[guide] how to make your own usb jig / reset binary counter / remove yellow triangle

Search This thread

cabloomi

Feb 25, 2012
Iraq
======READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS======
I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS WONDERFUL TUTORIAL, ALL CREDIT TO THIS TUTORIAL GO'S TO GALAXYS2ROOT.COM
I ONLY TAKE CREDIT FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MOVE THIS HERE, SO PLEASE PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON

If you’ve soft bricked your Galaxy S2 (and can’t get into download mode) or you want to reset the ODIN download counter (so no one will no you’ve rooted your Galaxy S2), or you just simply
want to remove the i9100 splash screen, you can make a USB jig to solve all your problems.

What is a USB jig?

USB jig is a simple circuit that allows you to reset the download mode and also get into it for Samsung smartphones (can work on other Samsung phones besides the Galaxy S2) just in case something goes wrong. On a soft brick, this can save your phone as it will enter into download mode. Think of it as a reset switch.

You can buy a USB jig on Amazon for around $6-10 or for about $2, you can make your own. It’s a really simple circuit that involves putting 300K Ohms of resistors between pin 4 and 5 of the microUSB connector.

Here’s how to make your own for $2!

You can order a micro USB cable for $1 on Amazon and pick up 300K resistors for about $1. (or you can use 3 100K resistors in series, which is what I did since Radio Shack didn’t have 300K resistors)

Step 1. Cut the micro USB connector off your micro USB cable.
usb-jig-howto-1-690x342.jpg

Step 2. Start taking off the plastic on the side with heavy-duty scissors or knife until you get to the metal bones.
usb-jig-howto-2-690x282.jpg

Just cut it all the way until you can access all FIVE pins.
usb-jig-howto-11.jpg

Although every microUSB connector is different, mine had all the pin soldered except for pin 4 (which is shown by the arrow below), this is the pin that’s unused, so it was easy for me to identify. You need to connect a resistor in between this pin 4 and pin 5. Pin 5 is located to the right of pin 4.
usb-jig-howto-12.jpg

Below is what the pins look like for microUSB:
microusb.png

Step 3. You will need resistors, I am using 100K Ohm resistors I bought at Radio Shack.
usb-jig-howto-3-690x262.jpg

Step 4. Since the pins are so darn small, it’s going to be rather hard to solder the resistors right onto it. So I got 2 insulated wire pieces and solder them onto the pin 4 and pin 5.
usb-jig-howto-4-690x376.jpg

Step 5. Below shows my wires soldered securely onto pin 4 and pin 5.
usb-jig-howto-5-690x303.jpg

Step 6. Since I don’t have a 300K Ohm resistor, I am simply going to put three 100K Ohm resistors in series and solder them, this is actually pretty fun to do.
usb-jig-howto-6-690x350.jpg

Step 7. Last step is simply soldering the resistor piece onto the wires and voila, USB Jig is done. It took me about 15 minutes at most and I haven’t soldered for around 3 years so not too bad so long as it works. You can make it nicer by putting some hot glue over it then putting it in a case but I like having bare circuits, I can always make new ones if I break it.
usb-jig-howto-14.jpg

Step 8. Below shows my ODIN download count over 400+ on my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2. This is before using the USB Jig.
usb-jig-howto-7-690x349.jpg

Step 9. I turn the phone off then insert my new USB Jig, hoping that I did it right the first time.
usb-jig-howto-8-690x349.jpg

Step 10. After about 3 seconds, my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2 boots up by itself to download mode, my “custom binary download” count reset to zero and says “erasing download information succeeded”. Congrats!
usb-jig-howto-9-690x380.jpg

Step 11. I reboot the phone and find the i9100 boot splash gone!
usb-jig-howto-10-690x383.jpg

Next I used the jig on my AT&T Galaxy S2 and worked fine. This USB Jig works on all Samsung devices that support it.

By resetting your download mode count, you’ve truly erased any history that you’ve rooted your phone.

IF YOUR HAVING ANY TROUBLE EITHER POST YOUR QUESTION HERE
OR CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRrTZayRxU

THE ORIGINAL POST IS HERE
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1331782
I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS WONDERFUL TUTORIAL, ALL CREDIT TO THIS TUTORIAL GO'S TO GALAXYS2ROOT.COM
I ONLY TAKE CREDIT FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MOVE THIS HERE, SO PLEASE PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON

Last edited:

GuitarJim

Mar 17, 2012
The counter isn't cleared if you have installed 2.3.4 or later as it installs a newer bootloader that closes this loophole.

To reset the binary counter you need to flash the old boot loader here using Odin and then use the jig. I would have thought if a samsung centre saw the old bootloader on a device with 2.3.4 or later that will be an indication the phone has been rooted regardless of binary download count.

cabloomi

Feb 25, 2012
Iraq
from one to ten how much would you give this GUIDE, i give it and 8.5 becouse it doesnt mention the old/new boot loader thing

GuitarJim

Mar 17, 2012
If you have a link to the latest bootloader that would be aces :). I can't seem to find it and have the old one on mine so will need it if the worst happens.

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
This thread, and indeed this whole saga over the past day/few hrs reminds me of that Barenaked Ladies song 'It's All Been Done'.

Edit to add - Old/new bootloaders attached - I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your phone as a resulting of you flashing either of these, flash at your own risk, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: B3311

GuitarJim

Mar 17, 2012
Thank you. I know it is risky to install a new bootloader. Is there any point going back to the new bootloader now or should I not bother unless it needs to go to a service centre?

cabloomi

Feb 25, 2012
Iraq
This thread, and indeed this whole saga over the past day/few hrs reminds me of that Barenaked Ladies song 'It's All Been Done'.

