[GUIDE] How to PermaRoot your Desire HD

Search This thread

ikonas

Oct 30, 2010
3.You now want to copy the wpx.ko and hboot_7230_0.85.2007_101011.nb0 to the root of your SDCARD
a. If you made your own wpx.ko file in step 2, copy this to the SDCARD. You can use a hboot file from one of the
Root Files folders

What does it mean "to the root of your SDCARD" ?? Its mea /SDCARD or /SDCARD/ROOT ?

4.Copy the gscript folder onto the root of your SDCARD

How can I do that? I can see a folder on /SDCARD/GSCRIPT , but when I am trying to ADD SCRIPT -> LOAD FILE -> I am getting Select a file (.sh from sdcard) and I cant navigate GSCRIPT to load from WPX file.

I am using GSCRIPT lite.

Thanks for a answers.

kuailan

Aug 3, 2009
Sydney
3.You now want to copy the wpx.ko and hboot_7230_0.85.2007_101011.nb0 to the root of your SDCARD
a. If you made your own wpx.ko file in step 2, copy this to the SDCARD. You can use a hboot file from one of the
Root Files folders

What does it mean "to the root of your SDCARD" ?? Its mea /SDCARD or /SDCARD/ROOT ?

4.Copy the gscript folder onto the root of your SDCARD

How can I do that? I can see a folder on /SDCARD/GSCRIPT , but when I am trying to ADD SCRIPT -> LOAD FILE -> I am getting Select a file (.sh from sdcard) and I cant navigate GSCRIPT to load from WPX file.

I am using GSCRIPT lite.

Thanks for a answers.

3. Just copy the both the .ko and .nb0 on the SD card. Not the whole folders....and dont put in any folder. The Root there mean just SD card. Also make sure the .sh files matches your kernel.

4. For the gscript, just copy over the whole folder into your SD. When you install the Gscript Lide, click menu - Add script- load file - wpx.sh and saved. Continue to do the same for Hboot. (You dont need to navigate, it should be automatically). To run it just click on the WPX and HBOOT you created.

Last edited:

ikonas

Oct 30, 2010
I got just only wpx.ko and .nb0, but u telling me to copy both .sh files where i can find them?
Thanks for your reply

kuailan

Aug 3, 2009
Sydney
I got just only wpx.ko and .nb0, but u telling me to copy both .sh files where i can find them?
Thanks for your reply

Ah sorry my apology....I guess I am lacking sleep ;)
not the .SH files but the wpx.ko and .nb0. I get confused with the .sh files. Those SH files are the Gscript. You need to copy together with the whole folder. Not just the .sh files.

ainmosni

Mar 18, 2010
Amsterdam
To clarify a few things. VISIONary won't flash your HBOOT. Paul chose not to do this because this is a VERY dangerous operation which can brick your phone, we can thank HTC for making this necessary. Flashing HBOOT is only needed to flash the recovery/new roms in the future, it's not needed for permaroot. BE VERY CAREFUL with the 'dd' command, if this writes something and it goes wrong or if it writes the wrong thing, your bootloader is gone and your phone will be bricked.

This is all how I understand it, I'm a linux/PC expert not an android one.

T

Thyrus

To clarify a few things. VISIONary won't flash your HBOOT. Paul chose not to do this because this is a VERY dangerous operation which can brick your phone, we can thank HTC for making this necessary. Flashing HBOOT is only needed to flash the recovery/new roms in the future, it's not needed for permaroot. BE VERY CAREFUL with the 'dd' command, if this writes something and it goes wrong or if it writes the wrong thing, your bootloader is gone and your phone will be bricked.

This is all how I understand it, I'm a linux/PC expert not an android one.

and your understanding is 100% spot-on :)

dr.m0x

Oct 28, 2010
Auckland
I'm pretty sure Htc's misguided attempts to prevent hacking on this phone have turned more than a few people away from buying it.

I mean half or more of the fun of android is the custom roms and such.

combat goofwing

Mar 3, 2009
Google Pixel 6 Pro
ah think i understand now

so were rooted for unsigned / other aps that you can't normally run on the device

but to flash roms we need something else, no doubt the devs on here will do there magic and provide this tool at some point

silashack

:D

Vodafone branded AU model, I had VISIONary r10 installed, edit the file to match

2.06.32.21.g66cfb7a

Installed gscript lite, moved the files over, ran the scripts, followed the instructions and 100% success.

Now to find a stock wwe for Australia (assuming we will have some differences over here?)

