[Guide - HOW TO] Recover LG G7 (or other newer LG phones) from EDL or 9008 mode.

Search This thread

sourabh7625

• Jul 20, 2014
    India
    i've kdz for lm810eaw
    file abl xbl and more
    but i've not rawprogram and patch

okay,
    maybe I can help. you need to extract your kdz through LG firmware extractor(link in first page of this guide) and extracted files must have 7 files gptmain_0.bin ....... to ....... gptmain_6.bin.
    share these gpt files to me.

sourabh7625

• Jul 20, 2014
    India

PentiumPowe

Apr 22, 2017
    Parish
    what is the current state of device?
    is fastboot accessible?
    are all physical partitions present?

Hello, thanks for the reply luckily i got my phone up and running again it was in 9008 modes and stuck in that mode I was however able to extract the payload.bin of firmware OTA update Andriod 10 October 2020 Q910UM30o and flash the corresponding a and b partitions of the img files. and once all were flash i rebooted out of edl and to my amazement to an lg logo then all i had to do was perform a factory reset with a button combo and voila phone restored but not without some issues which were the following: camera doesn't work (probably software issue) and youtube app infinitely loads, unable to update chrome ( very weird).

there is supposedly the android 11 update for the g7 one coming out this month which then ill try and flash that to see what results I might get.

Where I grabbed my OTA file from:

Tool I used from a guide i used extract OTA Payload.bins (Full OTA'S Only!) : https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QpsywAbNroDKEDz4TytQl8UlK6v2gJSi/view

And then the guide i used to extract the payload.bin:

alula31313

Mar 11, 2021
    I mistakenly deleted the entire partition on lg g7, but I saved it thanks to the instructions on xda.
    Even so it is offline (due to imei loss) (This phone is permanently locked and can not be unlocked) and I cannot crossflash to verizon either.
    Could your above tutorial help me? Thanks for reading it.

sourabh7625

• Jul 20, 2014
    India
    I mistakenly deleted the entire partition on lg g7, but I saved it thanks to the instructions on xda.
    Even so it is offline (due to imei loss) (This phone is permanently locked and can not be unlocked) and I cannot crossflash to verizon either.
    Could your above tutorial help me? Thanks for reading it.

Once device's complete flash storage is erased, IMEI n SN will be lost and your device will be in locked state or null network signal, same applies to you.

only solution is you must fix 0 IMEI problem to get it able to being on network.

no, my method is only applies to recover from boot problem n download mode.

Last edited:

Laika87

May 23, 2015
    I'm missing a couple of the partitions (like tz_z and hyp_z) in my partition list. I tried loading all of the others, but my phone doesn't appear in adb as a device in the next step. I can get to EDL and fastboot modes. But otherwise, I just see the red triangle. Is there anything else I can try?

hasnawtahmed

Oct 15, 2017
    is this thread still active?
    can someone help me my phone showed a kernal crash screen and now i it is stuck at the loading animation of download mode. these were the steps that i did.

Attachments

• WIN_20210412_14_43_10_Pro.jpg
      WIN_20210412_14_43_10_Pro.jpg
      52.3 KB · Views: 7
    • Screenshot 2021-04-13 020421.png
      Screenshot 2021-04-13 020421.png
      89.2 KB · Views: 7

martellxD1

Apr 13, 2021
    Hi, my pc does not detect my device in fastboot (I have installed the drivers a thousand times) and the download mode stays on my cell phone in less than a second and lgup appears that the headset is not connected.

martellxD1

Apr 13, 2021
    Hi, my pc does not detect my device in fastboot (I have installed the drivers a thousand times) and the download mode stays on my cell phone in less than a second and lgup appears that the headset is not connected.
    I was able to, it was because of a damn 20h2 windows 10 error.

sourabh7625

• Jul 20, 2014
    India
    I'm missing a couple of the partitions (like tz_z and hyp_z) in my partition list. I tried loading all of the others, but my phone doesn't appear in adb as a device in the next step. I can get to EDL and fastboot modes. But otherwise, I just see the red triangle. Is there anything else I can try?

which windows version are you using ??
    device model ?
    so you can access EDL and LG download mode & fastboot successfully.

sourabh7625

• Jul 20, 2014
    India
    is this thread still active?
    can someone help me my phone showed a kernal crash screen and now i it is stuck at the loading animation of download mode. these were the steps that i did.