Edit to add - Old/new bootloaders attached - I'm not responsible for anything that happens to your phone as a resulting of you flashing either of these, flash at your own risk, etc, etc.
i will have to put these in my post

MistahBungle

Nov 7, 2011
Bottom line is unless you have a specific reason to, like having to reset the flash counter with a jig (before sending it in for warranty service as you suggested) or if you're having problems with a particular rom not booting & needing a specific bootloader to work (like CM9/people who have installed certain ICS stock roms before moving to CM9), you don't mess with bootloaders.

So yeah, if your current setup is running just fine & you don't need to change bootloader, leave it as is ;)

Thank you. I know it is risky to install a new bootloader. Is there any point going back to the new bootloader now or should I not bother unless it needs to go to a service centre?

Reactions: ZACQ8

UpInTheAir

Account currently disabled
Jan 17, 2011
Phuket, Thailand
BUMP!! its a great guide for noobs, that are soft bricked

Exactly mate. I mean for soft bricked phones. The tutorial states "hard bricked".

Hard bricked phones can only be repaired with JTag or Samsung Repair Centre. It is as in the description, a brick, and cannot power on into download mode or recovery, and invariably most with no life at all.

Could you amend post #1 please to "soft bricked"?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Reactions: cabloomi

cabloomi

Feb 25, 2012
Iraq
Exactly mate. I mean for soft bricked phones. The tutorial states "hard bricked".

Hard bricked phones can only be repaired with JTag or Samsung Repair Centre. It is as in the description, a brick, and cannot power on into download mode or recovery, and invariably most with no life at all.

Could you amend post #1 please to "soft bricked"?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
ok thx for the heads up

ANDROID1997

Apr 22, 2012
UNITED KINGDOM
is there a jig that will get me out of a hard brick? or will this one do it :confused:
it says soft brick but i read every where that it will put your hard bricked phone into download mode ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you’ve soft bricked your Galaxy S2 (and can’t get into download mode) or you want to reset the ODIN download counter (so no one will no you’ve rooted your Galaxy S2), or you just simply
    want to remove the i9100 splash screen, you can make a USB jig to solve all your problems.

What is a USB jig?

USB jig is a simple circuit that allows you to reset the download mode and also get into it for Samsung smartphones (can work on other Samsung phones besides the Galaxy S2) just in case something goes wrong. On a soft brick, this can save your phone as it will enter into download mode. Think of it as a reset switch.

You can buy a USB jig on Amazon for around $6-10 or for about $2, you can make your own. It’s a really simple circuit that involves putting 300K Ohms of resistors between pin 4 and 5 of the microUSB connector.

Here’s how to make your own for $2!

You can order a micro USB cable for $1 on Amazon and pick up 300K resistors for about $1. (or you can use 3 100K resistors in series, which is what I did since Radio Shack didn’t have 300K resistors)

Step 1. Cut the micro USB connector off your micro USB cable.
    usb-jig-howto-1-690x342.jpg

Step 2. Start taking off the plastic on the side with heavy-duty scissors or knife until you get to the metal bones.
    usb-jig-howto-2-690x282.jpg

Just cut it all the way until you can access all FIVE pins.
    usb-jig-howto-11.jpg

Although every microUSB connector is different, mine had all the pin soldered except for pin 4 (which is shown by the arrow below), this is the pin that’s unused, so it was easy for me to identify. You need to connect a resistor in between this pin 4 and pin 5. Pin 5 is located to the right of pin 4.
    usb-jig-howto-12.jpg

Below is what the pins look like for microUSB:
    microusb.png

Step 3. You will need resistors, I am using 100K Ohm resistors I bought at Radio Shack.
    usb-jig-howto-3-690x262.jpg

Step 4. Since the pins are so darn small, it’s going to be rather hard to solder the resistors right onto it. So I got 2 insulated wire pieces and solder them onto the pin 4 and pin 5.
    usb-jig-howto-4-690x376.jpg

Step 5. Below shows my wires soldered securely onto pin 4 and pin 5.
    usb-jig-howto-5-690x303.jpg

Step 6. Since I don’t have a 300K Ohm resistor, I am simply going to put three 100K Ohm resistors in series and solder them, this is actually pretty fun to do.
    usb-jig-howto-6-690x350.jpg

Step 7. Last step is simply soldering the resistor piece onto the wires and voila, USB Jig is done. It took me about 15 minutes at most and I haven’t soldered for around 3 years so not too bad so long as it works. You can make it nicer by putting some hot glue over it then putting it in a case but I like having bare circuits, I can always make new ones if I break it.
    usb-jig-howto-14.jpg

Step 8. Below shows my ODIN download count over 400+ on my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2. This is before using the USB Jig.
    usb-jig-howto-7-690x349.jpg

Step 9. I turn the phone off then insert my new USB Jig, hoping that I did it right the first time.
    usb-jig-howto-8-690x349.jpg

Step 10. After about 3 seconds, my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2 boots up by itself to download mode, my “custom binary download” count reset to zero and says “erasing download information succeeded”. Congrats!
    usb-jig-howto-9-690x380.jpg

Step 11. I reboot the phone and find the i9100 boot splash gone!
    usb-jig-howto-10-690x383.jpg

Next I used the jig on my AT&T Galaxy S2 and worked fine. This USB Jig works on all Samsung devices that support it.

By resetting your download mode count, you’ve truly erased any history that you’ve rooted your phone.

IF YOUR HAVING ANY TROUBLE EITHER POST YOUR QUESTION HERE
    OR CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRrTZayRxU

THE ORIGINAL POST IS HERE
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1331782
    Do we not already have a post how to make your own usb jig etc .
    Although this one looks better .

jje
    BUMP!! its a great guide for noobs, that are soft bricked
    im going on right now, hope ur online
    really appreciate your work,

Whats up in IRAQ?
    U dint contact me on gtalk...