[GUIDE] How to properly use the SP FLASH TOOL for MERLIN ? (Redmi 10X 4G / Redmi Note 9)

Search This thread

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
Warnings:

- If you try to flash in "firmware upgrade" mode, bootloader will be LOCKED again !
- NEVER try to flash in "format all" mode ! Otherwise, you will LOSE all secure and identifying infos for your device. Like IMEI and MAC.
- Keep your backup files safe and secure ! If you can, encrypt them.
- Never try to share your backups or your security and privacy will be compromised.

- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS.

Downloads:

- SP Flash Tool (Windows): https://spflashtools.com/category/windows
- SP Flash Tool (Linux): https://spflashtools.com/category/linux
- Download-Agent (DA) file: https://xdaforums.com/t/da-flash-da...omi-redmi-10x-4g-xiaomi-redmi-note-9.4209767/
- Scatter file: https://xdaforums.com/t/scatter-fla...omi-redmi-10x-4g-xiaomi-redmi-note-9.4223093/
- (Optional) ReadBack file: https://xdaforums.com/t/readback-fl...omi-redmi-10x-4g-xiaomi-redmi-note-9.4223107/

Alternative Downloads:
If you are having problems for flashing on Windows with sp flash tool, give a try on these versions:
- SP Flash Tool v5.2020 https://spflashtools.com/windows/sp-flash-tool-v5-2020
- SP Flash Tool v5.1920 https://spflashtools.com/windows/sp-flash-tool-v5-1920
- SP Flash Tool v5.1916 https://spflashtools.com/windows/sp-flash-tool-v5-1916

1. Extract (or install) SP Flash Tool.

2. Extract Download-Agent (DA) file to the SP Flash Tool home folder.

3. Copy the Scatter file to the SP Flash Tool home folder.

4. If you've downloaded the ReadBack file and want to make backup of your device, copy the ReadBack file to the SP Flash Tool home folder. If not, skip this.

5. Run SP Flash Tool.

6. Select Download tab.

7. Click Choose button for finding the Download-Agent and select the Download-Agent (DA) file.

8. Click Choose button for finding the Scatter-loading and select the Scatter file.

9. Click Options in the menu bar. And then select Option.

10. In General tab, UNCHECK "LIB DA match" and UNCHECK "Storage Lite Cycle".

2021-02-07_00.43.00.png

2021-02-16_11-33-06-png.5223641

Done ! 🥳

Now you are ready for to flash, to format or to readback whatever you want.

How to properly solve the errors of the SP FLASH TOOL ?

If you are facing any error or any problem using the SPFlashTool, try this guide: https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-how-t...for-merlin-redmi-10x-4g-redmi-note-9.4238149/

:unsure: Do you need help with your MERLIN device ?
Read this FAQ: https://xdaforums.com/t/faq-guide-h...for-merlin-redmi-10x-4g-redmi-note-9.4225177/

Attachments

• 2021-02-07_00.43.00.png
    2021-02-07_00.43.00.png
    106.5 KB · Views: 16,136
  • 2021-02-16_11.33.06.png
    2021-02-16_11.33.06.png
    33.3 KB · Views: 16,146
Last edited:
Reactions: RN9_G85

Matt_slider

Apr 4, 2021
VD171,
first of all, had I not seen your's and @Communos ' posts on unbricking Merlin (and ) I would probably give up and feel quite sad for doing so. So, thank you both for giving me hope.

I am asking for help at this point because I'm a wee bit stuck with SPTool.

Background: from 12.0.6 MIXM I flashed TWRP (sandra), lk, and vbmeta with flags, as I have always done so. TWRP functioned as expected. Proceeded with flashing HyconOS. Restart, power button reset after Redmi logo. Bootloop. Repeat with 12.0.5 stock MIUI (MIXM) using fastboot method, followed by Fastboot: lk, vbmeta, TWRP; reboot. Now this is interesting. The device will not come alive to any combination of button presses I have used.

Question 1: at this point would you say the device is unrepairable?
Question 2: if there is hope, could I please ask for you help? I can donate some money to you for your time. I really am motivated to get my phone working again because apart from the loss of 48 MP camera functionality with custom roms, it worked brilliantly; unlike MIUI which kept restarting AFWALL and therefore could not be trusted, hence the need to revist a custom rom.

SPTool
------------
Here's where I am stuck:

1630457183796.png

This is with using Manjaro. Same result with Windows.

All files were sourced from your instructions.
Where I have falled short of following your instructions to the letter is with your settings in "Options" because you mentioned unchecking two boxes which do not exist - see below.

That was with v5.1916. I have installed v6.2120 and v6.2124 but the box for inputting the scatter-loading file under the downloads tab is missing. So, as you can see I'm stuck at this point.

Help would be greatly appreciated sirs. Thank you..

1630457393396.png

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
VD171,
first of all, had I not seen your's and @Communos ' posts on unbricking Merlin (and ) I would probably give up and feel quite sad for doing so. So, thank you both for giving me hope.

Background: from 12.0.6 MIXM I flashed TWRP (sandra), lk, and vbmeta with flags, as I have always done so. TWRP functioned as expected. Proceeded with flashing HyconOS. Restart, power button reset after Redmi logo. Bootloop. Repeat with 12.0.5 stock MIUI (MIXM) using fastboot method, followed by Fastboot: lk, vbmeta, TWRP; reboot. Now this is interesting. The device will not come alive to any combination of button presses I have used.

Question 2: if there is hope, could I please ask for you help? I can donate some money to you for your time. I really am motivated to get my phone working again because apart from the loss of 48 MP camera functionality with custom roms, it worked brilliantly; unlike MIUI which kept restarting AFWALL and therefore could not be trusted, hence the need to revist a custom rom.

SPTool
------------
Here's where I am stuck:

Where I have falled short of following your instructions to the letter is with your settings in "Options" because you mentioned unchecking two boxes which do not exist - see below.

That was with v5.1916. I have installed v6.2120 and v6.2124 but the box for inputting the scatter-loading file under the downloads tab is missing. So, as you can see I'm stuck at this point.

If your device looks dead, certainly you have mixed partitions from different firmware versions.
Firstly, you need to try everything to flash any full stock rom.
And then, you can have your device back.

SP Flash Tool V6 is NOT compatible with scatter files.

Matt_slider

Apr 4, 2021
If your device looks dead, certainly you have mixed partitions from different firmware versions.
Firstly, you need to try everything to flash any full stock rom.
And then, you can have your device back.

SP Flash Tool V6 is NOT compatible with scatter files.
Thanks for your fast reply.

What else is there left to try? I don't know what else I can do.

Would you recommend a tech expert with MS Teams have a go fixing it remotely?

EXeyes

Sep 11, 2021
Hello, i want to flash my Xiaomi MI Note 10 using SP FLASH TOOL.

I rode @VD171 tutorial carefully and also rode this post : https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-how-t...for-merlin-redmi-note-9-redmi-10x-4g.4233977/ on how to flash Redmi note 9 and redmi 10X.

I'm trying to find if the MI note 10 require a Download agent file but i didn't manage to have a precise answer. I have two questions which are : can i use the MTK_ALLInOne_DA.bin as DL file for flashing a MI note 10 device ? or which DL file should i use ? And is it the same process than it is for flashing Redmi note 9 ? Last question is what is "MERLIN" device ?

Thank you for taking time to read me and answer.

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
Hello, i want to flash my Xiaomi MI Note 10 using SP FLASH TOOL.

I rode @VD171 tutorial carefully and also rode this post : https://xdaforums.com/t/guide-how-t...for-merlin-redmi-note-9-redmi-10x-4g.4233977/ on how to flash Redmi note 9 and redmi 10X.

I'm trying to find if the MI note 10 require a Download agent file but i didn't manage to have a precise answer. I have two questions which are : can i use the MTK_ALLInOne_DA.bin as DL file for flashing a MI note 10 device ? or which DL file should i use ? And is it the same process than it is for flashing Redmi note 9 ? Last question is what is "MERLIN" device ?

Thank you for taking time to read me and answer.
Apparentely, MI NOTE 10 is NOT a mediatek device, so you can't use sp flash tool.
MERLIN is the codename of the combination of the devices: redmi note 9 and redmi 10X 4G.
The codename of MI NOTE 10 is TUCANA.
TUCANA is the codename of the combination of the devices: Mi CC 9 Pro, Mi Note 10 and Note 10 Pro.
As you can see here:

EXeyes

Sep 11, 2021
@VD171 Thank you for your fast answer ! Ok i see i'll try to find another solution then, do you have any hint about flashing xiaomi device which is not Mediatek devices or how to go beyong the mi account lock ?

Communos

Oct 28, 2019
Paris
Xiaomi Redmi 5
Google Pixel 3 XL
VD171,

SPTool
------------
Here's where I am stuck:

View attachment 5398533

View attachment 5398535
I faced this as well, when I didn't change BAUD rate and usb mode to UART in connection settings. Did you do it?

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
Reactions: Matt_slider

Mineplayerminer

Dec 12, 2021
Redmi Note 9
I think you're the only one person who tries to make a ROM for the Redmi Note 9. Im stuck with this phone for so long and I hate the MIUI, especially when the phone got bricked just by updating the MIUI to 12.0.9. I sent it back to the shop but they just made it worse, they installed a ROM version for the Redmi Note 9 Pro, I don't wonder why the half of the functions are not working. Shame on them. How can I literally BACK UP everything from the phone that after unlocking the bootloader and flashing the Arrow OS or other ROM I could restore everything on it? I mean all the APKs (and their data).

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7
I think you're the only one person who tries to make a ROM for the Redmi Note 9. Im stuck with this phone for so long and I hate the MIUI, especially when the phone got bricked just by updating the MIUI to 12.0.9. I sent it back to the shop but they just made it worse, they installed a ROM version for the Redmi Note 9 Pro, I don't wonder why the half of the functions are not working. Shame on them. How can I literally BACK UP everything from the phone that after unlocking the bootloader and flashing the Arrow OS or other ROM I could restore everything on it? I mean all the APKs (and their data).
Using TitaniumBackup.

VD171

Jun 21, 2012
LG K10
Samsung Galaxy J7

Top Liked Posts