware just like Galaxy Note 8. BUT there is a simple solution to this, which I tested. If you don't see OEM Unlock option, then simply re-flash Android 7.0 Nougat firmware. THEN you will be able to easily flash TWRP and root. I just did this so I can root.

So:

1. Use ODIN and flash Nougat firmware
2. Install TWRP normally.
3. Use a custom Oreo ROM or a stock ROM you can install using TWRP to get Oreo.

Reactions: KTMNiko

alejobog

Nov 8, 2008
Bogota
This problem has NOTHING to do with ODIN. This is simply Samsung putting OEM unlock 7-day delay on newer firmware just like Galaxy Note 8. BUT there is a simple solution to this, which I tested. If you don't see OEM Unlock option, then simply re-flash Android 7.0 Nougat firmware. THEN you will be able to easily flash TWRP and root. I just did this so I can root.

So:

1. Use ODIN and flash Nougat firmware
2. Install TWRP normally.
3. Use a custom Oreo ROM or a stock ROM you can install using TWRP to get Oreo.

I did the same. but I add the flash with ODIN of the BANDABASE (CP ... ODIN), because when degrading Nougat it keeps the old baseband

Mar 21, 2015
I did the same. but I add the flash with ODIN of the BANDABASE (CP ... ODIN), because when degrading Nougat it keeps the old baseband

Goal is to have rooted stock Oreo.

If I understand this correctly, the process is to:
1. downgrade to N
2. install twrp and root N
3. from this, install the Oreo rom via twrp, not Odin

Is this correct? The installation of Oreo won't add a 1 week wait for OEM Unlock if Oreo is installed via twrp instead of Odin? This is good news if true.

Someone can confirm that they have done this and they have rooted, stock Oreo that can be rebooted, not just rooted Nougat?

alejobog

Nov 8, 2008
Bogota
Goal is to have rooted stock Oreo.

If I understand this correctly, the process is to:
1. downgrade to N
2. install twrp and root N
3. from this, install the Oreo rom via twrp, not Odin

Is this correct? The installation of Oreo won't add a 1 week wait for OEM Unlock if Oreo is installed via twrp instead of Odin? This is good news if true.

Someone can confirm that they have done this and they have rooted, stock Oreo that can be rebooted, not just rooted Nougat?

is correct, what happens is that when you degrade N ... the baseband stays in N, when installing an ORE ROM by TWRP THE OREO BASE BAND IS NOT UPDATED because the CustomRom ZIP DOES NOT INSTALL THE BASE BAND, that's why I say that an additional step is to install separately with ODIN ONLY THE OREO BASE BAND

zedomax

Mar 23, 2010
Daly City, CA
HighOnAndroid.com
I have found a better solution, simply flash any Nougat BL (the BL tar file) which is the bootloader, which won't check for 7-days. Then you can do as before and Oreo boots fine on Nougat bootloader. I don't think running on Nougat bootloader affects performance of the phone in any way. This way, you save time by flashing only Nougat BL and also you can keep running on Oreo firmware. But this is ONLY case if you already set OEM unlock off. If you didn't set it off, you will have to wait 7 days on Oreo OR reflash the whole Nougat firmware.

f00b4r4

Jul 23, 2016
I have the same situation.

Can you please explain better and more detailed how you solved?

yes: Hold "Volume down"+Power until your device goes black / reboot.
As fast as you can: now press and hold "Volume up"+Bixby+Power.
Device should boot into twrp and will be able to install it permanently.
If you are not fast enough, you will have to repeat the whole process, because twrp doesn't become permanent unless you boot directly into it.
At least that's what I understood. I'm not very experienced :)

Reactions: Giansi

cryzies

Oct 29, 2014
Here's my story:

On 7.0, got notification that Oreo is downloading, decided to make the plunge in case 8.0 prevented rooting
Enabled OEM Unlock
Downloaded latest TWRP https://dl.twrp.me/dream2qlte/
Used Odin 3.12.7
Did NOT hold down Bixby, Volume Down, Power
Got a screen that says I need to do a recovery
Attempted to enter recovery
Boot loop - "recovery is not seandroid enforcing"
After looking around, attempted the BL AQH file fix posted in 2017, didn't work
Attempted to locate firmware for AQK7 (what my S8+ was on before)
Paid $15 bucks to not download at 15kbs
Flashed AQK7 all 4 files
Success! No more boot loop
Booted up and said something about updating, figured it was still trying to install oreo
Skipped through all setup info and confirmed OEM was unlocked still
reboot, grabbed this thread's odin, used latest twrp
Flashed TWRP, bootloop again, same as above
Restored using same steps above
Verified I'm on Nougat 7.0, attempting again with only TWRP
===
Edit, still failed even from Nougat and using this thread's Odin
===
Edit2, updated to stock Oreo, flashed latest twrp with this thread's odin, boot looped

Last edited:

Bofahad

Nov 14, 2013
OnePlus 10 Pro
Guys i installed Oero without any problem then i unlocked the OEM then installed TWRP and rooted my s8 after that i installed Xposed and working well , problem is TWRP can not take or restore Backups that's why i flashed back to nougat then i restored my nougat backups .

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using XDA Labs

Top Liked Posts