[GUIDE] How to manually upgrade firmware

Search This thread

Presterin

Sep 30, 2010
OnePlus 9 Pro
First of all, this guide expects you to have some basic knowledge how to use fastboot, have working ADB/fastboot connection on your computer and understand the fact that this may brick your phone if you mess up.
I am NOT responsible for anything! This will wipe everything on your phone, so get backups if needed.

This guide is written for X720 and supplied files are ONLY for X720. Same procedure will work on X727, but you will have to get right files yourself.
All files are from stock 23S, just extracted, converted and repacked for your convenience.

Read the whole guide before doing anything. If you're unsure about anything, don't do it.

Here we go:
1. Download .zip containing files from Mega: https://mega.nz/#!5boxDYrL!_O-oD05yhiU5FbCmYuf47VH4Qar5RhV5LKwyHa39bWM
2. Extract files to path where you are able to flash them using fastboot (ie. same folder with fastboot)
3. Boot your phone to bootloader (Vol- & Power)
4. Flash everything:
fastboot flash system system.img
fastboot flash boot boot.img
fastboot format data <-- THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE INCLUDING INTERNAL STORAGE
fastboot flash cmnlib64 cmnlib64.mbn
fastboot flash ddr ddr.mbn
fastboot flash cmnlib cmnlib.mbn
fastboot flash hyp hyp.mbn
fastboot flash pmic pmic.elf
fastboot flash tz tz.mbn
fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn
fastboot flash rpm rpm.mbn
fastboot flash devcfg devcfg.mbn
fastboot flash xbl xbl.elf
fastboot flash keymaster keymaster.mbn
fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
fastboot flash devinfo devinfo.bin​
5. Reboot, and let it boot up (takes some time)
6. Flash TWRP, wipe everything and install ROM (you have done this before, won't write a guide)

Credit for this guide goes to @darkobas

ajegile

Apr 10, 2009
Tambun , Bekasi
get error

C:\Program Files (x86)\Minimal ADB and Fastboot\x720_upgrade_23s>fastboot flash system system.img
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi

4K2K

May 22, 2015
Does anyone know which ones are safe to flash over the existing rom? I do not wish to wipe or break current rom.

4K2K

May 22, 2015
I flashed everything except system and boot on top of Omni rom. Everything works great.

Signor72

Jul 13, 2010
Which fastboot is compatible with system.img? Because of me too :"target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
Invalid sparse file format at header magi". minimal fast boot 1.42

Edit: ok..as long as the post I wrote started installation

Last edited:

meangreenie

Mar 6, 2012
Should/Can we install the latest fastboot? Mine is on shop altered 17s from over a year a go, which to be fair runs great; i just fancy a change.

Thanks

Hasancaktar

Dec 13, 2017
write "fastboot format data" command say "Formatting is not supported for file system with type ' '." what do i have to do

tsongming

Aug 19, 2016
write "fastboot format data" command say "Formatting is not supported for file system with type ' '." what do i have to do

First, you provided no information. For example what phone do you have, what OS etc.
I am guessing EUI: It would be alot easier to simply flash the firmware for your device instead of flashing the exact same pieces of it one at a time. By extracting the bits from the full OS.

This is a old outdated guide that has way too many steps, and it was made a long time ago. Since the name of the guide is upgrading firmware, I assume thats what you are trying to do.

Since you are hoping to flash firmware, I will go ahead and assume that you already have your bootloader unlocked, have flashed Twrp and are rooted? You can accomplish updating your firmware with one step. > Go to Lineage 15.1 page and go to downloads section. Here you will see firmware listed, download the firmware to your device. One flash in Twrp will install all of the radio and sensor files needed.

Hint: always boot to recovery first, checking the Twrp installation boxes if present> this is a best practice to avoid bricking your phone.
If you have any issue after following the steps I mentioned ( Its possible because of the fastboot commends) You may need to clean wipe reset and start fresh

Before you begin disable any passwords and fingerprints within the system settings.

