[GUIDE] How to install Universal Naked Drivers

Search This thread

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
I have seen many questions asking how to install universal naked drivers. Last week I received (loan) a windows computer and had the same issues. I decided to provide the info to help others.

Note: These drivers do work properly for the TF300T even though they may not state that exactly. Also if your tablet identifies as a TF201 it will still work properly.

Note: If you are on windows 8 and having problems please see the bottom of this post #1 for help! This info was provided by prototype7 please give him a thanks.

First some info. Windows thinks it should make the choices about drivers and is designed to keep us from choosing something that might cause problems. We need to maintain control through the process if we are to succeed.

Here are the choices I had to use to change my drivers and a link to the drivers.

windows-start - in search type device manager and return
1.jpg

right click on the entry you wish to change the driver for
2.jpg

Update Driver Software

Browse my computer for driver software
3.jpg

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
4.jpg

Have Disk
5.jpg

Browse
7.jpg

choose the universal naked drivers directory
8.jpg

click on the proper inf file
9.jpg

windows says drivers not signed; install anyway
10.jpg

Windows 8
Note: The following info was kindly provided by prototype7. Please give him a thanks.

Originally Posted by prototype7
I was trying to install these using this guide on Windows 8, but was running into a problem with the drivers not being signed, so here's the solution:
Hit Start+X, select Command Prompt (Admin)
Type "shutdown -o -r -t 0" (without quotes) and hit enter
You'll get a screen with some options on it after a few seconds
Click Troubleshoot
Advanced Options
Windows Startup Settings
Restart
You'll get a menu of options to choose from
Press the number on your keyboard for "Disable driver signature enforcement"
Now you can follow the guide without any issues, reboot again after the drivers are installed and you'll be good to go.
using this method you don't have to uninstall your current driver
if you deviate at any step windows will refuse to allow this change
Good Luck!

Last edited:

Manox7

Feb 15, 2013
Hi,

first thanks for the thread (i believe it will help a lot of people)

I followed all the steps, but it still doesn't work...

I did a lot of research but i have not found the solution... When i use fastboot, it still "<waiting for device>".

Anyone have the same probleme ?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Fine it's my fault, the cmd line have to be with -i 0x0B05 option, without it, it doesn't work.

Last edited:
Reactions: tobdaryl

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Hi,

first thanks for the thread (i believe it will help a lot of people)

I followed all the steps, but it still doesn't work...

I did a lot of research but i have not found the solution... When i use fastboot, it still "<waiting for device>".

Anyone have the same probleme ?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Fine it's my fault, the cmd line have to be with -i 0x0B05 option, without it, it doesn't work.

Thanks!

I don't know why some tablets require the tablet designation and others don't. For that reason we suggest everyone use them. It is a code assigned by google that designates the manufacture of the unit. On linux we have to declare them to avoid a permissions error but we don't have to add drivers.

I'm glad you got everything sorted.

prototype7

Apr 16, 2012
New Hampshire
I was trying to install these using this guide on Windows 8, but was running into a problem with the drivers not being signed, so here's the solution:
Click Troubleshoot
Advanced Options
Windows Startup Settings
Restart
Now you can follow the guide without any issues, reboot again after the drivers are installed and you'll be good to go.

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Click Troubleshoot
Advanced Options
Windows Startup Settings
Restart

Thanks for the update info. If it is ok I'd like to quote your information in the first post for others who are on windows 8.

Reactions: prototype7
Apr 29, 2013
Perry, GA
Windows for x64

Thanks again, I'll put in the first post for others.

Hello. I am having problems getting ADB to open. I did everything you mentioned hoping that these new drivers would work, but at the end I got a message window with "Select Device" saying;

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

I am using a Droid Razr Maxx with CM 10 installed on Android version 4.2.2. I have tried everything to get ADB to open and nothing seems to work.

Thank you in advance for your time

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
Hello. I am having problems getting ADB to open. I did everything you mentioned hoping that these new drivers would work, but at the end I got a message window with "Select Device" saying;

"The folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device. If the folder contains a driver, make sure it is designed to work with Windows for x64-based systems.

I am using a Droid Razr Maxx with CM 10 installed on Android version 4.2.2. I have tried everything to get ADB to open and nothing seems to work.

Thank you in advance for your time

You have to actually select the file not just the directory. By only selecting the directory you give windows a choice. If windows has a choice it will always refuse to install.
Point windows to the android_winusb.inf file and it should install properly.

Reactions: nathanielhall929
Apr 29, 2013
Perry, GA
file selected still not working

You have to actually select the file not just the directory. By only selecting the directory you give windows a choice. If windows has a choice it will always refuse to install.
Point windows to the android_winusb.inf file and it should install properly.

