• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Guide - HOW TO] Recover LG G7 (or other newer LG phones) from EDL or 9008 mode.

Search This thread

Tabs.Jairus

Jun 26, 2021
I deleted my Download mode because I tried to u lock my bootloader but I failed because im tunning at android 10 ULM version, and I don't know how to restore my Download mode but I have backup from Qfill. Of my Laf_a and b.

xeg28

Aug 26, 2020
Hello, I tried unbricking with this forum and everything worked until step 8 because the phone was not detected in fastboot. The kdz file I used was g710ulm21d.
model: LM-G710ULM

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-06-28 155137.png
    Screenshot 2021-06-28 155137.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 15

sourabh7625

Jul 20, 2014
India
I deleted my Download mode because I tried to u lock my bootloader but I failed because im tunning at android 10 ULM version, and I don't know how to restore my Download mode but I have backup from Qfill. Of my Laf_a and b.

If you have not deleted abl,boot,xbl laf partitions by mistake then I am sure your device has corrupted or overlapped download partition.

Enriquecalong

Feb 6, 2019
Hi people, Can someone that have active the DRM L1 can Dump/Share some partitions? please
I need the Drm.img and persist.img ... I need the backup from QFILL...
If works I will do a Guide to have again drm l1 after RED CASE or Hard BRICK

zph0eniz

Aug 18, 2021
Welp I messed up my phone. Have G7 and got to step 8 flash boot boot_a.img and said it couldn't find it.

Saw comment saying to start step 7 again. That was a horrible mistake. Now phone just has tiny text press any button to shutdown on top left. Otherwise black screen. Does nothing else. :(

Enriquecalong

Feb 6, 2019
Welp I messed up my phone. Have G7 and got to step 8 flash boot boot_a.img and said it couldn't find it.

Saw comment saying to start step 7 again. That was a horrible mistake. Now phone just has tiny text press any button to shutdown on top left. Otherwise black screen. Does nothing else. :(
Hi , try this posts... " UNBRICK " but first backup VENDOR and DRM only try if ANYTHING works

sourabh7625

Jul 20, 2014
India

connect your device in EDL mode and perform all steps but skip no.8.

wibigdog

Nov 11, 2015
Well I seen this forum looking for answer but this is not my particular device however I will explain . I have an Lg G8x ThinQ and when we got root I was naive and had accidentally clicked erase entire flash thinking it would just erase the partition data of the one I had selected. This was not the case and it completely erased it leaving me with a blank slate with no download or even a charge screen it is basically dead unless plugged into a pc in which it will boot straight into Edl. I am not expecting your full support but I do have a device backup that I know will work with the device problem being I can't restore it because there's nothing to select! Normally I would restore the partitions one by one as you do but this is not possible since they seem to have been erased in this state. If you have any information on QFIL that would be greatly appreciated I know we're not working on the exact same device but the process is much of the same.

Cheers!
Hello, have you managed to fix the problem? I hard bricked my V50 the same way...

Mr.Conkel

Oct 10, 2020
London
Nexus 7 (2013)
OnePlus 5T
Hello, have you managed to fix the problem? I hard bricked my V50 the same way...
Well yes, sorta. You see, a file is required for reportioning the device. Since Lg isn't open source and I had a warranty on my device I chose to not worry about it as the bootloader was locked when I did this. However I will explain what I learned to my knowledge. Partitons.xml needs to be compiled. You would need an exact replica of the device you have especially to create things like the IMEI and others to make your phone well a phone. Without those unique number strings Android might work but that's about it. So even if you somehow managed to repartition it'd still need a way to restore those. Goodluck and let me know if I can provide something more

wibigdog

Nov 11, 2015
Well yes, sorta. You see, a file is required for reportioning the device. Since Lg isn't open source and I had a warranty on my device I chose to not worry about it as the bootloader was locked when I did this. However I will explain what I learned to my knowledge. Partitons.xml needs to be compiled. You would need an exact replica of the device you have especially to create things like the IMEI and others to make your phone well a phone. Without those unique number strings Android might work but that's about it. So even if you somehow managed to repartition it'd still need a way to restore those. Goodluck and let me know if I can provide something more
Yes, I was doing this hard brick fix tutorial for LG G7 https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/how-to-recover-from-any-hardbrick-or-red-case-in-9008-mode-without-any-boxes.4052841/. They used a rawprogram.xml generator for LG v30, but sadly this program have stopped working for newer models. I have written down my IMEI and S/N. I did the qcn backup thing from QFIL as well.

alexgardo007

Sep 6, 2021
Hola, seguí los pasos de la guía. Pero mi computadora no reconoce el dispositivo. En modo fastboot.