I think you must try LG bridge's recovery option called "update error recovery" first before moving to unofficial alternatives.

davidelk

Aug 16, 2016
    Hello, first of all thanks for this thread, I need some help. I can´t extract the dz file, I tried with at least 4 kdz firmwares i download already, always get the same result , my phone is lg g710VM but I managed to install AWM canadian android 10 through LGUP so, maybe with the abl_a it would return to being able to get into download mode cause I loaded v35 over android 10AWM... but no luck with lg extractor

sourabh7625

• Jul 20, 2014
    India
    Hello, first of all thanks for this thread, I need some help. I can´t extract the dz file, I tried with at least 4 kdz firmwares i download already, always get the same result , my phone is lg g710VM but I managed to install AWM canadian android 10 through LGUP so, maybe with the abl_a it would return to being able to get into download mode cause I loaded v35 over android 10AWM... but no luck with lg extractor

use python extractor.
    or this one

knnsz

May 16, 2016
    denizli
    fastboot flash boot boot_a.img
    fastboot flash boot_b boot_a.img
    fastboot flash boot_a boot_a.img
    fastboot flash abl abl_a.img
    fastboot flash abl_b abl_a.img
    fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.img
    fastboot flash laf laf_a.img
    fastboot flash laf_b laf_a.img
    fastboot flash laf_a laf_a.img

Where do I find these img files?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
      I have followed the instructions and cannot boot past lg logo. I am lost because I have tried multiple .kdz files and they all failed to get back to android. I assume it's because I tried to flash ULM firmware instead of PM. I had to use ULM because there are no lg g710PMxx.kdz files as far as I can tell (because Sprint doesn't support FOTA updates, I guess). The .kdz files weren't corrupted because I had no failures extracting the .dz files.
      I have backups of the original abl and laf partitions but nothing else.

I am talking to a seller on Ebay about getting an up-to-date lg g710PM backup sent to me but I have no clue what program to use, what needs to be sent, and if it will work in the first place.

Could someone tell me if it's possible to make a Sprint .kdz file I could flash with Qfil or some other utility? Or would I be able to do something with the current firmware and sprinkle in Sprint partition backups? I just need to boot to android and reenable oem unlock to get the phone rooted and continue with my previous goal.

Thank you and good luck to everyone in our lg issue boat!

okay , so your device can boot up(not having any bootloader problem) but can't get past LG logo to system. right ?

will you confirm that your device can boot into LG download mode ??
      * switch off device then connect it to PC while holding VOL+ button, now it must shows a USB sign.
      okay , so your device can boot up(not having any bootloader problem) but can't get past LG logo to system. right ?

* switch off device then connect it to PC while holding VOL+ button, now it must shows a USB sign.
      It shows the download mode screen, but even with LG UP open and searching, the device will just reboot.
      have you installed LG official mobile driver?
      which firmware you are using to get boot into system?
      I am using G710ULM20e_00_NAO_US_OP_1010.kdz as my kdz file. Other kdz files I have downloaded have been corrupted.
      I have the lg Mobile drivers installed from the guide. Are there others?
      EDL and fastboot work but I can only get into fastboot once. Then I get the red case. EDL is pretty reliable to get into.
      ****** Unbrick all LG G7 models ******
      ********** This guide is getting updated into two methods **********

(i). Recover from any boot problem to system or download mode.(which is defined below)

This technique have been very useful to me for fixing my device and there is no any particular guide to fix brick device easily. That's why it is a must to share.
      * As long as you can access EDL(9008) mode in your device you can fix your bricked device *

There are so many developers online if you can find who claim to fix or unbrick your bricked device by charging a hefty amount even after that you can not trust them.

****** I am here just to help you so if you want you can donate to me on paypal ******

This guide has been compiled to fix all the phones which are in bricked state and completely dead state as long as you can access EDL mode(which is a Qualcomm's hidden flashing mode bult into hardware) you are able to fix your phones.

This guide applies to all the following problems :
      Boot loop.
      Fastboot boot loop(looping in fastboot).
      Stuck at LG logo.
      No recovery mode.
      No fastboot mode.
      Red triangle(security error).
      "Press key to shut" message displays.
      Seems like No sign of life.
      And when connects to PC :
      QHSUSB BULK or QLOADER or something like that when connects to PC or red LED.

Why are you facing this problem??
      Downgrading android version of your phone.
      Flashing wrong recovery image.
      Flashing wrong firmware/ROM.
      Flashing wrong bootloader/fastboot image.
      While playing with your phone just for fun.
      And many more....