• Boot to recovery > click wipe > advanced wipe > check cache ( not Dalvik, just cache) > swipe> press home key to return to main menu.
  • Click install >Navigate to your download folder and select firmware > swipe to install > clear cache again> reboot to recovery
  • If there are any check boxes to check for TWRP installation, check them >
  • Once back in recovery reboot to system > Finished

Last edited:
Reactions: jackpollard

jackpollard

Aug 17, 2013
First, you provided no information. For example what phone do you have, what OS etc.
I am guessing EUI: It would be alot easier to simply flash the firmware for your device instead of flashing the exact same pieces of it one at a time. By extracting the bits from the full OS.

This is a old outdated guide that has way too many steps, and it was made a long time ago. Since the name of the guide is upgrading firmware, I assume thats what you are trying to do.

Since you are hoping to flash firmware, I will go ahead and assume that you already have your bootloader unlocked, have flashed Twrp and are rooted? You can accomplish updating your firmware with one step. > Go to Lineage 15.1 page and go to downloads section. Here you will see firmware listed, download the firmware to your device. One flash in Twrp will install all of the radio and sensor files needed.

Hint: always boot to recovery first, checking the Twrp installation boxes if present> this is a best practice to avoid bricking your phone.
If you have any issue after following the steps I mentioned ( Its possible because of the fastboot commends) You may need to clean wipe reset and start fresh

Before you begin disable any passwords and fingerprints within the system settings.

• Boot to recovery > click wipe > advanced wipe > check cache ( not Dalvik, just cache) > swipe> press home key to return to main menu.
  • Click install >Navigate to your download folder and select firmware > swipe to install > clear cache again> reboot to recovery

I hate to be that person, but where the heck is the firmware dl's on the LIneage site? I did search and search. Thanks in advance.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First of all, this guide expects you to have some basic knowledge how to use fastboot, have working ADB/fastboot connection on your computer and understand the fact that this may brick your phone if you mess up.
    I am NOT responsible for anything! This will wipe everything on your phone, so get backups if needed.

This guide is written for X720 and supplied files are ONLY for X720. Same procedure will work on X727, but you will have to get right files yourself.
    All files are from stock 23S, just extracted, converted and repacked for your convenience.

Read the whole guide before doing anything. If you're unsure about anything, don't do it.

Here we go:
    1. Download .zip containing files from Mega: https://mega.nz/#!5boxDYrL!_O-oD05yhiU5FbCmYuf47VH4Qar5RhV5LKwyHa39bWM
    2. Extract files to path where you are able to flash them using fastboot (ie. same folder with fastboot)
    3. Boot your phone to bootloader (Vol- & Power)
    4. Flash everything:
    fastboot flash system system.img
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
    fastboot format data <-- THIS WILL WIPE YOUR PHONE INCLUDING INTERNAL STORAGE
    fastboot flash cmnlib64 cmnlib64.mbn
    fastboot flash ddr ddr.mbn
    fastboot flash cmnlib cmnlib.mbn
    fastboot flash hyp hyp.mbn
    fastboot flash pmic pmic.elf
    fastboot flash tz tz.mbn
    fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn
    fastboot flash rpm rpm.mbn
    fastboot flash devcfg devcfg.mbn
    fastboot flash xbl xbl.elf
    fastboot flash keymaster keymaster.mbn
    fastboot flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
    fastboot flash dsp adspso.bin
    fastboot flash bluetooth BTFM.bin
    fastboot flash devinfo devinfo.bin​
    5. Reboot, and let it boot up (takes some time)
    6. Flash TWRP, wipe everything and install ROM (you have done this before, won't write a guide)

Credit for this guide goes to @darkobas

I hate to be that person, but where the heck is the firmware dl's on the LIneage site? I did search and search. Thanks in advance.

https://xdaforums.com/le-pro3/development/rom-lineageos-15-0-leeco-le-pro3-t3683720