[Guide] How to Make Viper4Android work on Lollipop

Search This thread

donalberto17

Apr 14, 2014
Obregon
Some people can't make viper4android work on the new Lollipop update so I'm doing a simple guide:

Requirements:
-Root
-Busybox
-Custom recovery

Installation:
1.- Deactivate NuPlayer in developer options.
2.- Deactivate any other equalizer.
3.- Set selinux to permissive with an app like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.selinux&hl=en
4- Install through recovery the zip located below then reboot.
5.- Open viper4android and install the driver you want and then reboot.
6.- Done, enjoy high quality sound.

Last edited:

mannequin

Feb 7, 2011
New York
these are the only versions of audio_effects and audio_policy i found that work with streaming apps. can you elaborate a bit more about them where did you find them or maybe you have an idea what was modified in them in order for streaming audio to work? thanks!

Reactions: didhiy

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
these are the only versions of audio_effects and audio_policy i found that work with streaming apps. can you elaborate a bit more about them where did you find them or maybe you have an idea what was modified in them in order for streaming audio to work? thanks!
+1
I use those 2 files from the zip file to make v4a works for poweramp :D
My previous v4a installation only works on stock music & video player, now works for poweramp and mx player too.
Another note, disabling NUplayer not necessary for me...

Thanks again for this awesome guide :good:
Edit: I found using stock audio_policy.conf is possible to by remove this part:
Deep buffer
deep_buffer {
sampling_rates 44100|48000
channel_masks AUDIO_CHANNEL_OUT_STEREO
formats AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_16_BIT
devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ANLG_DOCK_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM_TX
flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DEEP_BUFFER
}

Note: removing compress offload not necessary, as stated in dorimanx lp kernel thread. So removing deep buffer part only is enough.

Attachments

• audio_policy.conf.zip
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,075
Last edited:

mannequin

Feb 7, 2011
New York
Edit: I found using stock audio_policy.conf is possible to by removing this 2 sections:

do you mean just by removing these 2 sections stock audio_policy and audio_effects can be used instead?

btw, these two .conf files from OP zip break screen casting functionality of chromecast so i'm wondering if your solution will work.

edit: i think it does!

Last edited:
Reactions: didhiy

masri1987

Jun 27, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
+1
My previous v4a installation only works on stock music & video player, now works for poweramp and mx player too.

Edit: I found using stock audio_policy.conf is possible to by removing this 2 sections:
1. Compress offload
compress_offload {
sampling_rates 8000|11025|12000|16000|22050|24000|32000|44100|48000|64000|88200|96000|176400|192000
formats AUDIO_FORMAT_MP3|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_OFFLOAD
devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE
flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NON_BLOCKING
}

2. Deep buffer
deep_buffer {
devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ALL_SCO|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_AUX_DIGITAL|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_PROXY|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_ANLG_DOCK_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_FM_TX
}

So, i've been having this huge problem on Nexus 7 2013 w\power amp and 5.1.1 cm12.1 and getting convolver and irs files to work properly.

two questions,
are your irs files working?
also, is the audio policy config on this thread flashable or pushable?

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
So, i've been having this huge problem on Nexus 7 2013 w\power amp and 5.1.1 cm12.1 and getting convolver and irs files to work properly.

two questions,
are your irs files working?
also, is the audio policy config on this thread flashable or pushable?
No problem with irs & convolver on my D802, both working normally. I don't know for other devices.

The file from op is flashable from recovery. You can try that.

Just for comparison, I use other methods, I installing v4a manually then install the drivers from the app. Imho audio effect config will change when v4a installing driver. Most useful part from this thread for me only the audio policy config :) that solve my problem make other apps like poweramp work with v4a. Then I found that audio policy config from D802 stock rom can be use too by removing 2 parts. I believe this solution is better because I only lost 2 features from stock rom, not as much as the policy config from op.

masri1987

Jun 27, 2010
Honolulu, Hawaii
No problem with irs & convolver on my D802, both working normally. I don't know for other devices.