Tools required :
      - Qualcomm USB drivers. https://mega.nz/file/YAVhFIiC#nF-cChZklhcsxMHk24GhsB6rlE119erQqmXuBu21c6c
      - LG mobile drivers. https://mega.nz/file/4UU3RSJb#iJu32uFbPsSrhIPoVr-BS1f2RqHnqL95lePDhDnK7NY
      - LGUP tool lab version and LGUP common dll. https://mega.nz/file/MJdjxCqb#THo7EpmCqFUNa5VHMQcWI5D6M4QcR5p2vhQ77le0Gzo
      - LG V35 abl image. https://mega.nz/file/wBV3UaQK#G0bF9gYz9Jb8FjdJsCAP0wmIOSqHrOFUjvUiPOsj91Q
      - LG firmware extractor. https://mega.nz/file/oZMzGS6Q#JmYlsH9YgU_CmR5Ra0gjIOg_4S6fNVFPgl3UV0BRz0s
      - KDZ tools. https://mega.nz/file/hJNVWAyY#KL8dypxmDXOJ3I9njzQW2TYE-ZgrHaiwnmenNbBcGRs
      - QFIL tool. https://mega.nz/file/4AdjXCAS#tWf6XUYO3OxHjZ_XDJZopOtQpVkggW2170QIKDW0JK8
      - Snapdragon 845 UFS firehose. https://mega.nz/file/8Zk0AAJQ#-WBO38OBXo6TnykCoOaoXeV2zBxHaUyoq3sR6lmFTtQ
      - ADB tool. https://mega.nz/file/URtWmAxZ#TRNwkp9ZQw4BG1we2cxu623fT-6O6XJsBcylNevSF0g
      - Stock f/w KDZ for your particuar device no less than last working andriod and build version.
      - Knowledge how to boot into EDL (without shorting test pin it can fuse device board).

* Steps :
      Step 1 : uninstall all the phone related drivers and restart PC.

Step 2 : to successfully install drivers and software follow below guide -
      a. open commant prompt with admin rights run these commands so windows can allow to install driver properly.
      - bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
      - bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
      (these will disable driver signature enforcement and put windows into test mode)
      and restart
      c. install Qualcomm drivers
      d. install LG mobile drivers
      e. install QPST
      f. install LGUP lab version and place LGUP_Common.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll and restart PC

*** When you boot your phone in download mode and instead it goes into fastboot then you should first open LGUP and then connect phone in download mode because I as experienced this time somehow LGUP forces the phone to stay in download mode rather than switching to fastboot ***
      (
      if thuis works proceed to step 9 else not then step 3)

Step 3 : open LG firmware extract and click open in KDZ row and select downloaded firmware kdz and let it load then check G710xx something from list and click extract if there is any error in log then your kdz file is corrupted, if success then it will produce a DZ file and now in DZ row click open and select DZ file now tool will show you a long list, now select all the items and extract. This will produce so many files in LG firmware extractor folder.

Step 4 : place your kdz file in KDZ tools folder and select OneKeyExtraction.bat type Y, it will produce a dz file and several img files in a folder named as your firmware KDZ's name. copy boot_a.img , abl_a.img , laf_a.img to adb folder for fastboot flashing.

Step 5 : open QFIL from it's installation location and check build type to flat build and in programm file select prog_ufs_firehose_Sdm845_lge.elf file and in lower right corner select storage type to UFS.

Step 6 : connect your device to PC and boot into EDL mode by
      a. if it is in any ON condition : POWER button + VOLUME DOWN and prepare to press VOLUME UP repeatedly as soon as phone switches off
      b. if it is in dead condition : connecting to PC automatically boot into EDL mode.
      if phone is connected in EDL mode now Device manager must show a device under ports tree somehting named as Qualcom HS-USB QLOADER 9008(Com_X)
      * if you have bricked your device then I assume you already know how to boot into EDL mode.

Step 7 : now in QFIL select port and select your device, select Tools from QFIL toolbar and select Partition Manger, in warning window ckick OK if you've selected right 845's firehose elf file and after success it must show a list of many partions of your phone.
      flashing : it's time for flashing.

*Note: select all the image files one by one in Lg firmware extract folder by typing name in file name control like as showed in screenshot Files_location.jpg.
      Files_location.jpg

it will take patience because it's a manual one, order must be followed coz tha's the thing that matters...

- find select and right click on "xbl_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl.elf_6"
      - find select and right click on "xbl_config_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl_config.ebl_902"
      - find select and right click on "xbl_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl.elf_6"
      - find select and right click on "xbl_config_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl_config.ebl_902"
      - find select and right click on "tz_z" then manage partition data and select load then select "tz.mbn_134"
      - find select and right click on "hyp_z" then manage partition data and select load then select "hyp.mbn_646"
      - find select and right click on "boot_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "boot.img_163830"
      - find select and right click on "cmnlib_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib.mbn_81670"
      - find select and right click on "cmnlib64_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib64.mbn_81798"
      - find select and right click on "boot_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "boot.img_163830"
      - find select and right click on "cmnlib_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib.mbn_81670"
      - find select and right click on "cmnlib64_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib64.mbn_81798"
      - find select and right click on "abl_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "V35abl.img"
      - find select and right click on "abl_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "V35abl.img"
      - find select and right click on "raw_Resources_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "raw_resources.img_194918"
      - find select and right click on "tz_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "tz.mbn_134"
      - find select and right click on "hyp_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "hyp.mbn_646"
      - find select and right click on "laf_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "laf.img_81990"
      - find select and right click on "laf_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "laf.img_81990"

close partition manager and let it restart device into EDL again.