A BIG thank you to all the main guys and people who offer support and aid

panyan

Oct 4, 2010
XDA Forums
I have just complied this Step-by-Step guide on how to root your Desire HD.

I by no means created the root, I simply used my own and others knowledge to put this guide together to help everyone.

Hopefully this is more of a beginners guide so we can ease new Android users into a bit of coding rather than relying on Apps to do the work

Step By Step Guide

Please make sure you have ran VISIONary before doing anything!

Note: Google removed VISIONary from the Marketplace. Instead, you can get it from http://android.modaco.com/content/h...m/320722/10-nov-r11-visionary-one-click-root/

Download it and sync your phone using HTC Sync, then you can install an application from there
http://www.multiupload.com/1UFOZTBOZQ

i am an abolsute virgin at this, can i get the steps right?:

1) run visionary and press what?

2) download and install htc sync

3) sync phone

4) download this http://www.multiupload.com/1UFOZTBOZQ

5) and then do what?

Doktaphex

Oct 18, 2010
Earth
Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite
ah think i understand now

so were rooted for unsigned / other aps that you can't normally run on the device

but to flash roms we need something else, no doubt the devs on here will do there magic and provide this tool at some point

We have the tool, it is just EXTREMELY important that anyone choosing to use it knows exactly what they are doing. "with great power comes great responsibility"
It's a relatively simple process, however, one character out of place, or the wrong file and you have a fancy new paper-weight. There are plenty of guides but at the end of the day it's your decision.

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
VISIONary r12 will permaroot your DHD - i.e It will automatically create your wpx.ko file and do the magic with that.

VISIONary will NOT touch your hboot. hboot is what will allow you to flash custom roms etc. You do not have to do this if you do not want to flash custom roms.

If you do want to flash custom roms you need to flash hboot, however be very very very careful doing this. Do it wrong and you WILL brick your device.

I wouldn't recommend this until custom roms are out and there is a clearer way of doing this. I didn't realise the dangers of it when I did it and I guess I just got lucky.

onesolo

Apr 18, 2006
Nexus 7 (2013)
Google Nexus 5
Can anyone help me?
So in order to have a perm root, only I have to download the latest visionary from modaco forum and click the icon (or have it run on boot!) and it's rooted?!?
Or do I have to preinstall anything else before run visionary?!?

Eddie1506

Feb 19, 2010
Zagreb
Google Nexus 5
OnePlus 9 Pro
VISIONary will NOT touch your hboot. hboot is what will allow you to flash custom roms etc. You do not have to do this if you do not want to flash custom roms.

If you do want to flash custom roms you need to flash hboot, however be very very very careful doing this. Do it wrong and you WILL brick your device.

I wouldn't recommend this until custom roms are out and there is a clearer way of doing this. I didn't realise the dangers of it when I did it and I guess I just got lucky.

For now, ENG hboot is required for custom ROMs. Once a real recovery is out, in no way will ENG hboot be needed, so for the average user who just wants an easy way to flash a custom ROM and not wanting to worry about bricking the phone, it would be best to wait for clockwork and then flash only recovery, not hboot.

nubicurio

Oct 20, 2010
Germany
Hi everyone,

I have a noob question about a rooted Android phone...will I be able to create a normal user account (without root privileges) for every day use, and only switch to root when needed?

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
Hi everyone,

I have a noob question about a rooted Android phone...will I be able to create a normal user account (without root privileges) for every day use, and only switch to root when needed?

You dont need to do that.

Think of root being the admin account on your computer, and non-root (i.e. how you got the phone) being a user account.

Admin gets more rights than user however can still do everything

nubicurio

Oct 20, 2010
Germany
Thanks Evostance. I guess I'm just somewhat paranoid about doing everything as root; which makes me wonder if Android supports multiple users like Linux does, so I can surf as a normal user and only exercise my root privileges when needed?

Evostance

Nov 27, 2008
www.greghesp.com
Thanks Evostance. I guess I'm just somewhat paranoid about doing everything as root; which makes me wonder if Android supports multiple users like Linux does, so I can surf as a normal user and only exercise my root privileges when needed?

Any applications that require root will request root rights. The superuser application will popup telling you an app is requesting root rights, you can allow or deny these rights then ;)

You can also go into Superuser and see what applications have root rights and revoke these if neccessary

Sereniity

Nov 6, 2010
Worked like a charm, am I right in thinking that even doing a system update ones DHD will still be rooted?

Sorry if this is already been answered but threads are long and tedious to read when tired,

Many thanks.

Top Liked Posts