The file from op is flashable from recovery. You can try that.

Just for comparison, I use other methods, I installing v4a manually then install the drivers from the app. Imho audio effect config will change when v4a installing driver. Most useful part from this thread for me only the audio policy config :) that solve my problem make other apps like poweramp work with v4a. Then I found that audio policy config from D802 stock rom can be use too by removing 2 parts. I believe this solution is better because I only lost 2 features from stock rom, not as much as the policy config from op.

Yeah, i flashed the file above and did everything properly, but IRS convolver files aren't exactly being 'used', not all irs files are working properly.

Should i be doing anything to the audio policy config file ? I use power amp too (although it did tell me it was processing under power amp),

IRS is crucial to me because i use my N7 2013 in my car as my in-dash.

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
Yeah, i flashed the file above and did everything properly, but IRS convolver files aren't exactly being 'used', not all irs files are working properly.

Should i be doing anything to the audio policy config file ? I use power amp too (although it did tell me it was processing under power amp),

IRS is crucial to me because i use my N7 2013 in my car as my in-dash.

I think that's unrelated to the audio policy config thing, this thread already prove the way v4a working for D802. Solved the major problem why v4a only works for stock music & video player.
I suggest you to ask in the v4a main thread or maybe ask the dev that creates your favorite irs that didn't work. I only use 2 irs files & both working normally.

mannequin

Feb 7, 2011
New York
this is kind of off topic but perhaps somebody is experiencing the same. i'm having a weird audio issue on LP which wasn't present on KK in any way and not V4A related.

no matter what the audio source is (playing mp3s or lossless, tons of EQ on or off, YouTube video, game, video, etc) there's a totally random, short sound corruption that sounds like garbled, sped up noise. it's impossible to trace any pattern when and why does it appear and perhaps it's related to radio since it tends to appear more when the signal is switching from Wi-Fi to cellular or cellular signal comes online, etc but not necessarily. i tried to look at the logs and don't see anything suspicious regarding sound there at all.

there's also a theory on other devices forums that Qualcomm's mpdecision is the cause since it always leaves only one core for the sound online and on LP apparently you need more. that doesn't seem right, however, since it does happen when the phone is doing a lot too and not just with the screen off.

any ideas are welcomed.

didhiy

Mar 29, 2011
Jakarta
this is kind of off topic but perhaps somebody is experiencing the same. i'm having a weird audio issue on LP which wasn't present on KK in any way and not V4A related.

no matter what the audio source is (playing mp3s or lossless, tons of EQ on or off, YouTube video, game, video, etc) there's a totally random, short sound corruption that sounds like garbled, sped up noise. it's impossible to trace any pattern when and why does it appear and perhaps it's related to radio since it tends to appear more when the signal is switching from Wi-Fi to cellular or cellular signal comes online, etc but not necessarily. i tried to look at the logs and don't see anything suspicious regarding sound there at all.

there's also a theory on other devices forums that Qualcomm's mpdecision is the cause since it always leaves only one core for the sound online and on LP apparently you need more. that doesn't seem right, however, since it does happen when the phone is doing a lot too and not just with the screen off.

any ideas are welcomed.
You can try if the theory was right or wrong by temporary disabling mpdecision. I think the setting is in /mpt/enable file. Change the value from 1 to 0, than compared the results. Don't forget to enable it again by changing the value on that file back to 1. If still no different, I guess the theory was invalid.