Step 8 : boot your device in fasboot which is currently in EDL mode, to do so press Power + Volume down button and ready to leave Power as soon as phone restart while keep pressing Volume down
      a. open command prompt in adb folder and verify device connectivity by
      fastboot devices
      * it must show a device something like LMV35EAWx.
      b. perform these commands, order must be followed coz tha's the thing that matters:
      fastboot erase boot
      fastboot erase boot_a
      fastboot erase boot_b
      fastboot erase abl
      fastboot erase abl_a
      fastboot erase abl_b
      fastboot erase laf
      fastboot erase laf_a
      fastboot erase laf_b
      fastboot flash boot boot_a.img
      fastboot flash boot_b boot_a.img
      fastboot flash boot_a boot_a.img
      fastboot flash abl abl_a.img
      fastboot flash abl_b abl_a.img
      fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.img
      fastboot flash laf laf_a.img
      fastboot flash laf_b laf_a.img
      fastboot flash laf_a laf_a.img
      and let your device as it is in fastboot.
      we already flashed these partions in EDL mode and flashing in fastboot confirms that partitions do not get overwritten.

Step 9 : open LGUP and somehow proceed to flashing window, where you'll find device list option and many flashing options and a firmware list below, in flashing options select Refurbish and drop your KDZ file in firmware list and follow
      LGUP.jpg

a. now from phone's fastboot menu select restart and hold Volume Up now phone will show download mode bar and in few seconds LGUP will recognise your device in list same as above screenshot.
      b. flash you KDZ and let your device boot into system.

Now you have a fully working device.

(ii). Recover from dead boot or no paritions list in QFIL partition manager.(hard brick)
      **if you have urgency you can donate money so I can focus on yours**

I worked around G7's stock kdz and fortunately end up generating flashing file for a single partition but there are so many(100+) partitions and this single one took 1+ hour, which was hardly to arrange. You can imagine how much time 100+ partitions would take to be prepared.
      Problem is I have a time consuming pay job so I can not waste my time on this unless you donate some money and get your device guaranteed recovered ASAP.

** UPDATE **
      The guide I was working on, was more complex for noob to understand.
      be patience I am slowly working with python scripts and a easy guide which will help you to flash empty device.

***use rawprogram and patch at your risk because it will result in 0 IMEI problem that causes no network signal but your device will be fixed***
      And if anyone want to flash firmware through QFIL in that case I am also attaching G710EAW partition.xml , rawprograms.xml, patch.xml and flashable gpt_main & gpt_backup bin.

Thanks for your support.
      Questions are welcome.

THANKS SO MUCH
      I have followed the instructions and cannot boot past lg logo. I am lost because I have tried multiple .kdz files and they all failed to get back to android. I assume it's because I tried to flash ULM firmware instead of PM. I had to use ULM because there are no lg g710PMxx.kdz files as far as I can tell (because Sprint doesn't support FOTA updates, I guess). The .kdz files weren't corrupted because I had no failures extracting the .dz files.
      I have backups of the original abl and laf partitions but nothing else.

I am talking to a seller on Ebay about getting an up-to-date lg g710PM backup sent to me but I have no clue what program to use, what needs to be sent, and if it will work in the first place.

Could someone tell me if it's possible to make a Sprint .kdz file I could flash with Qfil or some other utility? Or would I be able to do something with the current firmware and sprinkle in Sprint partition backups? I just need to boot to android and reenable oem unlock to get the phone rooted and continue with my previous goal.

Thank you and good luck to everyone in our lg issue boat!

It shows the download mode screen, but even with LG UP open and searching, the device will just reboot.
      have you installed LG official mobile driver?
      which firmware you are using to get boot into system?
      I am using G710ULM20e_00_NAO_US_OP_1010.kdz as my kdz file. Other kdz files I have downloaded have been corrupted.
      I have the lg Mobile drivers installed from the guide. Are there others?
      EDL and fastboot work but I can only get into fastboot once. Then I get the red case. EDL is pretty reliable to get into.
    Our Apps
    Get our official app!
    The best way to access XDA on your phone
    Nav Gestures
    Add swipe gestures to any Android
    One Handed Mode
    Eases uses one hand with your phone