• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[GUIDE] How to port ROMS

Search This thread

Zte blade l

Mar 6, 2015
Chennai
I find only a build.prop file in system of my base ROM .
I found only a build.prop file in the system file of the folowing roms: CM12.1, SlimLP
Is there any different procedure for Porting using these ROM's?
need some suggestions.
Can we port ROM's from different android versions? Like porting a lolipop rom using kiktat based ROM as base?
sorry if these questions sound stupid. I didn't have the time to go through the whole thread.
Thanks,
Zte blade l.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2016
Hyderabad
Finally found it..... :)

Sent from my SM-A9000 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:21 PM ----------

I know that there are actually LOTS of "How to port ROMS" in this forum now.. but I would like to share a certain source I found that is actually fool proof :)

Here it goes!

find a ROM that is designed for the same CPU type and the same phone manufacturer. Any stock Gingerbread, ICS, or CyanogenMod 7/9 ROM should work, but you’ll have to make sure your phone can handle the ROM – no ICS for an HTC Hero, for example. Also, your Port ROM's original Phone should have the same RESOLUTION with that of your phone's.

This guide may mention some files or directories that aren’t present in your particular ROM; don’t worry, just carry on.

Now, if you desire, you can update any apps you require, or add any tools like BusyBox or SuperSU.

And that’s it! Your base ROM is now ready to be zipped and installed on your device via Clockwork Mod! :D

SOURCE: http://apcmag.com/port-roms-to-your-android-device.htm

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

CUSTOM ROM FOLDERS EXPLAINED
List of Resolution for Smartphones
How to change Kernel of ROM Before installation in its zip file.
[GUIDE][How to Make CWM Recovery Flashable Zip file without Computer]
Will surely try to port S6 ROM to my S4 I9500.... thanks

Sent from my SM-A9000 using Tapatalk

Hedi.Karray

May 23, 2015
Sfax
thank you for this , but i have a question , is it possible to port a rom with different CPU reference and a same phone manufacturer ??? if there is a chance even 20% to make this possible just tell me

Kdom81

May 23, 2014
Sunshine Coast
I know that there are actually LOTS of "How to port ROMS" in this forum now.. but I would like to share a certain source I found that is actually fool proof :)

Here it goes!

find a ROM that is designed for the same CPU type and the same phone manufacturer. Any stock Gingerbread, ICS, or CyanogenMod 7/9 ROM should work, but you’ll have to make sure your phone can handle the ROM – no ICS for an HTC Hero, for example. Also, your Port ROM's original Phone should have the same RESOLUTION with that of your phone's.

This guide may mention some files or directories that aren’t present in your particular ROM; don’t worry, just carry on.

Now, if you desire, you can update any apps you require, or add any tools like BusyBox or SuperSU.

And that’s it! Your base ROM is now ready to be zipped and installed on your device via Clockwork Mod! :D

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Quote:
In Notepad++, open \META-INF\com\google\android\updater-script from both your base and port ROMs. Edit the Port’s script to be like the Base’s updater-script: specifically, change, edit, or add the sections for permissions, ui_prints, asserts, run_programs, and installing the kernel. Don’t change any of the symlinks. In the Port script, make sure that the ‘format’ values are appropriate for your device (compare them to the Base script).

Help..... My base ROM doesnt seem to have this META-INF folder??
This step seems very important and not to be skipped!?
Even if I make a CWM backup this folder doesnt seem to exist :(

Last edited:

MegaSU

Jun 2, 2016
I am having an idea of porting J5 2015 6.0.1 system to Core Prime LTE (SM-G361F)
Since they both use the same cpu Snapdragon 410. But the resolution of the j5 is 720p
Would that still work on core prime. Please help me..

diabolicalprophecy

Jul 5, 2012
porting rom is not just copy-paste job. you need to edit init.rc and other files inside boot.img, maybe even compile kernel from source . Else everyone would be doing it. This guide is incomplete.
How are the users supposed to find a phone from same manufacturer and with exactly same specs? Most of custom Rom users have discontinued hardware(in terms of updates from manufacturer). I have a phone with qualcomm snapdragon s3 SOC. Now where on earth would i find a similar device that is running android Nougat or marshmallow to port ? Whats the point in using your instructions if it only allow to port outdated OS?

rakshushetty

Jun 24, 2016
How to pack back to .img.ext4 ??

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

After porting can i use Odin to flash ported ROM?
By converting system folder to img.ext4 and pack it with tar.md5???

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I have original Samsung firmwares, which are in tar.md5 format. So how to perform last step. MANIFEST file.

omkolte17

Oct 8, 2015
India

Here it goes!

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

stuck in bootloop :( what do i do now??

Yogesh1969

Oct 2, 2012
Mumbai
may be i missread simething, but there is only build.prop file in PORT system folder of CM12.1

You have to extract system from system.dat file.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 PM ----------

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
[/URL]

There is a basic correction needed here. Port rom is Base Rom as per the original guide . The whole meaning changes. If you delete port Roms apps there is no meaning of porting. The original guide mentions both Roms correctly. But thanks for the guide .

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts