Search This thread

broodplank1337

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 24, 2011
Nijmegen
www.broodplank.net
Guide: How to Recover from a bootloop
by brooplank1337

This guide will learn you the common ways of fixing a bootloop, how to create a custom CWM Fix-Zip and how to use ADB to recover from a bootloop.

Chapters:

Chapter 1: Finding the cause of the bootloop
Chapter 2: Using a CWM ZIP as solution
Chapter 3: Using ADB as solution

Bootloops are mainly caused because system files interfering with each other which causes instability and/or crashes at the boot sequence.
To find the cause of a bootloop you have to think about what you did before getting the bootloop.
Choose one of the following reasons that caused the bootloop for you and try out its solution.

- After flashing a new rom

If you flash a new (base)rom with odin your /data will be kept. This means your old dalvik-cache will be used for the new system files which would result in a bootloop, to fix this problem:

1. Start your phone in CWM Recovery
2. Go to Advanced
3. Choose "Wipe dalvik-cache"
4. Now go to "Mounts & Storage"
5. Choose "Wipe /cache"
6. Reboot your phone

if the problems still exists after doing that and you're sure it's not related to the rom, then you need to do this:

2. Now go to "Mounts & Storage"
3. Choose "Wipe /data"
4. Choose "Wipe /cache"
5. Reboot your phone

- After restoring a system only backup

This one is actually the same as the above one, since only /system is restored (advanced restore) there is an incorrect dalvik-cache present which will cause the bootloop. perform the same steps as above to solve the problem.

- After installing a Mod / Theme or UOT Kitchen output

When you install a Mod / Theme or UOT Kitchen output and you get a bootloop, you know there is something wrong with the file that you are installing. This is mostly caused by an incorrect BaseROM of the mod/theme, but can also happen if the creator just didn't create it properly.
Wiping dalvik-cache won't be enough to fix this, you will need to open the zip on your computer and look at the files that are installed with the mod/theme. you can do this by looking into the system folder in the zip, there you can find the files that are being installed. for example:

You have installed an Extended Power Menu mod but it causes a bootloop, here is what you do:

1. Open the installation zip with Winrar (Extended Power Menu in this case)
2. Now look inside the "system" folder, in my case I found the framework folder inside the system folder
3. The framework folder contains: android.policy.jar & framework-res.apk, so these are the suspicious files.
4. What you simply do is searching for the original files (from your (base)rom) and drag them into the framework folder (inside winrar)
5. Now it will ask for a compression level, choose "Store" and the archive will be done in seconds.
6. You will need to put the file on your external sdcard using the "Mount USB Storage" option in CWM under "Mounts & Storage"
7. Install the zip just as you did with the mod, you should now be bootloop free, if not reinstall the zip with a mounted /system (Mounts & Storage > Mount /system) (and you can optionally wipe /cache and /dalvik-cache, this will never harm any file/setting.

Q: Ok... but I have no external sdcard.. how to fix it then?
A: Have a look at the "Using ADB as solution" chapter

- After setting wrong permissions

Android is very dependent on the right permissions, if you adjust file permissions incorrectly you could get a bootloop, giving a file to less permissions would break it, but also giving a file to much permissions would break it. most common permissions of system files are:

- 644 (RW-R-R) - (this is best known system permission, it exists in /system/app, /system/framework, /system/etc, /system/lib and allot of seperate files)
- 755 (RWX-RX-RX) - (mainly used for /system/bin)
- 777 (RWX-RWX-RWX) - (used for scripts inside /system/etc/init.d and busybox files)

An easy fix is performing the "Fix permissions" option in CWM under Advanced. be sure to mount the partitions before running the fix. Although this doesn't cover all permissions. have a look at the CWM or ADB chapter to find the solution.

Chapter 2 Using a CWM ZIP as solution

Using the original cwm zip is the easiest way, since the zip is already created for you, you only need to replace the files with the original rom files. You can get those files from the deodex packages for baseroms which are posted on the forums. If you are using an odexed ROM, you can get your files from system.img.ext4 (open the baserom: *.tar.md5 with Winrar and extract system.img.ext4)
Now you can open system.img.ext4 with "DiskInternals Linux Reader". browse to the app/framework directory and extract the needed files from the image file.

Once you got the same files as present in the original CWM zip you can easily drag em into the archive, then choose "store" as compression level. Now finally you need to put it on your sdcard and install it.

If you don't have an external sdcard or you can't reach your internal sdcard (which is very likely when you have a bootloop), you can use ADB to push the zip to your phone, read about how to use ADB in Chapter 3.

Commands for updater-script (located in CWMFIX.zip/META-INF/com/google/android/)

Mount & Install

To mount the system partition:
mount("ext4", "EMMC", "/dev/block/mmcblk0p15", "/system");

To extract the system folder in your zip:
package_extract_dir("system", "/system");

Setting Permissions

To set permissions of an individual file:
set_perm(0, 0, Mod, "File here");

A working example:
set_perm(0, 0, 0644, "/system/build.prop");

To set permissions of a directory:
set_perm(0, 0, Mod, "Dir here without a trailing slash");

Setting Permissions Recursively

To set permissions to all files inside a directory (resursive):
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, Mod, "Dir here without a trailing slash");

A working example:
set_perm_recursive(0, 0, 0755, 0777, "/system/etc/init.d");

Chapter 3 Using ADB as solution

ADB can be used to access the phone while booting, be aware that some bootloops make it unable to use ADB since they do not go further then the samsung logo.
The only tricky part about using ADB with bootloops is that you have to do it on the right time, this is just after the Galaxy S Plus logo, so just when the bootanimation starts. The easiest way to enter your phone in this part is using a batch script that monitors the state of your device and connects directly when possible.

I use this script for example (requires adb.exe and the 2 dlls)

Code:
@echo off
cd /d %~dp0
echo.
echo Waiting for device...
adb wait-for-device
echo.
adb -d shell stop
adb push mycwmfix.zip /sdcard/mycwmfix.zip
adb reboot recovery

This script will wait for the device to become ready, when it's ready it freeze the device, so the script has more time to push the file (instead of keep rebooting). Then it will push the specified cwmfix zip to your sdcard, and after that it will reboot in recovery so you can install the cwm fix you made.

You can also make an batch script that pushes the files automatically to your phone, here is an example:

Code:
@echo off
cd /d %~dp0
echo.
adb wait-for-device
echo.
adb -d shell stop
adb -d shell su -c "mount -o remount rw /system"
adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework/framework-res.apk
adb -d shell chmod 644 /system/framework/framework-res.apk
adb push SystemUI.apk /system/app/SystemUI.apk
adb -d shell chmod 644 /system/app/SystemUI.apk
adb reboot

This script will wait for the device to become ready, when it's ready it freeze the device, so the script has more time to push the file (instead of keep rebooting). Then it will push framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk to the directory it belongs to, after that it changes the permissions of the files to RW-R-R (644) and then it will reboot.

I hope you learned something from this tutorial, when I think I forgot something Ill add it later.

Last edited:

mat7961

Jan 17, 2013
by brooplank1337

This guide will learn you the common ways of fixing a bootloop, how to create a custom CWM Fix-Zip and how to use ADB to recover from a bootloop.

Chapters:

Bootloops are mainly caused because system files interfering with each other which causes instability and/or crashes at the boot sequence.
To find the cause of a bootloop you have to think about what you did before getting the bootloop.
Choose one of the following reasons that caused the bootloop for you and try out its solution.

If you flash a new (base)rom with odin your /data will be kept. This means your old dalvik-cache will be used for the new system files which would result in a bootloop, to fix this problem:

2. Go to Advanced
5. Choose "Wipe /cache"
6. Reboot your phone

if the problems still exists after doing that and you're sure it's not related to the rom, then you need to do this:

3. Choose "Wipe /data"
4. Choose "Wipe /cache"
5. Reboot your phone

This one is actually the same as the above one, since only /system is restored (advanced restore) there is an incorrect dalvik-cache present which will cause the bootloop. perform the same steps as above to solve the problem.

When you install a Mod / Theme or UOT Kitchen output and you get a bootloop, you know there is something wrong with the file that you are installing. This is mostly caused by an incorrect BaseROM of the mod/theme, but can also happen if the creator just didn't create it properly.
Wiping dalvik-cache won't be enough to fix this, you will need to open the zip on your computer and look at the files that are installed with the mod/theme. you can do this by looking into the system folder in the zip, there you can find the files that are being installed. for example:

You have installed an Extended Power Menu mod but it causes a bootloop, here is what you do:

2. Now look inside the "system" folder, in my case I found the framework folder inside the system folder
3. The framework folder contains: android.policy.jar & framework-res.apk, so these are the suspicious files.
4. What you simply do is searching for the original files (from your (base)rom) and drag them into the framework folder (inside winrar)
5. Now it will ask for a compression level, choose "Store" and the archive will be done in seconds.
6. You will need to put the file on your external sdcard using the "Mount USB Storage" option in CWM under "Mounts & Storage"
7. Install the zip just as you did with the mod, you should now be bootloop free, if not reinstall the zip with a mounted /system (Mounts & Storage > Mount /system) (and you can optionally wipe /cache and /dalvik-cache, this will never harm any file/setting.

Android is very dependent on the right permissions, if you adjust file permissions incorrectly you could get a bootloop, giving a file to less permissions would break it, but also giving a file to much permissions would break it. most common permissions of system files are:

- 644 (RW-R-R) - (this is best known system permission, it exists in /system/app, /system/framework, /system/etc, /system/lib and allot of seperate files)
- 777 (RWX-RWX-RWX) - (used for scripts inside /system/etc/init.d and busybox files)

An easy fix is performing the "Fix permissions" option in CWM under Advanced. be sure to mount the partitions before running the fix. Although this doesn't cover all permissions. have a look at the CWM or ADB chapter to find the solution.

Using the original cwm zip is the easiest way, since the zip is already created for you, you only need to replace the files with the original rom files. You can get those files from the deodex packages for baseroms which are posted on the forums. If you are using an odexed ROM, you can get your files from system.img.ext4 (open the baserom: *.tar.md5 with Winrar and extract system.img.ext4)
Now you can open system.img.ext4 with "DiskInternals Linux Reader". browse to the app/framework directory and extract the needed files from the image file.

Once you got the same files as present in the original CWM zip you can easily drag em into the archive, then choose "store" as compression level. Now finally you need to put it on your sdcard and install it.

If you don't have an external sdcard or you can't reach your internal sdcard (which is very likely when you have a bootloop), you can use ADB to push the zip to your phone, read about how to use ADB in Chapter 3.

Commands for updater-script (located in CWMFIX.zip/META-INF/com/google/android/)

Mount & Install

Setting Permissions

A working example:

A working example:

ADB can be used to access the phone while booting, be aware that some bootloops make it unable to use ADB since they do not go further then the samsung logo.
The only tricky part about using ADB with bootloops is that you have to do it on the right time, this is just after the Galaxy S Plus logo, so just when the bootanimation starts. The easiest way to enter your phone in this part is using a batch script that monitors the state of your device and connects directly when possible.

Code:
@echo off
cd /d %~dp0
echo.
adb wait-for-device
echo.
adb -d shell stop
adb reboot recovery

This script will wait for the device to become ready, when it's ready it freeze the device, so the script has more time to push the file (instead of keep rebooting). Then it will push the specified cwmfix zip to your sdcard, and after that it will reboot in recovery so you can install the cwm fix you made.

You can also make an batch script that pushes the files automatically to your phone, here is an example:

Code:
@echo off
cd /d %~dp0
echo.
adb wait-for-device
echo.
adb -d shell stop
adb reboot

This script will wait for the device to become ready, when it's ready it freeze the device, so the script has more time to push the file (instead of keep rebooting). Then it will push framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk to the directory it belongs to, after that it changes the permissions of the files to RW-R-R (644) and then it will reboot.

I hope you learned something from this tutorial, when I think I forgot something Ill add it later.

Dear sir,

I tried every possible way to recover my handset but its not working as the permissions for SYSTEM folder are changed and adb cannot read it or write it.
i also tried to pull the original folder and push another new system folder so that the files are accessible but no success.
I also tried flashing boot,recovery,system images but no use.
what would you suggest in such situation as the shell su chmod and all the other files reside into system/bin folder.
please do try to check asap and reply.

thanks in advance

Xistance

Dec 20, 2011
Dear sir,

I tried every possible way to recover my handset but its not working as the permissions for SYSTEM folder are changed and adb cannot read it or write it.
i also tried to pull the original folder and push another new system folder so that the files are accessible but no success.
what would you suggest in such situation as the shell su chmod and all the other files reside into system/bin folder.

thanks in advance

My first advice is to not quote the OP.
Secondly, try to use the adb in recovery mode. If this doesn't work either, use the repartition thread guide to restore your /system partition.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda premium

Reactions: Sot0

gius321

Mar 4, 2013
Tbilisi
pattern unlock, bootloop

I installed some frameworks, after that settings some features not working properly. yesterday i wanted to set pattern unlock and when i set it i immediately got bootloop.. please tell me what to do? should i flash stock setting mod? or something like it? (framework) :confused::confused: i have xperia arc s stock 4.0.4 ...

Last edited:

minhthai17

Apr 27, 2013
Anaheim
I need HELP, guys! I am having a little problem and idk how to fix this. After flashing Infamous ROM, reboot, everything worked fine, but then I reboot the phone and it stuck in the bootloop, so I went to the TWRP and factory reset, reboot, still stuck in bootloop. So i went back and format data and flash it again. Everything works fine, then i try to reboot and it and stuck and the samsung screen AGAIN! So i went back to the Stock ROM do the same thing, first boot is fine, reboot and it stuck in the Samung Galaxy S4 screen. Any solution guys? I even tried fix permission . Still didntwork. HELP, PLEASE!!

magicw

Jan 18, 2013
I need HELP, guys! I am having a little problem and idk how to fix this. After flashing Infamous ROM, reboot, everything worked fine, but then I reboot the phone and it stuck in the bootloop, so I went to the TWRP and factory reset, reboot, still stuck in bootloop. So i went back and format data and flash it again. Everything works fine, then i try to reboot and it and stuck and the samsung screen AGAIN! So i went back to the Stock ROM do the same thing, first boot is fine, reboot and it stuck in the Samung Galaxy S4 screen. Any solution guys? I even tried fix permission . Still didntwork. HELP, PLEASE!!

Obviously there is no Infamous ROM for I9001 - you're sure you flashed a ROM that fits to SGS+ please review this and maybe reflash a dedicated ROM.

mrjraider

Jul 1, 2012

Two questions
1) on which phone did you flash this infamous rom?
2) tried wipe /system and tried it again?

saifzahid

Jun 28, 2012

Format emmc and flash any stock ROM for ur device through Odin.
Reroot again and flash any custom ROM built for your device.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using xda premium

GameOverMan

Oct 9, 2008
bootlooping after data restore to a new rom

hi, i installed jelly bam on my note i717 and it works great, but when i restore data from my stock laggy jelly bean it bootloops i tried doing fix permissions, wiping delvik cashe and cashe. i tried going back and restoring to old jelly bean and then backing it up again and flashing jelly bam again and after restoring data again with fix permissions it bootloops again. how can i safely restore data on my new rom? please help!

p.s. using twrp with cwm i couldn't even flash rom cuz it errored and aborted it every time.

ktulu84

Jan 2, 2013
Pescara
hi, i installed jelly bam on my note i717 and it works great, but when i restore data from my stock laggy jelly bean it bootloops i tried doing fix permissions, wiping delvik cashe and cashe. i tried going back and restoring to old jelly bean and then backing it up again and flashing jelly bam again and after restoring data again with fix permissions it bootloops again. how can i safely restore data on my new rom? please help!

p.s. using twrp with cwm i couldn't even flash rom cuz it errored and aborted it every time.

This is i9001 forum... BTW are you trying to restore system apps data?

Inviato dal mio GT-i9001 con topatalk 2

vascotto

Oct 27, 2013
by brooplank1337

Chapters:

2. Go to Advanced
5. Choose "Wipe /cache"
6. Reboot your phone

3. Choose "Wipe /data"
4. Choose "Wipe /cache"
5. Reboot your phone

Mount & Install

Setting Permissions

A working example:

A working example:

Code:
@echo off
cd /d %~dp0
echo.
adb wait-for-device
echo.
adb -d shell stop
adb reboot recovery

Code:
@echo off
cd /d %~dp0
echo.
adb wait-for-device
echo.
adb -d shell stop
adb reboot

Hey,
After trying to make a backup using cwm my phone got caught on a bootloop. I think the backup was not completed and I believe there was some sort of error (something about an image not being copied, I think). There is also a warning on the cwm recovery page that says "no file-context". What can I do?

Thank you

sa1tine

Dec 12, 2009
Hey,
After trying to make a backup using cwm my phone got caught on a bootloop. I think the backup was not completed and I believe there was some sort of error (something about an image not being copied, I think). There is also a warning on the cwm recovery page that says "no file-context". What can I do?

Thank you

do you mean you flashed a backup and it is boot looping?

Djabolic

Apr 26, 2011
Ankara
Hey,

Thank you
Probably your device ran out of free space. Try to delete some backups you've made before.

beastro

Aug 31, 2007
Hi,
I have CyanogenMod 10 installed on my I9001 and it worked perfectly for the past few months until I rebooted the phone today and now it is stuck on the CyanogenMod start screen. I had not installed/modified anything on my phone before rebooting...
I tried to wipe cache, but that did not help. Any idea how to fix this without deleting everything from the phone?

Thanks!!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    by brooplank1337

Chapters:

2. Go to Advanced
    5. Choose "Wipe /cache"
    6. Reboot your phone

3. Choose "Wipe /data"
    4. Choose "Wipe /cache"
    5. Reboot your phone

Mount & Install

Setting Permissions

A working example:

A working example:

Code:
    @echo off
    cd /d %~dp0
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    adb -d shell stop
    adb reboot recovery

Code:
    @echo off
    cd /d %~dp0
    echo.
    adb wait-for-device
    echo.
    adb -d shell stop
    adb reboot

That's perfect thanks a lot brood :)
    Dear sir,

thanks in advance

My first advice is to not quote the OP.
    Secondly, try to use the adb in recovery mode. If this doesn't work either, use the repartition thread guide to restore your /system partition.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using xda premium