[GUIDE] How to remove/disable bloatware apps in S8+ without root

Search This thread

Kizoky

Jun 13, 2014
Between 2 Castles
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hi, thought this might be useful to users who are new to Android, or to other users who just got a phone with a new Android
This guide not only applies to S8/S8+ but to other phones that are higher than Android 6.0+

With this method you can remove apps that are by default unremovable If you try to manual removing them in the settings, aka. the bloatware that nobody needs.
For example, you can't remove Bixby Voice because it is part of the System, but with this method you can easily remove it. (I don't know if it completely removes it, but it won't be running in the background anymore)

s0S1f2o.jpg

So what do we do?
First we need to find out the package name of this app, you can do this by downloading System app removal, that has an option to view package names, aswell as the size of an app

71SFHQ3.jpg

We just found out the package name of this app, now we need to fire up ADB
You can download ADB from this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

If you installed adb systemwide, you can just bring up cmd, and enter adb
Note, that adb requires enabling USB debugging, otherwise it won't work!
in cmd type adb devices and press enter

A6hMsve.png

You should see a message in your phone, just tap ok
Your PC now should see the phone
It should show random numbers and letters, next to device If you did it right
Note: You may need to type again adb devices If your PC didn't recognized it at first

For the next step we'll finally remove the said app
Type adb shell then press enter

njCMc9u.png

You will see something like this, and now comes the removing part
If you wish to remove an app, you need to enter this:

PHP:
pm uninstall -k --user 0 <package name>
And now I will remove Bixby Voice

sdBidbE.png

Note: I already removed it, and it gives me this message, but I'll show you what happens
If you remove an app that is still installed on your phone

LL9DLLg.png

And that's it! These apps no longer exists on the phone

For proof I will show you that System app removal can't find the apps anymore:
AK2Oc91.jpg

Hope you find this useful
Note: Some system apps will reinstall themselves such as Bixby, there's no known method ATM on how to completely disable them

Last edited:

benyou54

Feb 25, 2016
Nancy
Hello. By this method it's not removed but hide for the user 0 (you). If you factory reset your phone, the app will appear again [emoji6]
Hi, thought this might be useful to users who are new to Android, or to other users who just got a phone with a new Android
This guide not only applies to S8/S8+ but to other phones that are higher than Android 6.0+

With this method you can remove apps that are by default unremovable If you try to manual removing them in the settings, aka. the bloatware that nobody needs.
For example, you can't remove Bixby Voice because it is part of the System, but with this method you can easily remove it. (I don't know if it completely removes it, but it won't be running in the background anymore)

s0S1f2o.jpg

So what do we do?
First we need to find out the package name of this app, you can do this by downloading System app removal, that has an option to view package names, aswell as the size of an app

71SFHQ3.jpg

You can download ADB from this thread: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

A6hMsve.png

Note: You may need to type again adb devices If your PC didn't recognized it at first

njCMc9u.png

PHP:

sdBidbE.png

Note: I already removed it, and it gives me this message, but I'll show you what happens

LL9DLLg.png

AK2Oc91.jpg

Envoyé de mon SM-N935F en utilisant Tapatalk

MiMtnBiker

Nov 28, 2014
There is a similar guide on how to do this here.

Does this work with Oreo? I thought I read somewhere that the pm uninstall command was disabled in Oreo for the S8/+? Please correct me if I am wrong.

wintermute000

Jul 13, 2010
if you use the adb method is there a way to reinstall short of a factory reset? obviously there is no apk (or is there?).

I trashed all the bixby packages which is great, except that breaks bxactions which isn't so great lol (then again bxactions may be broken by Sammy next update anyway)

Kizoky

Jun 13, 2014
Between 2 Castles
Samsung Galaxy S8+
if you use the adb method is there a way to reinstall short of a factory reset? obviously there is no apk (or is there?).

I trashed all the bixby packages which is great, except that breaks bxactions which isn't so great lol (then again bxactions may be broken by Sammy next update anyway)

If you do a factory reset, they should be re-enabled

bovoro

Mar 11, 2011
Nayarit
Realme 7 Pro
Thanks @Kizoky I was looking for a solution for this precisely, and obviously all mods in stock ROMs are deleted when doing a hard reset, like wallpaper, font, ringtone, all back to stock......

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

s0S1f2o.jpg

So what do we do?

71SFHQ3.jpg

A6hMsve.png

njCMc9u.png

PHP:

sdBidbE.png

LL9DLLg.png

AK2Oc91.jpg

Note: Some system apps will reinstall themselves such as Bixby, there's no known method ATM on how to completely disable them