¿Me pueden ayudar?

Attachments

• 20210904_223003.jpg
    20210904_223003.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4

quearte

May 6, 2019
Hola, seguí los pasos de la guía. Pero mi computadora no reconoce el dispositivo. En modo fastboot.

¿Me pueden ayudar?
Speak english here (habla inglés aquí si quieres que te ayuden).

Go to Device Manager and try to find a unknown device or not well LG recognized device. Select it and install manually a controller from a list. In the list, look for Android device and then choose Android Bootloader device. Now you can work the phone on Fastboot.

King Yaw

Sep 26, 2021
I'm missing a couple of the partitions (like tz_z and hyp_z) in my partition list. I tried loading all of the others, but my phone doesn't appear in adb as a device in the next step. I can get to EDL and fastboot modes. But otherwise, I just see the red triangle. Is there anything else I can try?
its suppose to be (tz_a and hyp_a) instead of (tz_z and hyp_z) I can help you flash it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    ****** Unbrick all LG G7 models ******
    ********** This guide has updated into two methods **********

(i). Recover from any boot problem to system or download mode.(which is defined below)

This technique have been very useful to me for fixing my device and there is no any particular guide to fix brick device easily. That's why it is a must to share.
    * As long as you can access EDL(9008) mode in your device you can fix your bricked device *

There are so many developers online if you can find who claim to fix or unbrick your bricked device by charging a hefty amount even after that you can not trust them.

****** I am here just to help you so if you want you can donate to me on paypal ******

This guide has been compiled to fix all the phones which are in bricked state and completely dead state as long as you can access EDL mode(which is a Qualcomm's hidden flashing mode bult into hardware) you are able to fix your phones.

This guide applies to all the following problems :
    Boot loop.
    Fastboot boot loop(looping in fastboot).
    Stuck at LG logo.
    No recovery mode.
    No fastboot mode.
    Red triangle(security error).
    "Press key to shut" message displays.
    Seems like No sign of life.
    And when connects to PC :
    QHSUSB BULK or QLOADER or something like that when connects to PC or red LED.

Why are you facing this problem??
    Downgrading android version of your phone.
    Flashing wrong recovery image.
    Flashing wrong firmware/ROM.
    Flashing wrong bootloader/fastboot image.
    While playing with your phone just for fun.
    And many more....

Tools required :
    - Qualcomm USB drivers. https://mega.nz/file/YAVhFIiC#nF-cChZklhcsxMHk24GhsB6rlE119erQqmXuBu21c6c
    - LG mobile drivers. https://mega.nz/file/4UU3RSJb#iJu32uFbPsSrhIPoVr-BS1f2RqHnqL95lePDhDnK7NY
    - LGUP tool lab version and LGUP common dll. https://mega.nz/file/MJdjxCqb#THo7EpmCqFUNa5VHMQcWI5D6M4QcR5p2vhQ77le0Gzo
    - LG V35 abl image. https://mega.nz/file/wBV3UaQK#G0bF9gYz9Jb8FjdJsCAP0wmIOSqHrOFUjvUiPOsj91Q
    - LG firmware extractor. https://mega.nz/file/oZMzGS6Q#JmYlsH9YgU_CmR5Ra0gjIOg_4S6fNVFPgl3UV0BRz0s
    - KDZ tools. https://mega.nz/file/hJNVWAyY#KL8dypxmDXOJ3I9njzQW2TYE-ZgrHaiwnmenNbBcGRs
    - QFIL tool. https://mega.nz/file/4AdjXCAS#tWf6XUYO3OxHjZ_XDJZopOtQpVkggW2170QIKDW0JK8
    - Snapdragon 845 UFS firehose. https://mega.nz/file/8Zk0AAJQ#-WBO38OBXo6TnykCoOaoXeV2zBxHaUyoq3sR6lmFTtQ
    - ADB tool. https://mega.nz/file/URtWmAxZ#TRNwkp9ZQw4BG1we2cxu623fT-6O6XJsBcylNevSF0g
    - Stock f/w KDZ for your particuar device no less than last working andriod and build version.
    - Knowledge how to boot into EDL (without shorting test pin it can fuse device board).

* Steps :
    Step 1 : uninstall all the phone related drivers and restart PC.