Radon7

Oct 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
doesnt work for me I flashed the zip and then got "viper 4 Android stopped working" on Start, now I cannot install it in the normal way. Every Reboot that "viper 4 Android stopped working" thing comes and idk what to do

+1

1. Compress offload
compress_offload {
sampling_rates 8000|11025|12000|16000|22050|24000|32000|44100|48000|64000|88200|96000|176400|192000
formats AUDIO_FORMAT_MP3|AUDIO_FORMAT_AAC|AUDIO_FORMAT_PCM_24_BIT_OFFLOAD
devices AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_EARPIECE|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_SPEAKER|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADSET|AUDIO_DEVICE_OUT_WIRED_HEADPHONE
flags AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_DIRECT|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_COMPRESS_OFFLOAD|AUDIO_OUTPUT_FLAG_NON_BLOCKING
}

2. Deep buffer
deep_buffer {
}

OMG! thanks.

gozzaa

Nov 22, 2010

any ideas are welcomed.

Iam having the exact same issue also convolver are not working.

mannequin

Feb 7, 2011
New York
Iam having the exact same issue also convolver are not working.
after much experimenting i can confirm that the only way to fix that issue is to always keep 2 or more CPU cores online, nothing else solves it at all.

with stock kernel the only option is to disable mpdecision and enable "multicore power saving" and "soc temperature throttle" for further heat control because without mpdecision you'll be keeping all 4 cores online.

Reactions: gozzaa

gozzaa

Nov 22, 2010
after much experimenting i can confirm that the only way to fix that issue is to always keep 2 or more CPU cores online, nothing else solves it at all.

with stock kernel the only option is to disable mpdecision and enable "multicore power saving" and "soc temperature throttle" for further heat control because without mpdecision you'll be keeping all 4 cores online.

Ah i will try that, Iam using dorimanx.
Did you get convolvers to work? They dont have any effect for me. Also the effect of viper4android is very small on lollipop. I can hear a difference but its nothing compared to kitkat

Last edited:

Manbot27

Mar 23, 2013
Did you get convolvers to work? They dont have any effect for me. Also the effect of viper4android is very small on lollipop. I can hear a difference but its nothing compared to kitkat
I had someone trouble getting convolvers to work as well. Converting viper to a user app with titanium uninstalling the driver then reconverting it to a system app worked for me.

Reactions: gozzaa

gozzaa

Nov 22, 2010
I had someone trouble getting convolvers to work as well. Converting viper to a user app with titanium uninstalling the driver then reconverting it to a system app worked for me.

after converting back to system app you install the drivers again or when its user app?

Edit: it worked! Iam using it as user app and its working flawless! Kudos to you

Last edited:

mannequin

Feb 7, 2011
New York
obviously using a custom kernel gives way more options to keep those 2 cores online in less destructive manner.

no problems with V4A here, everything works exactly like on KK. like mentioned above the key is to use it as a system app, modify selinux mode and edit audio policies files.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Some people can't make viper4android work on the new Lollipop update so I'm doing a simple guide:

Requirements:
    -Root
    -Busybox
    -Custom recovery

Installation:
    1.- Deactivate NuPlayer in developer options.
    2.- Deactivate any other equalizer.
    3.- Set selinux to permissive with an app like this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mrbimc.selinux&hl=en
    4- Install through recovery the zip located below then reboot.
    5.- Open viper4android and install the driver you want and then reboot.
    6.- Done, enjoy high quality sound.
    +1

Edit: I found using stock audio_policy.conf is possible to by remove this part:
    Deep buffer
    deep_buffer {
    }

Note: removing compress offload not necessary, as stated in dorimanx lp kernel thread. So removing deep buffer part only is enough.
    That's great but, I, like many others, don't visit anything but the AOSP threads/ AOSP development, therefore we would not encounter any of these guides. At worst, I wish the OP edited the title to "[Guide] How to Make Viper4Android work on Lollipop (including PowerAmp), that way people would be much more aware of it.

Also I found out why deleting the deep buffer section makes it work:

Nice found :good: go a head if you want to create a new thread. At least you can explain it better and hopefully more helpful to others.
    I shared what I found based on trial & error experience :D glad if it useful.
    Hi mate, how you connect your v4s with MX Player? Mine doesn't work with MX Player

That guide should works for mx player too. To find out just set mx player as audio player then check v4a driver status.