• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to LINUX on Rooted TFP

Search This thread

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
First off, thanks to msullivan for providing the BackTrack 5.0 image!

I've made this as easy as possible. Not for novice users.

I chose backtrack as the image (instead of ubuntu) because i LOVE backtrack. I've used it as my main on-the-go linux for a while. Mainly because I hack all the wifi I'm around so i have a constant NET connection :D

This script requires ADB installed and ROOT!

Required Apps
Installation
  1. Download the image and attached scripts (BT5_Install.zip)
    http://www.ulozto.net/xfHz8JJ/primelinuxbacktrack5-zip
  2. Rename the image to BT5.zip and copy to /sdcard/ - I would copy in the script, but ADB is WAAAY slow.
  3. Unzip BT5_Install.zip into your ADB folder - Or anywhere if you have ADB set with environmental variables
  4. Make sure device connected and responds to adb (adb devices)
  5. run install.bat
    This will push the proper scripts, open the image up for use and run necessary scripts
    This process does take time. No longer than 10 minutes. Script will notify when complete.
    ---Linux is now installed!---
  6. Open terminal emulator and type: (do this any time you want to start your linux if you have shut it down or the TFP has restarted)
    • su
    • cd /sdcard/bt5
    • sh bt
  7. Type Y at the prompt
  8. VNC into 127.0.0.1:5901 with password 'root' with any VNC program you like
  9. PROFIT

Change Resolution!!
  1. Open terminal in Linux
  2. Type pico /usr/bin/startvnc
  3. Xhange resolution to 1280x800
  4. Type ctrl x
  5. Yes
  6. restart TFP
    Look absolutely AMAZING now

Notes:
  • If the bt5 folder on /sdcard/ is ever deleted, you will lose your linux and need to re-install!
  • This has been tested and confirmed by me!
  • Can you tell I like formatting?? hahaha
  • Need help with ADB? Click HERE for my guide!
  • Im using POCKETCLOUD in Windows mode (it connect to linux as well!)

The GUIDE is not finite. Please post anything you feel should be added/corrected to the guide.
Thanks and 5 star would make me feel good inside too!:D

Attachments

• BT5_Install.zip
    667 bytes · Views: 522
Last edited:

Bender B. Rodgriguez

Aug 15, 2011
Yes!!!!I was wondering when we would see this for the TP. I wonder how long it will be till somone asks about monitor mode and packet injection. Let me go ahead and announce it... AIRCRACK WILL NOT WORK!!! Had to do it.. every backtrack thread on this forums is full of kids saying "I can hax0rz wifi?"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
lol, i know, i wish.. it would only work if we could dual boot. that way, we could potentially have wifi aircrack support and all that!

foboi1122

Dec 6, 2011
anyone tried interfacing with any wifi adapters yet with either the dock or a USB ATP to USB adapter? it'd be pretty awesome to get monitor mode on this thing...

tbns

May 30, 2011
What's the difference in BT5 and the HD2 image I downloaded from the HD2 forums? Are they different versions of Ubuntu?

Oh yeah, and THANKS a ton for the install guide!

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
What's the difference in BT5 and the HD2 image I downloaded from the HD2 forums? Are they different versions of Ubuntu?

Oh yeah, and THANKS a ton for the install guide!

the BT5 image is different than any other linux image. there are several floating (mainly ubuntu). my scripts are only setup for bt5.

if i find a ubuntu image i like, i'll make one for that too

tbns

May 30, 2011
the BT5 image is different than any other linux image. there are several floating (mainly ubuntu). my scripts are only setup for bt5.

if i find a ubuntu image i like, i'll make one for that too

Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realize this was a different flavor of linux, not a different version of Ubuntu (guess I should have read the thread title). Cool, going to give it a shot.

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
it doesn't have to be on your sdcard

sdcard means internal memory

there is a removable category for a removabl sdcard.

just transfer the zip to your normal memory root directory

foboi1122

Dec 6, 2011
Ahh, gotcha. I didn't realize this was a different flavor of linux, not a different version of Ubuntu (guess I should have read the thread title). Cool, going to give it a shot.

Yea, bt5 is the security and exploitation flavor of Linux, ubuntu is more of the general purpose version

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk

Godswrath

Dec 30, 2011
Can someone try out LibreOffice and report back how smoothly it does/doesn't run? Will definitely root if LibreOffice runs well. Thanks!