Step 2 : to successfully install drivers and software follow below guide -
    a. open commant prompt with admin rights run these commands so windows can allow to install driver properly.
    - bcdedit.exe -set loadoptions DDISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS
    - bcdedit.exe -set TESTSIGNING ON
    (these will disable driver signature enforcement and put windows into test mode)
    and restart
    c. install Qualcomm drivers
    d. install LG mobile drivers
    e. install QPST
    f. install LGUP lab version and place LGUP_Common.dll in C:\Program Files (x86)\LG Electronics\LGUP\model\common\LGUP_Common.dll and restart PC

*** When you boot your phone in download mode and instead it goes into fastboot then you should first open LGUP and then connect phone in download mode because I as experienced this time somehow LGUP forces the phone to stay in download mode rather than switching to fastboot ***
    (
    if thuis works proceed to step 9 else not then step 3)

Step 3 : open LG firmware extract and click open in KDZ row and select downloaded firmware kdz and let it load then check G710xx something from list and click extract if there is any error in log then your kdz file is corrupted, if success then it will produce a DZ file and now in DZ row click open and select DZ file now tool will show you a long list, now select all the items and extract. This will produce so many files in LG firmware extractor folder.

Step 4 : place your kdz file in KDZ tools folder and select OneKeyExtraction.bat type Y, it will produce a dz file and several img files in a folder named as your firmware KDZ's name. copy boot_a.img , abl_a.img , laf_a.img to adb folder for fastboot flashing.

Step 5 : open QFIL from it's installation location and check build type to flat build and in programm file select prog_ufs_firehose_Sdm845_lge.elf file and in lower right corner select storage type to UFS.

Step 6 : connect your device to PC and boot into EDL mode by
    a. if it is in any ON condition : POWER button + VOLUME DOWN and prepare to press VOLUME UP repeatedly as soon as phone switches off
    b. if it is in dead condition : connecting to PC automatically boot into EDL mode.
    if phone is connected in EDL mode now Device manager must show a device under ports tree somehting named as Qualcom HS-USB QLOADER 9008(Com_X)
    * if you have bricked your device then I assume you already know how to boot into EDL mode.

Step 7 : now in QFIL select port and select your device, select Tools from QFIL toolbar and select Partition Manger, in warning window ckick OK if you've selected right 845's firehose elf file and after success it must show a list of many partions of your phone.
    flashing : it's time for flashing.

*Note: select all the image files one by one in Lg firmware extract folder by typing name in file name control like as showed in screenshot Files_location.jpg.
    Files_location.jpg

it will take patience because it's a manual one, order must be followed coz tha's the thing that matters...

- find select and right click on "xbl_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl.elf_6"
    - find select and right click on "xbl_config_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl_config.ebl_902"
    - find select and right click on "xbl_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl.elf_6"
    - find select and right click on "xbl_config_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "xbl_config.ebl_902"
    - find select and right click on "tz_z" then manage partition data and select load then select "tz.mbn_134"
    - find select and right click on "hyp_z" then manage partition data and select load then select "hyp.mbn_646"
    - find select and right click on "boot_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "boot.img_163830"
    - find select and right click on "cmnlib_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib.mbn_81670"
    - find select and right click on "cmnlib64_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib64.mbn_81798"
    - find select and right click on "boot_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "boot.img_163830"
    - find select and right click on "cmnlib_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib.mbn_81670"
    - find select and right click on "cmnlib64_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "cmnlib64.mbn_81798"
    - find select and right click on "abl_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "V35abl.img"
    - find select and right click on "abl_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "V35abl.img"
    - find select and right click on "raw_Resources_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "raw_resources.img_194918"
    - find select and right click on "tz_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "tz.mbn_134"
    - find select and right click on "hyp_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "hyp.mbn_646"
    - find select and right click on "laf_a" then manage partition data and select load then select "laf.img_81990"
    - find select and right click on "laf_b" then manage partition data and select load then select "laf.img_81990"

close partition manager and let it restart device into EDL again.

Step 8 : boot your device in fasboot which is currently in EDL mode, to do so press Power + Volume down button and ready to leave Power as soon as phone restart while keep pressing Volume down
    a. open command prompt in adb folder and verify device connectivity by
    fastboot devices
    * it must show a device something like LMV35EAWx.
    b. perform these commands, order must be followed coz tha's the thing that matters:
    fastboot erase boot
    fastboot erase boot_a
    fastboot erase boot_b
    fastboot erase abl
    fastboot erase abl_a
    fastboot erase abl_b
    fastboot erase laf
    fastboot erase laf_a
    fastboot erase laf_b
    fastboot flash boot boot_a.img
    fastboot flash boot_b boot_a.img
    fastboot flash boot_a boot_a.img
    fastboot flash abl abl_a.img
    fastboot flash abl_b abl_a.img
    fastboot flash abl_a abl_a.img
    fastboot flash laf laf_a.img
    fastboot flash laf_b laf_a.img
    fastboot flash laf_a laf_a.img
    and let your device as it is in fastboot.
    we already flashed these partions in EDL mode and flashing in fastboot confirms that partitions do not get overwritten.