I have tried multiple times to select the file android_winusb file there is no .inf next to it but the file type is setup information

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
I have tried multiple times to select the file android_winusb file there is no .inf next to it but the file type is setup information

That should be the proper file. In folder options there is probably a check in "Hide Known File Types". This will keep you from seeing certain extensions. Windows uses the inf extension for setup information.
Try the other inf file android_apxusb.inf and see if that will install. If you have already then I am lost.

Are you on windows 8? If so please see the topic Windows 8 at the bottom of the first post.

Apr 29, 2013
Perry, GA
Still nothing

That should be the proper file. In folder options there is probably a check in "Hide Known File Types". This will keep you from seeing certain extensions. Windows uses the inf extension for setup information.
Try the other inf file android_apxusb.inf and see if that will install. If you have already then I am lost.

Are you on windows 8? If so please see the topic Windows 8 at the bottom of the first post.

I have tried to select the android_apxusb file and I get the same message.

I am on Windows 7 x64

Also can you help me get a reply to this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257005

I posted it a while ago and no one has answered me. Maybe you can help me with this post.

tobdaryl

May 7, 2010
I have tried to select the android_apxusb file and I get the same message.

I am on Windows 7 x64

Also can you help me get a reply to this post: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2257005

I posted it a while ago and no one has answered me. Maybe you can help me with this post.

I'll do some research and reply on the other thread. Adb is working if you get your serial number with adb devices, adb kill-server, etc.
In windows drivers have to be installed to get anything from your tablet with adb. Drivers are not needed for Linux and Mac but are required for windows.
Before I forget to mention later you need to run cmd as administrator in windows to use adb but since you fail with a terminal on the unit it may be a structure issue with the command.

Apr 29, 2013
Perry, GA
how do I start ADB?

I'll do some research and reply on the other thread. Adb is working if you get your serial number with adb devices, adb kill-server, etc.
In windows drivers have to be installed to get anything from your tablet with adb. Drivers are not needed for Linux and Mac but are required for windows.
Before I forget to mention later you need to run cmd as administrator in windows to use adb but since you fail with a terminal on the unit it may be a structure issue with the command.

I changed the path to C: Android-SDK platform tools and when I ran cmd as an administrator all I typed was adb. Am I missing something here? I also tried adb.exe

arch.fadi

Nov 30, 2009

Thanks for ur great job
I have tf300t with replaced logicboard. -it was bricked
My os win8 64bit
I tried universal naked driver ..but no way
is their any reasons with the last bricked in this case...??
Sorry for the poor english

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have seen many questions asking how to install universal naked drivers. Last week I received (loan) a windows computer and had the same issues. I decided to provide the info to help others.

Note: These drivers do work properly for the TF300T even though they may not state that exactly. Also if your tablet identifies as a TF201 it will still work properly.

Note: If you are on windows 8 and having problems please see the bottom of this post #1 for help! This info was provided by prototype7 please give him a thanks.

First some info. Windows thinks it should make the choices about drivers and is designed to keep us from choosing something that might cause problems. We need to maintain control through the process if we are to succeed.

Here are the choices I had to use to change my drivers and a link to the drivers.

windows-start - in search type device manager and return
    1.jpg

right click on the entry you wish to change the driver for
    2.jpg

Update Driver Software

Browse my computer for driver software
    3.jpg

Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
    4.jpg

Have Disk
    5.jpg

Browse
    7.jpg

choose the universal naked drivers directory
    8.jpg

click on the proper inf file
    9.jpg

windows says drivers not signed; install anyway
    10.jpg

Windows 8
    Note: The following info was kindly provided by prototype7. Please give him a thanks.

Originally Posted by prototype7
    Click Troubleshoot
    Advanced Options
    Windows Startup Settings
    Restart
    using this method you don't have to uninstall your current driver
    if you deviate at any step windows will refuse to allow this change
    Good Luck!
    And this thread is now stickied ;)

MD
    Thanks for the update info. If it is ok I'd like to quote your information in the first post for others who are on windows 8.

Go ahead, it would make it easier to see. Glad I could help.
    Click Troubleshoot
    Advanced Options
    Windows Startup Settings
    Restart
    HELLO tobdaryl..
    Uusb debugging is turned on and i do all the step above..
    But i noticed when i connet to pc i had unknown device with yellow traingle not "Asus Eee Pad Slider ADB Interface" like pic number 2
    I had this case in attached pic ....Can u please see it And tell me which i select

The three drivers we want to install are "Asus Fastboot Interface", Asus Transformer ADB Interface", and Asus Transformer APX Interface".
    Since we don't know which the pc is looking for choose "Asus Fastboot Interface" and if you still have the triangle or it fails then next choose "Asus Transformer ADB Interface" and then last choose "Asus Transformer APX Interface".