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
to change resolution in BT5.. in linux

open terminal

type pico /usr/bin/startvnc

change resolution to 1280x800

ctrl x
yes
restart TFP

look absolutely AMAZING now

Danny-B-

May 6, 2005
Scotland
How does it run on the TFP ? is it responsive etc?
Can it be used as an everyday function? i'm really interested in this, and cant wait to get start messing about with it.

tbns

May 30, 2011
I've got BT5.zip on my sdcard directory, but I keep getting this error when I use the './install.bat' command:

OFF
Installing BackTrack 5 for ARM Devices.
./install.bat: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('
./install.bat: line 3: `ECHO Make sure BT5.zip is in your /sdcard/ folder (/sdcard/BT5.zip) NO' removable SD, internal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First off, thanks to msullivan for providing the BackTrack 5.0 image!

I've made this as easy as possible. Not for novice users.

I chose backtrack as the image (instead of ubuntu) because i LOVE backtrack. I've used it as my main on-the-go linux for a while. Mainly because I hack all the wifi I'm around so i have a constant NET connection :D

This script requires ADB installed and ROOT!

Required Apps
    Installation
    1. Download the image and attached scripts (BT5_Install.zip)
      http://www.ulozto.net/xfHz8JJ/primelinuxbacktrack5-zip
    2. Rename the image to BT5.zip and copy to /sdcard/ - I would copy in the script, but ADB is WAAAY slow.
    3. Unzip BT5_Install.zip into your ADB folder - Or anywhere if you have ADB set with environmental variables
    4. Make sure device connected and responds to adb (adb devices)
    5. run install.bat
      This will push the proper scripts, open the image up for use and run necessary scripts
      This process does take time. No longer than 10 minutes. Script will notify when complete.
      ---Linux is now installed!---
    6. Open terminal emulator and type: (do this any time you want to start your linux if you have shut it down or the TFP has restarted)
      • su
      • cd /sdcard/bt5
      • sh bt
    7. Type Y at the prompt
    8. VNC into 127.0.0.1:5901 with password 'root' with any VNC program you like
    9. PROFIT

Change Resolution!!
    1. Open terminal in Linux
    2. Type pico /usr/bin/startvnc
    3. Xhange resolution to 1280x800
    4. Type ctrl x
    5. Yes
    6. restart TFP
      Look absolutely AMAZING now

Notes:
    • If the bt5 folder on /sdcard/ is ever deleted, you will lose your linux and need to re-install!
    • This has been tested and confirmed by me!
    • Can you tell I like formatting?? hahaha
    • Need help with ADB? Click HERE for my guide!
    • Im using POCKETCLOUD in Windows mode (it connect to linux as well!)

The GUIDE is not finite. Please post anything you feel should be added/corrected to the guide.
    Thanks and 5 star would make me feel good inside too!:D
    Since megaupload is down, I made a torrent of the image.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/244489/BT5.zip.torrent

Web DL:
    www.binaryburrito.com/BT5.zip

Do not take up all my bandwidth :p

Edit:

Please only use the WebDL if you torrenting is blocked. My web DL is on half bandwidth already. My seedbox can still do 1 TB of bandwidth.
    screenshots of it running are different from a photo guide...

and yes that's me failing to remember that I started in root, not in /sdcard/....

Inevitble question. What happesn when we get ICS? Will we just have to reroot?

theoretically, yes!
    How does it run on the TFP ? is it responsive etc?
    Can it be used as an everyday function? i'm really interested in this, and cant wait to get start messing about with it.

Definitively usable/responsive
    It wont be perfect until we can dual boot, so full cpu/memory usage goes to it directly

I've got BT5.zip on my sdcard directory, but I keep getting this error when I use the './install.bat' command:

OFF
    Installing BackTrack 5 for ARM Devices.
    ./install.bat: line 3: syntax error near unexpected token `('
    ./install.bat: line 3: `ECHO Make sure BT5.zip is in your /sdcard/ folder (/sdcard/BT5.zip) NO' removable SD, internal.

since line 3 is an ECHO line, the syntax is fine unless you have a corrupt file. you running this on windows?