Step 9 : open LGUP and somehow proceed to flashing window, where you'll find device list option and many flashing options and a firmware list below, in flashing options select Refurbish and drop your KDZ file in firmware list and follow
    LGUP.jpg

a. now from phone's fastboot menu select restart and hold Volume Up now phone will show download mode bar and in few seconds LGUP will recognise your device in list same as above screenshot.
    b. flash you KDZ and let your device boot into system.

Now you have a fully working device.

(ii). Recover from dead boot or no partitions list in QFIL partition manager.(hard brick)
    **if you have urgency you can donate money so I can focus on yours**

I worked around G7's stock kdz and fortunately end up generating flashing file for a single partition but there are so many(100+) partitions and this single one took 1+ hour, which was hardly to arrange. You can imagine how much time 100+ partitions would take to be prepared.
    Problem is I have a time consuming job so I can not waste my time on this unless you donate some money and get your device guaranteed recovered ASAP.

** UPDATE **
    The guide I was working on, was more complex for noob to understand.
    be patience I am slowly working with python scripts and a easy guide which will help you to flash empty device.

***use rawprogram and patch at your risk because it will result in 0 IMEI problem that causes no network signal but your device will be fixed***
    And if anyone want to flash firmware through QFIL in that case I am also attaching G710EAW partition.xml , rawprograms.xml, patch.xml and flashable gpt_main & gpt_backup bin.

Thanks for your support.
    Questions are welcome.

THANKS SO MUCH
    I have followed the instructions and cannot boot past lg logo. I am lost because I have tried multiple .kdz files and they all failed to get back to android. I assume it's because I tried to flash ULM firmware instead of PM. I had to use ULM because there are no lg g710PMxx.kdz files as far as I can tell (because Sprint doesn't support FOTA updates, I guess). The .kdz files weren't corrupted because I had no failures extracting the .dz files.
    I have backups of the original abl and laf partitions but nothing else.

I am talking to a seller on Ebay about getting an up-to-date lg g710PM backup sent to me but I have no clue what program to use, what needs to be sent, and if it will work in the first place.

Could someone tell me if it's possible to make a Sprint .kdz file I could flash with Qfil or some other utility? Or would I be able to do something with the current firmware and sprinkle in Sprint partition backups? I just need to boot to android and reenable oem unlock to get the phone rooted and continue with my previous goal.

Thank you and good luck to everyone in our lg issue boat!

okay , so your device can boot up(not having any bootloader problem) but can't get past LG logo to system. right ?

will you confirm that your device can boot into LG download mode ??
    * switch off device then connect it to PC while holding VOL+ button, now it must shows a USB sign.
    okay , so your device can boot up(not having any bootloader problem) but can't get past LG logo to system. right ?

will you confirm that your device can boot into LG download mode ??
    * switch off device then connect it to PC while holding VOL+ button, now it must shows a USB sign.
    It shows the download mode screen, but even with LG UP open and searching, the device will just reboot.
    have you installed LG official mobile driver?
    which firmware you are using to get boot into system?
    I am using G710ULM20e_00_NAO_US_OP_1010.kdz as my kdz file. Other kdz files I have downloaded have been corrupted.
    I have the lg Mobile drivers installed from the guide. Are there others?
    EDL and fastboot work but I can only get into fastboot once. Then I get the red case. EDL is pretty reliable to get into.
    Hi, i follow this guide to fix my bricked V405EBW (suddenly go to edl mode while using LGUP upgrade fw).
    And now, i'm stuck on step 9, it show download mode's logo (animation), then turn off.
    I try using extracted older fw (20a) and upgraded fw (30b - it's not compelete), but nothing changes, dont know where i went wrong :( Please help me out!
    Thanks

have you completed step 8 ?
    if yes, close everything then first connect your phone in fastboot and open LGUP click OK(in no device connected popup). a window will open containing empty list.

now restart phone through fastboot menu and press Vol+.

*opening LGup first forces phone to keep in download mode.